PDA

View Full Version : Hatsugo no Hogosha: Guardian of the Firstborn [FATE]

LoP
2015-04-25, 11:06 PM
r a i n. . .
http://i.imgur.com/eU6hPdVl.jpg

Months since Hanako's funeral. And still, every time you see her name on a piece of mail, it sends a chill down your spine.

This particular piece of mail was rain-sodden, as was everything else since the Pacific Northwest's worst weather since you arrived here. It was a magazine Hanako apparently read, some women's fashion confection, and a little notice stuck to the cover was reminding her to renew her subscription.

You are home, at a very dark looking 4 pm (storm clouds and torrential rain tends to do that). It'll be a few hours before you have to pick up Selena from soccer practice (a sport saved from the weather by the construction of the local indoor field near the school), so you are doing a few typical house organizing chores before you have to do anything particularly important.

Like pick up your niece. Or start preparing for dinner (out of the two of you, Noah is the better cook). Or re-teach yourself a little algebra so you can (sort of) attempt to oversee Selena's homework.

Or repolish your sword; that kitsune you killed last night went down quickly, but not before leaving its mark on you and your gear.
Or investigate the pile of notebooks Hanako left behind, each guarded by a magical ward.
Or check the perimeter of sensor wards and seals.
Or check to see if the foreboding sense of dread about this weather is justified or not.

So much to do, so little time.

Ok, after writing and re-writing this probably like a bajillion times, I finally deleted everything, wrote something that FELT right, without editing, and then just hit submit. I feel better. A weight off my chest. :-P

This is just keeping things open ended, so you can actually start things off by setting a tone with your first post. I'll typically bold and italicize anything worth mentioning.

The above is stuff that we can start off with, but always keep in mind I develop things organically, so don't feel obligated to stick with "the GM's plan" because I assure you I have none. :-P

Ridai
2015-04-26, 05:40 AM
Funny how a few pieces of wet paper with nothing interesting printed on them can stop you in your tracks. Haruka wanted to throw the magazine away, it would just remind the family of what they have lost in a new way, and one that feels like a taunting slap. Looking at the colorful cover, the smiling face actually having something unique to it from the bent and wavy shape of the whole thing from all the water, the purpose of it comes to mind. It helped make Hanako seem like a normal woman and keep a finger on the pulse of the world. Hatsugo have a talent for that, always knowing the way the world is going. The thought that she might also just liked to read these things was quickly pushed aside befor eit became a tangent of its own.

A look at the living room clock: 4pm. Mental to-do list. Picking up Serena being the delimiter of this particular stretch of time to get to said list. A look out of the window. The rain just won't let up. It is weather like this that famously makes people want to stand at the window, melancholically sway a glass of alcoholic beverage of choice in one hand as they ponder their feelings and the world to sad piano and violing music. Haruka just wishes the weather would take a little break from borderline-tsunami season to make the drive and pickup quicker (and the mood lighter). Prepare dinner? No, she did it yesterday and she could use a little comfort with her food after the brawl last night. While Haruka has been taught to be self-reliant, that didn't include taking her cooking beyond "healthy and pretty tasty, but nothing spectacular". Or many more western dishes, for that matter, though she has been picking up and trying out new recipes with reasonable success. It is not like she was preparing to care for more people than herself on a daily basis. Or become the stepmother of the girl she was to protect, along with her mother who is now-

Stop. There is no time for self-pity. She is a guardian. She is there to protect the hatsugo and her family with her life. If she isn't stepping up, she isn't doing what she was born to do. The mental training yanks Haruka back to reality. She is still holding the wavy magazine, endlessly grinning up to her. Putting it on the radiator to dry, face down, Haruka takes the roiling sea of her emotions into the basement, to the workbench, to smooth it into a calm mirror of a pond. The workbench hasn't seen that much use in past years, but Haruka changed that. While she isn't a remarkable cook, improvisation and fixing things is more her forte, fixing a few things around the house or making little figurines as cover for what she actually does most of the time down here: maintaining her sword.

She takes Kusano-Ha ("blade of grass") from its hidden stash beneath and behind the workbench, warded against detection. Pulling the sword from its sheath, Haruka inspects the green-tinted metal and where she needs to work the straight blade. Kusano-Ha is to the legendary Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi what guardians are to hatsugo: sharing a heritage, but not on the same level as the unique masterpiece. The masterpiece does wonders, its following works do work. They are on the frontlines, drenched in rain, mud and blood, damaged and broken and repaired, to allow the greater to do what it needs to do and never falter. Haruka's sword is not as perfect and beautiful as the masterpiece (which definitely isn't the decrepit piece of metal the uninitiated are shown back in the homeland), but it has been made for a purpose and does it exceedingly well.

A candle is lit, a prayer to the ancestor spirits within the sword is offered, genuine, sincere. Only then does Haruka begin to sharpen the blade, rid it of imperfections so it may strike true and cut deep. It is her favorite way of meditation, working the blade as she works the waves and ripples of her mind, return both to the way they are meant to be: still, smooth, and always ready to do what must be done. She has treated her wounds, first hiding them, then healing them, but her mind needs to follow suit.

Yay, it begins! Definitely liking the first post. Just go with what you feel like, I won't be sitting her analyzing every word and picking every phrase and story element apart. I guess the motto inside and outside the story is "be water, my friend".

So, let me try this whole rolling business and how to sensibly use it to help the story. In this case, Haruka using Will to Create an Advantage, representing her calming her emotions and focusing on the next task, which will be dealing with the kami to investigate the storm.

[roll0]

LoP
2015-04-28, 06:31 PM
The wily kitsune are notorious for leaving lingering pains, both physical and mental. You are trained in dealing with their tricks, however; through meditation and ritual, and perhaps a little help from your favorite junky, fattening American snack cakes, you disarm and disable the little poisonous thoughts and suggestions the kitsune left in your subconscious, leaving you pleasantly calm and focused - as still and ready as a cresting tidal wave, frozen in place and waiting to sweep in and crash.

Sorry, last week was a nightmare at work.

I'm assuming your Will is +4 (not checking, I trust it is). Next time can you include what exactly you are rolling so I can continue to be lazy? :-P

Anywho, success (I assume a simple Create Advantage roll difficulty of 0)! But you get to choose how.

You can assume you've dealt with anything the kitsune might have done to you, and get the mixed aspect Calm and Collected...? with 2 free invocations on it. Basically, succeed with style... but the aspect itself isn't purely positive, representing the possibility you missed something the kitsune left on you, and so the aspect can be used for a compel.

You can reduce your roll by 2 shifts, representing being VERY careful about checking to make sure there are no lingering effects, to reduce your roll to a success and get Calm and Collected, which is purely beneficial, but you have only 1 free invoke on it.

Afterwards, what do you do next?

Ridai
2015-04-29, 05:42 AM
Transient aspects: Calm and Collected (1 -> 0 free invokes)

Looking at Kusano-Ha, it once again looks like she now feels: as it should. Taking a deep breath, Haruka gently eases the blade back into its sheath and the whole back into its warded hideout. The kitsune are tricky things, the guardian can't afford them to lead her astray, weaken or distract her in a critical moment. Inexperienced as she might be compared to her brethren, Haruka is hardly helpless. Extinguishing the candle and turning off the light, she heads back up into the gray daylight. Time for a quick check. In her calmed state, she manages not to do more than glance at the notebooks Hanako left behind. No, not yet. Soon, she tells herself.

Heading into the bathroom, Haruka takes stock of herself. 1.64 metres tall, weighing 59 kilograms. Wiry, athletic body, trained for efficiency and purpose, well cared for between bouts of mortal danger. Smooth black hair at shoulder length. Potential liability in a fight, but better for fitting in and meeting certain expectations. Also a small indulgence. Bright green eyes, moving as they should. Comely looks, no visible scars, both thanks to her heritage. Haruka fits the image of a beautiful young Japanese woman, which does much to disarm people and lead to a favorable initial disposition. People expect a certain gentleness and politeness that helps with maintaining her facade. Similarity to Hanako helps further. Athletic build often surprises, makes her more interesting. Gives some leeway with other surprises without straining expectations too much as of yet. Curves deemed attractive by the people she meets on (semi-)regular basis. White, even teeth, no visible flaws. Coordination working as it should. No lingering aches or stiffness. Calm mental condition. Sufficient.

Being done examining herself clinically, Haruka gives herself a once over. Black, sleek pants for leaving the house immediately if needed. Red t-shirt with white asymmetric patterns, giving an energetic look. She hates blouses and shirts. Rip too easily and the buttons heat up (or even melt) way too much and often. Has to wear them on more official occasions (mundane ones, that is), sometimes with a skirt added. Can't be helped. Small jade necklace she was given by Hanako when she was small and only had started her training. Simple white socks. Casual look. And one she likes. Her mirror image shows a smile before she heads back to business.

Up to the bedroom Haruka goes, but not without peering out of the windows and examining the house (subtly) as she goes, watching for omens, small signs of something bleeding out of the Shinkai. seating herself on her half of the double-bed, facing the windows. Back straight, hands in her lap, relaxed. Deep breaths. She feels the world around her, and the hidden world beyond, watching for disturbances, something off. The kami that go by unnoticed by normal people. She softly begins to chant in ancient Japanese. Noah thinks her side of the family has a spiritual side (which is, in a way, very true) and thinks of these as part meditation, part relaxation. He likes the sound of her chants and singing, helps him relax and sleep. She allows herself a smile because of that before her razor-focus returns. She summons the nearby kami to her, especially those attuned to the weather, to ask them whether they have witnessed something unusual in the town and especially about the storm. All done to protect the hatsugo, they know. The divine family is respected by many kami, but that does not mean all of them spill everything for them. Or immediately know what the human is asking about.

Life happens. :smallsmile:

Will include the exact roll from now on.

I'll go with Calm and Collected, though it is a difficult choice, as the more ambiguous one is very tempting. Not because of the extra invoke, but the compel. It would fit Haruka having to juggle lots of things and still being a relatively rookie Guardian. On the other hand, things are relatively calm right now and there will be more than enough mistakes and such down the line to have a progression from "relatively stable" to "barely holding on" and back again, to not wear out either. Haruka's struggling, but she deserves some credit.

I like getting that choice, though.

Anyway, on to the next roll: checking for omens bleeding into the mortal world and asking the kami whether they feel something off or if there has been something unusual going on in their world.

Kami-no-Michi (+2, invoking Calm and Collected for a total of +4) to Overcome
[roll0]

edit: Good thing I went with the "business as usual" approach, as the rolls are definitely going with that as well. Unexpected synergy.

Also, my posts are pretty voluminous, partially due to setting things up, introducing etc. Still, are they still of acceptable size?

LoP
2015-05-04, 03:07 AM
Your post length is fine... if anything, its making up for my lack of posting! Hopefully I'll be able to bridge that gap in the future.

Anywho, you use the free Invoke on Calm and Collected... that Aspect is spent, since it isn't really persistent (you created it after all). But you still succeed in your attempt.

m a p l e ...
As always, its hard to call upon the counsel of the kami in North America... this is an alien land with an alien Shinkai. North American spirits have their own rules, and their own brand of territorialism. But the kami of your homeland have made their way to every part of the globe, riding along on the coat-tails of Japanese and those who honor the Yamato way to every land they have ventured to, and your methods to contact them, bolstered by your own mental preparations, is sufficient to contact a local forest spirit.

"Hello, hogosha," the spirit says. You can't see it, but you feel its presence, like that of a person looking over your shoulder. It smells of maple syrup and sunshine on grass, and you feel the faint tactile sensation of rough bark on your skin.
http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/dancing-japanese-maple-rona-black.jpg

"I am Chisano Kaede no Ha but in your esteemed presence you may call me Kaede​, if you wish. How can I help you, Honored Guardian? Are you here to stop the Thunderbird?"

Ridai
2015-05-04, 06:05 AM
In what language does Kaede speak, or is this a matter of both simply speaking naturally and the other understanding their words as if in their own language? If the latter, Haruka speaks in Japanese, if Kaede is actually speaking in English, she answers likewise.

Haruka bends forward with a straight back, just the right angle. Too shallow would mean arrogance, too deep would imply meekness. Straightening back up into a relaxed, but upright posture, the hogosha answers evenly, knowing she does not need to speak loudly, keeping her eyes closed to properly focus on the sensations of the kami.

"Good day, Chisano Kaede no Ha." Acknowledging the full name being a sign of respect for the kami and a thanks for answering her request. She quietly takes in the news of the storm being a Thunderbird. Native American folklore has been part of her studies since she knew she would be sent to protect Hanako and Selena and what she does know is that a Thunderbird is infamous for its destructive power and its violent, hair-trigger temper. A fight has become much more likely, but should not be the absolute first choice. "Yes, it is a risk I cannot take if it is headed here. All information you can give me regarding its location, course, intentions and nature would be appreciated."

LoP
2015-05-04, 02:31 PM
You are speaking the language of the kami, which isn't spoken. If a mundane were to come across you right now, it would look like you are in a trance, kind of gently swaying, not saying anything. You could almost say the language of the kami is telepathic, though anyone attuned to the Shinkai would see and hear a normal conversation. Spirits from other ... cosmologies, I guess? ... wouldn't perfectly understand what you were communicating about but could still easily work out intent and feeling. Similarly, if you were to run across, say, a skald writing sky-runes to a einherjer, you wouldn't be able to read the runes but you'd get the general gist of what they were talking about, and anyone else would just see the skald kind of gesturing in the air.

Also, no real need to roll here.

You feel a shimmer and blush of pleasure from the kami at being addressed so respectfully. You get the sensation of youth and naivety from Kaede, as if it were a "young" spirit... though of course "young" to spirits could really mean anything.

"I like you," it giggles. "You are nicer than the other one. And of course I'll tell you all I can, but I don't know much. Just that it has been raining for ever so long, my trees need the sun so the sugar can continue to flow. The Thunderbird has never been this sad for so long.

"Hatsugo-sama... " and Kaede pauses, the way humans would in awkwardness when speaking of the dead. "Hatsugo-sama would visit the Thunderbird sometimes, I think, in Shinkai, at the top of the purple mountain. But that was... a while ago. I'm sorry.

"Are you going to make the rain stop?"

Ridai
2015-05-04, 03:59 PM
Goodness, I'm really liking the atmosphere of the game so far. "Quiet time" feels so rare in games on this board.

Also, thank you for the clarification over in the OOC.
A small smile curls Haruka's lips for just a moment at Kaede's reaction. Seems she is not the only young one present. But the mention of another dims it immediately, Haruka having to focus to catch the mention of the Thunderbird being sad. If that view holds up, it teaches her to keep an open mind, that mortal folklore does not necessarily see the whole picture, even as obscured as it is.

Then comes the mention of Hanako and only stoic strength of will keeps Haruka from flinching noticably. Focus. Hanako visited the Thunderbird. She hasn't done so for at least three... three months. In this moment, thinking hurts. Deep breath. Always breathe deeply, evenly. The basis of strength, the basis of calm, the basis of focus, dulling the ache. There is a moment of silence before the answer comes.

"Yes. I do not compare to the hatsugo, but what I can do, I will." The mind wants to will a reassuring smile, her body language meets it halfway with calm quiet. "You mentioned another hogosha. When did you last see him?"

LoP
2015-05-04, 04:39 PM
"The season had just changed. He was demanding... he was always telling me to guard this or guard that. I did what I could, but I am not a guardian... all I can really do is to grow when it is growing time, and sleep when it is cold and time to sleep. If you don't mind my saying it, but he was rude... I know he had an important role to fulfill, but that isn't an excuse to be rude, I think."

Ridai
2015-05-04, 05:23 PM
"I am sorry your encounters with him weren't... pleasant. Time is often short and pressure always high." Satoshi and Haruka were never all that close, either. They are more... acquaintances that happen to be related by blood and share a task.

"I will go visit the Thunderbird as soon as I am able to. Thank you for your help, Kaede." Another measured bow. "I have to get back to my duties, but should you sense something off or alarming in the Shinkai, feel free to contact me." Haruka considers for a moment. "Though please do so when I am alone, if possible."

Once Haruka is fully back in the mortal world with all her senses, she breathes in and out deeply one more time before opening her eyes, seeing more rain against the window, endlessly. A moment is spent reflecting on the conversation before stretching and getting up. The guardian glances at the nightstand clock as she heads out of the room to see how much time she has got to work with before driving over to pick up Selena, momentarily glad the family owns a car suitable for their needs and robust enough to endure the weather moderately well.

LoP
2015-05-04, 05:32 PM
You have about an hour left, not much time to do anything meaningful really before you are scheduled to pick up Selena.

Its at about this time that your cell goes off: its Noah.

"Hey," he says artlessly, in the distracted way he has when he's simultaneously working on something. "I'm going to be pretty late coming home tonight, so it'll probably be just you and Selena for dinner. I'll pick something up for myself on the way back, so don't worry about me. You staying dry?"

Ridai
2015-05-05, 03:28 AM
Haruka picks up and continues walking to the kitchen, checking the house's wards on the way. She won't have the time to do a full check. She often doesn't have all the time she needs. Can't be helped now.

"Hey," she answers, a smile carried by her voice, even as she can predict what will follow. An understanding "mhm" when he says it. Can't be helped either. "For another hour at least. Submarine voyage after that." Momentary gladness that they also have a second car, usually used for shorter distances. And a garage. Bless Hanako's foresight. It's hardly a tsunami outside (she would know, she had to survive one as part of her training)

"Be careful on the road, storm's only getting meaner from the looks of it. I'll leave some tea on the counter." For purposes of warming up. As she is walking and talking and checking wards, Haruka flips through her mental catalogue of what she could make for dinner. There's some beef in the fridge that should be used up soon. She adds curry to the list of possible dishes. Sandwiches are also a possibility. That goes on the list as well. Satay would be good, but no time to marinade.

LoP
2015-05-06, 12:48 AM
"Thanks, you're the best," Noah says before hanging up. You are about to end the call too, but then you hear it. Its barely audible, but its there.

A click.

Huh.

On your brief run through of the house, you don't detect anything really amiss. But as you know, its really just a cursory look. Though, you notice something kind of odd, right on your doorstep, visible through the living room front window: there is a line of rice, forming a near perfect "dotted line", right across the path.

And you know, because of your training, that Inari the fox-headed is the beneficent kami of rice and prosperity. Almost as an insult, the fox demons, the kitsune, also adopted rice as their sign. This is what your gut tells you, though of course rice has a myriad of meanings to the kami. Right now you detect no threat, and a more thorough checking of the house's wards shows nothing amiss. You feel safe.

But you have to pick up Selena soon... traffic in the rain might delay things. What do you do?

Ridai
2015-05-06, 04:49 AM
Do not stop, do not stare. If they are watching, don't let them know. Haruka has to assume the worst for now, namely a threat by the allies of the kitsune she killed. But she also has to get going, keep up the feeling of normalcy and have Selena in her reach quickly to better protect her, especially now. Little time, what to do... Thoughts race.

Calm under pressure, Haruka grabs a sheet from the notepad in the kitchen, bites her thumb and improvises a seal in her own blood, a trap for intruding demons and those who might already be on the premises. She could use her inks, but she does not have the time to make a more lasting ward, thus she uses her own essence to make it a truly nasty surprise, one that would also tell Haruka who, when and where a demon tried to intrude. The little cut is willed close with just a bit of concentration, though it doesn't do away the investiture and physical toll. She takes it into the basement, pinning the seal against the wall in the center of the house. If a demon managed to sneak onto the premises, the seal should go off immediately. If not, she hopes it will make demons think twice about trying to invade the home of the hatsugo.

Throwing on a jacket and leaving a quarter hour early (putting the rice into a small jar, she will need to investigate it later), Haruka makes sure all doors and windows are properly locked (including the garage after moving the car into the driveway). Once done, she drives away to pick up Selena, trying to avoid the main roads that might get clogged with vehicles due to the storm.

Was the click on Noah's end?

Overcome roll with Wards (+3) to create basically a trap for demons who are already within the premises or are getting inside them after creation of the ward. She draws the seal with her blood as an emergency measure to make it more powerful, as it will be relatively shortlived (a day or so).
[roll0]

Is taking a box of physical stress in exchange for more power stunt territory or can I just try to do that? Or do I represent this with an invocation (most likely The Many Hats of Haruka, due to the speedy improvisation and lack of time parts)? If the latter, I'll add a +2 invoke with an FP.