PDA

View Full Version : Throwing it all away

Galathir
2007-04-16, 07:32 PM
I am thinking about playing a Bloodstorm Blade from ToB in a upcoming campaign and I have a couple of quick questions.

First, does the "Throw Anything" feat from CW stack with a "Throwing" enhancement? A straight reading of the text seems to indicate that they do not, but perhaps I am missing something.

Secondly, do feats such as "Precise Shot" and "Far Shot" actually contribute to throwing a melee weapon? The text in ToB suggests taking these feats, and you need "Point Blank Shot" to qualify for the PrC, but the feats clearly state that they only apply to ranged weapons. Do melee weapons count as ranged weapons when used by a Bloodstorm Blade or am I missing some very obvious rule?

The "throwing" enhancement gives a melee weapon a ten foot range increment, but doesn't state that it becomes a ranged weapon.

If the weapon does count as a ranged weapon, can you add other enhancements such as "distance" to it?

And finally, do you have any good suggestions for weapons? I was thinking a greatsword since I want to get away from axes but other suggestions would be welcome.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 07:39 PM
I am thinking about playing a Bloodstorm Blade from ToB in a upcoming campaign and I have a couple of quick questions.

First, does the "Throw Anything" feat from CW stack with a "Throwing" enhancement? A straight reading of the text seems to indicate that they do not, but perhaps I am missing something.

They basically do the same thing. You shouldn't need the Throwing enhancement.

Secondly, do feats such as "Precise Shot" and "Far Shot" actually contribute to throwing a melee weapon? The text in ToB suggests taking these feats, and you need "Point Blank Shot" to qualify for the PrC, but the feats clearly state that they only apply to ranged weapons. Do melee weapons count as ranged weapons when used by a Bloodstorm Blade or am I missing some very obvious rule?

Thrown weapons, since they travel a range, are ranged weapons, and are covered by such feats as Precise Shot, Far Shot, and Rapid Shot.

The "throwing" enhancement gives a melee weapon a ten foot range increment, but doesn't state that it becomes a ranged weapon.

If the weapon does count as a ranged weapon, can you add other enhancements such as "distance" to it?

Any weapon with a range increment is a ranged weapon. So yes, you could add Distance.

And finally, do you have any good suggestions for weapons? I was thinking a greatsword since I want to get away from axes but other suggestions would be welcome.

Any weapon, really. Harpoons are good, since they deal damage going in and coming out.

Remember, the main feature of the Bloodstorm Blade is that it allows you to treat throwing as melee, which means things like tripping, power attack, and even Arcane Channeling from the Duskblade are eligible for its use.

I highly recommend going Warblade 5/Master Thrower 5/Bloodstorm Blade 10 for ultimate throwing pwnage.

Galathir
2007-04-16, 07:45 PM
They basically do the same thing. You shouldn't need the Throwing enhancement.
That's what I wanted to know. No sense getting the enhancement if it won't do any good. However, if I could get a range increment of 20 feet, that would be nice.

Any weapon, really. Harpoons are good, since they deal damage going in and coming out.

Good idea. What book might they be found in? I rarely play melee characters so the location of some equipment is still a mystery to me.

Remember, the main feature of the Bloodstorm Blade is that it allows you to treat throwing as melee, which means things like tripping, power attack, and even Arcane Channeling from the Duskblade are eligible for its use.

I highly recommend going Warblade 5/Master Thrower 5/Bloodstorm Blade 10 for ultimate throwing pwnage.

That was the route I was planning to take, although I might leave out the Master Thrower since we aren't going to be getting to level 20.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 07:57 PM
Harpoons, I believe, are in Stormwrack.

Inyssius Tor
2007-04-16, 09:05 PM
Indeed they are. They are also in Frostburn, if I remember correctly.
I was actually just wondering about all this, since I really want to make a harpoon-throwing character.

storybookknight
2007-04-16, 09:07 PM
This character TOTALLY MUST have an ancient nemesis of the seas... I'm thinking the dire shark Black Kalagath, who slew his mentor so long ago...