PDA

View Full Version : Ruin Delver's Fortune

Talya
2007-04-16, 07:38 PM
This spell is...obscene.

I have it on my sorceror. Which means I can use it an incredible number of times per day. It lets me add my (substantial) charisma bonus to a saving throw. It's an "immediate" spell, so I can cast it out of turn, whenever the DM asks me to make a saving throw. Then it lasts for 1d4 rounds.

It's certainly no equalizer between me and a wizard, but honestly, there's not a saving throw in the game I don't make easily now.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-16, 07:55 PM
What level?

Dhavaer
2007-04-16, 07:55 PM
I like it too, albiet more for the abilities than the actual bonuses.

Edit: Level 4.

Talya
2007-04-16, 08:03 PM
4th level spell. My charisma is 26 at level 13...i've got eight 4th level spell slots and +8 charisma bonus. With current saving throws of +13 fort, +14 ref, +17 will, that means I'm +21 vs my weakest save-or-die/lose/suck saves.

JazFireforge
2011-01-16, 11:59 AM
Sigh, my power gamer has persisted this spell...TT TT...three times ><;; i don't even want to talk about his charisma bonus. any ideas for ways around it '-'?

Kalim
2011-01-16, 12:09 PM
Sigh, my power gamer has persisted this spell...TT TT...three times ><;; i don't even want to talk about his charisma bonus. any ideas for ways around it '-'?

Any verbal components? Silence him and then Dispel Magic.

Or grapple him and then cast spells at him while he's hard-pressed to try and do anything about it.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-16, 12:12 PM
Don't let him powergame beyond a point you're comfortable with?

There's always repeated Dispel Magics, but that should only be used by knowledgeable opponents, otherwise it smacks of arbitrary DM nerfing. If you're not comfortable with persistent RDF then talk the player out of using it.

Vangor
2011-01-16, 12:15 PM

Level 4 Spell + 6 Persistent smacks of a few obvious powergaming builds. Feel free to hurl dispels at him.

Boci
2011-01-16, 12:17 PM

How is he persisting a spell 3 times? What metamagic reducers is he using? Those seem to be the problem here.

Ernir
2011-01-16, 12:17 PM
Unless he is getting those persists for free, that's a significant bunch of resources he has tied up to get those saving throws more beefy (unless you let him play an Incantatrix or something). That should matter.

Anyway, basic stuff you can do...
Hit him with physical damage. Ruin Delver's Fortune doesn't increase your AC or anything like it, and it doesn't sound like he has the temp HP version persisted. Of course, he may have other defenses up, but that's another issue. Targeted Dispel Magic. Use it. Or its cousins, like Slashing Dispel (PHB2) or Spell Theft (Complete Scoundrel). Spells that don't offer (significant) saving throws. Enervations, Metamagic'ed Orb (Complete Arcane, Spell Compendium) spells.
Feeling nasty? Reciprocal Gyre (Spell Compendium)! Disjunction!

averagejoe
2011-01-16, 01:30 PM
The Mod they Call Me: Thread necromancy.