PDA

View Full Version : Making a Wu Jen more spontaneous [3.5]

Bad Wolf
2015-04-26, 01:26 PM
I've started work on a Wu Jen. I like the flavour and the unique spells, which is why I'm picking it over Wizard. Problem is, I haven't played much of prepared casters before. I usually play with spontaneous casters. Are there any feats or tricks I can use to make it a bit more spontaneous?

Also using the feat Lost Tradition to switch it over to CHA-based, as Charisma is generally easier to pump up.

WhamBamSam
2015-04-26, 01:48 PM
Within RAW, there's not much that I know of. Wu Jen don't have access to things like Uncanny Forethought (unless you take a dip in Wizard). It doesn't really have that much splat support, apart from things that work specifically for prepared casters.

You could just ask your DM if you can play a Sorcerer using the Wu Jen spell list and class features (or a Wu Jen using the Sorcerer casting progression/mechanics, depending how you see it). It's a power nerf unless you have some specific combo in mind, and it doesn't sound like you do, so I doubt your DM will have a problem with it.

Seclora
2015-04-26, 01:54 PM
Uncanny Forethought out of Exemplars of Evil(p. 26) is an excellent start. And if you use the required Spell Mastery on your Spell Secret spells you get standard action metamagic spells spontaneously times per day equal to your Int. Bit of a bummer since you plan to cast off Cha, but them's the rules.

Right, Wizard 1 required for Spell Mastery. Not really sure why that is, but you could talk to your DM about ignoring that.

ShurikVch
2015-04-27, 08:30 AM
PrCs:
Mage of the Arcane Order - spellpool :smallwink:
Dweomerkeeper - Mantle of Spells
Hathran - Rashemi Spirit Magic/Universal Spirit Magic
Primal Scholar (Secrets of Xendrik) - Ancient secret (Mystery of magic)
Shadowcraft Mage - Shadow Illusion :smallcool:

Feats:
Alacritous Cogitation (Complete Mage) - recall one chaotic spell
Proteus (Exemplars of Evil) - illusion (glamer) spell

Note about the Uncanny Forethought: if DM is adamant about not allowing Spell Mastery to non-wizards, you may get this feat via combination of Incantatrix 1/Red Wizard 5 - a 5th level RW get a bonus feat, which may be Spell Mastery; bonus feats ignore prerequisites unless text says they aren't (in this particular case text doesn't say so)

(Un)Inspired
2015-04-27, 11:11 AM
Try to meet new people, maybe? I'd try to stop worrying about the future and live in the now. Drop everything and take a trip somewhere new. Adventuring is great for this sort of thing. Wu Hen have a lot of options so even if you completely uproot and start a new life you should still have plenty to fall back on.

Forrestfire
2015-04-27, 11:54 AM
Take the Elemental Adept feat from Complete Mage (lets you spontaneously cast a single elemental spell) and then take Versatile Spellcaster. The PHB says that for a wizard, their spells known is their entire spellbook. Presumably this could apple to Wu Jens as well.

Now you've got spontaneous casting from your book as long as you burn lower-level slots for it.

Bad Wolf
2015-04-27, 02:25 PM
Take the Elemental Adept feat from Complete Mage (lets you spontaneously cast a single elemental spell) and then take Versatile Spellcaster. The PHB says that for a wizard, their spells known is their entire spellbook. Presumably this could apple to Wu Jens as well.

Now you've got spontaneous casting from your book as long as you burn lower-level slots for it.

Maybe because its twelve on a Monday, but I have no idea what that does. Isn't Elemental Adept for only one spell?

WhamBamSam
2015-04-27, 03:10 PM
Maybe because its twelve on a Monday, but I have no idea what that does. Isn't Elemental Adept for only one spell?The idea is that Elemental Adept would let you meet the "ability to spontaneously cast spells" prerequisite on Versatile Spellcaster, which you could then use to spontaneously cast any spell in your spellbook by trading out two spell slots from the level below.

Bad Wolf
2015-04-27, 04:10 PM
The idea is that Elemental Adept would let you meet the "ability to spontaneously cast spells" prerequisite on Versatile Spellcaster, which you could then use to spontaneously cast any spell in your spellbook by trading out two spell slots from the level below.

Ah, okay. Two questions if anyone is okay with answering them, because it might be a bit small for another thread.

1) What element should pick for elemental mastery?

2) Is Elemental Savant a good Prc for Wu Jens?