PDA

View Full Version : World Help The Four Moons of Tyr: What is on these worlds?

Tzi
2015-04-26, 07:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/RU1k8EY.jpg

The Crunch
Firearms and Body Armour (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?411878-The-Four-Moons-of-Tyr-What-is-on-these-worlds&p=19200314&viewfull=1#post19200314) - Classes - Backgrounds

The Races
Table of Nations
Line of Eldar: Elves (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?411878-The-Four-Moons-of-Tyr-What-is-on-these-worlds&p=19193842&viewfull=1#post19193842), Gnomes, Halflings
Line of Fyren: Humans (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?411878-The-Four-Moons-of-Tyr-What-is-on-these-worlds&p=19200847&viewfull=1#post19200847), Dwarves
Line of Goblin: Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Ogres
Line of Drakos: Dragonborn

The Worlds
Rhya - Almyra - Astyra (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?411878-The-Four-Moons-of-Tyr-What-is-on-these-worlds&p=19267417#post19267417) - Tynerak (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?411878-The-Four-Moons-of-Tyr-What-is-on-these-worlds&p=19207944&viewfull=1#post19207944)

So thanks to the advice of the World Building talk thread and the general zeal I've had for this idea, I'm looking for a bit of assistance and brainstorming for ideas about a world building concept for a campaign setting.

In General this is a Sci-Fantasy type setting. The idea being there are 4 roughly Earth/Venus sized worlds that orbit a gas giant that orbits a star in the habitable zone. These worlds are populated by different "racial branches" you could say of Humanoids with a few core Houses that tend to numerically dominate an individual world. While the lore names for things are not fleshed out, we general have the four core houses as follows:

House Human: Consists of Core Humans, Half-Giants, sometimes Half Elves, Dwarves and Perhaps Tiefling/Assimar depending on whom you ask.
House Elf/Eldar: Gnomes, Halfling, High Elves, Wild Elves, Drow. Pointy eared magic fun time
House Goblinoid: Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins, ect
House Dragonoid: Dragonborn, Lizardfolk? Dragons in general

The First three share a common ancestor theoretically with Giants whom are plausibly in either of the first three. The fourth is a relative anomaly.

In general I'm looking to create four roughly distinct worlds. Not exactly Mono-climates but ideally maybe One is more arid than the other, another is more tropical.

Astyra: I've decided is Cradle to the Eldar, a more tropical and much more oceanic world.
Name Pending: A drier, more arid Mars like world possibly the original cradle of the Goblinoids. Many Drow/Dark Elves and some humans ruling over vast stretches of it.
Name-Pending: Human Cradle world.
Possibly even the Dragonoid Cradle world, also name pending.

So, world names follow a convention of needing "Tyr" somewhere in the name for in game lore reasons, relating to old Elvish naming conventions.

The worlds are off and on linked by portals.

So, Ideas? Things you might think are interesting for this world(s)? Concepts? Tribes, Nations, Kingdoms, Empires?

VoxRationis
2015-04-26, 07:51 PM
As far as "on" goes for portals:
If air can pass through portals, and there are atmospheric differences between the two ends of the portals, expect weather fronts to form near the portals—potentially large storms, if the portal is stably open for long enough.

Tzi
2015-04-26, 07:58 PM
As far as "on" goes for portals:
If air can pass through portals, and there are atmospheric differences between the two ends of the portals, expect weather fronts to form near the portals—potentially large storms, if the portal is stably open for long enough.

The current concept of the portals is that for the most part their usability comes and goes in waves and fluctuates with as of yet ill understood forces in the flows and tendrils of arcane magic that make up the cosmos.

Basically imagine the 40K web way but with rolling blackouts that can last years, decades, even centuries. In the lore I have now, one such period of isolation last 116 years, long enough for an Elven ruled hegemony that reigned loosely over the four worlds to collapse.

A Human originating Empire I've dubbed the Hyporians actually had one of the most epic in scope and more entrenched multi-world Empire with effective rule over all four worlds using fixed and constantly active portal links but after 250 continuous years they cataclysmic level failed due to a yet unexplained magical backlash that destroyed their capital and any city near the portals. During that period it is said the climates of the 4 worlds began the change due to just such weather patterns.

Today no permanent Links exist and the old Elven used ones are more akin to the Eldar Web way. It is also plausible to travel via rockets though nobody has tried. Also some Wizards have allegedly themselves found ways to jump from world to world but its rare enough to count those stories on one hand.

Tzi
2015-04-26, 08:07 PM
Also to give a feel for concept....

My struggle with world building is often that I like to many different things so I'm thinking four vaguely semi-connected worlds gives me the ability to have a single setting have say...

http://i.imgur.com/pW0KcjS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0fLU4q0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/d8Fdoed.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mXIqRgO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fVin8P1.png
http://i.imgur.com/rvW82ru.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FeteJ3w.jpg

All of the above and more theoretically in one self contained and "logical" setting.

VoxRationis
2015-04-26, 09:18 PM
Do the portals stay in the same place, relative to the moons' surfaces? Or do they disappear and then show up again in a completely different location?

Because the former would mean that long-thinking rulers would build fortifications around known portal sites even when they're inactive, producing prison-like forts where all the crenellations face inward, while the latter would imply highly unstable but equally lucrative trade routes, favoring at least a few tent cities and nomadic traders.

Also, what kind of "magic" are we going to be looking at here? You said you wanted "Sci-Fantasy." Does that mean we've got ourselves an energy field generated by all living things? Do we have a implausible but otherwise scientific-sounding "key mechanic" like in Mass Effect? You clearly are familiar with Warhammer—are you making your magic inherently dangerous and evilly tainted as well? Or is the "magic" going to be high fantasy-themed but carry implications that it's instead technological and merely well-disguised, a la Thor (the movies, not the comics)?

Tzi
2015-04-26, 11:05 PM
Do the portals stay in the same place, relative to the moons' surfaces? Or do they disappear and then show up again in a completely different location?

Because the former would mean that long-thinking rulers would build fortifications around known portal sites even when they're inactive, producing prison-like forts where all the crenellations face inward, while the latter would imply highly unstable but equally lucrative trade routes, favoring at least a few tent cities and nomadic traders.

Also, what kind of "magic" are we going to be looking at here? You said you wanted "Sci-Fantasy." Does that mean we've got ourselves an energy field generated by all living things? Do we have a implausible but otherwise scientific-sounding "key mechanic" like in Mass Effect? You clearly are familiar with Warhammer—are you making your magic inherently dangerous and evilly tainted as well? Or is the "magic" going to be high fantasy-themed but carry implications that it's instead technological and merely well-disguised, a la Thor (the movies, not the comics)?

For the portals I am unsure, part of me wants to think they are "catchable," so like devices or spellcasters during a time of activity can perhaps create spell affect and perhaps capture a a point or open one. I imagine it as one of the most complex Arcano-Cosmic calculations games ever undertook and when people know a portal might be ready they work on creating a "net," to catch one.

As for the type of magic, I think I'm going to run partially with Warhammer 40K but without the grim dark aspect. Cosmologically the Universe is basically divided between the Material and the Immaterial segments. Sometimes called the Cosmic Order and Cosmic Chaos which blend and interweave into one another. Magic is somewhat drawn from psychically reactive people working in conjunction with components and ingredients that can be triggered to have effects ORRRRR simply carry extra magical charges like crystals. In game terms this is basically a 5e rules based game.

Gritmonger
2015-04-26, 11:22 PM
So they sound like wormholes - semi-stable channels that run from point to point - rather than Stargates - very stable channels that run from a point to another point.

To that end, you might have folks who are sensitive to the currents and patterns and try and make a living as Augers for such things, while others specialize in actually capturing one end. It means the other end might be unanchored - or that both ends 'freeze' when one end is anchored. Currents and patterns might also lead to things that "sail" these currents. Not rockets per-say, more like solar sails, but with currents of magic. A "long" way of trading.

I keep thinking of the folks who used to go around as rain-makers. Promising a city prosperity if they were paid well enough, and trying to 'draw' a portal to the city.

Tzi
2015-04-26, 11:36 PM
So they sound like wormholes - semi-stable channels that run from point to point - rather than Stargates - very stable channels that run from a point to another point.

To that end, you might have folks who are sensitive to the currents and patterns and try and make a living as Augers for such things, while others specialize in actually capturing one end. It means the other end might be unanchored - or that both ends 'freeze' when one end is anchored. Currents and patterns might also lead to things that "sail" these currents. Not rockets per-say, more like solar sails, but with currents of magic. A "long" way of trading.

I keep thinking of the folks who used to go around as rain-makers. Promising a city prosperity if they were paid well enough, and trying to 'draw' a portal to the city.

Ohhh Arcane magic sail craft sounds amazing actually. I'm considering the idea that two individuals on each world can make a connection to send messages so that on some limited level the two can say communicate.

The other idea is say permanent anchors or at least they know they will appear roughly in the same place on the planet over and over.

In which case there probably would be whole classes of people whose job is to monitor and track such things on the chance of transit being possible. It might also be possible for a I guess a more "analog," version to go via say rockets and Magi-tech stellar craft.

Tzi
2015-04-27, 02:57 PM
So, Getting the ball rolling on physical planets/Moons.

http://i.imgur.com/dPGxwg3.jpg

Plausibly the inner most of the four moons of Tyr, name so far is Tynerak, or at least that is the Dominate Elvish language word.

Dominate Race(s):
Numerically: Goblinoids. This world is native home of this branch of "Table of Nations," by Elven chroniclers. Birthplace of the Orcs, Ogres, Hobgoblins, Goblins, and other related races.
Minority: Elves of the Dark Elf variety hold vast holdings and cities here. Of the Branch of Elves, called Drow, natives to this world are dubbed the Scath in their language. A large contingent of humans also hold a vast array of small fiefdoms on the planet. A substantial Dragon presences also looms over the world.

The world is 65-70% Landmass, though massive amounts of hydrology is located underground. It is a very rocky and much more arid world.

http://i.imgur.com/szweZVF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oaZCsAw.jpg

Think a highly volcanic and geologically active desert world with lots of geysers and a steamy oceans. Life here is a bit harsher and more extreme and countries tend to be oriented around city-states vying for the most geologically stable and hydrologically plentiful territories. In this sense the Dark Elves form the top of the geo-political food chain with a relatively solid hold on the majority of prime real-estate. Human and Goblinoid races being the majority numerically but lacking the sorcery or might to bring to bare against the Elven dominance. Dragonoid creatures can cling to life in the most inhospitable of climates thus nobody is vying for where they tend to live and are largely seen as a threat to all by all. It is also likely the Dragonborn as a race came from this world, but exactly when and how is a mystery.

So mainly fishing for ideas for lets say countries, Kingdoms, ect... or anything someone might this world

One Idea I have is that this could be a world with a real Underdark, vast networks of volcanic tubes and the fact that much of the water is underground could mean vast cave networks beneath the rocky desert. This sort of allows a much easier time creating the sort of Underdark dwelling Dark Elves/Drow types.

Current Happenings:
1) Drow nations are largely united and seeking global conquest. Their astralmancers divine that soon Cosmic channels will open and passage between worlds may soon become easier and stable for years at a time. They fear an enterprising Empire may already exist on the other worlds and wish to strengthen up this world for fear that out of portals could pour endless armies. They would prefer to be the ones SENDING armies of conquest. More over they wish to reconnect with their Kin on Astyra once more and more easily. Thus they have undergone rapid industrialization, militarization and the aggressive military campaigns to try and secure the whole planet under their central command.

Tzi
2015-04-28, 12:23 PM
Table of Nations
The Line of the Eldar

Background:
So a core thing in this setting is the idea that the races are interrelated and in fact share a common ancestor (For the most part). The phrase Table of Nations is a phrase pulled from the Old Testament, essentially describing the sons of Noah and allegedly the genealogy of the worlds peoples. In game terms it is a concept more rigidly adhered to or well understood by the Elves than any other race. They tend to define it by bloodlines more than languages, were as humans, to the extent they use it, tend to go by language classification then bloodline.

Lore for the Eldar Line:
The line/house with the most misleading title, the Eldar would be theoretically the oldest or most ancient line. However they are semi-widely known to be the youngest, with Elves actually being fairly new. This line allegedly begins with the Gnomish kind emerging on Astyra eons ago. Small, frail, but magically capable, this early proto-elf people were late to emerge compared to Humans or Orcs. But were the earliest to develop writing and a systematized understanding of sorcery which writing allowed for. The Gnomes could read and write while the other taller races were still dealing extremely primitive languages. Over time Gnomes grew taller, though on Astyra a small number of original Gnomes or Pygmy Elves remain in special preserves their taller descendants reserve for them. With the emergence of Elves, the Eldar line had incredible advantages. For one, they were the most magically astute branch, the most complex and the most civilized and relatively quickly so. While Humans and Orcs were still in primitive tribes and perhaps erecting the first of their crude cities, the Elves were binding books and figuring out portals and charting the skies.

This is why the Elves, early on, were able to spread to all four worlds and for a nearly thousand year reign control all four worlds. It is said at the height of this empire they wielded magic that could control the weather globally, and they could vastly extend their lives, living many centuries longer than at present they can live.

However the Elves never formed a true Empire, they more formed a complex de-centralized civilization that had difficulties with infighting and during long periods when portals would not work they often succumb to insurgencies on these separate worlds. Eventually Humans and Orcs caught up and were able to smash their dominance to various degrees, though to this day some Elven confederations are forces not to be trifled with.

Genealogy of Elves

Elves claim their legacy from the Gnomes, the distant shorter ancestor to the Elves. There is debate as the ancestor of the Gnomes, some crediting the Giant with being the closest race to the forerunners, OR if the Giants are a cousin to the ancestors of Humans, Orcs and Elves and their related kin.

From the Gnomes you get:

Primal Elf (Extinct)

Dark Elf
Wild Elf
High Elf
*Half-Elf
*Divine blooded (Fey'ri example)

Halfling
Deep Gnomes (Rare)

Dark Elves / Drow
Dark is a misnomer, some of them are significantly pale grey. Dark Elf is also a human invention due to the common nocturnalism of their kind. Drow is the more common pan-Elven name for this branch. Generally they come in a wide array of characteristics. Typically skin color ranges from either a pale almost gray, to a light or dark purple, sometimes almost onyx, many have an earthy dark brown ect. They have an overwhelming proportion of grey and white hair colors even at young ages. With various shades of red being the second most common as well as black and blue, and in some rare groups green and pink. They are found on all four moons, though actually Tynerak has the largest population of their kind, with Astyra and [Moon name not announced] having smaller. Their eyes are also almost universally red. Though Astyra has what is considered their "Spiritual Capital," and the home of "bhealach scath," in their language or the Culture of the Night Walkers. As that would suggest they are known for their more nocturnal habits.

Culturally they are an incredibly diverse group of people, Linguistically however to some degree any Drow language speaker has a reasonably good chance of understanding another ostensibly different language.

High Elves
Called High Elves primarily because in the days of the old Elven rulers, the later Human Empire would recall them as the High rulers living atop their spires. Today Elves define themselves as High because of their independence and high culture and via not being Drow. High Elves common in a wide array of appearances, from a pale pinkish color, light skin alabaster, to even copper and bronze tanned people. Hair color is much more varied than their Drow kin. Blonde, Red, Black, and Brown being very common hair colors. Eyes range from green, blue, gold, silver, purple (Rarely) ect. These Elves also tend to work in the day light and be more daylight focused culturally.

High Elves culturally have endured much but retain their distinct culture and high civilization of art and sophistication. Their many languages are less mutually understandable as the Drow languages are. High Elven languages are sometimes regarded as less complex but much more diverse than Drow languages. The High Elves build many wide arrays of cities and dwellings and are found on all four moons in very high proportion. Astyra is home to the majority of their population. Generally speaking these are the Elves, along with the Drow whom did not fall under Human occupation during the reign of the Hyporian Empire.

Wild Elves
The majority of Elves fall into this category. Also they are more common on all the worlds save for Astyra. These are the Elves whom Initially fell to the Hyporians and it is allegedly lost much of their high culture and independence. Often nomadic, or agrarian, these Elves form either tribes in the wilderness, wandering bands or settle in cities of other established countries. They share physical characteristics of both Drow and High Elves. Though it is a misnomer to say all "wild Elves," are conquered, many are independent but they tend to be not city dwelling or kingdom founding. Wild Elf is also a difficult to define thing. On Astyra it means any nomad, as it does on Tynerak. Elsewhere it generally means the conquered Elves or Elves under occupation.

Culturally they can be very distinct and often speak a language with a grammar that is distinctly High Elven, but often using many Drow words. Elsewhere they speak other non-Elven languages. Some Wild Elf groups have their own distinct languages that often fall into one of the two branches of Elven languages.

VoxRationis
2015-04-28, 12:36 PM
So why are they called "dark elves" if not for their skin? Is it to connote darkness of spirit? Darkness of intellectualism? Darkness of humor? Is it due to a "false friend" in etymology somewhere?

Tzi
2015-04-28, 12:42 PM
So why are they called "dark elves" if not for their skin? Is it to connote darkness of spirit? Darkness of intellectualism? Darkness of humor? Is it due to a "false friend" in etymology somewhere?

Nocturnalism... the near universalism of nocturnalism and the cultural obsession of their languages with darkness or night. Also it is a name created by Humans particularly because the vast majority of them are very dark skinned. The human label expanded though since Dark Elves have similar languages and some speakers are counter-intuitively very pale grey.

VoxRationis
2015-04-28, 01:10 PM
Why are they dark-skinned if they're nocturnal? They don't have to worry about the sunlight. Is it a relic of a diurnal time? Sexual selection? The founder effect?

Tzi
2015-04-28, 01:15 PM
Why are they dark-skinned if they're nocturnal? They don't have to worry about the sunlight. Is it a relic of a diurnal time? Sexual selection? The founder effect?

Plausibly the founder effect?

My rough explanation also is their ancestral population wielded a type of magic that left an imprint on their bloodline. Likewise it is sexual selection. Currently I've written that darkness often is synonymous with beauty in those cultures that speak Drow languages. More over it is widely accepted the distant ancestors of the Drow trafficked in branches of magic for incredibly long spans of time.

Similar to the blood spiking that happened to forgotten realms drow, but without the necessity of being evil.

Elves in general have a strange unnatural appearance partly as a result of their extensive ties to magical ability.

VoxRationis
2015-04-28, 04:59 PM
What kind of unnatural appearance? Because the elves I generally envision don't look especially unlike that which humans could have easily evolved to look like, in a different world, so I'm going to need clarification to be on the same page as you. Do your elves have improbably long WoW-like ears? Do they have glowing eyes? 3 incisors per quadrant instead of 2?

Tzi
2015-04-28, 05:51 PM
What kind of unnatural appearance? Because the elves I generally envision don't look especially unlike that which humans could have easily evolved to look like, in a different world, so I'm going to need clarification to be on the same page as you. Do your elves have improbably long WoW-like ears? Do they have glowing eyes? 3 incisors per quadrant instead of 2?

This may be challenging to explain? Hmmm For the Drow branch or Dark Elves I'm drawing from a lot of say stock inspiration. So generally they look fairly distinct. Admittedly this is a very BETA sort of setting, I have a lot lore but definitely need help fleshing it all out and making it logically consistent? If that makes sense.

http://i.imgur.com/paaphuP.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/B6ZFWcj.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/y7mLkYS.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/GqF6MgQ.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/pmV8333.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/vT4b99Y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ve0TGB2.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/uGZsWCr.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/fQK5wNl.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/xv24RjH.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/pIni5tp.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/wUdV30J.jpg

In general Elves form a continuum of variable appearances, often due to sexual selection and extent/type/and length of time of magic use. Ranging from human like in appearances to very VERY obviously different from Humans.

Perhaps it would be best to say Elves currently have a wide array of ethnic groups within themselves, but are generally divided into two Linguistic camps. Akin to the differences between Brythonic Celtic and say Giodolic Celtic languages? Does that help?

VoxRationis
2015-04-28, 06:39 PM
So not unnatural, just inhuman. Got it.
What biologically distinguishes the elves? Are they immortal (this will have an enormous impact on their psychology), long-lived, or just like humans? Do they have different dietary needs? Do they need to sleep?

Tzi
2015-04-28, 06:58 PM
So not unnatural, just inhuman. Got it.
What biologically distinguishes the elves? Are they immortal (this will have an enormous impact on their psychology), long-lived, or just like humans? Do they have different dietary needs? Do they need to sleep?

Biologically Elves are not immortal, however they are very accepting of alchemical treatments that extend their lives and health. Humans are actually the most sturdy, healthy and endurance capable race other than dragons.

Elves, with treatment and solid health make for a good strong 200ish years with some medical aid. The oldest and longest lived Elf is allegedly though 678 years but that was during the 1000 year reign of the Elven Kingdoms across the four worlds. They do in fact need to sleep as Half-Elves statistically do. Over all they are also predisposed towards intellect, charisma and wisdom.

Fertility is the Elven worlds greatest overall weakness, they have a slower fertility cycle than humans or orcs and thus take longer to develop children and childhood and adolescence is longer on the order of +20 decades to fully mature physically and mentally.

Dietary wise they are much as the other races, though curiously some populations have developed odd habits and needs. Some Drow populations are more predatory with some chronic Iron deficiencies.

VoxRationis
2015-04-28, 07:16 PM
Wait, "+20 decades?" That must be a typo.

Tzi
2015-04-28, 07:52 PM
Wait, "+20 decades?" That must be a typo.

typo.... yes, sorry on my phone.

2 decades to reach adolescents, roughly another 15 years to fully sexually mature. So a good 35 years is spent in childhood or adolescents.

Tzi
2015-04-28, 09:05 PM
Table of Nations
The Line of the Fyran

Lore for the Fyran Line:
Fyran, a world in incredibly Archaic Elvish for Human, they are actually the second oldest branch on the tree of Sapient life. Older than both Elves and Orcs, Humanity emerged long ago. Dwarves are the second kin to Humans but are in general regarded as on their "way out." Primal Man is unknown, as nobody has records, only fossils. Fyran languages are incredibly diverse compared to Elves with 90+ Individual languages for just Humans and Dwarves. Neanderthals and the Yeti race are the most rare and Humans have set aside portions of their cradle world, Almastyra, for the preservation of their kind.

Dwarves are also in a more precarious situation becoming more subterranean and cave dwelling, or on Tyrenak they are becoming underdark dwelling. Humanity is the second most populous of all sapient races. Humanity is often considered the parent race of various "half-races" that are somewhat common. Including Divine blooded (Tiefling/Assimar) half-Vampires and Half-Giants, Half-Elves, and Half-Orcs.

Genealogy of Fyran

From the The Giants you get:

Primal Man (Extinct)

Neanderthal
Yeti
Human

*Tiefling/Assimar
*Dhampir
*Half-Giant/Orc/Elf

Dwarf

Deep Dwarf
Hill Dwarf

Biology of Fyran

Generally Humans are sturdy, healthy and over all very fertile compared to elves. Humans are considered remarkable for their health and high tolerance for pain. Humans can live between 60-120 years depending on health, nutrition and genetics. Dwarves and Neaderthals have slightly lower fertility than Humans and are more meat dependent in diet and live ever so slightly shorter lives statistically, though Dwarves are more intelligent and more capable of speech. Yeti have only simply language, similar fertility and health as humans BUT are the shortest lived and the least intelligent statistically.

Tzi
2015-04-29, 02:52 PM
A possible rework of Elves might be in order.

I think the core difference among Elves is to some degree linguistic, not necessarily "racial," if that makes sense. While 5e stats can be continued to used and various core "tribes," and ethno-linguistic group will be largely defined by being primarily "Drow," or High Elf ect, I might seek to tweak that.

Also maybe a separate name for the three branches of Elves so that way they all have a unique name like "Drow." Like maybe for stats it would make more sense to Homebrew a little more variety than these three?

If so does anyone have any ideas or core suggestions?

VoxRationis
2015-04-30, 01:51 PM
The difficulty is that as it stands, the different subraces in play in 5e rules tend to have very noticeable differences in-universe, the sorts of differences that would naturally become the grounds of in-universe classification. While linguistic and cultural groups would be important, I find it difficult to believe that major biological differences would go unnoticed.

I suppose that the differences could come from differences in upbringing, emphasizing development of different attributes and skills... But that would imply a cross-cultural similarity in class structure.

Tzi
2015-04-30, 05:44 PM
The difficulty is that as it stands, the different subraces in play in 5e rules tend to have very noticeable differences in-universe, the sorts of differences that would naturally become the grounds of in-universe classification. While linguistic and cultural groups would be important, I find it difficult to believe that major biological differences would go unnoticed.

I suppose that the differences could come from differences in upbringing, emphasizing development of different attributes and skills... But that would imply a cross-cultural similarity in class structure.

Maybe than I should focus more on creating the various Elven "nationalities" or cultural groups and say that they are predominately of one type of the 3 core subgroups of Elves in the manual?

In that sense we get that "High Elves," overwhelming speak a specific set of languages from a specific language family, build cities and organized Kingdoms, ect. Wood/Wild Elves overwhelming are more rural and pastoral forming smaller communities and rarely building specifically large kingdoms, and then Dark/Drow Elves are similar to the High Elves but belong to a different linguistic tradition and are more nocturnal?

I guess I'm just having trouble defining them so strictly?

EDIT:

Maybe, Standard Elf stats can go for most any Elves and represent the most common base stats of elves. The three "sub-races," represent the diverging on certain worlds towards various different cultural and ever so slight genetic strands? So on Astyra most Elves started to become wood elves. On Tynerak Drowish or Dark Elves took over. Almystara more High Elf styles took over. Since then there have been mass migrations of populations and recolonizing ect?

Tzi
2015-05-01, 03:14 PM
Recoloring of Elves, Perhaps Elves should be removed from the High/Wood/Dark divisions and maybe create a sort of Almyrian, Astyrian, Tyneraki Elves instead. So like the three branches of Elves are divided instead based on their world in which they grew on? Or maybe find some way of separating out the traditional understanding of Elves. Mainly because I want them to have more ethnic/cultural divisions and uniqueness.

For example how Humans can have different countries and languages. It just becomes SLIGHTLY more challenging because Elves have sub-races and stat variations.

So in theory, Astyrian Elves would take Wood/Wild Elf stats and would have a a variable appearance from say MILDLY Drow and High Elf to various other types. Almyrian Elves would be distinct in being more High Elf in appearance with vary RARE common features of Drow, and Drow would be Tyneraki Elves whom distinctly look more like Drow and Dark Elves.

Because of world cross travel obviously members of all three exist on all the four moons. Astyra being their cradle world so perhaps during a long period of portal inactivity the ancestral Elves or Eladrin or whomever diverged into that direction?

Tzi
2015-05-01, 05:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gO5wFQ9.jpg

One of the many forests and bogs of Astyra

Table of Nations
The Line of the Eldar

Lore for the Eldar Line:
The line of the Eldar has produced the race the Elves, which is this branches most noticeable member. It's most primordial ancestor was likely a branch of Giant whose ancestors were the mysterious Fore-barer race to all the Lines. This unknown founder produced the Eladrin and the Gnome. Though the Eladrin went on to become the most successful and whose descendants would set foot on all four Moons of Tyr, the Gnomes are actually still physically in existence where as the Eladrin were already transitioning into modern Elves when they set upon the other moons. The Gnomes would themselves schism into a type called Halfling, but in general the Gnomish branch never left Astyra.

The Elves are actually the youngest of the three dominate sapient races of the Four Moons. Humans and Orc's both already existed by the time they emerged. However they and their Eladrin ancestors were the first to fully comprehend the nature of magic and sorcery and the first to develop writing. Thus they were the first to rapidly create what could be called "Civilization." Elves however were not that responsive or understanding of the denizens of the worlds they colonized. Often not fully appreciating their status as beings. Goblinoids such as Orcs were often enslaved and selectively bred which created the Hobgoblins and Ogres of today. Elves also were not too considerate or understanding of the ecologies of the worlds they came to settle upon. Contaminating all the worlds with life from their native Astyra.

However those Proto-Elven Eladrin whom set off to these worlds began the process that would transform their race and languages into the distinct peoples of today. Over time these settlers and colonists grew ever more distinct. With limited and flickering opportunities for travel, communities formed in relative isolation and themselves schism and formed nations and kingdoms. Groups fought, traveled to different worlds, some even set colonists back to Astyra and later waves of Elves from Astyra would set out to make their fortunes on the three other moons. In their languages they named the four moons and named their communities upon them, Asan-Tyr(Astyra), Scath-Tyr(Tynerak), Calen-Tyr(Almyra), and Moth-Tyr(Rhya). Each branch grew distinct, though today only the Asan, Scath, and Calen survive. With grave tragedy for Elven kind, their Moth brothers and sisters on Rhya were not to endure with the rise of Humanity as Rhya is their cradle, the the Hyperians during the "New Kingdom," era drove them out or annihilated them. The refugees from that event did give ample warning to their brethren to prepare for the Human's and their vastly growing Empire that would come to swallow the Four Moons. With the demise of Hyperians, the Elves once again have a degree of supremacy in magic, though their numbers are much lower and their technical supremacy is gone.

Elven Stats

Elves live overall relatively longer lives than most other sentient species. Often living well till about 250ish years naturally before any real aging begins to set in. Elves do not suffer from debilitation or senility in old age. Elves with solid medicine and alchemy or the right sorcery can extend that life till about 400. The longest recorded Elf lifespan is allegedly 600 years, though Bronwyn of Caer Cari is said to have lived to the age of 1000. But this is likely a legendary folktale.

Elves take longer to mature physically and mentally. Elves typically don't enter adolescence until the age of 20 and do not become full grown adults until 40-50.

Elves have the slowest fertility cycle other than dragonoids, specifically Dragonborn. Typically Elven woman without magical interventions or alchemy can only become pregnant easily four times out of the year.

Elves speak, read and write in very distinctive languages. Being the first race to develop complex language, writing, ect theirs is the oldest Elven languages are regarded as very difficult to speak. Many Elves on top of their native languages speak an Informal Pidgin/Creole called Sylvanim that acts as an auxilliary language among themselves, though even this is complex for non-Elves. But it is considered easier to learn than many Elven languages.

Elven peoples are the third most populous race. Beaten out by Humans, and Orcs.

As an elf, you have all the following racial traits.
Stats: Increase ones Dexterity score by +2
Size: Medium.
Low-Light Vision: If there is no light within 30 feet of you, you treat shadows in that radius as normal light, and you treat darkness in that radius as shadows.
Eladrin Grace: Elves innately add their proficiency bonus to Acrobatics and Athletics checks to climb trees, move through forests and swim. Elves also have advantages om saves to resist drowning.
Keen Senses: You have advantage on checks made to listen to, search for, or notice something.
Free Spirit: You are immune to the charmed condition and to any effect that would put you to sleep.
Trance: Elves in this setting sleep as humans do, but only for 4 hours to get the same level of rest as a human.
Languages: Elves speak a variety of languages within the Elven branch. Due to Elven longevity, Elves tend to be able to speak 6 languages within the Elven Linguistic Branch.
Subrace: Choose a subrace.

Calen-Tyr/Almyri Elves

http://i.imgur.com/uGZsWCr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uskeRvS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JzJZqeY.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PaPUfjh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Ve0TGB2.jpg

Of the Elves, the Almyri peoples form a diverse array of folks, whom also absorbed much of the Rhya kinfolk when they fled. Their culture and language is very artistic and their cities and culture is intricate and sophisticated. More over they have the strongest traditions of Wizardry and have produced some of the greatest scholars of the Arcane in the Elven world. Their cities, their Kingdoms are ones of impressive and elegant architecture. Often surrounded by carefully curated and enchanted forests and greenery. Their cities appear almost as organic as they are enchantingly inorganic. Glittering spires, and impressive feats of magic and magi-tech define these people.

Note: When picking names, I tend to use Welsh and Breton language names for these Elves.

Ability Score Adjustment: Your starting Intelligence score increases by 1.
Speed: 30 feet.
Cantrip: Choose one minor spell from the wizard's spell list. You know and can cast this spell.
Intelligence is your magic ability for it.

Asan-Tyr/Astyrian Elves

http://i.imgur.com/ENFsyqh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PyKIgvp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bnxHwmO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kdxzOa6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wUdV30J.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cEBqWNG.jpg

Of the Elves, the Astyri or Asan peoples are the the descendants of the Eladrin whom staid firmly on the world of their birth. They have formed a diverse and bright culture, and are the most distinctive and diverse group of Elves having the closest connection with the largest and most diverse founder population, likewise they have readily been absorbing Elves from other Moons whom flee to the world that cradled their kind. Elves of this distinct branch tend to be faster and more adapted to their environment than their kin. On Astyra, in its endless forests, tropical jungles, and shallow seas, coral reefs and mangrove like forests that extend for hundreds of miles, the Astyri live not that different than the primordial Eladrin. Often in tree homes, or in more rural and rustic settings. As Astyra is 80% Ocean, boats, fishing and floating cities are not uncommon.

Note: When picking names, I tend to use any of the living or extinct Celtic Languages.

Ability Score Adjustment: Your starting Wisdom score increases by 1.
Speed: 35 feet.
Mask of the Wild: You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena.

Scath-Tyr/Tynerak Elves

http://i.imgur.com/kXfESQW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8DxvQ0Y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/paaphuP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/w02RpoH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/khkSBYh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GqF6MgQ.jpg

Of the Elves, the Scath, Tynerak or Drow, are the the citizens of a vibrant industrious culture all their own. Descended of those whom migrated to Tynerak, they since settled within the densely planted woodlands within craters and set up their homes often in the networks of caves and caverns beneath the baking sun and heat of Tynerak. Often relishing in the primal and raw magic of the land they are often acutely capable of wielding such sorcerers powers. They are more nocturnal than their kin, partly due to a dislike of the day and the heat across Tyneraks more arid, rocky, volcanic and sun baked surface. Among the Scath you will find their fairly iconic and exotic looks, commonly white hair, red eyes and very dark skin, as well their cities and nations which blend heavily into the earth and stone of their homes. The Scath reside in extinct volcanic tunnels and in carved out caverns and homes in the cliff-sides around vast impact and dead volcanic craters were water gathers creating basin biomes full of lush greener that creates thick canopies and is often growing plants descended of the trees their ancestors brought with them. Underground they have carved a vast array of cities and residences in what is called "The Underdark."

Note: When picking names, I tend to use Irish language or more Goidolic branch names.

Ability Score Adjustment: Your starting Charisma score increases by 1.
Speed: 30 feet.
Superior Darkvision: Your Darkvision has a radius of 120 feet
Sunlight Sensitivity: You have disadvantages on attack rolls and Wisdom (perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive are in direct sunlight.
Sorcery of the Scath: You know Dancing Lights cantrip, ... same as Drow Magic
Nightstalker: You gain advantage when you are attempting to move and not be observed when in dim light or in darkness.

Common Elven Architecture

http://i.imgur.com/T6Bypof.png
City of Loch-Airgid, on Astyra. Perched in a protected valley it is sometimes called "Twilight City" by visitors for its vibrant bio-luminescent plants.

http://i.imgur.com/l9QWJ4k.jpg
Haul yn dda at night. A capital of Almyri culture and society. Considered one of their greatest cities.

http://i.imgur.com/awA8sXg.jpg
Village in the Adhmad-Domhain on Astyra. Typical of the vast wooded thicket on the Southern Hemisphere.

http://i.imgur.com/BG3abNf.jpg
Iarandorcha, A vast subterranean city on Tynerak. One of the eight jewels of the Scath Elves.

http://i.imgur.com/AGjGRgF.jpg
Viocane, though smaller than most, it is considered the city of temples on Tynerak.

Tzi
2015-05-02, 09:12 PM
So any advice from the world building community as to Gods? I am considering the very important question of what is a God, what is religion? ect.

I.E. How should the peoples of these four moons interpret their world?

One idea is a common archaic pantheon of say titans whom are allegedly the planets and bodies in heaven. ect then more local Gods and Goddesses and religions?

Tzi
2015-05-03, 01:56 PM
So a more Sci-Fantasy setting IMHO requires modern-ish weapons and armor. In a basic sense I like the simplicity of this sort of system since people can focus less on types of armor and more on their character. So essentially there are three standard varieties of armor that maybe can be enchanted or expanded but otherwise, blam there it is.

Also obviously firearms are a huge deal for this sort of setting.

Equipment: Modern Body Armor

Partial Body Armor (30% coverage, can be worn beneath clothes)
AC 13 + Dex modifier

Moderate Body Armor (40-60% coverage, meant to protect against military grade threats)
AC 15 + Dex modifier (Max 2)

Full Body Armor (90-100% coverage, meant for specific high-danger situations)
AC 18, STR 15, Stealth Disadvantage

WEAPONS

SMALL ARMS
Handguns (Light, one-handed)
Holdout Pistol 1d6 Piercing, Single-Shot, 15/75 ft
Service Pistol 1d10 Piercing, Single-Shot, 25/250 ft
Service Revolver 1d6+1 Piercing, Single-Shot, 25/250 ft

SMGs (One-handed)
Light SMG 1d6 Piercing, Imprecise, Single-Shot, Burst, Full-Auto, Light, 20/200 ft
Heavy SMG 1d10 Piercing, Single-Shot, Burst, Full-Auto, 30/300 ft

Rifles (Heavy, two-handed)
Bolt-Action Rifle 3d6 Piercing, Single-Shot, Accurate, 200/2000 ft
Semi-Automatic Rifle 3d6 Piercing, Single-Shot, 150/1500 ft
Assault Rifle 3d6 Piercing, Single-Shot, Burst, Full-Auto, 100/1000 ft

Shotguns (Heavy, two-handed)
12 Gauge Shotgun (slug) 2d12 Piercing, Imprecise, Single-Shot, 30/150 ft
12 Gauge Shotgun (shot) 4d6 Piercing, Imprecise, Single-Shot, 30/150 ft

HEAVY WEAPONS
Machine Guns (Heavy, two-handed)
Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW, infantry use) 3d6 Piercing, Burst, Full-Auto, 200/2000 ft
General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG, fixed/braced) 2d10 Piercing, Burst, Full-Auto, 200/2000 ft
Heavy Machine Gun (HMG, vehicle use) 3d10 Piercing, Burst, Full-Auto, 300/3000 ft

Special Weapons (Heavy, two-handed)
Flamethrower 2d6 Fire, 15/75 ft
Grenade Launcher 4d8 Explosive, Armor Piercing, 40/400 ft (On a miss, the grenade lands in one of 8 directions, 5-20' away if fired at short range or 5-30' away if fired from greater than short range)
Rocket Launcher 4d12 Explosive, Armor Piercing, 50/500 ft (On a miss, the grenade lands in one of 8 directions, 5-20' away if fired at short range or 5-30' away if fired from greater than short range)

GRENADES
Grenades, Thrown (On a miss, a grenade lands in one of the 8 adjacent directions, 5-10' away)
Concussive Grenade 8d4 Explosive 15/60 ft
Flash & Bang Grenade Roll 4d8 tp determine save DC for Flash & Bang 15/60 ft
Fragmentation Grenade 4d10 Explosive 15/60 ft
Tear Gas Grenade Con Save (DC ) or be blind and choking for 1d6 minutes, 1d4 rounds onset time. When blinded and choking, character takes disadvantage on all actions and must make a Con save each round he wants to take any action other than cough, retch, choke, and try to mitigate the effects of the tear gas. 15/60 ft

EXPLOSIVES
Charge, Breaching 2d6 Explosive, Armor Piercing
Charge, Satchel 5d10 Explosive
Mine, Anti-Personnel 3d8 Explosive
Mine, Anti-Tank 3d10 Explosive
Plastic Explosive, 1/4 lb 6d6 Explosive

Weapon Qualities

Accurate: If a round is spent aiming, attacks with this weapon may be made with advantage even if the shot is taken at a distance beyond the short range value.

Armor Piercing: These weapons ignore non-magical damage reduction.

Burst: This weapon may be fired in burst mode.
-Explosive: Dex save for 1/2 damage and to move out of the center of the blast. Con save or be stunned for 1d6 rounds.
-Flash & Bang: Dex save for 1/2 damage and to move out of the center of the blast. Fort save or be blinded for 1d6 rounds and stunned for 1d6 rounds. All damage is temporary and is recovered with a short rest.
Full-Auto: This weapon may be fired in full-auto mode.
Imprecise: Grants Disadvantage to any attacks made on targets within 5 ft. of allied characters or creatures".
Single Shot: This weapon may be fired in single-shot mode.

Burst Fire: Use three shots of ammo if your gun has a burst fire setting and five rounds if it simply has full-auto. Gain advantage on your attack roll. Advantage from burst fire alone does not license a Rogue's "Sneak Attack."
Cover Fire: Name the character you are covering and identify your field of fire. Enemies in your field of fire take disadvantage to attack that character.
Suppression Fire: Name a square / space / location you are riddling with suppressive fire. Any enemies who pass through that space take disadvantage that turn & you get an attack roll against them when they enter the space.

- Source (http://superheronecromancer.blogspot.jp/2014/07/into-breach-with-basic-d-5e.html)

Tzi
2015-05-03, 04:16 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CDeZ9S6.png

"The round ears, so new and so great, their empires are as monumental as their art and buildings."

Humanity

Lore: Humanities exact origins lay upon the outer most moon of Rhya. The cradle world of their kind. Arguably the oldest sentient race or branch of races, but also the one whose civilization was the latest to develop. Humans were like Orcs, spread across the four moons by Elven intervention. But on some level humans spent some time copying Elves were as the Orcs did not. The course of Human civilization is roughly four thousand years old, taking off during the Late or Twilight period of Elven Hegemony across the four worlds. Humanity has the most diverse linguistics, with many more branches than the elves and many more writing systems.

Physiology: Humans are shorter than Elves, and over all shorter lived. But over all are healthier, sturdier and more resistant to disease and enjoy a much quicker fertility rate and mature much faster.

Tzi
2015-05-03, 06:06 PM
On another note I might start developing a specific moon, each one at a time. I will likely start with Tynerak and Astyra first as I have the most thought for both of them.

Tynerak being more arid and rocky, and also more volcanic, it is easily host to some of my favorite snippets from past settings.

A core idea is that the world is somewhat balkenized with roughly a few emerging geo-political powers. Mainly a Confederation of Scath Elves attempting to both unify AND some plot the conquest of the whole moon. Humans whom have settled for generations upon generations have settled in around a few river valley's and islands creating a mixture of Egyptians, Minoan, Arabic sort of nations and tribes scattered about the planet. Including many tiefling spawned people.

Also in a shallow sea exists a hybridized vast expanse of mangrove like trees brought by the ancient elves and populated by a smattering of all three kinds of elves, obviously the Scath being the oldest generation with Astyri and Almyri elves being new comers. A few nations of Humans also ply their powers here but to some extent the elves are unifying to repulse this invasion.

ORCS are big mystery question. It is their homeworld but its been thoroughly conquered and occupied.

Tzi
2015-05-05, 12:36 AM
http://i.imgur.com/7siYz8B.jpg

Tynerak
The Inner most moon, the Fiery One.

General Info: Geologically Tynerak is more intense than the other moons, the exact reason is unclear but it has produced a peculiar landscape of intense volcanoes, twisting tectonic plates and roiling oceans. With only about 60% ocean water coverage it is drier than any of the other moons. Also most of the oceans are a bit shallow, with vast amounts of the moons water locked up below the surface fueling geysers which erupt in vast fields across the geological hot zones of the planet. The world is in average hotter by a few degrees, and is the only one to feature such massive tubes and caves carved out by volcanism and geological forces that whole nations can exist largely underground. At times it is even safer there as earthquakes can be less dangerous below the ground. On its surface it is a planet of impressive mountain ranges, chains of volcanoes, geyser fields that run for miles. Vast salt flats and deserts, rocky craigs ect. But also of shallow seas, warm sea water, and life near the oceans is consider vary idyllic if a tad warm. Nights can become very cold in some areas inland.

Lore: Tynerak is the current common name for the world, or some variation of it in Human languages. Though its derived from some older Elven names. Originally the world was called Scath-Tyr by the Eldar after the primeval Titan Scath. Other names were Corga, Cyrga, and then Rei, Ryi, Rwu, Reath, Rath. In the various Elven languages the are native and very old to Tynerak. The Human of the Hyporian variety rendered the name as Tyner or Tynerak in the Hyporian Low speak. Scath also became associated with the mythological ancestors of the Elves. They calling themselves roughly the "Children of Scath," who is said to be the daughter of Rei the Primordial Goddess of Fire, Stone and Prophecy. Said to be the Spiritual adviser to the Gods. Humans associate Tyner, whom is a God in the Hyporian pantheon, mostly with War. This association is fitting as the rough and tumble world has become a very rough place to live in its recent history.

Life on Tynerak

http://i.imgur.com/j7oWZ13.jpg

Crystal spikes of the Charek, ridge and the Icarus Plateau.

Life on Tynerak varies from place to place. It's geography is wild, crazy and intense. Sometimes called a world of extremes and harshness, it definitely can live up to its reputation. With vast continental deserts that becoming scorchingly hot, then bone shattering cold life on this hostile world can be a challenge. A world of vast sand dunes, but than a basin opens up and you find a wet verdant jungle within. Vast fields of geysers litter areas with multicolored pillars and lakes of green algea abound. The seas meet sand dunes and Islands are rich and green or black with volcanic ash. Earthquakes abound and the whole world is rough and rugged at times, but hosts sophistication and beauty as much as it hosts savagery and barbarism.

http://i.imgur.com/wsVmqXi.jpg
A Sabylian settlement, one of many making up the small kingdoms of the Inner Sabylian Desert.

http://i.imgur.com/kaUMWlh.jpg

A derelict Elven settlement, often the target of Bedouins and nomads.

Within the Deserts life is fairly brutish, unless near a plentiful river valley. Life clusters around were water can be found. Cities are small, if they exist at all and populations remain low and thin. People cluster into tribes more often than not and it is out here the Orcs, Goblins and Hobgoblins often have more clout. Though Ogres congregate in the Mountains were Elves have not driven them out.

The Elves have eched out a remarkable living via tunneling. The Scath, whom have lived on Tynerak for nearly 10,000 years have in that time carved a whole new civilization under the dirt and stone itself. Most Scath Elves occupy cave cities, or carve their cities in cliff faces overlooking verdant green basins and crags. Though many were lost to Human incursion and conquest, the Scath Elves are resurggent and their remarkable unity in times of distress has led them to carve their cities beneath the other races feat. In their vast realm of the "Underdark," within dead volcanic tubes, ancient caves and dug out tunnels that took many millennium to create, the Scath Elves have the most well done and intricate infrastructure of any race. The current Elven heartland is within the ancient Icarus Plataea whose crags often house rich ecology, and whose caves house the Drow themselves.

http://i.imgur.com/egINyR4.jpg

Uamhach, a fairly prosperous stronghold. A hub of art and culture for Scath society, it is one of the stronger City-States culturally.

http://i.imgur.com/FXQX7EM.jpg
A "Creagadan," as its called in the Scath languages. Or Crag or Canyon Jungle. Rich ecologically and often havens for Elves.

Out at sea however life is more abundant and often very dominated by holdover cultures of humans that predate even the Hyporian conquests and the Wars of Dominion between the Scath City-States and the Hyporians. Here you encounter humans living in vary artistic, cultured and ancient cultures that dwell upon the rich islands harvesting olive oil, and practicing very rich and diverse cultures. Though the humans of the Southern Seas and its many islands have often quarreled with Elves, both native Scath and other populations whom have come more recently.

http://i.imgur.com/j4b0pRs.jpg

Small villa on the Sabylian coastline, unfortunately suffering earthquake and war damage.

http://i.imgur.com/EUE3TFZ.jpg
Airships docking at a interior outpost.

Life can be diverse, difficult, and intense. Across Tynerak its a struggle, but in spite of its hostilities, it is a moon with rich and sophisticated societies, complex languages and art as beautiful as the worlds rugged landscape.

http://i.imgur.com/szweZVF.jpg
Tyneraks volcanic landscape makes for one intense living in some areas, but it can spawn new life and create interesting ecologies.

http://i.imgur.com/nHLXjtZ.jpg
Scarred landscape, the remains of the Dominion Wars between the Hyporian Imperial See and the Drow Confederation. Some areas are rendered desolate from the use of forerunner technology by the Elven Drow Confederation against human population centers. The dread Balefire mechanism was more powerful and devastating than the Drow Confederation leaders anticipated.

http://i.imgur.com/wMNk0Nu.jpg
Across the rocky dusty wastes, vast intense sandstorms kick up.

Tzi
2015-05-06, 07:19 PM
Debating throwing in music and more sub-posts that describe individual moons? MAYBE!?

Or give each moon its own thread?

VoxRationis
2015-05-06, 11:43 PM
You know, looking at the images you've chosen to represent your setting, plus the way you describe its inhabitants and history, makes the guns and whatnot seem kind of out-of-place. Sociologically, there's a definite "ancient world" vibe to it—lots of empires or hegemonic empires, settlement patterns heavily defined by the limitations of the native terrain, a woman standing on steps right out of Knossos—and none of that screams "these cultures can make firearms in any reasonable number."

Tzi
2015-05-07, 12:50 AM
You know, looking at the images you've chosen to represent your setting, plus the way you describe its inhabitants and history, makes the guns and whatnot seem kind of out-of-place. Sociologically, there's a definite "ancient world" vibe to it—lots of empires or hegemonic empires, settlement patterns heavily defined by the limitations of the native terrain, a woman standing on steps right out of Knossos—and none of that screams "these cultures can make firearms in any reasonable number."

Well partly I am limited since I can produce original images. Alas not as much artistic talent.

I am considering having Tynerak as one of the more technologically primitive worlds. However I was still thinking of having firearms and some trappings of modernity. Sort of the dualism of having say Minoans but with winchester rifle's. I think the main reason she doesn't scream "Can make a firearm" is precisely because in a sense the Minoans remain locked in time conceptually. I'm imagining that they are ancient but their culture endured and they now have such weapons.

Maybe? If I could find more diverse art it would definitely help. XD

Tzi
2015-05-07, 10:09 PM
So for Tynerak I'm thinking of a few distinct "cultural zones."

For the mostly Human dominated areas a mix of Greeco-Minoan Islanders, Egypt, Morocco, Berber Inland Empires, And in the far north a sort of Chinese inspired territory in the grassy greener north near the north pole.

Orcish areas I've got a heavy Andean/Inca/Navajo feel? Maybe?

The Elves are split. Scath Elves are in my notes Ireland meets Imperial Japan. More recent migratory patterns are settled among the Egypt like Humans. With a few other Elven city states looking to the Drowish Elves for protection and support as they have the longest history of independence.

VoxRationis
2015-05-08, 12:21 PM
The difficulty with the "Minoans with Winchesters" idea means that technology tends to inform culture. Especially weapons technology. Even primitive firearms require advanced smithing techniques, some degree of standardization (the better-fitting the bullets, the more you need to standardize), and large, difficult-to-make facilities for mass-production of gunpowder. That all produces a culture favoring centralized authority over distributed authority, but at the same time, the comparative ease of outfitting commoners with firearms favors citizen-armies rather than warrior classes, raising the status and power of the lower class.
Of course, exactly what Minoan culture was has been the subject of some debate over time, and you could probably adapt it to whatever the technology informs fairly easily.

Tzi
2015-05-08, 02:20 PM
The difficulty with the "Minoans with Winchesters" idea means that technology tends to inform culture. Especially weapons technology. Even primitive firearms require advanced smithing techniques, some degree of standardization (the better-fitting the bullets, the more you need to standardize), and large, difficult-to-make facilities for mass-production of gunpowder. That all produces a culture favoring centralized authority over distributed authority, but at the same time, the comparative ease of outfitting commoners with firearms favors citizen-armies rather than warrior classes, raising the status and power of the lower class.
Of course, exactly what Minoan culture was has been the subject of some debate over time, and you could probably adapt it to whatever the technology informs fairly easily.

Indeed, though it is hard to extrapolate much about the Minoans beyond visual arts and architecture. They left us no writing that we can decipher that I know of.

In a sense it is a aesthetic similarity. Much of those Islands would likely resemble Santorini in many respects with palatial villas more superficially resembling Knossos.

Tzi
2015-05-12, 06:19 PM
A bit of Lore:

In terms of writing and literacy the Elves are considerably more likely to be literate. Games may have a degree of literacy as an ability. I.E. you can speak a certain number of languages but are only familiar with say one or two in written form.

Elvish languages more or less come in two branching varieties. BUT they are fairly similar so that Elves in any one branch might have a reasonable chance of grasping another elfs message. On the other hand Elves, as opposed to Humans and Orcish people have a very Uniform set of writing systems across all four moons. Elven writing is universally vertical, written from top to bottom, and from left to right. Also any Elvish language can be written in the some 4-6 writing systems that exist for Elvish languages. More over they all look FAIRLY similar so that any elf can recognize other elves writings. On Tynerak there is only 1 widely used Elven writing system, used for roughly 7 distinct languages.

Elves also get bonus to language understanding, so maybe an advantage to understand the speech of any elf or read any elven writing even if its a language they don't speak?

Humans on the other hand have very diverse systems of writing and numerous very different languages that sound very different from one another.

Orcs meanwhile have very peculiar writing systems but very similar languages. Though often Orcish languages are unwritten.

Tzi
2015-05-17, 04:35 PM
Astyra
Third rock from Tyr, the Garden of the Elves

http://i.imgur.com/J7Kjist.jpg

Astyra is a world of unending shallow seas. Violent storms blow in, and warm rain gently kisses its surface. What Astyra lacks in land it makes up for in forests. Vast unending jungles and woods, even growing out in the shallows of the oceans. It is little wonder the woods obsessed Elves spawned from here.

Astyra is also considered a gloomy world of melancholy, it's vast storms and often cloud covered skies makes for a sometimes eerie world in some of the denser woodlands. It is also a planet with tainted regions and some areas of magical distortions and ghastly apparitions, much left over from the ancient Dominion War and before. Long ago the Elves summoned Celestial beings, not all of whom were good. Their dead corpses leaving a strange effect on the world were they rot. Fonts of arcane magic flow more wildly here and the planet is host to many magical "wells".

Astyra is still an active warzone, with remnants of human colonists exported to the world to put down Elven insurgency and supplant the Elves having lived for generations and being unwilling to leave. A vast number of Half-Elves that emerged during the Dominion Wars period or the even old colonization. Elves in general still hold the plural majority on the planet and it is host to Elves of many communities that grew up off of Astyra. For the Drow Elves, Astyra is a prize. The conquest of which and "liberation of," will signify the end of Hyporian reign. Hyporians still have hold outs as well, small isolated citadels that operate to this day, plausibly the last ethnic Hyporians on the Four Moons.

Geography of Astyra

http://i.imgur.com/iH3a2Xl.jpg
"Gloom Forests," in the various Elven languages. They are wooded thickets that often coat the temperate regions and form vast unearthly and often haunted woods. These dark recesses on the planet are often host to ancient celestial or demons and forest spirits. Sometimes sacred to various Elven cultures, there are legions of these sorts of temperate woodlands. Magical veils between worlds is said to be thinnest here, also often these forests crop up in areas of hauntings or ghostly energies.

http://i.imgur.com/qkggSil.jpg
"diffeithwch mawreddog" as its called in the language of nearby Elves. Once a glorious city of theirs, laid low and ruined during the Hyporian invasion. The sunny planes were badly damaged and the land is odd and chaotic but has become a place of resettlement. Much like the gloom forests, places like this have become a sort of hub of myth and legend. The belief locally is that it will be the site of "Deyrnas Arian" which either means the Silver Kingdom of Silver Age in local tongues. Making the vast haunted ruins a place of messianic religious fervor for Elven or Elven speaking communities.

http://i.imgur.com/Hfjk2t3.jpg
The Celestial Bones or Titan Bones depending on the translation. Appearing in various parts on the moon, various have great names and lore. Specifically these two are said to be the "Lovers," and whose bones and body form part of a large coral reef complex. Some of the Celestials became evil however and there are areas were their darker vestige energies pollute the land. Many were summoned either at the height of Elven power and dominance as sources of magic or channeling Gods, OR were bound and summoned to fight the Hyporians to varying success.

http://i.imgur.com/55lrz2u.jpg
Forming in shallow seas, Mushroom forests and fungal growths are common. Some are very small, with very little about them that can be dangerous. Others are part of vast marshy shallow sea complexes. The seas often have iridescent glowing plants, bugs and other fauna.

Tzi
2015-05-17, 09:50 PM
Maybe Tynerak should be re-written to be more desolate? Maybe even devestated more recently? Maybe the world is a kind of Mad Max-scape instead.

One thing I considered is that the "free elves," or in this context Drow discovered a precursor device and made use of a devestating weapon against the Hyporians. Think a magical ICBM that they could launch at foes?

Or simply the destruction of the Hyporians or Hyporian - Drow wars devastated the Tynerak surface and reduced parts of the world to lifeless?

Tzi
2015-06-13, 05:27 PM
As an element of the universe and its "Cosmic" Scale I am definitely thinking hard on the role of "Celestial," plains and just what a Celestial is. To some extent this effects what a God can or cannot be.

Originally I wanted all planes creatures to be the same but another thought gripped me, these beings go through life cycles and live lives, perhaps shadow lives, constituting a strange hidden aspect of the cosmos that the material universe doesn't typical see.

Part of Astyra's lore is a vast Demonic invasion in its early history that though victorious, scattered the early Elven race to all the moons. Laying at its surface is the severed piece of a fossilizing being of great power, possibly the equivalent of a great demon or celestial. Which would in theory create a race of Fey'ri and other such things.

Tzi
2015-06-19, 07:20 PM
I think the Elven world of Astyra will be the site of the first real "setting," since I think I have enough lore to make it work and I like the idea of a gloomy more melancholy world the Elven races come from.

Tzi
2015-06-27, 09:07 AM
The Nations of Orcish Kind

Once the sole inhabitants of Tynerak, their kind is scattered to all four of the Moons, with the most civilized and settled residing not on Tynerak, but on Astyra. Once thought of as mere workers, animals and creatures to be selectively bred, The Orcish or Goblinoid races are now free of both Elven and Human rule. But their once one race is now many sorts of races, many bred, and inbred and low on the intelligence level save for a few clever ones. Here and there stirs a new (Or some say Archaic) sort of Orc. The primal and more intelligent species. These Orc's, brawny and strong are also strong witted and live on many worlds.

(More...)

Tzi
2015-08-10, 05:35 PM
Sorry for the long absence, So, Unearthed Arcana: Modern Magic (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modern-magic) came out, as well as some early psionic type class (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA6_AwakenedMysticv2.pdf) which really got the ball rolling for me.

I'm debating a bit of a rework of Awakened mystic to add healing and other abilities. Otherwise it seems Wizards of the Coast has done some work for me.

Bharaeth
2015-08-11, 04:29 AM
Hi Tzi - sorry to come late into this. Was thinking about your gas giant. Now, am a complete novice at planetary science, having spent a couple months this year following Artifexian videos and hitting up wikipedia and nothing more: I think gas giants only form outside of the habitable zone, beyond the frostline of a planetary system, which will impact on the habitability of its planets.

There is a possibility that the gas giant might have travelled closer to its star, in which case though, it may no longer be a gas giant, but perhaps a water planet, or something else... I'm not sure. If so, were its moons there originally, and have only recently become capable of supporting life, or are they new editions, drawn towards it, or smashed up from larger planets?

Regarding Tyranak (is that the name?) and its greater volcanic activity, maybe it is closer to its giant, and subject to more pressure, or just more massive and/or dense than the other moons? Maybe it might be hotter, because it is suspended at a la grange point between the system star and the parent gas giant, rather than orbiting it like a normal moon?

Tzi
2015-08-11, 11:00 AM
Hi Tzi - sorry to come late into this. Was thinking about your gas giant. Now, am a complete novice at planetary science, having spent a couple months this year following Artifexian videos and hitting up wikipedia and nothing more: I think gas giants only form outside of the habitable zone, beyond the frostline of a planetary system, which will impact on the habitability of its planets.

There is a possibility that the gas giant might have travelled closer to its star, in which case though, it may no longer be a gas giant, but perhaps a water planet, or something else... I'm not sure. If so, were its moons there originally, and have only recently become capable of supporting life, or are they new editions, drawn towards it, or smashed up from larger planets?

Regarding Tyranak (is that the name?) and its greater volcanic activity, maybe it is closer to its giant, and subject to more pressure, or just more massive and/or dense than the other moons? Maybe it might be hotter, because it is suspended at a la grange point between the system star and the parent gas giant, rather than orbiting it like a normal moon?

The exact origins of the Moons is a relative mystery. The presence of odd, Alien or particularly strange structures at the magnetic poles and a few other oddities buried deep underground suggest that the current residents are not the first, and in back story these worlds were some progenirator races Engineering project.

The science of these worlds is admittedly lax, though I allow it on the grounds that it is a universe of magic.

Tzi
2015-08-11, 11:11 AM
Also I may be remixing Tynerak to be a bit more arid due to war and catastrophe. A major lore overhaul is in the works.