PDA

View Full Version : PEACH! Phasewalker Class

themourningstar
2015-04-26, 08:08 PM
I am trying to design a 20th level class that uses dimension door style teleportation to be a viable melee combatant. The inspiration for this class comes from a variety of places- the 3D Maneuvering Gear from Attack on Titan, Nightcrawler of the XMEN, the Mistwalker Trilogy, The Flash from DC... Basically, it is a character that uses movement to their advantage.

I wanted to add something Similar to the Rogue's Talents and Advanced Talents, that would be combat focused, but I wanted to get some feedback first.

Thank you very much for any feedback!

Phasewalker

The phasewalker travels through the world unseen by many. His ability to teleport from one place to another allows him to go places others wouldn’t dare.

Alignment: Any

Hit Die: d6

BAB: As fighter

SAVES: As Rogue

Class Skills: Acrobatics, Climb, Craft, Intimidate, Knowledge (Planes), Profession, Ride, Stealth, Swim

Skill Ranks per Level: 4+ Int Modifier

CLASS FEATURES

The following are class features of the phase walker.

Weapon and Armor Profiency: Phasewalkers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. They are proficient with light armor, but not with shields- phasewalkers are trained to avoid blows, not block them.

Phase Walking (Su): A phasewalker can slip through reality in a way no one, not even the phasewalker, understands. As a move action, a phasewalker may teleport up to his move speed to any square that he has line of sight to. The phaswalker cannot move into an occupied square, and must be able to see the space he is moving into.
A phasewalker can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn't exceed your light load. She cannot take another creature.
At 8th level, a phasewalker can teleport using only a swift action.
Fast Movement (Ex): At 3rd level, a phasewalker gains an enhancement bonus to his land speed, as shown on Table: monk. A phasewalker in medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.
Slow Fall (Ex): At 4th level or higher, a phasewalker can slow his descent. When first gaining this ability, he takes damage as if the fall were 20 feet shorter than it actually is. The phasewalker's ability to slow his fall (that is, to reduce the effective distance of the fall when next to a wall) improves with his phasewalker level until at 20th level he can slow his descent and fall any distance without harm.

Phaseblade (Ex): A phasewalker learns how to use their phase ability to inflict extra an extra 1d6 damage at first level. This damage increases by 1d6 at every other level. On any turn that a phasewalker teleports, all of its attacks, including attacks of opportunity, inflict the extra damage.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, , a phasewalker can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He cannot be caught flat-footed, even if the attacker is invisible. He still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. A phasewalker with this ability can still lose his Dexterity bonus to AC if an opponent successfully uses the feint action against him.

Evasion (Ex): At 4nd level and higher, a phasewalker can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the scout is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless scout does not gain the benefits of evasion.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 9th level, phasewalker's evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless phasewalker does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A rogue of 8th level or higher can no longer be flanked.
This defense denies another rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target does.
If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from another class, the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Freedom of Movement (Ex): At 20th level, the phasewalker may act as though under the effects of the freedom of movement spell. The phasewalker may use this ability each day for a number of rounds equal to his phasewalker level. The rounds need not be consecutive.

Lord of Shadows
2015-04-27, 07:24 PM
Just to toss this in for comparison, the Pathfinder RPG Travel (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo---domains/travel-domain) domain has this as a Domain power:

Dimensional Hop (Sp): At 8th level, you can teleport up to 10 feet per cleric level per day as a move action. This teleportation must be used in 5-foot increments and such movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You must have line of sight to your destination to use this ability. You can bring other willing creatures with you, but you must expend an equal amount of distance for each creature brought.

Lord of Shadows
2015-04-27, 07:29 PM
In a more general response, after reading the class:

I would add Spellcraft to the list of Class Skills.

Unlimited teleport, even for a short distance, is probably too powerful. Something scaled to levels or an ability score would be better.

themourningstar
2015-04-30, 11:20 AM
I definitely need to update the wording of the teleportation ability to include the 5 foot minimums, and that it doesnt provoke AoOs (though maybe it should if you teleport adjacent to someone?). I wanted to add a Dimension Door ability, x/day, at around 8th level and then teleport and greater teleport later.. Maybe even Shadowwalk?

I wouldnt want the class to be overpowering, but even with dimension door and teleport, it wont do any of the core roles better than the core classes can.

Lord of Shadows
2015-04-30, 06:29 PM
I definitely need to update the wording of the teleportation ability to include the 5 foot minimums, and that it doesnt provoke AoOs (though maybe it should if you teleport adjacent to someone?).

The way we play it here, it does just what it says on the tin, "does not provoke." Of course, the PFRPG Domain ability is way more limited in range that what you are considering. I can see this movement as not provoking on exiting, but provoking on entering, any square adjacent to an occupied one. At least that way the target has a chance. It also tones down the advantage a little.

I wanted to add a Dimension Door ability, x/day, at around 8th level and then teleport and greater teleport later.. Maybe even Shadowwalk?

The fluff "travels through the world unseen" made me think of the ability to blend into the shadows right away.. either by stealth or by some other means. Maybe a bonus to Hide? (Or Stealth in Pathfinder?) And uses of Dimension Door, Teleport and Greater Teleport all scaled by level sound reasonable.

I wouldnt want the class to be overpowering, but even with dimension door and teleport, it wont do any of the core roles better than the core classes can.

Well, unlimited anything is a bit much. And the ability to pop from here to there is a massive strategic advantage, especially if others can be brought along for the ride. The size restriction won't matter much, our group gets around that by putting everyone in a Bag of Holding or Portable Hole carried by the transporter.

I was also pondering on the Freedom of Movement. That could be gained earlier, and still scaled by level. It is not overpowering by itself, it's a 4th level spell that lasts 10 min/level. I can see allowing that a number of uses of it per day that gradually goes up starting at maybe 7th or 8th level. Holding off on that till 20th level seems a bit much. Perhaps even at 20th level it becomes permanent.