PDA

View Full Version : Direct Damage: Possible?

Enzario
2007-04-16, 09:07 PM
I've heard a lot on these and other boards that direct damage spells are a waste, since many creatures can negate damage through immunities/evasion/whathaveyou. My question: is a psionic character feasible that is based around direct damage powers? Since they can change damage types of their powers on the fly, they can bypass many immunities, and one of those types (cold) changes a reflex saving throw to a fortitude save, thereby negating the benefits of evasion. Any reasons this might not work? Constructive criticism is appreciated.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-16, 09:09 PM
Sure. Damage is pretty much the only thing that psions do better than arcanists, and they aren't bad at it.

Orzel
2007-04-16, 09:13 PM
Direct damage via spells and powers are a waste because weapon users can produce higher damage without using resources, not because of resistances. Magic and psionic damage is usually used for High AC targets and groups of mooks.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-16, 09:16 PM
I'd say that a proper kineticist can probably do damage equivalent to or better than a typical fighter (and a few other things besides).

storybookknight
2007-04-16, 09:19 PM
Kinetics can be pretty hardcore. Energy Stun, for example, is a wonderful little power.

Nomads can mimic most of the same things with a bit more on the teleporty flavors... I like them muchly as well.

Person_Man
2007-04-16, 09:26 PM
A Kineticist with Energy Missile (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyMissile.htm) and the right feats has one of the best damage per level ratios in the game. But as Orzel mentioned, lots of melee builds can put out just as much damage, and they can do it all day.

So if you want to play a Psion who focuses on direct damage, that's fine. You'll certainly be useful. Just accept the fact that you're less useful then you could be if you focused on other things.