PDA

View Full Version : Help me price this magic item.

gadren
2015-04-27, 12:00 PM
My wizard, Byon wants to make a custom magic book.
Scrolls, Pages of Spell Knowledge, and research notes inserted into the book will automatically attach to the binding, and can only be easily removed by pressing a button on the spine. The spine will widen or shorten to accommodate the number of pages in the book, and its contents are more durable: they are not damaged by water and become about as combustible as stone.
However, the primary feature is that the book is magically linked to Byon's right eye. He can read and use any page in the book without opening it, even in magical darkness, as long as the book is within 5 ft of him. Scrolls used this way still lose their magic after being cast.

My DM is having a difficult time coming up with a price. If you were DM, what would you say the base gp value of such an item would be, and why?

Geddy2112
2015-04-27, 12:44 PM
The book is functioning as a small bag of holding, maybe closer to handy haversack since you always have what you need. 1k for the bag, 2k for the sack, maybe less due to the limited nature of what it can store, maybe more if the storage capacity is unlimited.

It has book ward on it to resist fire and be immune to water damage. It has no cost to make permanent, but level 2 spells hit by permanancy cost 5k.

It also has an arcane sight/read magic function as you can read the book without opening, which is a minor form of scrying. I would say with the range penalty and since its on you that just count it as a constant zero level read magic/detect magic on it-2.5k.

Pages of spell knowledge you add based on their cost.

So, that brings it up to 8.5-9.5k, half if you craft it yourself. Of course, it could be earned as a treasure equivalent or perhaps built in stages. First, it just holds inserted scrolls, then resistant to fire and water, then scrying.

Seclora
2015-04-27, 01:03 PM
6.8k gold pieces and the use of your right eye, giving you a -2 on Spot and Search checks as well as a lifetime of Odin jokes.

Base Item: Infinite Scrollcase from MIC(p. 162) lose the bonus on casting defensively in favor of inifinite spellbook function. Quickdraw function continues to work for scrolls and spell preperation.
Resistance to Energy(Major) on a spellbook out of Complete Arcane runs 3k gp for resistance 12/all, and another 1k gp gets your waterproofing.

You lose your eye because it fits flavor and this thing is hella cheap for the convenience.

PFDM
2015-04-27, 01:07 PM
I'd price it at 5000 gp

Here's why
The water and fire proofing is similar to the spellbook options in complete arcane: +2000gp
The ability to read scrolls in the dark is pretty minor. About inline with items in the MIC that only cost 500gp
The reading without looking ability is the most costly part. It basically gives you quick draw for scrolls (which non-magical scroll organizers also do - they just hold fewer scrolls) so ~1000gp, and frees up an item "slot", which is similar to a hand of glory minus the 2 spells, so +8000gp -5400gp -2160gp.
Then round up the gp cost to even 1000's to be inline with most other items.

gadren
2015-04-27, 01:36 PM
6.8k gold pieces and the use of your right eye, giving you a -2 on Spot and Search checks as well as a lifetime of Odin jokes.
I didn't mention it because it wasn't relevant, but the character is already missing an eye and a hand and his feet after a tragic accident, which have been replaced with magic prothesis (it's an Eberron game).

Seclora
2015-04-27, 01:44 PM
I didn't mention it because it wasn't relevant, but the character is already missing an eye and a hand and his feet after a tragic accident, which have been replaced with magic prothesis (it's an Eberron game).

Oh good, that should work just perfectly then.

jiriku
2015-04-27, 10:49 PM
I would agree, this is basically an infinite scrollcase with several extra perks piled on. Somewhere between 5,000 gp and 9,000 gp sounds right to me.