PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Building an Assassin

bootzin
2015-04-27, 01:57 PM
Hey guys!

So, I wanna build an really awesome assassin capable of doing all those crazy thing we see on the movies/games and even more!

I've created the character concept, looked through a few classes, feats and items, and I'll present what I have so far, but any advices you have are welcome (:

For clarification: We use fractional BAB and Saves, and the pathfinder feat progression, no flaws allowed.

Race: Shadow-Walker Vecna Blooded Changeling
Stats: 8/16/12/16/10/10 -> 8/18/10/16/10/10

Level
Class
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Comments
Feats

Changeling Rogue 1
52 Skill Points. Period. That means 13 skills with max ranks on first level. Some of those include tumble, bluff, disguise, SoH, Hide, Move Silently and Iaijutsu Focus. And we can also take 10 on a few social skills, which is very nice. (Note that this allows me to take 10 on feint attempts, wee!). Probably Knowledge (Arcana) as a class skill.
I thought about Faerie Mysteries Initiate, but it is kinda cheesy, so probably Dodge (prereq)

Rogue 2
Nothing special here, Evasion is nice. Mosquito Bite is a very nice skill trick for the character's concept.
-

Rogue 3
Penetrating Strike ACF. Adding at least half my SA to normally immune creatures is nice.
Mobility (prereq)

Manifesting Class - Probably Divine Mind
I thought about any psionic class which can give me access to minonr psionic creation, as I'll be using it to create both Luhix (drug) and black Lotus Extract (Poison) as an easy way of getting poisons. I'd get the Hidden Talent ACF, and this would also give me a small bonus of one mantle and one aura (Probably the freedom Mantle)
B:Hidden Talent

City Brawler Crafty Hunter Barbarian 1
The City Brawler ACF is merely for RP purposes, my assassin will be a woman with a very strong personality, who lives mostly in taverns and knows how to fight. The Crafty Hunter ACF is because Rage doesn't really fit her concept. On the other hand, she is a cold blood mercenary killer, who gets the job done when needed, and having Favored Enemy (Human) fits her very nicely. Barbarian is here also for the full BAB. I wanna swap Fast Movement for something else, any advices are welcome. (:
Spring Attack (prereq)

Warshaper 1
I'll basically stay 99% of the time transformed (My character is a female changeling that gets herself disguised as a female human. Nobody knows she is not a human). That means that I'll basically gain this class's benefitis 99% of the time. And they are pretty damn good. No criticals and no stun? I like that on my 6th level character.
-

Assassin 1
Because an Assassin should be an Assassin, right? I like his death attack, SA progression and quite some nice spells regarding a sneaky character type. If there is any way of changing his poison use ability it would be nice, as I intend to get all the benefits of it from weapon's special properties.
Blind-Fight (prereq)

Telflammar Shadowlord 1
6.25/0.75
This is probably the main class of the build. The abilities are very nice for a sneaky character, they fit well, combo well with an assassin, have some nice abilities and spells and they are really good overall.
-

Warshaper 2
7/1.5
I know that this class isn't the best one to fit this concept, but the +4 bonus on STR and CON make up for the lack of them I had so far. I gain around 18 retroactive HP, and the STR necessary to at least carry my stuff around.
Darkstalker

Telflammar Shadowlord 2
7.75/2.25
Shadow Blur is awesome! Yay
-

Telflammar Shadowlord 3
8.5/3
Nothing special here, I guess.
Staggering Strike

Telflammar Shadowlord 4
9.25/3.75
SSSSHHHHHHADOW POUNCE!!! (Awesome guitar solo in the backgroud :smallcool: ). This ability rocks, man, really. And this is probably the main reason why I'm not getting Spirit Lion totem Barbarian ACF.
-

Telflammar shadowlord 5
10/4.5
Shadow discorporation may be good, but meh. DCs that include damage dealt can get sky high, making it too difficult to bypass. (That's why Staggering Strike is so good)
This is where I run out of ideas for feats. Some of them are quite nice, but I haven't really decided any. Suggestions are welcome

Telflammar Shadowlord 6
10.75/5.25
This is nice because it basically adds a death attack progression to each of your class levels, and they stack with Assassin levels
-

Warshaper 3
11.5/6/0
Sneak Attacking your foes and preventing full attacks is nice
Still lost regarding feats

Warshaper 4
12.25/6.75/0.75
Fast Healing has so many uses outside of combat. I love it so much. Maybe I should take another class, but I really have no good ideas.
-

Assassin 2
13/7.5/1.5
Basically I'm going for more SA, and Uncanny dodge is nice as well.
?

Assassin 3
13.75/8.25/2.25
More SA and some nice spells, not much more than that.
-

Assassin 4
14.5/9/3
Meh, nothing to say
??????

Assassin 5
15.25/9.75/3.75
Improved Uncanny Dodge and more SA, I really think I could use these last levels better, not really sure how. And I probably calculated BAB in a wrong way, but I'll adjust that later.

Now, regarding some items that I think would make up well for the character.

I'll use a hidden blade as my assassination weapon. I'll make it a Legacy weapon that intends to maximize sneak attack damage, so here it goes:

Base: +1 Gnomish Quickrazor with Hilt hollow and Triple Capsule Retainer made out of Gehennan Morghuth Iron
Penalties: -3 skill checks, -20 HP

5: Sneak Attack - +1d6 Sneak Attack (taken from umbral awn)
6: -
7: Enhancement - +1 Assassination
8: Higher Vantage - Climb speed 20ft
9: Sting like a Bee - +1d6 against larger oponents
10: Faithful Strike - +1/+1 atk/dmg against opposed alignment characters, half if only "half opposed".
11*: Enhancement - +1 Assassination Deadly Precision
12: Boundless Determination/misc - You can use the Assassin's Stance.
13: Sneak Attack - +2d6 Sneak Attack (Umbral Awn)
14: Invisibility - At Will.
15: Slippery Barrier - Swift Action 5x5 Grease.
16: Cunning? Initiative? Another 3rd level maneuver?
17*: Weapon Enhancement (Lesse 3 slots) - +3 Assassination Deadly Precision (MIC)
18: Between the Ribs - +4 to attack & damage while Sneak Attacking.
19: Sneak Attack - +3d6 Sneak Attack. (Umbral awn)
20: Weapon Enhancement (Greater 1 slot) - +3 Assassination Deadly Precision + (2 "+1" enhancementss or 1 "+2")

I'm gonna use Fukimi Bari because they are really nice weapons for when you can't let the opponent know you're armed. And they can deliver injury poisons quite effectively, specially when comboed with Mosquito Bite skill trick.

Additionally, I thought about using either Dart Thruster or Spring-loaded Gauntlet, for attacking distant targets. (And I'd probably load the Dart Thruster with Stun darts). And finally, Desert Throwing Daggers, because they are awesome :P

For melee attacks (My main sort of damage, I guess), I'll be using a Barbed Dagger (CAdv), that grants me an additional +2 dmg when I sneak attack. It's enhancements untill now would be: +5 Assassination Toxic Virulent, and it would be made of Gehennan Morguth Iron, which has -1 on attacks, but poisons the enemy on every attack. Probably make it Feycraft as well. Adding Triple Weapon Capsule Retainer and Hilt Hollow for 4/encounter swift action poison use.

Regarding smoke bombs, I guess that as long as I don't have any sort of concealment-negating item, I'll have to avoid these (Try some blinding alchemicals, maybe?)

My armor will deffinetly have the Glammering Armor property, as it will allow me to disguise very effectively among almost any society (At least, medium sized ones).

A Wand of Hunter's Eye created with a CL of 18 will provide me an extra 6d6 SA dmg. That, along with Braces of Murder and Bracers of the Hunter would give me a really nice boost to my SA, I could even get a Rogue's Vest to increase it even further. And Mantle of the Predator to finish the cake.

I don't want the Craven feat for RP reasons only. My character is not someone who stands away from battle, but is brave enough to stand against anyone who faces her.

I'd also get some Teeth of Dahlver-Nar (ToM), as their bonuses are stupid when compared to their prices.

So this is my build up until now. I really don't know how would it play at later levels, but I hope it is nice. I'd like to hear some suggestions from you guys telling me what should I change on this character, which feats should I take, Are there any items that I'm forgetting? And what about armor? What should I do with it?

Any help is appreciated (Sorry for the long post!) (:

Theomniadept
2015-04-27, 02:11 PM
Check out http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook) for roguish items and such that you'll find incredibly useful (Liquid Smoke is great for movable concealment).

One thing about Assassin: it might not be 100% optimal but if you're looking to advance the Sneak Attack, poison resistance, spellcasting, and Death Attack DC, technically after 10 levels of Assassin you can jump into that legacy weapon master prestige class that advances other class abilities, which is a good way to continue both spellcasting and sneak attacking. Also if you're going for improved DCs don't forget Ability Focus.

Pluto!
2015-04-27, 03:34 PM
I made a class handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8273.0) on the Assassin. Might be worth checking to fill in some of the blank areas.

I've tried to be fair about Divine Mind, but the class isn't your friend here. It doesn't natively have Hidden Talent, PP progression or anything. What you might consider in its place is the Psionic variant of the Assassin from Secrets of Sarlona, which gets its own manifesting progression. Or Soulknife, which does get Hidden Talent with its web enhancement ACF, and which allows Hidden Talent to be taken more than once (so Dimension Hop and Minor Creation could both be available). Otherwise, Psion itself could get you the power, and a feat to boot.

If you're trading away most of the Barbarian's class features anyway, I'd be tempted to change that level to Warblade with mostly Tiger Claw maneuvers, but also Moment of Perfect Mind. That would also give a recharge mechanic to Shadow Jump, should you grab it from a Martial Study feat or a pair of Lesser Shadow Hands.

I don't think Warshaper levels 3 or 4 are good here. Reach isn't very pertinent here, since you don't have the tools for good battlefield control, and you'll probably be doing a good bit of Shadow Pouncing.

bootzin
2015-04-27, 06:09 PM
I love Shax Haversack! It has some really nice items! I'll make sure I check it ou later!

Regarding assassin, I don't know.. The class is nice and all, but it doesn't really seems to add anything else beyond 1st level.. I thought about Legacy Champion as well, but I haven't completed any class so that I wanted to increase it further :/

I was wondering.. Do you think that 5 levels of Zentharim Spy would fit nicely into the build?

Regarding Divine Mind, here you are: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a

He may swap Wild talent for Hidden Talent (:
My first option was going for Psion, but his BAB turned me down :/

Regarding the psionic assassin, I considered it, but ended up thinking that dimension hop would be a nice addition to the build, since it would mean swift action full attack, but I did thought about psychic assassin instead of the normal one, although to didn't have the time to evaluate which one would be better :P

Regarding war shaper 3 and 4, I totally agree with you. They don't have much to add to the build, but I really don't know what to place there instead.. Those levels, and maybe a couple assassin levels, could be replaced, but suggestions would be welcomed (I'm not the biggest fan of magic though)

And for feats, I'll take keen intellect as well, don't know much else :/

Btw, I love your guide, looked a lot through it (:

Thx for the help!

EDIT-----

I forgot to say: I'll take the Collar of Umbral Darkness (?) to get the Dark template continuously

bootzin
2015-04-28, 07:06 PM
I'd still like some help with this build :smallconfused:

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-04-28, 08:37 PM
Skimmed through everything so someone might of mentioned it already but what about the Psionic Assassin varient from WotC website.

bootzin
2015-04-29, 08:21 AM
I've looked at psionic assassin. I think that the spells are much better than the powers.. Like, a lot better indeed. The sole advantage is that I could use the power points for other abilities, but I don't know if it is worth it. Also, I just noticed that Psionic assassin would key my PP off Int, which can be very good.

As a side note, I think that Ardent would be better that Divine Mind, as I could get the benefits I wanted and some more useful ones. Main problem is that I'd need another point in WIS to manifest 1st level powers