PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Feats (Design/Balance)

RATHSQUATCH
2015-04-27, 07:10 PM
Starting working up a couple new Feats that me and my players thought up. I wanted to run them by you all for balance and your opinion when compared to other Feats that are out there.

ANIMAL COMPANION
You gain the companionship of an animal of CR 1/4 or lower. Unlike a Ranger’s Companion, this animal is just like the basic version of the beast given in the Monster Manual. Should you companion be killed, you may select another after 24 hours. In addition, on any of your turns when your beast companion doesn't attack, you can use a bonus action to command the beast to take the Dash, Disengage, Dodge, or Help action on its turn.

HARD TO KILL
You can be extremely tough to kill and even attack one last time before falling out. When you gain this feat, you gain the following abilities:
• Your Constitution Score increases by 1.
• When you drop to 0 hit point, you may make a single melee attack as a reaction.
• You can make a Constitution saving throw (DC 15) to avoid instant death from taking massive damage. If you succeed, you are at 0 hit points instead. (If using massive damage rules)
• When you are at 0 hit points, you succeed on a death saving throw on a 9 or higher (instead of 10 or higher).

MARTIAL THROWING
Taking advantage of other’s momentum, you have mastered the style of throwing your opponents to the ground. You gain the following abilities when you gain this feat:
• If an opponent attacks you and misses, you can make a trip attack against that opponent as your reaction.
• If an opponent no more than one size larger than you begins their turn outside your reach and then moves within your reach during their turn, you can use your reaction to attempt a trip attack against that opponent.
• When you make a readied trip attack triggered by a melee attack against you, you can choose to force the target to use either their Strength or Dexterity (your choice) to resist your trip attempt. If the target used the Dash action before their attack, they are at disadvantage on the roll to resist.

SEAMANSHIP
You are at home on the sea. You gain the following abilities when you select this feat:
• You have advantage on all Dexterity checks made to control a sea vehicle.
• You gain advantage on all ability checks made to sail.
• You gain advantage on all Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks to keep your balance at sea.
• You do not need to make a check against concentration even with less than calm seas.

TACTICIAN
You have honed your tactical combat ability. You gain the following abilities when you select this feat:
• Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
• If you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, you gain advantage on attacks against that target on your next turn.
• If you choose to take a -10 to your Initiative roll, all attacks you make during your first turn are at advantage.

RATHSQUATCH
2015-04-28, 01:23 PM
Feedback is welcome. If any of these are usable "as is" I'd like your opinion. I'd also like to know what you think could make some of these "weaker" or "Stronger" as needed. I appreciate your time.

Ralanr
2015-04-28, 06:33 PM
My favorites are hard to kill and tactician. I'm not sure on power though. If you take -10 initiative you get advantage on all attacks in combat? I'm might be reading it wrong.

RATHSQUATCH
2015-04-28, 06:36 PM
My favorites are hard to kill and tactician. I'm not sure on power though. If you take -10 initiative you get advantage on all attacks in combat? I'm might be reading it wrong.

That was the intent yes. Hard to kill is probably my favorite also.

DanyBallon
2015-04-28, 07:16 PM
I'd put the Animal Companion as a creature of CR 1/4 or lower, just to avoid the possibility for anyone to have a companion stronger than the Beast Master at low level.

RATHSQUATCH
2015-04-28, 07:27 PM
I'd put the Animal Companion as a creature of CR 1/4 or lower, just to avoid the possibility for anyone to have a companion stronger than the Beast Master at low level.

Good catch. It was my intent to match the Beast Master. Thanks I'll correct that now.

Ziegander
2015-04-29, 12:27 AM
Tactician is WAY too good. First, lose the Wisdom bonus, the rest of the feat is better than most "full feats." Second, the extra melee attack needs to cost you your bonus action. Third, -10 to initiative to get advantage on ALL your attacks for the entire encounter is lolworthy. Change that to all attacks you make during your first turn, and then you'd be good. With all those nerfs, Tactician would still be a kickass feat on par with Great Weapon Master, Polearm Master, or Sentinel on its own, and one that could be combined with Sentinel to deadly effect.

Dhavaer
2015-04-29, 07:51 AM
HARD TO KILL
• When you are at 0 hit points, you succeed on a death saving throw on a 10 or higher (instead of 11 or higher).

10 is the normal DC for a death saving throw.

DanyBallon
2015-04-29, 09:37 AM
Thought about it and while maxing at C1/4 creature, I'd give them some other bonus as well, because otherwise, why spend a feat to get an animal companion, why you can just buy one or train a wild animal? Since as the Ranger's animal companion, you must spend an action to give him an order. But you don't get to attack and give an order if you have extra attack. What about giving them the equivalent of Exceptional Training? A character with that feat will sure get that ability sooner than the ranger, but it won't be game breaking, and it's pretty much the only thing they'll get from the feat.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2015-04-29, 09:48 AM
MARTIAL THROWING
Taking advantage of other’s momentum, you have mastered the style of throwing your opponents to the ground. You gain the following abilities when you gain this feat:
• Your Dexterity Throw increases by 1.
• If an opponent attacks you and misses, you can make a trip attack against that opponent as your reaction.
• If an opponent no more than one size larger than you begins their turn outside your reach and then moves within your reach during their turn, you can use your reaction to attempt a trip attack against that opponent.
• When you make a readied trip attack triggered by a melee attack against you, you can choose to force the target to use either their Strength or Dexterity (your choice) to resist your trip attempt. If the target used the Dash action before their attack, they are at disadvantage on the roll to resist.

If you have a trip-focused build, this could be a little too strong. Free trip on them missing. Free trip on them approaching. If they miss, they roll with their worse bonus.

I'm a little concerned they won't get to do much other than be tripped. :smalltongue:

RATHSQUATCH
2015-04-29, 10:17 AM
If you have a trip-focused build, this could be a little too strong. Free trip on them missing. Free trip on them approaching. If they miss, they roll with their worse bonus.

I'm a little concerned they won't get to do much other than be tripped. :smalltongue:

I made this feat to match with Grappler so as to complete your three martial arts styles. So now you can strike, grapple, or use "Aikido" or other styles of tripping your opponent. Would you suggest allowing them to choose which save they use, instead of the tripping character?

Mr.Moron
2015-04-29, 10:32 AM
I made this feat to match with Grappler so as to complete your three martial arts styles. So now you can strike, grapple, or use "Aikido" or other styles of tripping your opponent. Would you suggest allowing them to choose which save they use, instead of the tripping character?

I might suggest something that says along the lines of:

"When you take this feat, choose Strength or Dexterity. That attribute increases by 1. The chosen attribute is the attribute modifier that is used for the saving throw DCs of this feat.

<your list of trip-triggers goes here> as a reaction [conditional text here], may attempt to throw the creature off balance.

When you attempt to throw a creature off balance, they immediately make their choice of a Dexterity or Strength throw. The DC of the saving throw is 8 + your attribute modifier + your proficiency bonus. The defender has advantage on the saving throw if they are 2 or more size categories larger than you, and has disadvantage if they are 2 or more size categories smaller than you. If they fail, they gain the prone condition."

This is obviously a departure from the standard rules but it gets around the horrible design of "If you can do it, you win every time" because nothing in the game can match grapple/trip/whatever expertise mods.

It falls in line with all other enemy-avoidable abilities, and allows you reach into much bigger creatures than the standard rules might allow. I think a design like this much cleaner and elegant than trying to work around what we got out of the box.

RATHSQUATCH
2015-04-30, 08:22 AM
I might suggest something that says along the lines of:

"When you take this feat, choose Strength or Dexterity. That attribute increases by 1. The chosen attribute is the attribute modifier that is used for the saving throw DCs of this feat.

<your list of trip-triggers goes here> as a reaction [conditional text here], may attempt to throw the creature off balance.

When you attempt to throw a creature off balance, they immediately make their choice of a Dexterity or Strength throw. The DC of the saving throw is 8 + your attribute modifier + your proficiency bonus. The defender has advantage on the saving throw if they are 2 or more size categories larger than you, and has disadvantage if they are 2 or more size categories smaller than you. If they fail, they gain the prone condition."

This is obviously a departure from the standard rules but it gets around the horrible design of "If you can do it, you win every time" because nothing in the game can match grapple/trip/whatever expertise mods.

It falls in line with all other enemy-avoidable abilities, and allows you reach into much bigger creatures than the standard rules might allow. I think a design like this much cleaner and elegant than trying to work around what we got out of the box.

The only issue I see is that there is no reasonable way an individual should be able to trip someone of more than 1 size category larger without prior planning (like a trip wire, or going "star wars" and wrapping something around their feet) doing this otherwise, would seem a bit strange. I think by removing the Dexterity increase, it should balance it out some.

Mr.Moron
2015-04-30, 08:37 AM
The only issue I see is that there is no reasonable way an individual should be able to trip someone of more than 1 size category larger without prior planning (like a trip wire, or going "star wars" and wrapping something around their feet) doing this otherwise, would seem a bit strange. I think by removing the Dexterity increase, it should balance it out some.

Well you can always ditch the advantage/disadvantage and still keep those limitations in place. I guess my point was that a:

Saving Throw vs DC->Condition dynamic is healthier than
Contested Skill Check->Auto-Win from Expertise + Advantage against absolutely everything in the game->Condition

You might get if you stuck with regular conventions. Size Category limits don't matter one way or the other, it's just that I'm personally kind of OK with ditching them. Its your feat, so having different tastes is fine.

My main point is that the general procedure should rely on mechanics that are in line with most tools PCs have to apply/conditions damage and not the bizarre "Auto-Succeed every time unless they're immune" that the current grapple/contest rules give us.

Giant2005
2015-04-30, 09:25 AM
I think you should get rid of the extra attacks feature of Tactician. With that part of the feat, it becomes a must-have for every melee build - even more-so than the likes of Polearm Master. Without that spect, it simply becomes an extremely good choice.
I think the two other parts of the feat are alone enough to make the feat worth having but if you wanted to, you could get away with chucking in +1 to an ability too.

RATHSQUATCH
2015-04-30, 09:58 AM
I think you should get rid of the extra attacks feature of Tactician. With that part of the feat, it becomes a must-have for every melee build - even more-so than the likes of Polearm Master. Without that spect, it simply becomes an extremely good choice.
I think the two other parts of the feat are alone enough to make the feat worth having but if you wanted to, you could get away with chucking in +1 to an ability too.

Yeah, in play-testing, it was unwise to have that extra attack. I actually found it even deadlier for rogues, giving them an additional sneak attack in the round. I will update it.

Ziegander
2015-04-30, 10:43 PM
Yeah, in play-testing, it was unwise to have that extra attack. I actually found it even deadlier for rogues, giving them an additional sneak attack in the round. I will update it.

You do know Sneak Attack is only once per turn, right? Not once per attack?

ImSAMazing
2015-05-01, 02:56 AM
Starting working up a couple new Feats that me and my players thought up. I wanted to run them by you all for balance and your opinion when compared to other Feats that are out there.

ANIMAL COMPANION
You gain the companionship of an animal of CR 1/4 or lower. Unlike a Ranger’s Companion, this animal is just like the basic version of the beast given in the Monster Manual. Should you companion be killed, you may select another after 24 hours. In addition, on any of your turns when your beast companion doesn't attack, you can use a bonus action to command the beast to take the Dash, Disengage, Dodge, or Help action on its turn.

HARD TO KILL
You can be extremely tough to kill and even attack one last time before falling out. When you gain this feat, you gain the following abilities:
• Your Constitution Score increases by 1.
• When you drop to 0 hit point, you may make a single melee attack as a reaction.
• You can make a Constitution saving throw (DC 15) to avoid instant death from taking massive damage. If you succeed, you are at 0 hit points instead. (If using massive damage rules)
• When you are at 0 hit points, you succeed on a death saving throw on a 9 or higher (instead of 10 or higher).

MARTIAL THROWING

SEAMANSHIP
You are at home on the sea. You gain the following abilities when you select this feat:
• You have advantage on all Dexterity checks made to control a sea vehicle.
• You gain advantage on all ability checks made to sail.
• You gain advantage on all Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks to keep your balance at sea.
• You do not need to make a check against concentration even with less than calm seas.

TACTICIAN
You have honed your tactical combat ability. You gain the following abilities when you select this feat:
• Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
• If you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, you gain advantage on attacks against that target on your next turn.
• If you choose to take a -10 to your Initiative roll, all attacks you make during your first turn are at advantage.

2 things, maybe make the feat ANIMAL COMPANION multiple chosable. So if you have chosen the feat the 2nd time, the CR goes up. Also, a tactician uses intelligence I think. So maybe +1 intelligence