PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Best classes for awakened quadrupeds?

MonkeySage
2015-04-27, 07:35 PM
I wanted to make a semi unique character, an awakened cat with class levels. Not sure which class would be best; casters other than druid are probably out, unless a DM can make an exception for wild casting. Monk sounds like it would compliment the cat's small size, natural weapons, and naturally high armor class.

Still haven't decided whether this is a panther or a house cat, realistically panther would probably be more survivable.

I'd imagine a panther with levels of fighter or barbarian would probably be a beast(heh) in combat.

Rogue could be fun, but skills that generally require fingers would be difficult.

Alchemist would be complicated for the same reason.

So what class and archetype might fit such a character best?

Kudaku
2015-04-27, 07:37 PM
A panther warlord that specializes in Golden Lion and Primal Fury maneuvers would be both hilarious and thematically very appropriate. Warlord (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/warlord) is 3rd party material though.

RolkFlameraven
2015-04-27, 07:43 PM
May I ask why you can't spell cast? Once awoken you get a language after all...

Though a shaper psion cat would be grate if you like Red Lanterns Dex-Starr is a good kitty.

MonkeySage
2015-04-27, 07:45 PM
Druids without natural spell lose the ability to cast, probably because they don't have the proper digits in animal form; fingers and such. I figure, the same rules would apply to awakened animals.

RolkFlameraven
2015-04-27, 07:51 PM
As far as I know its because it is not their normal form. As such its not how they learned how to cast. As a cat, you would use your paws in the same way people use their hands.

Oddly this means if you change shape into a person you would have trouble casting as its not how you 'normally' do it. But this word be per the DM I suspect.

MonkeySage
2015-04-27, 07:52 PM
Fair point... and honestly, a cat bard sounds awesome to me.

DrMotives
2015-04-27, 10:30 PM
Fair point... and honestly, a cat bard sounds awesome to me.

Or a beguiler in the same vein. But with a cat bard, you could have perform (yowling). And a character that gives you the excuse to make "cat in heat" noises at the table whenever you use your bard powers would be fun to run.

Other options would be a blademaster, if you're a fan of Mark Rodger's "Samurai Cat" series. Or refluff "master of masks" into "cat of many hats" if you want to do the Dr Seuss thing. Fencer would let you be Antonio Bandaras as a cat. Then there's The Cat from Red Dwarf, but I'm not sure what class he'd be.

Tohsaka Rin
2015-04-28, 04:31 AM
Go Monk for a few levels, then switch to Aegis.

Because getting all the benefits of a sack full of magical items, without having to ask 'does it come in Tabby-size?' is the gift that keeps on giving.

Plus Powerful Build. Never ever pass up the chance to get that.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-04-28, 10:36 AM
A big cat Slayer would be terrifying.

Red Fel
2015-04-28, 10:51 AM
So what class and archetype might fit such a character best?

Synthesist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/paizo---summoner-archetypes/synthesist) Summoner (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner). Watch as Kitty transforms into a horrific monstrosity. Kitty's physical ability scores are unimportant, since we use the Eidolon's.

Further, an Eidolon can speak all of its Summoner's languages. Even though Kitty can't speak, it knows languages, might even be able to read them. As such, the Eidolon knows the languages as well, but unlike its Summoner, it can speak. We can argue, then, that while in Eidolon form, Kitty can speak through its terrifying otherworldly beast-armor.

squiggit
2015-04-28, 10:57 AM
Even though Kitty can't speak
Just a minor correction. Awakened animals explicitly can talk.

NightbringerGGZ
2015-04-28, 11:43 AM
Kitty Kineticist. You are now a laser cat.

Red Fel
2015-04-28, 11:55 AM
Just a minor correction. Awakened animals explicitly can talk.

Point.

But its words will sound much more awesome coming from the gaping maw of a living nightmare armor monster from beyond.

Just sayin'.

MonkeySage
2015-04-28, 01:41 PM
Synthesist Summoner. Watch as Kitty transforms into a horrific monstrosity. Kitty's physical ability scores are unimportant, since we use the Eidolon's.

Further, an Eidolon can speak all of its Summoner's languages. Even though Kitty can't speak, it knows languages, might even be able to read them. As such, the Eidolon knows the languages as well, but unlike its Summoner, it can speak. We can argue, then, that while in Eidolon form, Kitty can speak through its terrifying otherworldly beast-armor.

That sounds amazing... hehe.

Definitely going that route if it's a house kitty.

Probably go for something more hands on if I do a Panther. How might Magus work for a Panther?

Miscast_Mage
2015-04-28, 04:24 PM
if DSP is on the table, Psion works amazingly well for a house cat. You never have to worry about somatic or vocal components. With the right choice of powers like Mind Link and Empathy communication isn't a problem and you actually become an incredible diplomat. Having offensive powers like Ego Thrust is just too hilarious for words. Another person on the board is responsible for the following quote:

"Is that cat starting at you?"
"It... it feels like he's inside my head!"
"I AM inside your head, Dave."

I really hope I can find a GM that lets me play a Telepath Psion house cat as the party face some day. :smallredface:

Propagandalf
2015-04-28, 04:39 PM
Pathfinder Soulknife with the Deadly Fist Archetype and Agile enchancement for your attacks.

Be the little buzzsaw that goes of like a claymore mine. :smallbiggrin: