PDA

View Full Version : Expanding the Duskblade spell list

Rahdjan
2007-04-16, 10:26 PM
My DM has offered to let me expand the Duskblade spell list. Obviously he'd have to make any final decisions, but what are some good spells that should be on the list or would totaly rock if they were. I already know about Wraithstrike.

Dhavaer
2007-04-16, 10:37 PM
Touch of Vecna. Melee touch attack that does damage and permanently paralyses. Also, Night's Kiss, I think it's called, damage and Con damage. Maybe it's called Night's Embrace?

Edit: Ah. Night's Caress.

Vyker
2007-04-16, 10:54 PM
Moonblade, from the Forgotten Realms main book. It's originally a divine spell, so put on your begging face, but it's just too much fun... and it's an excellent (and free!) backup weapon.

- Melee touch attack (screw you, armor!)
- 1d8+1 damager per two caster levels (max +15) or 2d8+1 damage per caster level (max +30) against undead.
- Targets struck (not damaged, but struck!) must make a Concentration check to use spells or spell-like abilities on their next turn at DC 10+damage+spell level, and those hit while casting must check to avoid ruining the spell in addition to their next turn.
- You do get the benefits of whatever sword/weapon feats you have which would apply to a sword.
- 1 min/level, but since it's a third level spell, by the time you need it, it's around for "long enough"

I imagine you can still channel spells through it, though your strength doesn't apply to damage. A shame, that.

Oh, and for you Star Wars fans out there, it's a lightsaber.

Roland St. Jude
2007-04-16, 11:04 PM
Seems like Fax and I put together a list a while back of spells that were in line with the types of spells Duskblades get, but were from other sources. These are the kind of spells already on the duskblade list - the spells we think WotC would have put on the list if they could have. (They generally write each supplement as if only it and core exists so that it doesn't require other books to use.)

So it isn't about what's super-powerful so much as extending the list to other reasonably similar choices.

Here it is (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34943)

Fax's list from the Spell Compendium:
From the Spell Compendium, adjusted to what I think would be fair Duskblade level:
L0
Caltrops
Electric Jolt
Know Greatest Enemy
Launch Item
Stick

L1
Corrosive Grasp
Critical Strike
Deafening Clang
Fist of Stone
Ie Dagger
Lightfoot
Nerveskitter
Nightshield
Persistent Blade
Phantom Threat
Rhino's Rush
Snowshoes

L2
Battering Ram
Bladeweave
Body of the Sun
Bristle
Combust
Daggerspell Stance
Delusions of Grandeur
Fireburst
Flame Dagger
Infernal Wound
Ironthunder Horn
Mountain Stance
Rainbow Beam
Scorch
Shadow Spray
Weapon Shift
Wracking Touch

L3
Belker Claws
Body Blades
Clarity of Mind
Diamondsteel
Find the Gap
Knight's Move
Know Opponent
Moon Blade
Ring of Blades
Spectral Weapon
Spider Poison
Steeldance
Sppress Breath Weapon
Unluck
Whirling Blade

L4
Bands of Steel
Blindsight
Displacer Form
Flame Whips
Forcewave
Frost Breath
Lion's Charge
Mind Poison
Vulnerability

L5
Acid Sheath
Aura of Evasion
Charge of the Triceratops
Emerald Flame Fist
Fireburst, Greater
Girallon's Blessing
Ray Deflection
Translocation Trick

From Magic of Incarnum:
L2
Divest Essentia

L4
Rend Essentia
Soulbleed

L5
Valiant Spirit

From Complete Scoundrel:
L1
Armor Lock

L2
Enlarge Weapon

L4
Spell Theft

From the PHB-II:
L2
Cloud of Knives

My list from other sources:
First, I would give them access to every 0-level spell. I know they get some as spell-like abilities from Arcane Attunement, but I think they might as well have access to all of them on the spell list (and not the mere four listed).

(I don't have my SC right now, but here's what I've culled from other sources.)

My premise is that I'm just extending the list to where it should be had the PHBII authors not been constrained to PHB & PHBII. Thus, I assume they included all the PHB & PHBII spells they desired, so while I might want to add more, it's not really in keeping with their intent. (I do think there are more PHB spells that would be fun on their list, perhaps even in keeping with the duskblade flavor, but I'm reluctant to go there.)

BoED
Lantern Light
Eyes of the Avoral
None
Elation
Warcry
Radiant Fog
Radiant Shield
Vanishing Weapon
Emerald Burst
Touch of Adamantine

BoVD
Unnerving Gaze
No Light
Slash Tongue

Death Grimace
Abberate
Bestow Wounds
Tongue Tendrils
Unheavened
Addiction
Masochism
Sadism
Sap Strength
Darkbolt
Shriveling
Devil’s Eye
Evil Eye
Tongue Serpent
Vile Lance
Abyssal Might
Hell’s Power
Wrack
Resonating Resistance

Libris Mortis
Ectoplasmic Armor
Necrotic Awareness
Blade of Pain and Fear
Ghost Touch Armor
Necrotic Cyst
Spawn Screen
Ectoplasmic Feedback
Necrotic Bloat
None
Kiss of the Vampire
Necrotic Burst
Night’s Caress
Other:
Spectral Touch (6) as (4)
Avasculate (7) as (5)
Energy Ebb (7) as (5)

AtomicKitKat
2007-04-17, 12:01 AM
Definitely aim for Blade of Pain and Fear. Your Strength modifier to damage is but a drop compared to whatever else you plan to channel. Almost any Assassin/Hexblade-able spell should probably also go on your list.

Takamari
2007-04-17, 12:13 AM
Wow, I would have loved to offer my opinions, but I think Rolands list beats me to it...lol.

I do think the the dusk blades need a little love on the spells they get. The description of them says that they mix arcane magic and martial prowess and can stand to a wizard for a while. Looking at their spells, I think not. Don't get me wrong, they are good, but could use some more spells.

Lolth
2007-04-17, 07:25 AM
Of all the possible things to add, I'd be happiest seeing more Level 0 spells.

I mean, seriously guys. *4* of them?

Dhavaer
2007-04-17, 07:28 AM
Of all the possible things to add, I'd be happiest seeing more Level 0 spells.

I mean, seriously guys. *4* of them?

I concur. Prestidigitation, people. Prestidigitation!

Rahdjan
2007-04-17, 09:57 AM
Wow, the feedback here if unbelieveable. I expected some response, but not on this scale. So thank you for the ideas. Now I don't think my DM will allow me to add "all" those spells, but I should be able to throw enough at him that he should allow some of them. Thanks again.

Roland St. Jude
2007-04-18, 12:13 AM
Well, if the source they are drawn from are permitted in your game, it shouldn't be a big deal to let you add all of them to your list. Remember, you still have to pick which ones you actually know. And that number doesn't increase at all. This just adds flexibility. Good luck!

Oelevas
2008-03-26, 01:54 AM
This is the link to a pdf of all classes including the dusk blade and the complete spell list for the dusk blade. Btw, for the duskblade, polar ray is a 5th lvl spell.

http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf

Hal
2008-03-26, 09:49 AM
Just don't go overboard. Remember, you only get one new spell per level, so you'll just end up disappointing yourself if you have a spell list a mile long and access to barely a fraction of it.

While increasing a Duskblade's spell list is a good step to improving them, I'd say giving them a few more spells to learn would help as well.

Kurald Galain
2008-03-26, 10:07 AM
Just don't go overboard. Remember, you only get one new spell per level, so you'll just end up disappointing yourself if you have a spell list a mile long and access to barely a fraction of it.

Precisely. The original duskblade spell list already has more fun stuff on it than you can actually get access to.

While I'm aware that the point of a gish is not to have a huge spell list, I believe it wouldn't be a bad idea to give the duskblade a pick of two spells rather than one, at every odd level. This gives him 28 spells rather than 19 (in addition to what he gets at level 1).

Thinker
2008-03-26, 10:19 AM
Holy Thread Necromancy, Batman!

Keld Denar
2008-03-26, 10:27 AM
Little bit o threadomancy, but since its up...

WHIRLING BLADE!

Seriously....its the Gish's gunblade. It counts as a melee attack in every way, shape, and form, except that it hits all designated targets in a 60' line from you. How good is that? You can PA with it, Arcane Strike with it, and it synergizes well with Duskblade's Quickcasting feature (cast 2 per round!) and most weapon enhancements (like Wounding!). I don't think you can channel spells with it, because of the way Duskblades channel spell works (so wonky), but you could take 4 levels of Spellsword to get their channeling which DOES work with Whirling Blade.

Seriously....I love this spell. It scales perfectly with level and gear, better than most x/CLspells. Its the most awesome utility damage spell against anything you can't or don't want to get upclose and personal with.

valadil
2008-03-26, 10:46 AM
I haven't actually played a duskblade yet, but bestow curse is a rude little touch attack. Also I'm fairly certain you can pick up a bunch of spells with a single bloodline feat.

Aquillion
2008-03-26, 12:04 PM
I haven't actually played a duskblade yet, but bestow curse is a rude little touch attack. Also I'm fairly certain you can pick up a bunch of spells with a single bloodline feat.Hmm. There were several threads about this a while back, but this is a bit different, so...

The bloodline feats are very good (though you'll only gain five out of the nine spells they offer because of your reduced progression). Note, though, that in order to get them you need the ability to summon a familiar, so you'll have to waste a feat on that, too.

Alternatively, the Mother Cyst feat will grant you five nasty spells directly to spells known (well, nine, but you won't be able to use the top four because your spellcasting doesn't go that high.) Of special note is the fact that Necrotic Cyst is a touch attack. (The other spells granted let you do nasty things to people who you've hit with it.)