PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Has anyone played a character that has two personalities and two forms?

anoblewolf
2015-04-27, 08:49 PM
I have an idea for a Tiefling fighter that is a war with his inner demon. During combat he has to roll a will save to keep from losing control to the demon within. Each round the DC increases by one as well as each time he takes damage the DC increases by one. If he loses control the demon takes over and he becomes a Tiefling Bloodrager. This would require two separate character Sheet with the same ability scores and the characters will level at the same time. The tiefling fighter would not have access to any of the Tiefling bloodragers abilities or feats or anything and vice versa. While the Tiefling bloodrager is in control he will be rolling will saves to maintain control.

Since only one of the Tiefling Personalities will be in play at a time do you think that this would be far? Would those of you that GM allow one of your player to play such a character.

Thank you for your time and advice.

illyahr
2015-04-27, 08:54 PM
I once played a character that had two souls. One was a cleric of Pelor and the other was a psion who worshipped Vecna. Pelor and Vecna had a wager on which of their following was more powerful. Each time one would have to make a Will save, they had to make a secondary one. If they failed the secondary save, they switched which personality was in control of the body (occasionally useful to deliberately fail a save to avoid the effects of a mind-effect).

jiriku
2015-04-27, 10:41 PM
I once played a brother and sister team that was effectively one mind inhabiting two bodies: a kalashtar thrallherd whose was permanently mindlinked to his kalashtar cohort. It is fun to link hands to share metamorphosis and shout "Wonder Twin powers, activate!" It did annoy the other players, though.

Your character idea is interesting and original and I'd at least consider allowing it in my games. My real concern would actually be that your character might be too weak, since you're attempting to use the same stats and gear to support two different builds, and you don't have reliable control over when you change.

Necromancy
2015-04-27, 11:11 PM
A friend played a Jekyll and Hyde style barbarian

Stone Heart
2015-04-27, 11:21 PM
I played an Alchemist (Pathfinder) who was Lawful Neutral who was focused on his mutagenic form. Eventually he took the Master Chymist prestige class and his personality in mutagenic form was Chaotic Good. The Alchemist didn't care about other people, was seeking immortality and personal glory, but he would transform into a monstrous being who cared for all around him, and eventually they would fight over decisions.

The Viscount
2015-04-28, 04:21 PM
I'm currently playing a Changeling with three personalities with a body that reflexively shifts each time a personality surfaces, but it doesn't affect much mechanically. The character's a binder, so I mostly try to think of what vestige the active personality would want when it comes time to select.

I can see no reason not to allow this, but the important question is what will change when the personalities shift. Will the bloodrager pursue different goals? Will alliances change during combat? If the answer to any question like this is yes, seriously consider whether you should. Have a discussion with your DM and the other players to make sure everybody is willing to work with this.