PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Reeeeeally new at this

torrasque666
2015-04-27, 11:13 PM
Ok, so over this upcoming summer I'm going to be running an Eberron campaign for some friends. I am wondering a few things:

What's a good level to start them (and myself) at?
Should I rely more on monsters or stated NPCs at first?
If I throw in modules, or use one to start, what are some quality ones to use?
I am really used to playing online and having access to various online tools/randomizers. Any advice for building my own random table?
Anything else you guys think a newish DM should know?

Theodred theOld
2015-04-28, 12:11 AM
Always have at least 3 more encounters than you think you'll need. Keep them in reserve for the times when the party veers off the beaten path. Keep a list of names handy as well. This is so important that it's in the first chapter of the DMG. The world feels so much more real when the shopkeep you just met knows his own name. Above all have fun. Remember that the rules are meant to be a guide, not a cage. Stay consistent in your rulings and most players will excuse a little rule bending as long as everyone is having fun. I would say start at level 1. It'll be easier to adjust to the power level of the party if you are involved in them gaining that power.

WeaselGuy
2015-04-28, 02:11 AM
I have a set of modules for Eberron on my laptop, I don't know if they are an actual adventure path or just a series of modules that can chain together nicely. Either way, when I head back to my room over lunch, I'll snag the titles and post them here.

BWR
2015-04-28, 02:37 AM
1. Start at 1st level. Even if you all are experienced players and don't like 1st level, it's a lot makes newbie GMing easier and introduces the world better.
2. doesn't really matter as long as the encounters are properly balanced against the party. If you're new to GMing, stick to classic things like orcs and goblins and skeletons and stuff.
3. dont know
4. Lots of books have random tables for things. The DMG has a lot for random encounters (probably deadly to 1st level characters) treasure, etc. There's no reason you can't play with a laptop or ipad with electronic tools. Mostly, though, prepare in advance. Random tables are useful for some grunt work and when you need something right then and there, but you generally get better results if you prep in advance.
5. Remember the 6Ps: Proper Planning Prevents Piss-poor Performance. Not, this doesn't mean plan everything to the extent that you plan how every encounter will go - players and PCs and dice screw things up, but think through what you want to do, how and why it would work that way in the context of the setting, and how NPCs/enemies will react when something else happens. Also, as a GM you will screw up. Roll with it. Sometimes you have to retcon some stuff because you were terribly unfair, sometimes you have to let it slide (make sure to compensate the PCs in some way) sometimes you will have to rein in players, sometimes you will have to nudge them to get things done.
Also, KISS. If you're new, don't necessarily try to make long and involved or complicated adventures right off the bat. There's nothing wrong with clichéed simple plots, just try to make them fun and engaging.

Incorrect
2015-04-28, 02:56 AM
1. Level one, or two at most. This is for your sake.
2. Simple monsters straigt from the books (srd) are less work for you, and most npcs won't need stats to give out quests.
3. Use a module to start, then consider making your own adventure later. Again, to make it simpler for yourself.
A collection of premade adventures (some links might be dead, google)
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?95929-Premade-adventures-(3-5)
I like "Night of the Straw Men" as an intro adventure for new players, but I don't know if it applies to your group.
http://dnd.rushland.eu/Telecharge/ScenarioA/DD35-1-Night_of_the_straw_men.pdf

4. I don't like random tables, or random encounters.

5. Don't be afraid to call for a 5 minut break.

Edit: Quoted for truth

Also, KISS. If you're new, don't necessarily try to make long and involved or complicated adventures right off the bat. There's nothing wrong with clichéed simple plots, just try to make them fun and engaging.

Darrin
2015-04-28, 10:56 AM
1. What's a good level to start them (and myself) at?

1st is traditional. The problem with 1st level characters is they have the survivability of wet tissue paper. So your first adventure should be low-stakes, modest scope, and focused on the basics: different action types, skill checks, learning your class features, and so forth. Focus on social encounters, and make sure the combat isn't an all-out/to-the-death slugfest.

2nd level characters are a little more durable if you're worried about survivability. 3rd level might be good for experienced players that want a "running start" and have no interest grinding their way out of the kid-glove stuff.

2. Should I rely more on monsters or stated NPCs at first?

Start with the monsters in the books. Statting out NPCs is a much larger topic, and depends quite a bit on the scope of the game, the theme (political intrigue, sandbox, BBEG smackdown, etc.), and the playing style preferred by you and the players. For beginners, I'd stick with the typical "Kick Down the Door" dungeon crawls, so at best you'll need about 3 NPCs: the local cleric that can remove diseases/curses/poisons that the party can't cure themselves, an armorer/weaponsmith for equipment upgrades, and a local lord to hand out Quest Tokens/Plot Coupons.

3. If I throw in modules, or use one to start, what are some quality ones to use?

Some 1st-level adventures from the WotC archives:
A Dark and Stormy Knight (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20050329a) - Short, straightforward, good for newbies.
Wreck Ashore (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20040430a) - Short and a bit underdeveloped, but a good starting point for adding your own details and flavor.
Burning Plague (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20000801a) - A little bit meatier "campaign starter".

Note: I'm not sure if the download links still work. You may need to google around a bit for the PDFs.

4. I am really used to playing online and having access to various online tools/randomizers. Any advice for building my own random table?

This depends quite a bit on what you want randomized. But in a tabletop setting, I would be wary of online tools causing too many distractions. The random stuff is best handled while prepping the adventure. Once you've got players bellied up to the table, your priority should be keeping the game moving. An off-the-top-of-your-head detail is going to be quicker than opening up a browser window, finding the URL, etc.

5. Anything else you guys think a newish DM should know?

Write down five things you want to happen during the session. You will forget at least two of them. Of the remaining three, the players will ruin, ignore, or completely misunderstand about 1d3 of them.

The books are your enemy. Resist the urge to look things up. It halts the flow of the game. You're better off making a "gut feeling" ruling right there as it happens and moving on. After the game is over, you can look up what the rules actually say and then let the players know next session how you want to handle similar situations moving forward. When in doubt, call for a check and apply a +2/-2 modifier as you see fit. If you are completely in the dark, roll a die behind the screen with a 50/50 "It Happens/Doesn't Happen" chance.

The players are your most valuable resource. You can ask them to play NPCs, take control of certain monsters, give a personality to a shopkeeper, populate a small village, flesh out background details for the other players, fill in a blank space on the map, suggest some interesting encounters, and so forth.

When things blow up on you, be a good loser and let the players win. Even if they one-shot your BBEG or snag a treasure trove without "earning it", the worst that can happen is the players get more powerful, but that was going to happen anyway. Give them their moment to gloat, and then use their new gadgets/kewl powerz to create new problems for them to solve.

Do not place any object, NPC, location, or organization in the game before answering the question, "What happens if the players kill/destroy this thing?" Because no matter how absurd you might think it would be for them to do so, they will try, and often succeed.

Don't be afraid to occasionally step OOC ("out of character") and point-blank tell your players what's going on with the metagame: "Uh, guys... I didn't have time to prepare this town... maybe you can take the left-hand fork in the road and you can explore this way next session?" or "You can stop interrogating the goblin. He's told you absolutely everything he knows about the sorceress" or "This is the DM speaking. I'm placing a very large flashing neon sign above this NPC that says 'Do not attack under any circumstances'. Do we understand each other?"

Overall, KEEP THINGS MOVING. Ideally, you want to skip over the boring parts and get to the exciting stuff. Shopping for a new saddle, haggling with the innkeeper for a larger room, figuring out how many small-sized spears fit in your backpack... some people might find these very interesting or a good place to do some roleplaying, but most people would rather watch paint dry. Odds are good that your players are not sitting at the table so they can argue about how many iron rations they need to mark off their sheets when they go through a "forest hills, temperate" hex. Use the "DO NOT ROLL" rule, which consists of two questions: "Does anything interesting happen if they succeed? Does anything interesting happen if they fail?" If the answer to both questions is "No", do not roll, handwave it as an automatic success and move on.

Example: Players want to go to Shiny Pebble Castle and ask King Fancypants for special permission to enter the Forbidden Forest. Journey takes three days, and there are random encounter tables, weather tables, and they may need mounts and special equipment and provisions and so forth. You don't have any outdoor encounters prepped, the three hexes on the map contain nothing interesting other than a well-traveled road, and the only really interesting things that are going to happen are when the PCs meet with the King ("I will give you a special warrant, but first I need a favor...") or when they get into the Forbidden Forest. The next sentence out of your mouth should be, "The journey to Shiny Pebble Castle is uneventful."

torrasque666
2015-04-28, 01:34 PM
I appreciate the help guys. On the topic of Modules, I was hoping for some more Eberron specific ones (Just love that setting, and why bother to make my own if its just gonna end up the same way?) All I really know is The Forgotten Forge, but I think there was somebody who was trying to make a Rise of the Runelords style campaign using eberron modules.

WeaselGuy
2015-04-28, 02:10 PM
edit: These are the Eberron specific modules that I used for my steampunk themed Eberron campaign.

Queen with Burning Eyes - Levels 1 through 5. Level 1 characters should reach level 3 by the end of it. Designed to follow up "The Forgotten Forge" adventure included in the Eberron Campaign Setting.
Shadows of the Last War - Designed for 4 level 2 characters, also a follow on from "The Forgotten Forge". Part 1 of a 3 part series.
Whispers of the Vampire's Blade - Designed for level 4 characters, sequel to "Shadows of the Last War". Part 2 of a 3 part series.
Grasp of the Emerald Claw - Designed for 6th level characters, sequel to "Whispers of the Vampire's Blade", conclusion to "The Forgotten Forge" storyline. Part 3 of a 3 part series.
Eyes of the Lich Queen - Designed for level 5 characters. Stand-alone module.
Voyage of the Golden Dragon - 7th level adventure. Takes place on Khorvaire's largest airship. Stand-alone module. 4 continuous adventures in one, designed to be ran concurrently.

When I was running an Eberron campaign, my intent was for the characters to end up searching Xen'drik for lost items in a mid-level steampunk themed campaign. I wanted them to have their own airship, and use it kind of like you do in Final Fantasy IX. I found VotGD to be very useful in setting up airship adventures, but part of the hook for the beginning involves the characters being somewhat well known, since it starts at a gala for this airship's commissioning.

So, I started everyone off with the Forgotten Forge, with the intent of segueing into EotLQ, and then, having obtained mostly nationwide notoriety, going into VotGD. At the end of that module, they should be around level 10ish, and at a good point to be commissioned themselves, and loaned their own airship, in order to go relic hunting.

mashlagoo1982
2015-04-28, 04:29 PM
Use the "DO NOT ROLL" rule, which consists of two questions: "Does anything interesting happen if they succeed? Does anything interesting happen if they fail?" If the answer to both questions is "No", do not roll, handwave it as an automatic success and move on.

While this is a very useful rule, do be careful with it. Your players may begin to pick up on the rule and use it to metagame to their advantage.

"The DM didn't make us roll? Must not be worth our time."

Granted, this depends on your group. When I pointed this out to my players, they stopped the behavior because they realized they were acting very out of character.

justiceforall
2015-04-28, 08:37 PM
Be a little careful with "do not roll". Whilst *I* think its a great idea to just skip rolling dice wherever possible, I've had players violently rebel at this. Some players just really want to roll dice and get quite mad if you don't let them!

Brendanicus
2015-04-28, 10:16 PM
On the topic of keeping things moving, don't be afraid to simply end combat early if the conclusion is forgone. For example, if the players want to kill the last orc bandit after slaughtering her comrades with ease, simply say, "You kill the orc". Don't even roll. Now, obviously don't do this if yo have a lot of time left in the session, or if something important happens near the end of combat.

I'm currently DM-ing my first campaign, and I love using my module. It's not Eberron-compatible, but I love having material to fall back on. It give me time to fine-tune encounters and flesh out the plot. You can obviously do the same.

Stuvius
2015-04-29, 09:58 AM
Congrats on joining the fun world of Dming!:smallsmile:One very important lesson I learned when running my first campaign was, do not utilize single enemies in encounters. If they are powerful enough to handle an entire party you have created a TPK possibility. If they are not, often all it takes is for your players to win initiative and then tee off on your baddie before he/she/it can get a shot off. My players steamrolled me on several encounters before I caught on to this one.:smallbiggrin: