PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Getting an Animal Companion up to 2 or more skill points per HD.

Elric VIII
2015-04-28, 02:35 AM
Is there a way to do this?

If I give it an increase in int at levels 4/8 that would give it a -3 int modifier instead of a -4, but animals only get 2+Int skills. Would this increase have no effect (beyond the effects of having at least 3 int)?

Would a headband of vast intelligence +2 (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/headband-of-vast-intelligence) give it ranks in a skill since the item simply says that it grants skill ranks and has no mention of a modifier?

Der_DWSage
2015-04-28, 02:58 AM
...It took me a moment to realize you meant 'Animal Companion' and weren't just asking for advice on how to get a really high armor class.

Anyway, the only real way to do it would be to get Headbands of Intelligence, (Which give skill ranks in a single skill, chosen at the time the headband is created) a specific 3rd party feat from Dreamscarred Press called Open Minded that grants +1 Skill Point per HD, or some moderate amount of silly cheese. (The one I'm thinking of is Extra Traits -> Adopted (By Half-Elves) -> Take Human Spirit (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/human-spirit-half-elf) ) There may be some other 3rd party stuff for it, but I'm assuming you want to stick as close to the regular rules as possible.

Elric VIII
2015-04-28, 03:05 AM
Edited the title to be more clear. :smallredface:

That's unfortunate. I was really hoping there would be a specific feat that grants only an AC extra skills.

MyrPsychologist
2015-04-28, 03:13 AM
Cast awaken on it?

SinsI
2015-04-28, 04:09 AM
Arcane Hierophant class from Races of the Wild turns your Animal Companion into Companion Familiar (It is a 10/10 theurge type class).
Companion Familiars get Intelligence of a normal Familiar based on the sum of your levels of arcane spellcasting class and AH levels.

If you want, you can add Major Bloodline (from Unearth Arcana) shenanigans to boost class levels even further:
11-th level Druid 4/Wizard 3/Arcane Hierophant 4 that has paid for all 3 bloodline levels will have Animal Companion of level 14 Druid (since both Druid and AH get +3 class level increase) with an Intelligence 12 of a 13 level Wizard Familiar (same combo).

Sayt
2015-04-28, 04:58 AM
Cast awaken on it?

Pathfinder: Awakening invalidates it being an animal companion.

Arcane Hierophant class from Races of the Wild turns your Animal Companion into Companion Familiar (It is a 10/10 theurge type class).
Companion Familiars get Intelligence of a normal Familiar based on the sum of your levels of arcane spellcasting class and AH levels.

If you want, you can add Major Bloodline (from Unearth Arcana) shenanigans to boost class levels even further:
11-th level Druid 4/Wizard 3/Arcane Hierophant 4 that has paid for all 3 bloodline levels will have Animal Companion of level 14 Druid (since both Druid and AH get +3 class level increase) with an Intelligence 12 of a 13 level Wizard Familiar (same combo).

Agaain, Pathfinder tag.

If third party is allowed, give it a third point of int for free freat choice, take Open minded for extra skill rank per level.

Human favoured class bonus for a lot of AC classes is an extra rank per level.