PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lillends

Twisted.Fate
2007-04-17, 12:19 AM
I'm going to be playing in an Epic (30th level :smallbiggrin:) game soon, so I'm building my character now. I'm playing a Lillend of Legend (template from MM2, with alterations, and a LA of +5 rather than the book's suggested +2) with bard and Seeker of the Song levels.

(I'm well aware that I should be playing a full caster with no LA, blah blah blah, but I don't care at all :smallsmile:)

Lillends can constrict enemies with a successful grapple check (after hitting with tail slap and beginning a grapple with their Improved Grab ability). The description states that they cannot take any move actions when constricting, as "constricting uses the entire lower portion of [the lillend's] body". But lillends have wings and a fly speed.

My question is, can a lillend constrict and fly in the same round, since flying uses wings, and not the "lower portion of the body"? Additionally, if a lillend chooses not to make the constrict, but keep grappling, can it still move as normal?

Vyker
2007-04-17, 12:24 AM
You should be playing a full caster with no LA. *wink*

Seriously, though, I dunno. Talk to your DM about it. Maybe house-rule in something about being able to fly if the target is X-sizes smaller than you. I mean, I imagine it might be hard to fly if there's something big and heavy thrashing about in your nether regions, but if you're constricting something relatively smallish... well, maybe that's not so bad.

The rule certainly sounds like wings might circumvent the whole "lower body" vibe. Can you constrict and do other move-equivalent actions? 'cause that might trip you up even if you can fly.

Jasdoif
2007-04-17, 12:28 AM
My question is, can a lillend constrict and fly in the same round, since flying uses wings, and not the "lower portion of the body"?No. Flying requires a move action.

Additionally, if a lillend chooses not to make the constrict, but keep grappling, can it still move as normal?Subject to the normal rules of moving while grappling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#move) or dragging an opponent while using improved grab (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#improvedGrab), sure.

Starsinger
2007-04-17, 01:47 AM
Logically, it sounds fine. I have my tail wrapped around something, so I can still flap my wings. It sounds like the rules have trumped logic, though. If I were your DM I'd allow it as long as you can lift the creature... maybe impose a penalty since you're only carrying it with half your body.