PDA

View Full Version : Taint of evil and prestige class help 3.5

Santrix
2015-04-28, 01:00 PM
I am playing as a level 9 Corpsecrafted Spellstitched Dread Necropolitan in a campaign of the DM's own design but i'm fairly new to the game and i still don't know a whole lot about how some of the stuff works. So i have two questions:
1. How exactly does taint work on undead? I know they don't get any negative effects of taint, but can they gain more? It only states that they get 1/2 the Charisma Score (I assume its really the score, and not the modifier).
2. What is a good prestige class to get after the Dread Necromancer? I have looked into a lot of stuff and the only one that has piqued my interest is the Tained Scolar, hence question 1. but other interesting alternative suggestions would be very appreciated.

Segev
2015-04-28, 01:02 PM
By the RAW, they can gain as much as they are able. Just nothing bad ever happens to them because of it.

If you want to snap the game in two, the Tainted Scholar PrC is an excellent choice for you. It substitutes its taint scores for the normal ability scores which determine how high a spell level you can cast and what the spell DCs are. Every time you use a certain class feature, you gain more taint. As an undead, there's effectively no cap to how high your taint can go without harming you.

Arbitrarily high save DCs and spell slots granted for high ability score are yours for the taking!

Know(Nothing)
2015-04-28, 01:12 PM
Since you're already getting away with murder as far as DM leniency goes, might as well get some black sand and put it in your boots for some infinite fast healing. Hell, get yourself to a plane of super-fast time movement and tons of negative energy and you can give yourself a few Evolved Undead templates while you're at it.

Lord Loss
2015-04-28, 01:15 PM
Not related to taint, as that question seems to have been answered, but if you'd like other directions to take your Dread Necromancer in, this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5584) is a good place to look. There are other Necromancer and Dread Necromancer handbooks around, but I've found this one to be amongst the most comprehensive available.

EDIT: This handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?214212-Reanimated-Dread-Necromancer-Handbook) also looks pretty useful, and is tailored specifically to Dread Necromancers. I've been leafing through it, and it seems quite expansive, well-written and helpful.

Santrix
2015-04-29, 03:59 PM
By the RAW, they can gain as much as they are able. Just nothing bad ever happens to them because of it.

If you want to snap the game in two, the Tainted Scholar PrC is an excellent choice for you. It substitutes its taint scores for the normal ability scores which determine how high a spell level you can cast and what the spell DCs are. Every time you use a certain class feature, you gain more taint. As an undead, there's effectively no cap to how high your taint can go without harming you.

Arbitrarily high save DCs and spell slots granted for high ability score are yours for the taking!
Well, i talked to my DM about it and he said that undead cannot gain anymore taint because the text explicitly says: "They automatically have effective corruption and depravity scores equal to one-half their Charisma score.." so with my charisma score of 26 as it is now, i would have a worse spell DC if i have tainted spellcasting from the Tainted Scholar, but we will still talk about it.

Since you're already getting away with murder as far as DM leniency goes, might as well get some black sand and put it in your boots for some infinite fast healing. Hell, get yourself to a plane of super-fast time movement and tons of negative energy and you can give yourself a few Evolved Undead templates while you're at it.
Hahahaha, awesome dude! Thanks for the suggestions :smallsmile: I'll definitely get some on a wand or something and my DM said i can get the templates at a latter level :smallbiggrin:

Not related to taint, as that question seems to have been answered, but if you'd like other directions to take your Dread Necromancer in, this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5584) is a good place to look. There are other Necromancer and Dread Necromancer handbooks around, but I've found this one to be amongst the most comprehensive available.

EDIT: This handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?214212-Reanimated-Dread-Necromancer-Handbook) also looks pretty useful, and is tailored specifically to Dread Necromancers. I've been leafing through it, and it seems quite expansive, well-written and helpful.
Thanks man, i read through it all and it explained a lot of stuff that was unclear before, i appreciate the help :smallwink: