PDA

View Full Version : Question from a newb

kjbro
2007-04-17, 02:19 AM
so I'm still kinda newb on some rules, specifically things involving stacking bonses, so I guess my question is...if one took Dragonfire Adept and Warlock, and they had identical invocations, could you take the invocation on both and stack them? Specifically Beguiling Influence is available to both classes, and it's an unnamed bonus (don't those usually stack?). I was wondering if warlock 1 + df adept 1 = broken diplomancer?

Dhavaer
2007-04-17, 02:22 AM
Unnamed bonuses do stack, but if both invocations have the same name and effect, they probably count as 'same source".

Kultrum
2007-04-17, 07:18 AM
no you can't gain multiple, identical, bonuses from the same spell (or invocation)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-17, 08:05 AM
Right. They haven't bothered putting class/level information in the invocation descriptions, but the situation is still the same as trying to cast, say, enlarge person as both a wizard spell and a cleric spell for some combined effect. It just doesn't work.

Aside: My biggest beef with the invocation system is the short-sighted naming convention. "Dark Invocation" as the highest level of invocation is just fine for Warlocks, but it seems a bit off in the flavor department for Dragonfire Adepts. Likewise, there are a few invocations that appear on both the Dragonfire Adept and Warlock class lists with names that are better suited for just the Warlock list.

Of course, this also plays into why invocation entries lack a Class/Level line. Someone said, "Hey, let's create this system of spell-like abilities. We'll call them 'invocations' and give them to this one class. And since it will be only for this one class when we release it, we'll name everything to fit the flavor of this class. Because, y'know, there's no chance someone will use this system for another, very different class."

Person_Man
2007-04-17, 09:04 AM
Also, you should know that there is absolutely no reason to multi class between Dragonfire Adept and Warlock. You can't use Eldritch Blast and your breath weapon at the same time, and the best Invocations require you to be high level in one class or the other to gain access to them.

Furthermore, the Adepts Invocations Endure Exposure Invocationlets you make your friends immune to your breath weapon. So there is no circumstance I can think of where Eldritch Blast would be needed instead of an area of effect breath weapon.

My advice is to be a strait Dragonfire Adept. Also, take a look at the Draconomicon and Races of the Dragon for some good feats for the Adept.

Counterspin
2007-04-17, 11:36 PM
It has been pointed out to me that Dragon Shamans are vastly improved with Entangling Exhalation from, draconomicon I think?

Person_Man
2007-04-18, 09:56 AM
It has been pointed out to me that Dragon Shamans are vastly improved with Entangling Exhalation from, draconomicon I think?

Correct. However, a Dragonfire Adept is superior to a Dragon Shaman, in that their breath weapon deals more damage, can be used every round, and can get much more powerful breath effects.