PDA

View Full Version : Help with the zerg swarm.

Nerdguy88
2015-04-28, 04:10 PM
I am planning a campaign that will involve a lot of things. A big thing that will be happening is the zerg(or at least some forerunners) will be showing up.

I am not looking for zerg stats so much as I am looking for good templates that can be applied. Things like taking the dog and adding the insectile template. This is a general idea for the zergling. Obviously I will be adding small modifications like giving claw attacks and such. Or the overmind being a Elder brain with Phrenic Creature applied to it.

Anyone have any good "zerg like" templates that might be good? Even if you only think they would be good for one thing.

DeltaEmil
2015-04-28, 04:21 PM
Miniature's Handbook has the kruthiks, a bunch of monsters that are zergish. They start as zergling-things, become hydraliskk-like, and then become miniature ultralisk-thingies.

Book of Vile Darkness has the kythons (not to be confused with kytons, aka, chain devils), who are more xenomorphish-tyranidish.

DrMotives
2015-04-28, 10:36 PM
You already mentioned insectile, I can see adding reptilian first then insectile to make them look extra freaky. The Forgotten Realms Underdark book has the arachnoid creature template, and if you want a bigger beastie, you can use the kaiju template from Dragon issue #289.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-28, 11:04 PM
Kythons in Book of Vile Darkness are pretty much what you're looking for, though they may be a bit too powerful, especially given their customizable weaponry.

kardar233
2015-04-29, 03:23 AM
I think Complete Arcane's Pseudonatural template might be good for that.

Ruethgar
2015-04-29, 11:27 AM
It will also be important as to how you play them. If they have the psy connection, as the majority in Starcraft do, they will play very differently from the primal zerg. A hive mind will use more advanced tactics. If you can find the 3.0 Slaad mutation table, primal zerg could use that to evolve after kills at least to an extent. For their ships, colossal Life-Shaped(from Dark Sun) creatures would be the easiest as you can customize what they look like. Would need to fiat some of the abilities in though unless you are using a space travel supplement that you could adapt to it.

molten_dragon
2015-04-29, 06:20 PM
I think Complete Arcane's Pseudonatural template might be good for that.

Pseudonatural has less of a 'zerg' feel and more of a 'minions of Cthulhu' feel. At least to me.

HunterOfJello
2015-04-29, 07:08 PM
Mineral Warrior

Here me out.
Relevant Changes:
+ Burrow speed
- flight (you can add exceptions)
+ natural armor
+ darkvision
+ damage reduction
+ strength
+ con
- int
- wis
- cha

Andion Isurand
2015-04-29, 10:44 PM
I recently did some stat drafting of the zerg, protoss and terran units... although I made many of what would have been vessels and vehicles into constructs.

You could take a look at some of what I made, or even offer some input if you think they would do better for it.

Many of them are feat heavy, a great deal for reasons that have to do with how the Starcraft games themselves worked.

Starcraft d20 Conversions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?402195-Starcraft-d20-Conversions)

When taking the template route, I'd suggest not using the phrenic template for the elder brain, and just use the psionic version of it that appears in Lords of Madness (pg 145).