PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Readied Actions and Initiative

DeviousCrypto
2015-04-28, 05:55 PM
This is my first post here, huzzah! Anyways, I have a question for you fine folk. I'm sure it has been asked and answered before, but my google-fu can't lead to me to pertinent answer or discussion on the topic.

If you are at the bottom of the initiative order, but the player decides to ready an action. Is that pointless? The Readied section states that it lasts "until the end of the round" which happens right then. I find it hard to believe that that is a punishment for low initiative via the RAW. Can someone better informed please elaborate for me?

coredump
2015-04-28, 06:04 PM
A round is just a 6 second period of time. (technically approximately 6 second period of time where everyone gets to act) So you have 6 seconds from when you ready the action for the trigger to occur. IOW, until your next turn.

This has been confirmed by Crawford.

DeviousCrypto
2015-04-28, 06:12 PM
A round is just a 6 second period of time. (technically approximately 6 second period of time where everyone gets to act) So you have 6 seconds from when you ready the action for the trigger to occur. IOW, until your next turn.

This has been confirmed by Crawford.

But does not a combat round start on the first in the order? So 6 seconds to get from them to them again? Meaning that if you are acting at the end of initiative then the 6 seconds are up after your turn and the round is over? And could I get a citation on Crawford's clarification? I'm hunting for solid stuff here. I'm looking to bury this nonsense without just saying "The DM rules in Tablelandia."

coredump
2015-04-28, 11:30 PM
Its just a measurement of time. Its like saying "doesn't a minute start on the '12'?" A round can be measured starting at any point in time. It lasts for about 6 seconds, and every combatant gets a turn.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/589442135042068480

-Jynx-
2015-04-29, 06:19 AM
I think this is how it would work (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that might be a bit more easy to understand.

Round 1
Person A goes
Person B goes
Person C readies his/her action

Round 2
(Person C can use their action now)
Person A goes
(Person C can use their action now If not before)
Person B goes
Person C lost their readied action if they didn't use it before and it is their turn again.

DeviousCrypto
2015-04-29, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I actually got a quick and concise answer from Mr. Crawford himself today! http://puu.sh/hvhBU/e9ab3b6a23.png