PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian Path (Path of the Reaver)

RATHSQUATCH
2015-04-28, 06:10 PM
Here's a little something I've been working on...the Reaver. How do you guys think this holds up?

PATH OF THE REAVER
Fear can be an exceptional tool for any warrior. The Path of the Reaver focus on untamed intimidation, as well as unbrideled emotion and rage.

AURA OF PAIN
Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, when you enter into a rage, you exude a 10-ft aura of pain. While your rage lasts, each unfriendly creature within the 10-ft aura takes 2 points of psychic damage at the beginning of your turn.

STRIKE WITH FEAR
Beginning at 6th level, whenever you hit an opponent with a critical hit while enraged, that opponent must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier) or be frightened of you for 1 minute. Should you kill the creature you strike, another creature within line of sight and with equal or less hit dice than the creature makes the save against fear instead.

RING OF FEAR
Beginning at 10th level, you scream in primal rage and cause others on the battlefield to doubt their abilities and run away. You gain the use of the Fear spell, but may only use it whenever you enter into a Rage. You ignore the somatic and material component requirements and instead just give out an ear-piercing scream. Charisma is your primary ability for the spell and your DC is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier.

DEVOURING STRIKE
Starting at 14th level, each kill gives you more confidence and restores vigor. Each time you kill an opponent in melee combat while enraged you gain 5 hit points. You cannot exceed your maximum hit point value with this feature.

Wartex1
2015-04-28, 06:21 PM
I actually did one based off of the DA:I Reaver a few weeks ago...

You have proficiency die instead of bonus, so you should edit that.

RATHSQUATCH
2015-04-28, 06:24 PM
Thanks. I use proficiency die instead of bonus for my games. Good catch.

fattybear
2015-04-29, 12:10 AM
For Aura of Pain, I'd state when a creature sustains psychic damage. Is it at the end of each of their turns, at the start, etc? Are allies affected?

ImSAMazing
2015-05-01, 03:05 AM
Here's a little something I've been working on...the Reaver. How do you guys think this holds up?

PATH OF THE REAVER
Fear can be an exceptional tool for any warrior. The Path of the Reaver focus on untamed intimidation, as well as unbrideled emotion and rage.

AURA OF PAIN
Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, when you enter into a rage, you exude a 10-ft aura of pain. While your rage lasts, each unfriendly creature within the 10-ft aura takes 2 points of psychic damage at the beginning of your turn.

STRIKE WITH FEAR
Beginning at 6th level, whenever you hit an opponent with a critical hit while enraged, that opponent must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier) or be frightened of you for 1 minute. Should you kill the creature you strike, another creature within line of sight and with equal or less hit dice than the creature makes the save against fear instead.

RING OF FEAR
Beginning at 10th level, you scream in primal rage and cause others on the battlefield to doubt their abilities and run away. You gain the use of the Fear spell, but may only use it whenever you enter into a Rage. You ignore the somatic and material component requirements and instead just give out an ear-piercing scream. Charisma is your primary ability for the spell and your DC is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier.

DEVOURING STRIKE
Starting at 14th level, each kill gives you more confidence and restores vigor. Each time you kill an opponent in melee combat while enraged you gain 5 hit points. You cannot exceed your maximum hit point value with this feature.

I think that Strike with Fear should use 8+prof bonus + intimidation modifier. You are intimidating am I right? Most barbarians wont have a charisma higher then 15, so at lvl 20 the dc shall be 8 + 6 + 2 = 16 !? Come on, it's a crit, you dont get that every turn...

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-06-15, 08:31 AM
Strike with fear is pretty cool but is sitting in what is normally a ribbon or at minimum a situational slot. All of the totems have ribbon abilities here and the berserker has conditional immunity. If you were to go along the same path I would honestly recommend granting a immunity to fear effects.

For the aura of pain I would recommend having it deal psychic damage to each creature equal to your rage damage, but they are granted a save at the beginning of their turn to avoid the damage.

ImSAMazing
2015-06-15, 10:03 AM

PATH OF THE REAVER

AURA OF PAIN

STRIKE WITH FEAR

RING OF FEAR

DEVOURING STRIKE

I like the Aura of Pain feature, maybe make it increase when you gain in levels?

Fyndhal
2015-06-15, 04:48 PM
I would make the following alterations:

First, I'd change the Aura to the level 10 ability and shift Strike with Fear to level 3 and Ring of Fear to 6th. I would also make the Aura into a true Aura similar to what is seen on the Balor. To wit: Deal Psychic Damage to mobs in the radius at the end of their turn and to any enemy which attacks you with a melee attack. You might also want to scale the damage based on Stat or level in order to keep it competitive as you level?

Lastly, Devouring Strike. In 5e there are few effects which heal in this manner. Usually, this type of effect is handled via Temporary Hit Points. As such, having each attack grant 5+ConMod Temp HP might be better (Temp HP don't stack, of course.)

ImSAMazing
2015-06-16, 12:31 AM
I would make the following alterations:

First, I'd change the Aura to the level 10 ability and shift Strike with Fear to level 3 and Ring of Fear to 6th. I would also make the Aura into a true Aura similar to what is seen on the Balor. To wit: Deal Psychic Damage to mobs in the radius at the end of their turn and to any enemy which attacks you with a melee attack. You might also want to scale the damage based on Stat or level in order to keep it competitive as you level?

Lastly, Devouring Strike. In 5e there are few effects which heal in this manner. Usually, this type of effect is handled via Temporary Hit Points. As such, having each attack grant 5+ConMod Temp HP might be better (Temp HP don't stack, of course.)

You're right about Devouring Strike.