PDA

View Full Version : Rogue thief, interesting uses for use an object.

PhantomRenegade
2015-04-28, 06:10 PM
I'm playing with a Rogue thief and i've been trying to come up with ways to use Fast hands' use an object feature.

So far i've used it to throw caltrops and ball bearings, and i made my rogue carry around a pouch of sand to throw at the enemies face to try to blind them (i use salt now, my character is evil).

But i've kind of hit a wall and can't really think of anything new to do, does anybody have any ideas?

Edit: Apologies to the generous people who posted before this edit, its my first thread so i wasn't specific enougn.

I'm trying to think of things that aren't in the RaW already, stuff like throwing salt etc.

SharkForce
2015-04-28, 06:32 PM
if you can get a source of it that won't break the bank, applying poison to your weapon is nice.

ChubbyRain
2015-04-28, 06:52 PM
I'm playing with a Rogue thief and i've been trying to come up with ways to use Fast hands' use an object feature.

So far i've used it to throw caltrops and ball bearings, and i made my rogue carry around a pouch of sand to throw at the enemies face to try to blind them (i use salt now, my character is evil).

But i've kind of hit a wall and can't really think of anything new to do, does anybody have any ideas?

Healer's kit combos well with "Use and object" action quite nicely.

Plus your party won't expect the dude that throws salt in people's eyes to also be the one to heal them every so often.

grub
2015-04-28, 10:11 PM
My DM gave me a Grey Bag of Tricks, I use my bonus action to throw a random animal into the mix.

Giant2005
2015-04-28, 10:18 PM
I'm away from the book right now but I don't think there are any rules anywhere that state you have to have possession of the object for your "Use an object" action. Rather than use your stuff to interact with enemies, start using their stuff - undoing their belt buckles is an obvious one.

MeeposFire
2015-04-29, 12:36 AM
Healer's kit combos well with "Use and object" action quite nicely.

Plus your party won't expect the dude that throws salt in people's eyes to also be the one to heal them every so often.

I really wish that healing kit feat was just standard for the kit. This is one of the cooler tricks for this ability left after they removed magic items from being used (do note I believe this technically does not work with a bag of tricks due to the rule they slid into the DMG to prevent the use of magic items of which I am not a fan).

Giant2005
2015-04-29, 12:39 AM
I really wish that healing kit feat was just standard for the kit. This is one of the cooler tricks for this ability left after they removed magic items from being used (do note I believe this technically does not work with a bag of tricks due to the rule they slid into the DMG to prevent the use of magic items of which I am not a fan).

I think they screwed up the Healer's Kits pretty bad.
The once per short rest heal (Although I think it should be ocne per long rest) should have been the default ability and stabilizing a dying creature should have been the ability worthy of a feat. It should take a hell of a lot more training (feat) to stabilize some comatose patient that is bleeding out than it does to bandage someone up.

ChubbyRain
2015-04-29, 06:45 AM
The once per short rest heal (Although I think it should be ocne per long rest) should have been the default ability and stabilizing a dying creature should have been the ability worthy of a feat. It should take a hell of a lot more training (feat) to stabilize some comatose patient that is bleeding out than it does to bandage someone up.

Yeah... that would be a worthless feat that no one would take.

Seriously I don't know a single person that would take a feat that gave you the ability to stabilize a dying creature as an action with the healer's kit. That's some pretty niche build right there that didn't just pick up magic initiate (spare the dying) (cantrip) (1st level healing spell) OR skilled (medicine) (other skill) (other skill).

Giant2005
2015-04-29, 07:01 AM
Yeah... that would be a worthless feat that no one would take.

Seriously I don't know a single person that would take a feat that gave you the ability to stabilize a dying creature as an action with the healer's kit. That's some pretty niche build right there that didn't just pick up magic initiate (spare the dying) (cantrip) (1st level healing spell) OR skilled (medicine) (other skill) (other skill).

Yeah it would need more going for it than just being a crappier Spare the Dying but it does make more sense.

ChubbyRain
2015-04-29, 07:44 AM
Yeah it would need more going for it than just being a crappier Spare the Dying but it does make more sense.

No it doesn't.

You are adding real world rules into a fantasy game where real world rules are not needed. People are just taught one thing but not the other. Making a free throw in basketball should be easier than making a 2 point shot while defended but for years many people can't make the free throw but can consitently make the defended 2 point shot.

I happen to think both should be part of the base use of the kit, and just get rid of the feat all together, but only because of simplicity and usefulness surrounding a healing item shouldn't be tied to a feat. It would be like if a potion of healing took a feat to use to full effect.

Person_Man
2015-04-29, 07:52 AM
Potions, caltrops, applying poison, hunter’s trap, oil, holy water, ball bearings, healer’s kit, rope and grappling hook, are all useful options.

Remember that you can Use an Object for an ally, and not just yourself. So you can give an ally a potion, use a healer's kit on them, apply poison on their weapon, etc.

Also remember that you can activate a trap. So if you disarm one and then lure an enemy nearby, you might be able to use it against them.

You should also just ask your DM if you can start building a utility belt of fun/interesting objects to use, that aren't currently RAW but would be reasonable additions. Smoke pellets, gas pellets, portable traps, etc.

hymer
2015-04-29, 07:57 AM
Chandeliers are objects too, and while swinging from them may not be their intended use, I'd want to try to Use An Object like that. :smallbiggrin:

Maxilian
2015-04-29, 08:50 AM
if you can get a source of it that won't break the bank, applying poison to your weapon is nice.

I normally go with these, i use these with a crossbow (before i fire i put poison in a couple of bolts)

PhantomRenegade
2015-04-29, 01:32 PM
I should have been more clear in the opening post that i was looking for stuff that isn't in RAW.

My bad guys, sorry, although some good did come out of it, i was thinking of getting the healer feat but i hadn't noticed the once per short rest restriction, that's given me something to think over.

I also hadn't thought of the aplying poison thing but i'd have to get a better poison than the basic one for it to be worth it.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-29, 01:37 PM
Chandeliers are objects too, and while swinging from them may not be their intended use, I'd want to try to Use An Object like that. :smallbiggrin:

Assuming that's not just part of your movement for the round =).

Vogonjeltz
2015-04-29, 04:03 PM
I'm away from the book right now but I don't think there are any rules anywhere that state you have to have possession of the object for your "Use an object" action. Rather than use your stuff to interact with enemies, start using their stuff - undoing their belt buckles is an obvious one.

Sounds like a contest, requiring an action, there's also text to this effect that the DM may require an action if the activity might require extra effort. I'd say any time you try to do something that someone else would reactively want to stop (i.e. removing their gear) it would require a contest...probably a disarm contest from the DMG.

Mr.Moron
2015-04-29, 04:10 PM
Lighting Fuses or setting off flares, if the setting is using some kind of explosive technology.
Locking a door seems an obvious use if you're being chased.

MeeposFire
2015-04-29, 09:51 PM

If you wanted to add a training aspect to this make medicine the skill part of the ability. Oddly the feat needs no prof in the skill to work despite thinking it should. Honestly I think that is the level of investment that should be required to use this ability unless you add some more to it to make it a feat.

PhantomRenegade
2015-05-01, 07:53 AM
Sounds like a contest, requiring an action, there's also text to this effect that the DM may require an action if the activity might require extra effort. I'd say any time you try to do something that someone else would reactively want to stop (i.e. removing their gear) it would require a contest...probably a disarm contest from the DMG.It might not require an action if the DM allowed you to use a dexterity check or a slight of hand check for that contest, since those are also covered under Fast Hands.

ChubbyRain
2015-05-01, 04:29 PM
It might not require an action if the DM allowed you to use a dexterity check or a slight of hand check for that contest, since those are also covered under Fast Hands.

Definitely, I would love to see a rogue use this to activate a alchemist fire on the person.

Kinda like from Uncharted 3, you can grab the pin of a grenade that an enemy has on their belt, kick them away, and watch them go boom.