PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Master of Masks (PEACH)

Scarce
2015-04-28, 07:58 PM
In an effort to bring much of the goodness from 3.5 over to Next, a friend and I have been writing and trading class archetype conversions of prestige classes. I'd love to hear some feedback from the folks here at GiantITP (Also, how many consecutive posts is considered spamming? We have quite a few...). First, my favorite, the Master of Masks, a Bard College.

College of the Masters of Masks

The College of Masks (or Masters of Masks, as they have come to be called) are virtuoso performers who practice becoming the figure they portray, rather than merely imitating them. Bards who practice in this college come to believe that all life is performed, rather than lived, and that to become an actor in this Great Play requires that one merely put on the metaphorical mask of another. Because each person wears a mask every day, a Master of Masks carries with him a number of masks, each a potent magical artifact of a specific archetypical character or creature to allow them to better enter those roles.

Bonus Proficiencies
When you join the College of the Masters of Masks at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in Deception and Performance.

Persona Masks
Also at 3rd level, you learn to craft potent magical masks, each of which allows you to take on a different persona and gain some aspect of that archetypical character.

At third level, you gain the ability to create two masks of your choice. Creating a mask requires 8 hours of work and 100 gp. You may only use masks created by yourself. No one else (even another Master of Masks) can benefit from a persona mask you create. You may switch masks as a bonus action.

Hidden Mask
At 6th level, you can craft 1 additional mask of your choice. You wear a mask, even when others cannot see it. You may make a mask you wear become invisible, or return an invisible mask to visibility, as a bonus action.

Master of Many Masks
At 14th level, you can craft 1 additional mask of your choice. You have become a master of assuming the archetypes contained within the masks, and may wear two masks simultaneously, gaining the benefits of each. For each alignment axis (good/evil or lawful/chaotic) your alignment appears neutral if your masks disagree for how your alignment appears.

Persona Masks

Angel. The image of an androgynous face with eyes serenely upturned to the heavens forms this mask, carved from flawless alabaster. When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon’s damage. The extra damage is 1d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 4d8. Beginning at 6th level, you may expend a Bardic Inspiration die as an action to heal a creature you touch by the amount rolled plus your Charisma modifier. Your alignment appears to be lawful neutral while you are wearing an Angel mask.

Archmage. This mask of deep purple fluorite is sculpted in the image of a heavily wrinkled old man. While wearing the mask of the Archmage, you have the spells burning hands, expeditious retreat, grease, and magic missile prepared in addition to the spells you have prepared. Beginning at 6th level, add scorching ray and gust of wind to your spell prepared. In addition at 6th level, you can expend a Bardic Inspiration die as a bonus action to increase the save DC of a spell cast by you by the amount rolled. You must finish a long rest before using this ability again. Your alignment appears to be chaotic good while you wear the Archmage mask.

Assassin. Hardened black leather and metal clasps create the disturbing aspect of the assassin. While wearing this mask, you gain the Rogue Sneak Attack class feature with damage as a rogue of half your level. Beginning at 6th level, when you make a melee attack against a creature who hasn't taken a turn in combat yet, you can expend a Bardic Inspiration die as a bonus action to increase damage your damage against that creature by the amount rolled. Your alignment appears to be lawful evil while you wear an Assassin mask.

Beast. Bright, flaking warpaint streaks this battered wooden image of a snarling, fang-toothed wild man. While wearing this mask, you gain the Barbarian Reckless Attack class feature. In addition, beginning at 6th level, when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can expend a Bardic Inspiration as a bonus action increase your damage by the amount rolled. Your alignment appears to be true neutral while wearing a Beast mask.

Demon. This obsidian mask bears the visage of a darkly handsome fiend. Small, black horns adorn the demon's forehead, and its black ears rise to points. You have resistance to fire and cold damage while you are wearing this mask. At 6th level, you can glare at a single target when they make an attack against you and expend a Bardic Inspiration die as a bonus action to reduce their attack roll by the amount rolled. Your alignment appears to be chaotic evil while wearing a Demon mask.

Dragon. This multihued mask of precious metals and scintillating gemstones forms the terrible visage of a snarling wyrm. While you wear this mask, you can use your action to exhale destructive energy. Each creature in a 15-foot cone must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 3d6 damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. You must take a short or long rest before using this ability again. Beginning at 6th level, you may expend a Bardic Inspiration die as a bonus action to gain resistance to an energy type of your choice for a number of rounds equal to the amount rolled. Your alignment appears to be neutral evil while you wear a Dragon mask.

Faceless. Only a pair of empty eyeholes break this otherwise featureless oval, porcelain mask. While you wear this mask, you have advantage on saves against spells. Beginning at 6th level, you can spend a Bardic Inspiration die as a bonus action to gain advantage on Stealth checks for a number of rounds equal to the result rolled. Your alignment appears to be neutral while you are wearing a Faceless mask.

Gladiator. This wyvern-hide mask is shaped like the face of a grim warrior. Scars cover its surface, and silver chainmail rings surround its outer edge. While you wear this mask, you have proficiency with martial weapons. Beginning at 6th level, when you make a melee weapon attack, you can expend a Bardic Inspiration die as a bonus action to increase your attack roll by the amount rolled. Your alignment appears to be chaotic neutral while you wear a Gladiator mask.

High Priest. This mask of rose porphyry has a wide mouth open in song, but instead of eyes it has slits twisted into runes, which somehow do not restrict your vision. While wearing the mask of the high Priest, you have the spells bless, detect evil and good, healing word, and shield of faith prepared in addition to the spells you have prepared. Beginning at 6th level, add aid and zone of truth to your spells prepared. In addition at 6th level, you can expend a Bardic Inspiration die as a bonus action to increase the save DC of a spell cast by you by the amount rolled. You must finish a long rest before using this ability again. Your alignment appears to be neutral good while you wear a High Priest mask.

Monk. This smoothly sanded wooden mask depicts the stern face of a bald man. While wearing this mask you gain the Monk Martial Arts class feature using Unarmed Strike damage of your level. Beginning at 6th level, you may roll a Bardic Inspiration die as a bonus action to cast feather fall targeted only on yourself for a number of rounds equal to the amount rolled. You alignment appear to be lawful neutral while you wear a Monk mask.

MrStabby
2015-04-29, 07:42 AM
This is really good and makes a very interesting archetype. I do think that there is quite a bit of inequality among the masks though.

The angel is pretty great - paladin smites on a class with full spell progression? Neat. Things that spring to mind include taking three levels to get this mask on a bladelock - smites with recharging spell slots are pretty good.

Archmage could be pretty awesome, especially with magical secrets and high level spells. Spells like hold person become much more scary and the bard can end encounters by himself with the right spells.

The assassin is an odd mask. Benefits require weapon attacks so it does mean you anticipate using fewer spells. On the other hand if you are going for an archer bard it may be better than going Valor bard. Potentially interesting as you have the beast as a mask as well to give you advantage if you need it.

The beast seems weak by itself - the bonuses are great but on only one attack it seems unlikely that it will tip your attack into the best use of an action. On the other hand being able to get reckless attack through a full spellcasting class would certainly appeal to some builds (looking at the Paladin again!)

Demon is ok, but situational. I imagine this could be fun for RP purposes though.

Dragon doesn't work for me. A flat 3d6 on a dex save isn't that good, even at low levels although the resistance ability isn't bad.

Faceless is potentially awesome given things like proficiency/expertise in stealth. With some halfling/woodelf race choices it could be close to at will invisibility. It mat depend on your DM/campaign setting as to if this is good or not.

The gladiator also seems a bit dull, at least compared to the others. It is ok, but martial weapons are things that are so easy to get other ways I don't know that it would make your guy feel so special. I would be tempted to even add a spot of armour to his proficiencies although realistically I think you could have more fun with this.

High priest is same as the archmage really. Are they supposed to be able to stack when you get to level 14? Unsavable meteor swarms or similar by adding dice from both abilities?

The monk does feel like it sucks, however after a bit more thought I began to think this could be pretty dangerous when you begin to stack masks. A Monk plus one of the other combat oriented masks could be powerful - you offset your lack of attacks and lack of weapon proficiency with frequent, high damage attacks augmented by whatever spells you want (say elemental weapon) - throw in angel or beast mask at 14 and you have a pretty strong melee character.

All in all I like this - there is aenough in it to keep you wanting to stay in the class to high levels, and enough synergies with other classes to make you want to leave. The different masks allow potentially many different playstyles and encourage you to try new things. I think the class may be a little on the powerful side but not by too much and it's power may be as much in versatility as in anything else.

Scarce
2015-04-29, 11:43 AM
Thank you so much for your in-depth comments, Mr Stabby! I really wanted to channel the versatility of the Factotum here, with as much flavor as I could.

Dragon doesn't work for me. A flat 3d6 on a dex save isn't that good, even at low levels although the resistance ability isn't bad.

I'll definitely buff the strength here to usable once every 1d4 rounds. Any ideas on if/how I should scale this damage?

The gladiator also seems a bit dull, at least compared to the others. It is ok, but martial weapons are things that are so easy to get other ways I don't know that it would make your guy feel so special. I would be tempted to even add a spot of armour to his proficiencies although realistically I think you could have more fun with this.

I'm going to think this over in terms of strength, but likely I'll add shield proficiency. (Still a bit dull, I know, but this is an easy one to make too strong.)

Mr.Moron
2015-04-29, 11:58 AM
When you join the College of the Masters of Masks at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in Deception and Performance.

Since this comes online at 3rd level, and bards already have a wide skill selection this can make things awkward for people not "Planning" to go masks, only to find up when they do they have overlapping and wasted proficiency.

I'd personally like it if it abilities like this read:

When you join the College of the Masters of Masks at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in Deception and Performance. If you are already proficient in deception you may choose another skill proficiency from among those bards can choose at 1st level. If you are already proficient in performance you may choose another skill proficiency from among those bards can choose at 1st level.

Also, I think "College of the Masters of Masks" sounds rather clumsy in comparsion to the one-word "Lore" and Valor". "College of Masks" or "College of the Masks" or "College of Personas" might all roll off the tongue a bit easier.

Flashy
2015-04-29, 12:28 PM

When you join the College of the Masters of Masks at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in Deception and Performance. If you are already proficient in deception you may choose another skill proficiency from among those bards can choose at 1st level. If you are already proficient in performance you may choose another skill proficiency from among those bards can choose at 1st level.

Since the bard proficiencies are "Any" you can just simplify that to choose another proficiency.

Mr.Moron
2015-04-29, 12:33 PM
Since the bard proficiencies are "Any" you can just simplify that to choose another proficiency.

I my format better because it stands up to the chance of the bard list being narrowed or given exceptions in later errata or supplements.

Suppose there is a setting supplement later that adds some new skill "Dragon Egg Tending" or something, which specifically calls out bards as not getting it as a class skill. With my wording it keeps that limitation in place, yours would not.

Also if you use it multiple places, say outside the bard context it keeps things nice and consistent. I'll admit it's format/templating nitpick , but that's just one of those things I get hung up on.

weaseldust
2015-04-29, 12:41 PM
Good job on picking an archetype that fits the new bard well. They can already steal other classes' spells, it makes sense they would be after other class features too!

That said, I would be more comfortable if they could only use the copied abilities so many times per short rest, or if they required expending inspiration dice. For instance, it almost makes the Paladin obsolete when a Bard can smite more frequently than them and also copy some of their best spells (and at level 14 also gain advantage against all spells whatsoever).

I'm not familiar with the original prestige class (I recognise the name and that's it), but I feel like there's a lack of features related to being good at acting, copying people, disguising yourself etc. Maybe that's not really part of the concept, though?

Lastly, alignment doesn't have mechanical effects in this edition. The only way to appear lawful evil is to behave lawfully and evilly, and so on, so the 'appear to have a certain alignment' feature either does nothing or forces the bard to act a certain way. Not that anything important rests on that part of the archetype, of course.

Scarce
2015-04-29, 07:58 PM
Since this comes online at 3rd level, and bards already have a wide skill selection this can make things awkward for people not "Planning" to go masks, only to find up when they do they have overlapping and wasted proficiency.

I totally agree. This crossed my mind, but I hadn't fixed it yet.

Also, I think "College of the Masters of Masks" sounds rather clumsy in comparsion to the one-word "Lore" and Valor". "College of Masks" or "College of the Masks" or "College of Personas" might all roll off the tongue a bit easier.
Great solution! To slim it down a bit further (in the 5e tradition of concise wording):

When you join the College of Masks at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in Deception and Performance. If you are already proficient in one of these skills you may choose another skill proficiency from among those bards can choose at 1st level.

Also, I will certainly change this to the College of Masks.

MrStabby
2015-04-30, 03:45 AM
Maybe you do need a "for each one of these you are already proficient in you may select an alternative skill to be proficient in" type phrase.

As it is it could be interpreted that if you have both skills you pick a new one, or possibly that you don't get any.

Scarce
2015-05-01, 03:17 PM
I have plenty of sub-classes yet to post. Would you guys like to see Chronomancer (wizard), Rage Mage (barbarian), Summoner (wizard), Pact of the Skin (warlock), Inquisitor (paladin), or Magitech Templar (fighter)?

Mr.Moron
2015-05-01, 03:31 PM
I have plenty of sub-classes yet to post. Would you guys like to see Chronomancer (wizard), Rage Mage (barbarian), Summoner (wizard), Pact of the Skin (warlock), Inquisitor (paladin), or Magitech Templar (fighter)?

Just going by name:

Rage Mage & Pact of the Skin sound most interesting.
Magitech Templar could be interesting.
Inquisitor, Chronomancer and Summoner are the least exciting of the bunch.

MrStabby
2015-05-01, 04:00 PM
Hmm. Well I would be interested in your take on a chronomancer. I have one in my campaign setting (NPCs taking it, I offered it to my playgroup but in the end none of them has taken it - although one is considering multiclassing).

My one isnt a wizard but it a martial class with some spellcasting (slow, haste, blur, timestop, but also Maze and some portal spells) and some supernatural abilities thrown in.

Scarce
2015-05-11, 12:31 AM
If anyone's interested, I've uploaded a PDF formatted like the Player's Handbook of the final version onto my newly started blog! (http://middlefingerofvecna.blogspot.com/2015/05/master-of-masks.html) I tried hard to make it look like it could fit right in the pages of the Handbook, so any comments on the formatting are welcome!