PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Manyjaws + Bracers of the Entangling Blast

paranoidbox
2015-04-29, 04:04 AM
I have a question about a combination of a spell and a magic item: how would Manyjaws work with the Bracers of the Entangling Blast?

Short summary (from memory because I'm AFB):
Manyjaws creates up to 10 snapping jaws of force, each dealing 1D6 damage (Refhalf), divided any way you want. You may concentrate on the spell for up to 3 rounds and can redistribute the jaws as part of the concentration effort.

The Bracers of the Entangling Blast allow you to cast a spell and reduce its damage by half, but any creature hit by the spell is entangled for 3 rounds. During this time, they receive 1 damage per spell level of the same damage type as the spell.

Soooo... suppose my caster casts Manyjaws and uses the bracers. He divides the jaws up over 10 enemies, dealing 1D6/2 damage (Refhalf), in the process entangling 10 creatures who all receive an extra 3 damage per round for 3 rounds. But he concentrates on the spell and next round redistributes the Manyjaws to some other enemies.

Specifically, my question boils down to this: do the other enemies also end up becoming entangled thereby also only receiving half damage, or does the spell end up doing its full damage as per regular rules with no entangling effects?

Doctor Awkward
2015-04-29, 04:45 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't. It's still the same spell.

Round 1: Target 10 enemies, each gets a Ref save or takes 1d6/2 + 3 force damage, cut in half again if they save, and are entangled for 1d3 rounds.

Round 2: You target 10 new enemies with the same spell. Same rolls as above, all enemies from the previous round still entangled take another 3 points of force damage.

Round 3: If there are still more enemies see above. If not, go after ones previously hit. I doubt the entangled condition would stack since it's from the same source, but it could overlap. So if someone is no longer entangled you can entangle them again, or attempt to lengthen the duration of current entanglement.

paranoidbox
2015-04-29, 03:23 PM
Reading the entry for the bracers, I guess I'd be inclined to agree with you. I just thought I'd ask and get someone else's opinion :-)

Thanks for the answer!