PDA

View Full Version : is a halfling beast master best served going pure ranger or dipping into another?

CyberThread
2015-04-29, 08:31 AM
So this will be a ranged flying halfling mount build. Am starting at level 4 with probably the stout halfling. Do you think I should go pure ranger or eventually dip?

Symphony
2015-04-29, 08:40 AM
So this will be a ranged flying halfling mount build. Am starting at level 4 with probably the stout halfling. Do you think I should go pure ranger or eventually dip?

I think pretty much all Rangers are better off taking at least one level of something non-Ranger, if only because Ranger 20 is so meh.

Giant2005
2015-04-29, 08:54 AM
I'd dip.
You don't really need to go beyond Ranger 11 (or 15 if you want to make use of the shared spells thing) and some classes mesh really well with the Beastmaster.
Fighter 3 (Battlemaster) is excellent for the ability to make your companion attack a third time via Commander's Strike.
Cleric 1 is awesome for Sanctuary which is much, much more powerful when you can still deal damage via the companion without breaking the spell.
If you do plan on picking up shared spells at 15, a couple of Paladin levels might be worth doing for a low level smite spell that you could get a two-for-one deal on by having it effect both you and the companion.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-29, 09:22 AM
I'd keep it to a minimum, because otherwise your companion's hit points and your own spell progression suffer. Bear in mind that, with a flying companion, it's that much more difficult for the enemy to interrupt your concentration. And ranger spells aren't half bad when used correctly. You can have a lot of fun with grasping vine.

With a flyer, it sounds like you'll be doing a lot of the attacking yourself. Are you using a bow, lance, or something else?

CyberThread
2015-04-29, 09:41 AM
Right now looking at crossbow expert

Easy_Lee
2015-04-29, 10:03 AM
Hmm, well, one of the bigger issues with beast masters is that they can share buffs with their companion, but can't do so until very late, and also can't cast haste which would be one of the best things to grant the companion.

I'd have to think about it, a lot, but I could see a BM / Dragon sorcerer being an interesting mix. You could get some higher level spell slots, and can turn unneeded ones into spell points; you have better and weightless armor, so you don't weigh down your companion; you could take DC-less spells exclusively, like shield, so you don't need very high CHA; and you might be able to pick up both haste and the share spells BM ability, though probably not until 20.

Might be better to just take a full ranger build, though. Rangers don't multiclass any better than paladins do, since every lost level hurts those things they're good at.

SharkForce
2015-04-29, 10:21 AM
Might be better to just take a full ranger build, though. Rangers don't multiclass any better than paladins do, since every lost level hurts those things they're good at.

i would agree for the first many levels. once you get a few under your belt, i don't think there's a huge difference between, say, ranger 13 and ranger 11/fighter 2. but there is definitely a huge difference between ranger 5 and ranger 3/fighter 2, so i'd agree you should probably stick with ranger for what is likely to be the majority of the campaign (but if it is going to level 20, i don't see that as being a huge loss to multiclass *after* you've got your key ranger abilities)

Person_Man
2015-04-29, 10:37 AM
You might want to look at this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?405369-Beastmaster-Ranger-Not-as-terrible-as-it-seems) for advice on the subclass.

In general, I would say that you should stay mostly strait Ranger until the end of your progression. Otherwise your Companion will suck.

If you're using your companion solely for flight and fast movement (and not for the added benefits of getting a creature with another Reaction and/or status effect or more attacks), you might just want to play as an aarakocra instead, or just play a spellcaster with access to an Animate Dead or Conjure Whatever spell, and create a minion to fly on. Pteranodon is indeed awesome, but its only worthwhile in places where flight is worthwhile. If you spend a large amount of time underground in dungeons or whatever, its usefulness is limited.

CyberThread
2015-04-29, 11:45 AM
Am specify doing a talena halfling so that is where that is going. As for the other items. I think mounted combat will be mandatory it seems first feat to get.