PDA

View Full Version : Feat Stacking

stupnick
2007-04-17, 11:20 AM
im just wondering would

Greater Weapon Focus (Heavy Crossbow) +2hit
Weapon Specialization (Heavy Crossbow) +2dam
Ranged Weapon Master (Piercing) +2hit/dam with all piercing ranged weapons.

the only reason i am wondering it b/c it requires both the first two to enter it.. well weapon focus, not greater. but it does state that it does or doesn't, it states "with all ranged weapons of that type you gain +2 to hit and damage"

20thLevelGeek
2007-04-17, 11:25 AM
I'm pretty sure it does, though I imagine someone will be along shortly to tell me it doesn't ;)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-17, 11:28 AM
You would indeed have +4 to hit and damage with heavy crossbows if you had all those feats. They are unnamed bonuses from different sources that don't directly say they overlap. You're in the clear.

stupnick
2007-04-17, 11:39 AM
awesome, thank you so much.. i am creating an archer of sorts. a heavy crossbow uses that goes into the order of the bow, it doesn't state that all the bonuses work only with bow, just with any range weapon you have focus for.. so i give up 1 feat, to get +d8's in damage when only 1 shot.. wait heavy crossbows are only 1 shot!!.. at level 10 right now. i have +22 to hit, and do 4D8+8 damage, then +1 to each with PB. not to mention i can attack anyone even in melee with it. and 1/2 dex to damage.. so that's not that bad either.

asqwasqw
2007-04-17, 12:42 PM
Either get a heavy repeating crossbow and waste a feat for profiency or get a heavy crossbow and waste a feat for rapid reload.

Jasdoif
2007-04-17, 12:52 PM
Either get a heavy repeating crossbow and waste a feat for profiency or get a heavy crossbow and waste a feat for rapid reload.Rapid Reload won't do it with a heavy crossbow. Reducing the reload time to a move action still limits you to a single attack.

asqwasqw
2007-04-17, 12:53 PM
Rapid Reload won't do it with a heavy crossbow. Reducing the reload time to a move action still limits you to a single attack.

Better than one attack every 2 rounds, eh?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-17, 12:54 PM
Rapid Reload won't do it with a heavy crossbow. Reducing the reload time to a move action still limits you to a single attack.

As opposed to reloading as a full round action which gives you a single attack every other round?

No improvement there at all.

edit: Simued again....

Person_Man
2007-04-17, 01:07 PM
awesome, thank you so much.. i am creating an archer of sorts. a heavy crossbow uses that goes into the order of the bow, it doesn't state that all the bonuses work only with bow, just with any range weapon you have focus for.. so i give up 1 feat, to get +d8's in damage when only 1 shot.. wait heavy crossbows are only 1 shot!!.. at level 10 right now. i have +22 to hit, and do 4D8+8 damage, then +1 to each with PB. not to mention i can attack anyone even in melee with it. and 1/2 dex to damage.. so that's not that bad either.

This is exactly why Order of the Bow Initiate is so bad. At ECL 10, one attack for an average of 20-40ish damage is phenomenally bad. Heck, a core only Ranger with Rapidshot and a moderately good magic bow will do better. And that's pretty bad.

Jasdoif
2007-04-17, 07:02 PM
Better than one attack every 2 rounds, eh?It's an improvement, sure, but it doesn't really do anything about the "only 1 shot!" part.

And since using Rapid Reload with a hand crossbow or light crossbow you would get iterative attacks like a repeating crossbow would, I thought it was worth pointing out that a heavy crossbow doesn't get the same thing. Avoid confusion and all that.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-17, 07:07 PM
It's an improvement, sure, but it doesn't really do anything about the "only 1 shot!" part.
Of course, the OP was interested in making the most of a class ability that reduced you to only one shot per round anyway.

Jasdoif
2007-04-17, 09:35 PM
Of course, the OP was interested in making the most of a class ability that reduced you to only one shot per round anyway.Huh, missed that part. All makes sense now...except that Order of the Bow Initiate is even worse then I originally thought. Ow....

But now that you've mentioned it, with single shot being the case, it does go a long way towards alleviating concerns about the full-round action required to reload a repeating crossbow. Those five shots will last five rounds, should be fine for most combats. I'd prefer being to able to fire and move in a round and be able to fire each round, over being limited to picking one. Now if only the class was worthwhile....(makes a mental note of "Order of the Repeating Crossbow Initiate")