PDA

View Full Version : What house rules do you play with?

calebrus
2015-04-29, 04:27 PM
Our table uses a ton of house rules and little tweaks to make the game play exactly the way that we want it to play.
I'll share them with you below, and I'm interested to see what some of yours look like.

*Note:
This is not a discussion on why a certain house rule is good or bad. That's for each table to decide on their own, and is completely subjective. This is simply a compiled list of what house rules that are in play at different tables, for others to view and see if they find something that they like.

The rules that our table uses are listed below (and it's a long one), copied from the Doc that we keep.

character creation rules and general houserules

-- Who are you? Choose a race and sex. How did you grow up? What's your background? Who are you as an individual? Decide these things and build your background completely. Custom backgrounds are welcomed, but require approval. Get a feel for who you are and what kind of personality you have first and foremost.
---- Feel free to mix and match background options (or create your own options with approval) to create a background that you like, with one stipulation: Your Bond must involve either the story itself or another party member in some, possibly indirect, way. Because of this, feel free to create your entire background and personality, but leave the Bond open. Or team up with someone (or multiple people) to create your backgrounds together as childhood friends, relatives, etc. If done this way, make sure to take into account any age differences due to race, and other things like that. Inspiration will be awarded for good role playing, so make sure to create a background and personality that you can identify with at least somewhat, and play your character well. Inspiration is an amazing mechanic which allows me to reward good RP with a benefit that you can use in game.
---- This process should be completed before any mechanical aspects are considered. Decide and flesh out WHO you are before you decide and flesh out WHAT you are.
---- All races and classes in the PHB are available (although some classes have been altered slightly, see below). If you want to play a race that is not listed in the PHB (examples: Kender, Warforged, etc) ask me, and *IF* it can be made to work within the world, then we'll figure out *HOW* to make it work within the world.

-- Choose a class. Figure out what your specialty is. If your concept is similar to a certain PrC in 3e or a certain concept not yet shown within the PHB, decide upon that now and let me know. If it's something which would require a custom subclass, I need to know so that I have time to build one for you.
Example: A Beguiler would be a Wizard subclass with a limit on spell selection, a few more proficiencies, and some different subclass abilities, or more likely a Bard subclass with a couple of the wizard's Enchantment and Illusion schools' perks.
No idea is unworkable unless it requires a different system, such as shadow magic or incarnum, and even then we can usually work something out within the pre-existing classes to get the character to feel the way that you want it to feel (even if the mechanics are different, we can get the feeling correct). Even if you want something crazy, like a super-power (a'la Nightcrawler or whatever), we can probably make it work (incidentally, a super-power would be restricted to non-casters (fighter/barb/monk/rogue), and would be a new subclass created for one of those classes.
The idea of subclasses in place of PrCs is both elegant and easier to homebrew options for. I am absolutely willing to work with you to create the character that you want to play.

-- I feel that the base Human race is underpowered, and that the variant Human is overpowered. As such, I have combined the two a bit to the following:
An Human gains proficiency in one skill, tool, or weapon of his choosing. This choice must be something appropriate to his or her background, and approved by the DM. An Human also gains a +2 to one stat of his choice, and a +1 to three different stats of his choice.
Variant Human is not allowed (see Ability Score Increases below)

-- We will use a slightly modified standard array for creation. You stats are: 14, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, arranged as you desire.
No evil characters allowed. Neutral is fine, but if so then good tendencies are preferred. Even neutral characters know the difference between right and wrong. They may not always act for the greater good, but they know and appreciate that it exists. This is an heroic game. I expect players to treat it, themselves, and each other as such, if not all of the time, at least more often than not. This is not to say that certain concepts are disallowed. For example, a Red Wizard or Zhentarim Agent is not required to be evil simply because the organization is. Exceptions exist, and as the players of heroic characters, you are those exceptions.

-- The first two levels are considered apprentice levels. You don't actually become true adventurers until you reach level three. This is intended, is the reason that most classes don't choose a subclass/archetype until that time, and is the reason that the XP required to gain a level is so low compared to levels above third. Multiclassing is allowed, but because of the apprentice levels, you must reach level three in your chosen class before multiclassing becomes an option. Not only must you reach level three in your starting class, but you must find an in game reason/tutor/study time/whatever in order to multiclass. You will not be allowed to simply grab a random level or two of another class without first spending time learning the tricks of the class. I will not be harsh on your ability to do so, but I will enforce the that I need to be aware of the fact that you're trying to learn something new before you actually learn it.
The only way around this restriction of acquiring level three prior to multiclassing is to use the Dual Class level one character rules outlined below.

-- Ability Score Increases gained at class levels have been altered for two reasons: 1) to be in line with the feat changes described below, and 2) to attempt to rectify the mutually exclusive nature of feats and ASIs, especially where the weaker feats are concerned. Feats have been separated into major feats and minor feats. With the exception of the feats which grant armor proficiency, any feat which inherently offers a +1 to a stat has had that benefit removed (and is now a minor feat, so if you choose it instead of an ASI you get a +1 to any stat of your choice instead of the one listed in the feat's description). This was done to make some of the less desirable feats somewhat more desirable.
At character creation, each character chooses one of the options below and immediately gains that benefit.
Each time a character gains an Ability Score Increase via class levels, choose one of the options below.
---- Ability Score Increase options ----
option one: +1 to two different stats
option two: +1 to one stat and gain one minor feat
option three: gain one major feat
---- Minor Feats ----
Actor (+Cha removed), Athlete (+Str/Dex removed), Charger, Dual Wielder (see DW listing below), Dungeon Delver, Durable (+Con removed), Fighting Style (as per fighter class), Grappler, Healer, Inspiring Leader, Keen Mind (+Int removed), Linguist (+Int removed), Medium Armor Master, Observant (+Int/Wis removed), Skilled (allows expertise), Spell Sniper, Tavern Brawler (+Str/Con removed), Tough, Weapon Master (+Str/Con removed)
---- Major Feats ----
Alert, Crossbow Expert, Defensive Duelist, Elemental Adept, Great Weapon Master, Heavily Armored (+Str remains), Heavy Armor Master, Lightly Armored (+Str/Dex remains), Lucky, Mage Slayer, Magic Initiate, Martial Adept, Mobile, Moderately Armored (+Str/Dex remains), Mounted Combat, Polearm Master, Resilient, Ritual Caster, Savage Attacker, Sentinel, Sharpshooter, Shield Master, Skulker, Warcaster
--If there is something that you want to be able to do, but that thing is not represented in feats currently available, we can discuss creating a feat for it (no promises that we'll be able to work it out to be properly balanced, so it may get vetoed).

-- Critical Hits: We will be implementing a critical confirmation roll. If you do not confirm the crit, you roll weapon damage dice twice just as the PHB states. If you confirm the crit, the first weapon die does max damage and you roll the second normally. If the confirmation is a crit, all dice are maximized. This way any crit will have additional effect, confirmed crits will be especially deadly, and double crits become even deadlier still.
Be forewarned, enemies will use these rules as well.

-- Saving Throws which you are not proficient with add half of your proficiency bonus (rounded down) to the roll. Everyone essentially gets proficiency with the two Saving Throws designated by their class, and half proficiency with the other four.

-- Weapons with the Finesse property can be used with either Str or Dex for attack and damage, as listed. Weapons with the Light or Versatile properties, but lacking the Finesse property, can be used with either Str or Dex to attack, but always use Str for damage. Weapons with none of those properties (Finesse, Light, or Versatile) use Str for attack and damage, as listed.

-- The benefits of the Two Weapon Fighting style and the Dual Wielder feat have been swapped/changed. The TWF style now grants the ability to use non-light weapons. The Dual Wielder feat now grants the ability to draw two weapons, +1 AC, and modifier to damage with the second weapon.

-- If you have the Extra Attack feature, at level 11 the Martial Arts and/or TWF bonus attack grants two off hand attacks rather than one. At level 11, when a Monk with the Extra Attack feature uses Flurry of Blows, that Flurry allows three extra attacks instead of two. Basically, at level 11, when anyone with the Extra Attack feature uses Two Weapon Fighting, Martial Arts, or Flurry of Blows, the number of attacks made via the Bonus Action increases by one.

-- Druids in Wild Shape do not use separate HP pools, but instead get a pool of HP called Beast Form Hit Points equal to half the beast's normal HP. These Beast Form HP function like temporary HP except they can also be healed. The Druid does not revert to humanoid form when these Beast Form HP are depleted unless he chooses to. The only way to refresh or regain the BFHP other than healing is to revert to humanoid form, and then into a *different* beast form. If three combat rounds have passed after reverting to humanoid form, the same beast form may be chosen again and the BFHP will refresh as if you chose a different form.

-- Open Hand Monk contains many abilities which I feel are integral to the Monk base class. As such, the Open Hand Monk subclass is being rolled into the base Monk class, and every Monk has this Way automatically, regardless of which other subclass is chosen.

-- Champion Fighter and Thief Rogue both contain many abilities which I feel are integral to their respective base classes, but both of these base classes gain extra Ability Score Increases above what other classes gain. As such, these subclasses can be taken in place of a Feat/ASI by other subclasses of their respective class. When the ASI is spent in this way, the Fighter or Rogue gains the benefits of the second subclass (retroactively, if needs be).

-- Eldritch Knight Fighters and Arcane Trickster Rogues gain a third school of their choice which they have access to, in addition to the two listed in their respective entries.

-- The Beast Master Archetype is being rolled into the Ranger base class. The Ranger's "companion" for the day would be the target of a modified Animal Friendship spell (hereby referred to as the Ranger's Beast Friend), which would need to be renewed each day, and the BM features only apply if the Ranger has a Beast Friend.
This variation of the Animal Friendship spell is only available to Rangers, and all Rangers learn this spell automatically. A Ranger can only have one companion at a time. When first cast, or when a companion needs to be replaced, the DM tells you which beasts are in the area for you to befriend at the time. So he has some control over which beasts are available, to keep abuse to a minimum. Basically, companions need DM approval.
The CR of a Ranger's Beast Friend is set by the spell level used to befriend the beast.
1st level slot = companion max CR 1/8 or lower
2nd level slot = CR 1/4 or lower
3rd = CR 1/2 or lower
4th = CR 1 or lower
5th = CR 2 or lower
*note: This means that All Rangers are both Hunters and Beast Masters, but the Beast Master abilities are only usable if the Ranger sacrifices one (or more, if the beast dies) spell slots each day to gain a Beast Friend.

--Spell Points (copied from book for your ease of use)
Instead of gaining a number of spell slots to cast your spells from the Spellcasting feature, you gain a pool of spell points instead. You expend a number of spell points to create a spell slot of a given level, and then use that slot to cast a spell. You can't reduce your spell point total to less than 0, and you regain all spent spell points when you finish a long rest.
Spells of 6th level and higher are particularly taxing to cast. You can use spell points to create one slot of each level of 6th or higher. You can't create another slot of the same level until you finish a long rest.
The number of spell points you have to spend is based on your level as a spellcaster, as shown in the Spell Points by Level table. Your level also determines the maximum-level spell slot you can create. Even though you might have enough points to create a slot above this maximum, you can't do so.
The Spell Points by Level table applies to bards, clerics, druids, sorcerers, and wizards. For a paladin or ranger, halve the character's level in that class and the consult the table. For a fighter (Eldritch Knight) or rogue (Arcane Trickster), divide the character's level in that class by three.
This system can be applied to monsters that cast spells using spell slots, but it isn't recommended that you do so. Tracking spell point expenditures for a monster can be a hassle.

(*note: Under this spell point system, full casters gain one less 6th and one less 7th level spell per day.)
(*note: Warlocks are not affected by the spell point system at all unless they multiclass with another spellcaster. In that case, the warlock portion remains unaffected, and their other spellcasting class grants SP in the manner listed for that class.)
SPELL POINTS BY LEVEL
Level -- Spell Pts -- Max Spell Lvl -- Cost/Slot
1st ---------- 4 --------- 1st ------------- 2
2nd --------- 6 --------- 1st
3rd --------- 14 -------- 2nd ------------ 3
4th --------- 17 -------- 2nd
5th --------- 27 -------- 3rd ------------- 5
6th --------- 32 -------- 3rd
7th --------- 38 -------- 4th ------------- 6
8th --------- 44 -------- 4th
9th --------- 57 -------- 5th ------------- 7
10th -------- 64 -------- 5th
11th -------- 73 -------- 6th ------------- 9
12th -------- 73 -------- 6th
13th -------- 83 -------- 7th ------------ 10
14th -------- 83 -------- 7th
15th -------- 94 -------- 8th ------------ 11
16th -------- 94 -------- 8th
17th -------- 107 ------- 9th ------------ 13
18th -------- 114 ------- 9th
19th -------- 123 ------- 9th
20th -------- 133 ------- 9th

-- New Weapons
Katana = 300gp; martial (longsword proficiency applies); as longsword with masterwork (+1 damage)
Wakizashi: 50gp; martial (short sword proficiency applies); 1d6 slashing; finesse, versatile
---- special: a wakizashi counts as a light weapon for all purposes except dual wielding

-- Dual Class level one characters
At level 1, you may choose two classes instead of one.
Starting Features:
---- Choose one class as your primary class. You gain the weapon and armor proficiencies of that class, and the saving throw proficiencies and starting HP from your secondary class.
---- You gain any tool proficiencies of your primary class.
---- You gain one skill from each class' list. Bards, Rangers and Rogues get a second skill from their list. If Rogue was chosen as the primary class, you gain a third skill proficiency from their list.
---- If the two classes use different Hit Dice to determine HP, you use the lower of the two.
-- Dual Class character level one Class Features:
Instead of the benefits listed for each class you gain the following benefits at first level, for both of your classes:
---- Barbarian: Rage (reduced- once per day), Rage damage (reduced to +1)
---- Bard: spellcasting (reduced- one cantrip, two spells known, one level 1 spell slot)
---- Cleric: spellcasting (reduced- one cantrip, one level 1 spell slot)
---- Druid: spellcasting (reduced- one cantrip, one level 1 spell slot)
---- Fighter: fighting style
---- Monk: martial arts
---- Paladin: divine sense
---- Ranger: natural explorer
---- Rogue: expertise (reduced- one skill or thieves' tools), sneak attack
---- Sorcerer: spellcasting (reduced- two cantrips, one spell known, one level 1 spell slot), sorcerous origin (reduced- Draconic: ancestor only, Wild: wild magic surge only)
---- Warlock: otherworldly patron, one cantrip known, one spell known which may be cast twice per LONG rest
---- Wizard: spellcasting (reduced- two cantrips, one level 1 spell slot, three spells in book)
-- Once you attain 2nd level, you become a full level 1 of each class. You gain any additional benefits associated with each class that were missing, as well as full benefits with any features that were reduced for level 1. You also gain any benefits listed on the multiclass table for your secondary class (excluding additional skill proficiencies, as they have already been factored in). If the two classes use different Hit Dice to determine HP, you once again use the lower of the two to determine your HP for this level.
-- So basically, you get to start with both classes to a minor degree (for RP/fluff purposes), and in order to do so you take the saving throw proficiencies from your secondary class instead of your primary class, and it probably costs you an HP or three.

-- Certain spells in the PHB are not available to players. Such spells are only available as Rituals cast by an NPC.
Examples include: Raise dead, resurrection, wish, etc.
The changes I have made to the classes and the choices listed previously increase the players' power levels. In order to keep a somewhat gritty feel, certain "game changing" spells (such as those which bring players back from the dead and such) are not inherently available for player choice. I may or may not offer these spells to you as the game progresses, but you may not choose them. When levels are attained and I ask each player what they have learned by leveling, certain things may get vetoed upon this basis (not often, but the possibility exists). You have been warned.
On that note, there are also a very few things which were poorly thought out (such as the slimy doom option of the contagion spell). These things have been removed. Basically, if it seems like an "I win" button, chances are it is banned, and will be vetoed because it simply doesn't exist in my game.
Most of these are fairly obvious, but if you are unsure, simply ask me.

-- The PHB and DMG have a high regard of and expectation for DM rulings rather than attempting to create a rule for every conceivable situation. Because of this, there are sometimes inconsistencies and/or ambiguities within the rules as printed. If there is any question as to how something can be interpreted, especially if it involves a mechanical aspect of your character, make sure to ask me how I see it before basing your concept around the idea, as that idea may not be kosher with me.
Example: Twin spell metamagic via sorcerer. This is available only for single target spells. Spells such as scorching ray, with the inherent ability to target more than one creature, cannot be twinned, even if you direct all of the original rays at a single target.

-- The rules were written in plain English, not like a legal document. Read them in plain English and you shouldn't have any problems. One plus one always equals two, even if a rules lawyer can create what he considers to be a reasonable argument that one plus one actually equals three.
So what house rules do you use?

Yagyujubei
2015-04-29, 04:46 PM
jesus that's alot of tweaks lol....my group tweaks a ton as well, but it's on a case by case basis rather than new written rules like you have. multiple times in a session someone will be like "hey can we do this thing like this instead" and everyone will be like yeah that's seems fine or not and be done with it.

the only written in stone thing we have is that for leveling.

for use experience and leveling up are kinda separate from each other in that as we adventure we have to find people who can train us in our class to unlock the ability to be (x) level, and then it just happens whenever we get the exp it just happens.

if you train to unlock a level potential above your own you get a 10% bonus to exp towards reaching that level since you've already been shown the skills. different trainers also offer different small bonuses on top of unlocking level potential in the form of parts of feats, or slightly boosted perks you would normally gain at the level anyway.

for instance one trainer might give you a bonus 5 feet to your speed after training with them while another might teach you a cantrip or give you the "can't be surprised" bit from the alert feat. stuff like that.

Mr.Moron
2015-04-29, 05:00 PM
I have some home brew races, my own hero point rules and we roll hit points a bit differently. I'm also pretty restrictive with what spell selections are available and we sometimes modify things if players attached to something that has an effect I don't like on the game.

Hit Point rules. After 1st level when determining hit points gained each level roll 2 dice instead of 1 as indicated. Hit Dice remain unchanged.

d6 = 2d3
d8 = 2d4
d10 = 2d5
d12 =2d6

The races I have are (very setting specific versions of these):

Elf (Replaces Default Elves):

+2 Wis, +1 Cha.
Fundamental Presence: All living creatures are automatically aware of Elves within 10ft of them. They are also aware of if they know the Elf or not and if they do, who the individual is.
Imprinted Expertise: Choose a second background. You gain the skill, tool and language proficiencies from that background but not any other benefits.
Flashes of Experience: When you make a skill check you are not proficient with, you may add your proficiency bonus to the skill check and are considered trained for all purposes. Once you have used this feature you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.
Innate Magic: You know any one Cantrip from any class.

They can also digest plant matter like tree bark and acorns, and are on the short-lived side.

Centaur:

+2 Strength, +1 Charsima
Stable You have advantage on saving throws to avoid being knocked prone or moved.
Earnest You have proficiency in the Persuasion skill.
Vigor: You have advantage on saving throws against diseases and damage resistance against necrotic damage.
Aptitude: You may select one additional skill proficiency from the list of skill proficiencies normally available to your class.

They also don't age as other races do. Simply dying when they reach the end of their lives (at about 50 years of age), as healthy and youthful as they were when they first reached adulthood.

Garite: Tiny Dog people.

+2 Wis, +1 Int, +1 Dex
Insightful: You are proficient with the Insight skill.
Always Ready: You may add your proficiency bonus to initiative checks.
Quick-Thinking: You may take an additional reaction if you have already taken a reaction in a round. Once you use this feature you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.
Implacable: You have advantage on saving throws to resist being restrained or paralyzed.

They have odd lifespans. At about age 30, they have 50/50 chance to begin aging rapidly and dying in their 40s, or of beginning to age slowly and living into their 90s.

For the most part they've worked. I'd change some things but the game has two people using my made up races (Elf, Centaur) and two non-variant humans and it's seemed to work fine. Like I'd probably constrain elves to Wizard/Druid/Cleric cantrips, but that's what the player took anywhere so whatever. Given I created them without ever having played a game of 5e, I'm surprised how well it turned out.

Hero Points:
Players start with 1. They get 1 every time they attain level (including 1st). They also get 1 on a temporary basis every session. They can be used for a lot of things, but the most important thing is that spending 2 when you would die, gives you plot armor (you survive) and something else happens to your character.

This means that more or less that so long as they don't spend them willy nilly players have a 1/Level "Get of jail free" card vs death.

EDIT: Looks like I copied from an older version of elf that didn't have flashes of experience.

Battlebooze
2015-04-29, 05:29 PM
We are currently experimenting with giving our Dragonborn the random 5 or 6 on a d6 recharge for his breath weapon.

It doesn't seem out of line so far.

Kryx
2015-04-29, 05:32 PM
Thanks for sharing Calebrus. Very interesting read.

Here is mine: 5e Clarifications and houserules (https://docs.google.com/document/d/112evwX4-QFfkLlAEq8UDKLREazWlCpvAg6Ek_16752A).

It seems we came to very similar conclusions on feat strengths. I split mine out as well.

EDIT: I really like what you did with the monk by rolling in the way of the open hand. Stolen. Same with Thief - I'm just going to roll it in fully.

Yagyujubei
2015-04-29, 05:49 PM
also, as someone playing a monk i would kill for your tweaks lol. 5d10+25 for 1 ki is bananas.

calebrus
2015-04-29, 06:05 PM
also, as someone playing a monk i would kill for your tweaks lol. 5d10+25 for 1 ki is bananas.

Monks and Rogues actually get the short end of the stick with this house rules when you compare them to other melee characters.
But doing it this way is my way of combating the plethora of options that casters get later. Once the casters start to get their *really* good tricks, the weapon users begin to pull away from them for at-will damage.

Baptor
2015-04-29, 06:30 PM
Current House Rules.

Healing potions heal 1/4 of your maximum hp. Healing potions now cost 100gp and cannot be bought at regular vendors. They are treasure.

Standard array for ability scores only.

Hit points. Roll each time. You can take the result of the die or the average from the PHB, whichever is higher.

Evoker's potent cantrip affects cantrips with attack rolls that miss.

We buffed the Beastmaster's animal companions a bit. Too much to go into here.

When rolling death saves, you revive at 1hp whenever you roll three successful death saves in addition to rolling a natural 20. When this occurs, you can spend any remaining hit dice you have to heal up, but only at this time. (Ie if you wait til next round, its a no-go.)

When I call for skill checks, I call for an ability score. It is the player's choice to ask me if a given proficency applies. For example, if I call for a Dex check, the player can ask "I'm proficent in Stealth, would that apply?" And I make a ruling yes or no depending on circumstances. It's usually yes if I can think of any way that would be applicable.

Gnomes can spend gold to improve their trinkets. One player kept on spending until he had his own clockwork golem.

Can't think of any more right now.

Yagyujubei
2015-04-29, 06:47 PM
Monks and Rogues actually get the short end of the stick with this house rules when you compare them to other melee characters.
But doing it this way is my way of combating the plethora of options that casters get later. Once the casters start to get their *really* good tricks, the weapon users begin to pull away from them for at-will damage.

really, having a monk that gets an extra attack from flurry and all the features from WotOH AND WotFE sounds crazy strong to me, and actually makes fangs of the fire snake worth it. 5 ki to deal 10d10+25 that also pushes the enemy up 15-30 feet and then knocks them prone is amaaaaazeballs, take two levels of warlock or arcane initiate for hex and add 5d6 on top or that

da_chicken
2015-04-29, 06:48 PM
We have just one.

You "get advantage" rolling for hit points. Roll your hit die twice and chose the higher result.

asorel
2015-04-29, 07:02 PM
The table at which I play: Natural 20s on skill checks mean something. We have yet to attempt skill checks whose DCs were unreachable even by rolling a 20, so that particular rule has yet to affect us. Tieflings and Dragonborn don't exist in the known world. The main continents were created by the DM before 4th edition was released. Elves are in appearance as described by Tolkein, typically reaching heights well above the human average. Their personality and culture are changed to some extent as well. All ability scores are rolled with 4d6d3. You may be allowed a mercy mulligan at the DM's discretion.

The table which I run: 4d6d3, no reroll. However, after racial boni have been applied, you may decrease an odd score by 1 and increase an even score by 1. For one table where backgrounds aren't a huge part of the game: Instead of background skills, you have two free skills not limited by the class list.

calebrus
2015-04-29, 08:13 PM
really, having a monk that gets an extra attack from flurry and all the features from WotOH AND WotFE sounds crazy strong to me, and actually makes fangs of the fire snake worth it. 5 ki to deal 10d10+25 that also pushes the enemy up 15-30 feet and then knocks them prone is amaaaaazeballs, take two levels of warlock or arcane initiate for hex and add 5d6 on top or that

Doesn't work that way.
-- Fangs is your action (spend a Ki).
+10' reach for the turn.
-- Increase your damage for the attack (spend a Ki - 2).
-- Increase your damage for the extra attack (spend a Ki - 3).
-- Immediately after attacking, you can Flurry (spend a Ki - 4).
-- Increase the damage for your first flurry attack (spend a Ki - 5, and try to knock prone; note, you cannot push here, or the target will be out of your reach and you'll forfeit the remaining attacks from the flurry; you could attack and push a different target for the following attack, but you can't push twice).
*remember, Flurry requires that you "immediately" make attacks. It doesn't allow movement between them as would be normal, and I'm sticking to strict wording with this particular combo.
-- Increase the damage for your second flurry attack (spend a Ki - 6, same stipulations as before)
-- Increase the damage for your third flurry attack (spend a Ki - 7, now you can push if it was a single target all the time).

7 Ki, probably a prone, and one push for a single target.
7 Ki, probably a prone, possibly two, and one or two pushes for multiple targets.
And depending on your level you've just spent one-third to half of your Ki in one round. Short rests don't happen after every encounter. You want to blow a big portion of your load all at once? Feel free. But don't complain that you run out of Ki too quickly to last when you're using it in this manner.

GraakosGraakos
2015-04-29, 08:24 PM
A lot of my table's house rules were sort of just incorporated into 5e, like ability checks and proficiency.

We do play with custom subclasses.

We also tell whoever is DMing out of our group for that campaign what kind of magic item we'd like and we usually get a baby version that grows into artifact levels of power around lvl 15-17 or so. Like if I wanted a really cool sword that gave me the experience of my ancestors in fighting, it might start off as a +1 sword and end up as a +3 weapon that gives me advantage on 2 AR/Short Rest or something.

WampDiesel
2015-04-29, 10:23 PM
Probably the biggest house rule we have is about crits.

Roll a 20? Max base damage. Roll to confirm.

If you roll a hit then add (one damage die from each source) + mod to the max damage. If you roll another 20, roll for instant kill.

If you manage to roll 20, 20, hit (about 1 in 1000) then you instantly kill NPCs. If it happens to a player the PC is reduced to 0 HP unstable with 1 death fail.

Makes combat way more dangerous for the players but also ensures player crits will never be underwhelming (at the expense of lower potential max damage). Our DM Bubzors has a very hot hand so PCs that were full HP can randomly drop, turning a battle that was well in control into a fight for our lives. I personally enjoy the added "swinginess" as it adds more realism to the 6 on 20 battles that we constantly find ourselves in. Although my sneaky bard is usually the one getting them back on their feet so maybe I am biased. Haha.

mephnick
2015-04-29, 10:45 PM
All death saves are reserved until someone actually checks on you.

No more "Ignore our badly hurt, unconscious friend, he's got two saves already. He's good." meta-game.

You don't get to them in 4 rounds, they roll 4 saves right there to see if they're dead or not.

Sabeta
2015-04-29, 10:52 PM
Overkilling happens at half hp instead of full hp like the PHB says. Apparently that's how it worked in older editions and nobody wanted to make the game "too easy"

We all get a bucketload of exp if we type out a cohesive backstory that goes along with the adventure. More if we draw our character (unfortunately, quality of art helps determine experience here, so better artists actually end up with more experience)

We can also usually get any homebrewed weapon if we draw it and write out why we deserve it. One of my friends got a Tower Shield that way that has +1 more AC than a normal shield, and he can use a reaction to grant allies AC or something like that. (I can't remember the exact effect of it, but I believe it was a Fighter ability). He has all of this on his Warlock.

and yet, the DM can occasionally be very strict about the reading of some rules, for example for a while I wasn't allowed to use bonus attacks on my Monk while holding a Quarterstaff with two hands. Even now I have to RP what part of my body aside from my hand that I'm using to strike the target with (I commonly use elbows)

AmbientRaven
2015-04-29, 11:17 PM
Here are my hosuerules for my game.
The flanking rule is WiP and is being experimented with

House Rules

Concentration
You may focus on one positive concentration effect and one negative concentration effect. To determine which is which if unsure ask the GM

Perception Checks in combat
If an enemy is within 5ft you get disadvantage on perception checks

Picking up a dropped weapon
If you pick up a weapon with an enemy within 5ft of you, they get an Attack of Opportunity. If you have a shield they have disadvantage on the attack

Critical Damage
Critical Damage adds in the damage stat bonus (so +str for str weapons, +dex for finesse ect.)

Flanking
If there is an opponent in front & behind you, the opponent behind has Advantage
Flanking Feat: "I See All": Taking this feat makes it so you cannot be flanked

Vision

Darkvision: All races besides Tieflings and Drow require some sort of light source (starlight a dim glow ect.). Tieflings can see in pitch dark using their darkvision.
Drow Darkvision: Is thermal heat vision

Races

Alternate Elf: Drow Crinti (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Crinti)
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Darkvision. Your darkvision has a radius of 60 feet.
Drow Magic. You know the dancing Lights Cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the faerie fire spell once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for the spell.
Drow Weapon Training. You have proficiency with rapiers, Long Swords, and hand crossbows.

These can be used to represent drow followers of Eilistraee whom have been living above ground for longer and are more used to the daylight. They may be full drow, you don’t have to make them half-drow

Classes

Druid Animal Companion
A druid may take an animal companion much like a Ranger can. If they chose to do this they lose access to several abilities. A Moon Druid may no longer shift into elemental forms. They may also only know a maximum of 5 animal shapes (Those of the same family as their companion don’t count towards this (ie. A druid may know 5+bear forms if they have a bear companion). A Land Druid loses its 10th level ability “Nature’s Ward”, and “thousand forms” at 14th level becomes 1 per long rest.

Beastmaster Hunters
It takes a bonus action to command your companion. They continue on this action until combat ends or otherwise commanded to. (“Attack” once their first foe is down they will move to the next”)

Pet Level Progression
Pet Level ups
4 1D8+Con HP
5 1D4+Con HP
6 1D4+Con HP Wolf: +2 trip DC / Bear: Pack tactics
7 1D4+Con HP
8 1D8+Con HP
9 1D4+Con HP
10 1D8+Con HP Master down Rage (must attack foe whom downed master, gets +2 damage, +2 to hit)
11 1D4+Con HP
12 1D8+Con HP
13 1D4+Con HP
14 1D8+Con HP Dire form +2ac +2str +2dex +2con +2int
15 1D4+Con HP
16 1D8+Con HP
17 1D4+Con HP
18 1D8+Con HP
19 1D4+Con HP
20 1D8+Con HP Rage 1 time a day (as master down rage)

Naanomi
2015-04-29, 11:35 PM
Apart from taking a stance on a few ambiguous rules, only current house rule is to change the Grappler feat's 'typo ability' that does nothing to the ability grapple two sizes larger, but at disadvantage. A few other house rules are being talked about though

GoodbyeSoberDay
2015-04-29, 11:47 PM
I consider house rules as actual changes to the listed rules. Our table has plenty of homebrew (custom races like tibbits and goat people, metagame player abilities to affect the story), use of optional rules like feats, and of course a long list of rulings (5e requires it), but not a lot of house rules per se. Here they are:

Most races with darkvision got downgraded to low-light vision (races who naturally live underground keep darkvision), but low-light vision was upgraded to work fine for most levels of illumination, subject to DM interpretation. Moon/starlight, for instance, is enough for low-light vision to work fine at reasonable distances.

The BM animal companion acts somewhat autonomously (no need to command it to attack), but it's not very smart. So in game the BM's mastiff will naturally attack anyone who attacks the BM without the BM having to do anything, and the mastiff can fetch items and do other basic things like guard someone else, but sometimes he'll just sit there and bark like an idiot, like a regular BM animal companion would do.

You always start the session with inspiration, which can get confusing with a bard in the party.

Giant2005
2015-04-30, 12:09 AM

No more "Ignore our badly hurt, unconscious friend, he's got two saves already. He's good." meta-game.

You don't get to them in 4 rounds, they roll 4 saves right there to see if they're dead or not.

That is absolutely awesome! Must steal!

AgentPaper
2015-04-30, 12:47 AM
I only use two:

1) At level 11, fighters with the TWF style can attack twice with their off-hand weapon as a bonus action, instead of once.

2) In order to gain the benefits of Sharpshooter, you must be using both hands on your weapon. Mostly, this means that you can't do it while dual wielding hand crossbows.

Both of these are balance fixes, to make TWF fighters stronger and dual crossbows not be the strongest weapons in the game.

Malifice
2015-04-30, 01:13 AM
In order to gain the benefits of Sharpshooter, you must be using both hands on your weapon. Mostly, this means that you can't do it while dual wielding hand crossbows.

I like this. A lot.

I love this even more. Stolen.

Psikerlord
2015-04-30, 01:44 AM
Our houserules:

1. Everyone rolls stats but you can choose someone elses rolls (with a d4 penalty)
2. You can assign your racial stat bonuses to any stat you like
3. the -5/+10 feat mechanic is removed, instead gain +1 dex or str. Crossbow expert does not remove disad from shooting in melee.
4. devils sight doesn't work in magic darkness. instead gain adv on initiative (future visions)
5. no passive perception checks, just roll when you need to
6. no raise dead, resurrection or revivify spells exist for PC spell lists (do exist in world, just extremely rare).
7. legendary resistance gives a proficient save against effects that don't normally grant a save (eg forcecage, sleep, etc)
8. summon woodland creatures - delete the sentence about obeying orders
9. Stealth is more difficult once combat has started and the enemy is aware of you (generally disad on checks). I don't know if that's really a houserule, but its the kind of thing I clear with players before they decide their PCs.
10. When gain a level, reroll HP until you get in the top half of your dice range.
11. Death saves are made in secret (only that player and DM knows result).
12. We have a modified Injury & setbacks table for when reduced to zero hp (make a "death" save, if you fail, roll on the table...).

I think that's about it.

pribnow
2015-04-30, 02:19 AM
Great thread. I will definitely add some of the above houserules to my own. Here are my houserules:

- Racial Ability Modifiers: If a race provides a +2 bonus to a certain ability score, you may choose to reduce this bonus to +1 and gain an extra +1 bonus to an ability score of your choice. However, you cannot apply the extra +1 bonus to an ability score that the race already gives you a +2 bonus (or higher) on.
With this house rule any character can start play with a 16 in his main ability score, regardless of which race you choose.

- Ability Score Progression: At 5th level and each 5 levels thereafter, you can add a +1 to an ability score of your choice.

- Ability Checks: Instead of rolling a d20 for your ability checks (e.g. skill checks), you roll two dice that depend on your ability score:
score: ------------ ability check:
8 or lower ------- 2d6 + ability modifier
9-12 ------------- 2d8 + ability modifier
13-16 ------------- 2d10 + ability modifier
17 or higher ----- 2d12 + ability modifier
Exceptions: initiative checks (remains 1d20+dex) and spellcasting ability checks (remains 1d20+modifier)

- Optional Rules: We will use the optional rules for disarm, mark, overrun, shove aside and tumble as described on page 271-272 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide.

- Charge: You can use your action to gain extra movement equal to half your speed. If you then move at least 10 feet straight toward a target, you can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack or to shove a creature.

- Flank: If you do not already have advantage or disadvantage on your attack roll, you gain a +2 bonus to attack while flanking.

- Critical Hits: if you dislike the result of your damage roll on critical hit, you may reroll the damage and take the second result

calebrus
2015-04-30, 02:22 AM
5. no passive perception checks, just roll when you need to

We do the exact opposite.
Every single thing is opposed by a passive skill, unless the player specifically states that they are actively doing something.
And Passives for us are 8+mod+prof rather than a base 10+.
But we've been doing it this way for years. Decades, in fact, so I didn't even think to include it. That's just the way it is and has always been for us.
The DM doesn't even roll perception checks, or insight checks, or any other check for anyone. Ever. He doesn't tell them to roll one. Ever.
Everything is opposed by a passive score unless a specific action has been stated by a player in order to make a roll. The DM never tells someone to roll a check. The player tells the DM that he's rolling a check, and if he doesn't, he automatically uses his passive.
Outside of combat, your passive score is the lowest you can attain, so if you actually roll a die and it's lower than 8, it becomes an 8.
In combat, a roll is what shows on the die.
Certain important or otherwise tense situations may be ruled as using the in-combat rules if failure would be particularly detrimental.

If a check should actually required, but hasn't been stated (perception while someone is on watch at night, or whatever), then the DM rolls it. That way a player can't look at a die and know that they failed, if they wouldn't know it normally.
Secretive skill checks are as normal of a thing in our games as are passives being used.
The same goes for almost every mind affecting effect, the players' saves are usually rolled in secret unless we're in combat.

Oh, and if someone attempts a check at something, players can't get in line to try it. The person that made the statement makes the check. He can get Advantage to the roll (used to be a flat bonus for earlier editions) if someone that has a better chance of succeeding than he does wants to help (offering knowledge/advice/etc).
But no skill check conga lines. One roll, pass or fail.
edit:
This creates a situation where the second best person at any given check is the one you hope has the idea, because then the best person can help, which is kind of weird, but also kind of makes sense from a gamist perspective.
It kind of makes sense because you have your two best people working as a team to do it, so your chances for success should be decent.

hymer
2015-04-30, 02:36 AM
The first (quite short) campaign I ran, I didn't change anything. Since then, I use the following:

DM makes four stat arrays you can choose from that also grant a feat, and four stronger stat arrays that give you no feat. No variant humans (in addition to any campaign-dependent changes to race selections).

If you are proficient in Medicine, you get the Healer feat for free.

Stealth is rehashed into what my table is used to stealth being able to do. This gives rogues Sneak Attacks via Stealth somewhat more often (depending on how you read the Stealth rules to begin with, of course).

I'm tempted to make further tweaks. Each character gets proficiency in a DM-assigned skill (religion for most clerics, athletics for most barbarians, etc.), and if already proficient gains expertise instead. And mash Survival and Nature into one skill. But that will be for future campaigns.

Malifice
2015-04-30, 08:48 AM
My House rules:

Races:

Small races
Small characters must use small weapons. Small weapons deal damage one dice sized less than medium weapons (2d6 becomes 1d10). Small weapons cost the same as medium weapons but weigh half as much. A creature attacking with a weapon not appropriately sized for it, attacks at disadvantage. A creature cannot use weapons with the heavy quality at all unless they are sized appropriately for it. Identified magic weapons resize to match the wielder (but exceptions exist).

When determining ability scores for a small character during character creation, you cannot allocate more than four ability score points to your Strength score (making the maximum at character creation a score of 12). If you are playing a small character you may reduce your Strength to 7 at character creation. You gain an extra ability score point to allocate to your other ability scores if you do so. Alternatively you may reduce your strength to a score of 6; if you do so you gain an additional 3 ability score points to spend on your other ability scores at character creation. A small creature can raise dexterity to as high as 16 during character creation (before applying racial modifiers). It costs 12 ability score points to do so.

New dwarf sub race: Duergar

Duergar magic: At 1st level you can cast the Enlarge/ Reduce spell on yourself once per long rest. You may only use the enlarge option when casting this spell on yourself in this way. At 3rd level you can also cast the invisibility spell on yourself once per long rest. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Superior darkvision/ sunlight sensitivity: As Drow.

Humans must be variant humans.

Starting feats: All characters gain a feat at 1st level. Variant humans instead gain 2 feats at 1st level (one from being human and one from this rule).

Classes:

Multiclassing:

If your spell slots per day would be reduced on account of multiclassing, you may instead keep your slots from one class as your total spell slots per day.

Barbarian

At 1st level Barbarians gain 3 skill proficiencies instead of two.
Change the first line of the second bullet point of the rage ability to read: While under the effects of a rage, when you make a melee or ranged weapon attack using strength…
At 2nd level barbarians gain a Fighting style (chosen from: Duelling, Great weapon fighting, Protection, Two weapon fighting).
Danger sense can’t be used while you wear heavy armor.
At 12th level you also gain the Die Hard ability: You may reroll a failed check to stabilise when you are reduced to 0 hit points.
At 19th level, Barbarians also gain the Insensate fury ability: Beginning at 19th level, you have advantage on constitution and wisdom saving throws you make while you are under the effects of your rage, and are considered proficient in wisdom saving throws when raging.
The frenzy ability of the berserker primal path can now be used once per short rest without causing a level of exhaustion.

Bard

Expertise also allows the Bard to select a skill or tool proficiency that they are not proficient in from their list of class skills and gain proficiency in that skill (instead of doubling the bonus of a skill or tool already known).
Replace Magical secrets with Greater inspiration: At 10th level you may expend 1 use of bardic inspiration to affect 2 creatures at once with your bardic inspiration as a single bonus action; however the dice type reduces by two steps when you use this ability (d10 becomes d6, d8 becomes d4 etc.). You may affect up to 3 creatures at once as a single bonus action at 14th level and you may affect up to 4 creatures at once as a single bonus action at 18th level. All creatures must be within 30 feet of you for you to grant them an inspiration die, and must be able to hear you. A creature can only have one bardic inspiration dice at one time.

Cleric

At 1st level, Clerics are proficient in religion and two skills of choice from their list.
Clerics must be within one step of their deity’s alignment. Evil clerics (or neutral clerics of evil aligned deities) inflict necrotic damage with any class feature or spell that normally inflicts radiant damage. A cleric that changes his alignment loses access to his channel divinity, domain, divine intervention and spellcasting class features until he atones, or is accepted by a new deity.
Turn undead is now called ‘turn the unholy’ and works the same as the paladin class feature of the same name (see below).
Destroy undead is now called ‘destroy the unholy’ and also works on fiends.
Evil clerics and neutral clerics of evil deities exchange turn undead for bolster the unholy: ‘As an action you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer infusing nearby undead and fiends with unholy power. Each undead or fiendish creature that can see or hear you within 30’ gains temporary hit points equal to your cleric level plus your wisdom modifier, and can dash as a bonus action for 1 minute after the bolstering takes effect.’
At 5th level evil clerics and neutral clerics of evil deities exchange destroy undead for command the unholy: ‘As an action you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer commanding nearby undead and fiends to obey your will. Each undead or fiendish creature eligible to be affected that can see or hear you within 30’ must make a wisdom saving throw. Use the ‘destroy undead’ table to determine the maximum HD of creatures you can affect with this ability. Instead of being destroyed creatures who fail the save are dominated (as per dominate monster) until you use this ability again. The total combined CR of creatures you can control at any one time with this ability cannot exceed your cleric level’.

Druid

At 1st level, Druids are proficient in nature and two skills of choice from their list.
Druids must maintain a neutral component to alignment. Druids who violate this alignment restriction lose access to spellcasting, wild shape and druid circle abilities until their alignment conforms to the above. Druids who wear metal armor lose access to spell casting, wild shape and druid circle abilities until they doff the armor, and for 24 hours thereafter.
A Druid in Wild shape retains the mental ability scores (Cha, Wis and Int), proficiencies, class features, Hit Dice and hit points of his normal form. The Druid gains the physical ability scores (Str, Dex, Con), size, AC, proficiencies, attacks, movement modes, speed, senses and special abilities of the wild shaped form.
Druids gain a pool of temporary HP equal to (Druid level x 2) whenever they assume a Wild shape from their natural form.
A Druid in Wild shape may calculate his AC by adding his proficiency bonus to the base forms AC.
A Druid may use either his own proficiency bonus or the beasts proficiency bonus (whichever is higher) for any melee or ranged attack, skill or save that either the Druid or the beast are proficient in. The Druid retains his own proficiencies (however some may be unusable in his new form) and gains the creatures proficiencies in its listed skills, saves and with its natural attacks. If the new form has abilities that require a saving throw to resist, the Druid may substitute his own Spell attack DC for the DC of the special attack.

Fighter

You cannot cast a spell with the extra action granted from Action surge.
Bravery: At 5th level you are considered proficient in any saving throws you make to avoid becoming frightened.
Combat superiority: At 7th level a Fighter selects either strength or dexterity. The fighter has advantage on any contested ability checks made in combat situations involving that ability score, and advantage on opposed attack rolls. At 15th level, the fighter also gains advantage on any contested ability check in combat situations with the other ability score. This ability extends to initiative checks (if the fighter selects Dexterity).

Monk

Monks begin the game with 3 skill proficiencies instead of two
Monks may choose to treat attacks with unarmed strikes and attacks with monk weapons made using the martial arts class feature as attacks with finesse weapons as long as he is able to apply his dexterity modifier to the attack and damage rolls.
A Monk regains Ki points on a short rest, as long as he has spent at least 30 minutes in meditation at some point during the previous long rest centring himself.
At 14th level, a monk using the step of the wind ki ability gains the ability to fly for 1 round as the 14th level Eagle totem barbarian ability.
At 18th level you gain the Mystic Adept ability: Select three ability scores and increase them each by 2. Your maximum score in these abilities is now 22. This replaces the empty body ability.
At 19th level Monks may make 2 extra unarmed attacks as a single bonus action with their martial arts class feature, and may make 3 extra unarmed attacks with flurry of blows as a single bonus action (for 1 ki point).
A creature that successfully saves against stunning strike cannot be affected by it again for 24 hours.

Paladin

A Paladin must be of lawful good alignment to select the oath of devotion. He must be of any non-good alignment to select the oath of vengeance. He must be of any good alignment to select the oath of the ancients. He must be of any evil alignment to select the oath breaker oath. A paladin that violates this restriction loses access to spellcasting, divine smite, lay on hands and the benefits of his oath until he atones. Evil paladins inflict necrotic damage with any class feature or spell that ordinarily inflicts radiant damage.
Creatures whose individual challenge ratings exceed your paladin level have advantage on saves against the turn the unholy and turn the faithless class features. Creatures whose CR exceeds your paladin level by 5 or more are immune to the effect. Oath breaker paladins gain command unholy (as a cleric) at 3rd level instead of command undead.
At 1st level, Paladins gain the lesser divine smite ability: Once per long rest you may declare a successful melee attack to be a divine smite. You inflict an extra 1d8 radiant damage with this attack. When you reach second level, you lose this ability and gain divine smite in its place (see below)
Divine smite does not require a spell slot to use. It inflicts a fixed 2d8 damage at 2nd level, 3d8 damage at 5th level, 4d8 damage at 9th level, 5d8 damage at 13th level, and 6d8 damage at 17th level. The paladin can use divine smite twice per short rest. This increases to three times per short rest at 9th level, and four times per short rest at 19th level.
At 19th level, a paladin can use cleansing touch and lay on hands as a bonus action (Instead of an action), and may activate both abilities simultaneously with a single bonus action if desired.

Ranger

Rangers (and the rangers’ animal companion if any) gain advantage on attack rolls and on opposed ability checks against the rangers favored enemies.
At 9th level Rangers gain Expertise as a Bard.
At 13th level Rangers gain the improved critical ability, however this only functions against their favored enemies.
At 19th level Rangers gain extra attack (2).
The Foe Slayer ability gained at 20th level allows a Ranger to add their wisdom modifier to damage against favored enemies.

Rogue

Expertise also allows the rogue to select a skill that they are not proficient in from the class’s skill list and gain proficiency in that skill (instead of doubling the bonus).
You may only use sneak attack once per turn, on your turn.
At 13th level, a Rogue can use Uncanny dodge once per round without expending his reaction.
A Rogue who is already proficient in wisdom saves gains the expertise class feature again at 15th level instead of gaining slippery mind.
At 19th level Rogues gain Crippling strike: A creature that is damaged by your sneak attack must make a constitution saving throw (DC 8 + your dexterity or strength modifier + your proficiency bonus) or have disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks for 1 round. Undead and constructs are immune to this ability.

Warlock

Fiend pact and Great old one pact warlocks can be of any non-good alignment. Fey pact warlocks can be of any non-lawful alignment. A warlock that violates this restriction loses access to pact boon, invocations, his mystic arcanum and pact magic class features until he atones.
Invocations require a minimum warlock level to learn.
Warlocks can use mystic arcanum slots to cast enhanced warlock spells known via the pact magic class feature.
Change Eldritch master to ‘If you ever roll initiative and you have no warlock spell slots remaining from your pact magic class feature, you regain 1 spell slot’
Eldritch blast cantrip is now a single target attack roll (adding extra d10 damage at 5th, 11th and 17th level).
The Agonizing spear invocation allows you to add your warlock level to your damage with successful hits with Eldritch blast.
The Lifedrinker invocation now has a minimum warlock level of 11th. In addition to its normal benefit, each time you reduce a living creature with a CR of at least half your level to 0 hit points with your pact weapon, you may cast Haste (targeting only yourself) as a bonus action at the start of your next turn. Your pact weapon maintains concentration on this spell for you. The spell automatically ends if your pact weapon is dismissed or after 1 minute, whichever occurs first.
New invocation: Accursed blast. Prerequisite: Warlock level 5th. When you hit a creature with your eldritch blast and that creature is under the effects of a hex spell cast by you, you inflict an additional 1d6 points of necrotic damage. This damage increases to an extra 2d6 points of necrotic damage at 11th level, and an extra 3d6 points of necrotic damage at 17th level.
New invocation: Enhanced pact magic: Prerequisite: Warlock level 7th, Pact of the tome class feature. You gain an extra spell slot to use with your pact magic class feature.
New invocation: Improved familiar: Prerequisite: Warlock level 7th, Pact of the chain class feature. You may add your proficiency bonus to your familiars AC, attack rolls and damage rolls, as well as any saving throws or skills it is proficient in, and to the DC to save against any of its special abilities (such as poison). Its hit point maximum now equals its normal maximum or 4 times your warlock level whichever is higher. In addition, you can use a bonus action on your turn to direct your familiar to use one of its actions listed in its entry, the dodge action or the help action on its next turn.
New invocation: Grand Grimoire: Prerequisite: Warlock level 18th, pact of the tome class feature. When you select this invocation select 1 spell of each level 1-5 from your choice of one of the Bard, Druid, Sorcerer or Wizards spell list. These spells appear in your Tome of Shadows, and you add them to your list of spells known.
New invocation: Bladebound: Prerequisite: Warlock level 18th, pact of the blade class feature. Each time you reduce a living creature with a CR of at least half your level to zero hit points with your pact weapon, you may remove one level of exhaustion. If you have no levels of exhaustion, you may instead regain one expended warlock spell slot.
New invocation: Soul link: Prerequisite: Warlock level 18th, pact of the chain class feature. When you cast a Warlock spell of 5th level or lower that requires concentration, your familiar can maintain concentration that spell for you. Your familiar must be within 30 feet of you to maintain concentration and if it ever finishes its turn outside this radius the concentration immediately ends. Your familiar can only maintain concentration on a single spell for you at once.

Wizard

At 1st level, Wizards are proficient in Arcana and two other skills from their list.

New Feats

Tactical Leader
You are an expert at leading your allies to victory, directing their strikes against the most powerful enemies you face, and making sure they get into position swiftly. You gain the following benefits:

You gain + 1 to your Charisma Score to a maximum of 20.
If you take the Attack action on your turn and successfully deal damage to a creature with a melee attack, you can use the Help action as a bonus action on the same turn. The creature you Help must be adjacent to the creature you struck, and be able to see and hear you to receive this benefit.
You can use a bonus action on your turn to grant a creature the ability to move up to half its speed as a reaction. The creature must be within 30’ of you when you activate this ability and be able to see and hear you to move this way.

Aegis
Prerequisite: Protection fighting style
You have honed your ability to protect nearby allies. You gain the following benefits while you are using a shield:

When you activate your protection fighting style, all attacks directed at the target protected by you are at disadvantage until the start of your next turn.
You may activate your protection fighting style once per round without expending your reaction. You can still only protect one target per round.

Expert Bowman
Prerequisite: Proficiency in at least one of the Short bow or Longbow
You are an expert archer and fletcher and are capable of firing rapidly with your bow. You gain the following benefits:

You gain +1 to your dexterity score to a maximum of 20.
Whenever you take the Attack action with a long bow or shortbow and reduce a creature to zero hit points, or score a critical hit with such a weapon, you may make an additional ranged weapon attack with that weapon as a bonus action.
You gain proficiency in bowyer and fletching tools.

Combat Reflexes
Your reactions are honed to quickly take advantage when your foes let their guard down. You gain the following benefits:

You gain an extra reaction each round. This reaction can only be used to make an opportunity attack.
Your opportunity attacks with weapons, and any weapon attacks made with the sentinel or mage slayer feat, are made at advantage.

Brutal Thug
Prerequisite: Proficiency in intimidate, Strength 13 or greater
You are a vicious and terrifying opponent. You gain the following benefits:

You may perform a sneak attack with any weapon, not just ranged and finesse weapons.
You may use your Strength score instead of your Charisma score when making intimidate checks
When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon, you can attempt to frighten the creature struck as a bonus action on the same turn. The creature struck must make a wisdom save (DC 8 + Your Strength or Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus) or be frightened of you for 1 minute. The creature can attempt a new saving throw at the start of each of tis turns to remove the frightened condition. A creature that makes a successful save against this ability can’t be affected by it again for 24 hours.

Elemental Adept
You have a natural gift for a particular element, making you resistant to its damage, and able to call on its power easily. This element never bothered you anyway. You gain the following benefits:

You learn the firebolt cantrip, and can cast it at will as an action.
Choose one element out of cold, fire, lightning, thunder and acid. Whenever you cast a spell or use a class feature that deals damage of one of those types it instead deals damage of the type you chose when you selected this ability.
You have resistance to damage caused by the element you choose, and advantage on saving throws against attacks involving that element.

Agile duellist
Prerequisite: Dexterity 13 or greater
You have learnt to take advantage of your great agility in combat where other people cannot. You gain the following benefits:

You gain +1 to your AC when you are using a single finesse weapon in one hand and have your other hand free.
You may treat all melee weapons that do not have the two handed or heavy quality as if they had the finesse quality as long as you wield them.

Weapon Specialisation
Prerequisite: Fighter level 8 or greater
You have mastered the use of a single weapon. Select one weapon you are proficient in. You gain the following benefits whenever you wield your chosen weapon:

You gain +1 to hit with weapons of the type chosen.
You deal +1d6 points of weapon damage with weapons of the type chosen.
You have advantage on (strength) athletics checks against attempts to disarm you of your weapon.
You may spend 1 month of downtime to change the weapon you have chosen to specialise in to a different weapon. During this month, you lose the benefit of this feat.

Charger (errata)
You can use your momentum to deal devastating attacks. You gain the following benefit:

If you (or a mount you ride, and you forgo your other actions on your turn) use your action to Dash, you can make a melee weapon attack or a Shove attack as a bonus action at the conclusion of your movement. If you move at least 10’ in a straight line before making this attack, you deal an extra 2d6 weapon damage on a hit. Increase this damage by 1d6 for every extra attack you have from the extra attack class feature. If you instead choose to shove your opponent and are successful with the shove attempt, your opponent is pushed back 10’ and is knocked prone.

Hell knight
Prerequisite: Proficient in heavy armor, acceptance into a hellknight order, lawful alignment.

You gain +1 to either your Charisma or Strength score to a maximum of 20
While wearing heavy armor, you gain resistance to fire, advantage on saving throws to resist being charmed or frightened and darkvision out to 60’
While wearing heavy armor you have advantage on intimidate checks made against chaotic creatures and known criminals, and advantage on charisma (persuasion) checks against lawful fiends

Healer (errata)
Prerequisite: Proficiency in medicine

When you use a healers kit to stabilise a dying creature, it regains 1 hit point and does not gain a level of exhaustion
As an action you can expend one use of a healer’s kit to grant an adjacent creature a new saving throw against a poison or disease they are currently suffering from (at the same DC as the initial effect). Once you do so, you must wait until the creature has taken a long rest before attempting on that creature again.
As an action you can expend 1 use from a healer’s kit and restore a number of hit points to a wounded creature equal to (your wisdom modifier plus your proficiency bonus) plus 1 extra point for every hit dice the creature has. Once you do so, you must wait until after a short rest before attempting on that creature again.
You may expend 1 use of a healers kit to treat a lingering injury. The healing time for the injury is reduced by a number of days equal to the result your wisdom (medicine) check exceeds DC 10, to a minimum of one day.

Powerful build
Prerequisite: Strength 13 or higher

You gain +1 to your Strength score to a maximum of 20
You can use the two handed damage dice of versatile weapons when you use them one handed. If you use them two handed, you may increase the damage dice by 1 step.
You have advantage on strength (athletics) checks to grapple or shove any opponent your size or smaller

Pistolero
Prerequisite: Proficient in firearms

Being within 5’ of a hostile creature doesn’t impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls
When you use the attack action and attack with a one handed firearm, you can attack with a one handed firearm or a melee weapon that you wield in your off hand as a bonus action
When a foe provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can make your opportunity attack with any loaded one handed firearm you are holding.

Gunslinger

You gain proficiency in firearms and gunsmithing tools
On your turn, if you spend a bonus action to aim, your first ranged attack with a firearm this turn has advantage. You cannot move before or after this attack to gain this benefit. Aiming provokes an attack of opportunity from any foe that can reach you.
You obtain a battered firearm; either a musket or a pistol. If you ever roll a natural 1, 2, 3 or 4 on an attack roll when firing this weapon, it misfires requiring an action to clear. You can spend 1 week of downtime and gp equal to half the price of the weapon to remove this last property from the firearm.

Skill focus

You have exceptional skill in a particular area. Select one skill or tool proficiency you are proficient in. You gain the following benefits:

You double your proficiency bonus with that skill or tool proficiency
You add +1 to the statistic that governs that skill or tool, to a maximum of 20.

Chaneller
Prerequisite: Ability to cast spells

You gain +1 to your Charisma, Wisdom or Intelligence score to a maximum of 20
Whenever you are required to expend a fifth level or lower spell slot, you can choose not to expend the spell slot. If you choose not to expend the slot, you instead gain one level of exhaustion. You cannot use this ability if you currently have three or more levels of exhaustion.

Metamagician
Prerequisite: Ability to cast spells

You have one sorcery point. You may add this sorcery point to any sorcery points you already have. You recover spent sorcery points on a long rest.
You know one metamagic option of your choice from the list available to sorcerers on page 102 of the PHB. You can spend your sorcery point on this or any other metamagic option you know.
As a bonus action on your turn, you can expend any one spell slot and gain extra sorcery points equal to the level of the spell slot expended.

Weapon Kata
Prerequisite: Martial arts class feature

You gain proficiency in any one melee weapon aside from the lance
Select one melee weapon aside from the lance that you are proficient in. You may treat this weapon as a monk weapon. If the weapon has the heavy or two handed property, you can no longer use your dexterity modifier instead of your strength modifier when you use your martial arts class feature.
If your unarmed strikes count as magical attacks, so do your strikes with monk weapons
You deal an extra 2 points of damage with each successful attack with a monk weapon.
If you wield two manufactured monk weapons at the same time, you may add +1 to your AC.

Durable (errata)

You gain +1 to your constitution score to a maximum of 20
Whenever you roll hit dice to regain hit points, the results of the dice are maximised.
When you roll on the lingering injuries chart, you may roll twice and take either result.

Grappler
Prerequisite: proficiency in the athletics skill, proficiency in unarmed strike

You have advantage on attack rolls against a creature you are grappling
You can use your action to try to pin a creature grappled by you. To do so, make another strength (athletics) check opposed by either the strength (athletics) or dexterity (acrobatics) of the creature you are grappling. If you succeed, you and the creature are both restrained until the grapple ends. At your option, you may stop a creature you restrain in this manner from speaking.
If you hit a creature with an unarmed strike on your turn, you can use your bonus action to attempt to grapple the creature
You can attempt to escape a grapple or a pin as a bonus action on your turn.

Brawler (tavern brawler errata)

You gain +1 to your strength score to a maximum of 20
You are proficient with unarmed strikes and improvised weapons
Your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 points of damage
If you hit a creature with a melee attack on your turn, you can use your bonus action to attack the same creature with an improvised weapon (such as your weapons pommel or your shield) or an unarmed strike on your turn.

Self-assured

When you spend a point of inspiration, you gain advantage on all d20 rolls you make until the start of your next turn. Alternatively you may choose to expend your inspiration and reroll any one d20 you have just rolled.

Seductive

You add +1 to your Charisma to a maximum of 20.
You have advantage on Charisma (persuasion) and (deception) checks when used against creatures that are sexually attracted to you.

Polearm master (errata)

When you take the attack action and attack with a quarterstaff, spear, trident, glaive, or halberd two handed, you may make an additional attack with the butt of the weapon as a bonus action on your turn. This attack inflicts 1d4 bludgeoning damage. If you use a glaive or halberd, you can instead inflict piercing damage (using the spike on the tip of the weapon). You may add your strength modifier to the attack and damage rolls with this attack, and you are considered proficient in it.
If you are armed with a spear, trident, pike, halberd or glaive, you may use your action to set the weapon against a charge. Until the start of your next turn, you may use your reaction to make an opportunity attack against a creature that enters your reach. If you successfully strike a creature with this opportunity attack you deal an extra 2d6 points of weapon damage. This increases to an extra 1d6 for each additional attack you can make with the extra attack class feature.
You inflict 1d12 base damage with a pike.
When armed with a quarterstaff and using it two handed you gain +1 to your AC

Artificer

You gain +1 to your intelligence score to a maximum of 20
If you focus on a single magic item during a short rest, at the end of the short rest you learn the items properties as well as how to use it, as if you had cast an identify spell.
When making magical items (aside from potions and scrolls) during downtime, you may work at a rate of 100gp per day

Alchemist

You gain proficiency in the alchemist kit
When using downtime to craft potions, you may work at the rate of 25gp per day
As an action, you may identify potions without an intelligence (arcana) check by tasting them.
When you mix two or more potions together and roll on the potion miscibility chart, you may roll twice and take either result

Carouser

You add +1 to either your charisma or constitution score to a maximum of 20
When you roll on the carousing table, you may roll twice and take either result.
You have advantage on charisma checks in any area where your carousing has become the subject of local legend, and your audience is likely to be impressed by your carousing ability.
You have advantage on any constitution checks or constitution saving throws related to alcohol consumption.

Master Craftsman
Prerequisite: proficiency in at least one set of artisans tools

Select one set of artisans tools you are proficient in. You may double your proficiency bonus when using those tools. When crafting items during downtime using those tools, you may work at the rate of 25 gp per day. If the item is a weapon, tool or armor, you may also attempt to craft a masterwork version of the item.
When practicing your profession during downtime you can maintain a comfortable lifestyle.
When using the artisans tools you choose when you selected this feat, you may make wondrous items and magical weapons and armor, without needing to be a spellcaster. Your DM has the final say on what you can make with this ability.
You may add your proficiency bonus on intelligence checks made to determine the value of items you could normally make with your artisans tools.

Fast learner

You add +1 to your intelligence score up to a maximum of 20
When training to learn a new language or proficiency, you halve the time required.

Master Herbalist
Prerequisite: proficiency in the herbalism kit

You gain +1 to your wisdom score to a maximum of 20
When using a herbalism kit to craft potions of healing, your potions are enhanced and always heal the maximum amount.
When using downtime to craft potions of healing or antitoxin, you may work at the rate of 25gp per day

Words of power
Prerequisite: ability to cast spells

When scribing a protection or spell scroll, you may work at the rate of 25gp per day
As an action, you can identify a scroll by reading it without needing to make an arcana check

Sharpshooter (errata)

Attacking at long range doesn’t impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attack rolls.
You ignore disadvantage for firing into melee with ranged and thrown weapon attacks
Before you make an attack roll with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with and you weild in two hands, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll and gain a +10 bonus to the damage roll on a successful hit.

Martial adept (errata)

As written but now grants 2 superiority dice.

Spell sniper (errata)

As written but you now ignore disadvantage for firing into melee with spell attacks instead of ignoring cover.

Burden to bear

You add +1 to your strength score to a maximum score of 20
Your speed is not reduced due to being encumbered
You automatically pass constitution checks to sleep in armor and gain advantage on constitution saves to resist exhaustion from forced marches.

Dual wielding mastery
Prerequisite: dual wielder feat, two weapon fighting style, proficiency bonus +4

You gain +1 to your dexterity or strength score to a maximum of 20
You can make two attacks with your off hand as a single bonus action when fighting with two weapons

Open hand mastery
Prerequisite: Martial arts class feature

You increase your damage dice for unarmed attacks by one step. This only applies when you are not wielding any weapons.
You deal double damage to objects with unarmed strikes.
If you are unarmed, and a creature no more than one size larger than you misses you with a melee attack, you may use your reaction to attempt to grapple or shove the creature.
If you are unarmed and unarmoured, you may add +1 to your AC

Conditions errata

Grappled

A grappled creatures speed becomes 0 and it can’t benefit from any bonus to its speed. A grappled creature can attempt to move at half speed (taking all creatures in the grapple with it) by first making an opposed strength (athletics) check against the creature grappling it (no action required). If you fail this check, you cannot move on your turn.
A grappled creature has disadvantage on attack rolls unless the attack is made with a light weapon, natural attack or a one handed firearm. Weapons with the loading quality cannot be reloaded in a grapple.
A grappled creature cannot cast spells with somatic or material components unless it first succeeds in an opposed strength (athletics) check with the creature grappling it as part of the same action used to cast the spell (bonus, action or reaction). On a failed check, the action is used, but the spell is not cast and the spell slot is not expended. A creature with the war caster feat ignores this restriction.
A grappled creature can use its action to escape the grapple by making either a strength (athletics) or dexterity (acrobatics) check opposed by the strength (athletics) check of the grappling creature. The grappled condition also ends if all other grapplers become incapacitated or if some effect removes the grappled creature from the reach of the grappler or grappling effect.

Restrained

A restrained creatures speed becomes 0 and it can’t benefit from any bonus to its speed.
Attack rolls against the creature have advantage
The only physical action a restrained creature can take is to attempt to break or escape the effect that restrains it. As an action make a strength (athletics) or dexterity (acrobatics) check opposed by the highest strength (athletics) checks of the creature restraining you, or against a fixed DC determined by the strength and quality of your restraints (determined by the DM). The restrained condition also ends if all creatures restraining you become incapacitated or if some effect removes you from the reach of the creatures or effect that restrains you.
A restrained creature can also talk and cast spells that lacks somatic and material components unless the creature is gagged or otherwise restrained from speaking.

Prone

A prone creature can only crawl (at half speed) unless it uses half its movement to stand up.
Standing up takes half movement and provokes an attack of opportunity. You may attempt to avoid provoking attacks of opportunity when standing by making a DC 15 dexterity (acrobatics) check.

Poisoned
A poisoned creature has disadvantage on all attack rolls and ability checks and must make a constitution saving throw (DC10+Spell level) to successfully cast a spell. On a failure, the spell slot is wasted, and the spell fails to take effect

Equipment
A creature that has disadvantage on dexterity (stealth) checks due to wearing encumbering armor also has disadvantage on dexterity (acrobatics) checks. A creature has disadvantage on Athetics checks made to swim while wearing medium armor, and cannot swim at all in heavy armor. Armor for small creatures weighs half as much as medium armor (but costs the same). A medium character can use a small shield (but not other small armor) but only gets a +1 to AC if he does so.

Tridents are now 1d8, versatile (1d10) weapons

Masterwork equipment

Masterwork weapons add +1 to the damage dealt on a successful hit and cost 500 gp more than normal weapons.
If you wear masterwork armor or wield a masterwork shield, as a reaction, you may negate the first critical hit you suffer once per long rest (when you have enough to time to make minor repairs to your armor). The hit is instead treated like a normal hit. Masterwork armor and shields cost 500gp more than normal armour and shields.
If you have masterwork tools, then once per long rest you may declare you have the right tool for the job. You gain advantage on the next check you make with those tools. Masterwork tools cost 500gp more than normal tools.

A powder horn contains enough gunpowder for 20 shots.

Adventuring
A short rest is an abstract period of time from five minutes to an hour; generally you cannot benefit from more than two or three short rests per long rest, and cannot benefit from more than one long rest per day.

Encumbrance is in. A heavily encumbered character cannot cast spells with somatic components. A dwarf’s speed is not reduced by being encumbered.

If you sleep in medium armor, you gain a level of exhaustion upon waking unless you succeed in a DC10 Constitution check. If you sleep in heavy armor, you gain a level of exhaustion unless you succeed in a DC15 Constitution check.

Combat:
Moving out of a creatures threatened square now provokes at attack of opportunity from that creature (unless you first take the disengage action, or have the mobile feat and attacked that creature on your turn).

Diagonal movement is in.

Critical hits: Critical hits always hit and deal double damage. If you have a feature that allows you to roll additional damage on a critical hit (such as the brutal critical class feature or the savage attacks racial trait) roll and add this extra damage after doubling the base attacks damage.

Retrieve an object: As an action or bonus action you may pick up an object that you are capable of lifting and that is within your reach, but is either on the ground, or is on your person but is securely stowed away (such as in a backpack). This action provokes an attack of opportunity. A Rogue (Thief) with the Fast hands class feature may use this action without drawing an attack of opportunity.

Flanking, Climb onto a creature, Disarm, Tumble, overrun and shove aside are all available options.

All creatures involved in a grapple have the grappled condition.

Creatures that are larger than you have advantage on strength (athletics) checks to resist your grapple, overrun, shove aside and shove attempts, and creatures that are exceptionally stable (such as having multiple sets of legs) also have advantage on strength (athletics) checks to resist being shoved or shoved aside.

If you make a ranged attack (spell or weapon) at a creature, and an ally of yours is adjacent to it, you attack at disadvantage.

Healing and damage
Slow natural healing (PC’s only recover half expended hit dice back after a long rest – round up) and no HP.

Whenever a creature is reduced to 0 hit points and not killed outright, it can choose to remain on 1 hit point and instead suffer a lingering injury. Once a creature uses this option, it cannot use it again until after it has completed a short or long rest.

When damage reduces you to zero hit points, and there is damage remaining, you die if the remaining damage equals or exceeds a number equal to half your hit point maximum, or your constitution score, whichever is higher.

A creature reduced to zero hit points and not killed outright gains a level of exhaustion once brought back to positive hit points.

Magic items

Magic items can only be identified via the identify spell or experimentation. A DC (10+spell level) intelligence (arcana) check identifies scrolls, and a DC 10 intelligence (arcana) check identifies potions. You may retry after a long rest.

Potions and scrolls are treated as one level lower in rarity for the cost to make (in gp) during down time. Common potions and scrolls become ‘very common’ and cost 25 gp to create.

A formula for an item reduces the time and money needed to create the item by half. Formulas have the same availability but cost half as much as the item they detail.

Mithril armor weighs half as much and never imposes disadvantage on stealth or acrobatics checks, It is treated as one size lighter for the purposes of swiming in the armor.

Training
You may train to gain proficiency in a single weapon, tool, skill or language. This takes 250 days (at 2 gp per day) and requires a DC 10 Intelligence check at the completion of your training. If you fail the check, you waste the time and money, but do not gain the proficiency. After a further 50 days of training (at the same cost), you can try again.

Monsters
A monster can expend a use of its legendary resistance to automatically succeed at an opposed ability check it has just failed.

Mr.Moron
2015-04-30, 09:25 AM
Also If I had a character that wanted to grappling or the like as a main thrust, I'd replace the current contest rules with this.

When the player decides to grapple/shove/etc in place of an attack:

The defender their choice of a STR or DEX saving throw against the attackers DC of: 8 + attribute modifier + prof bonus, where "Attribute Bonus" is the higher of the attackers STR or DEX modifier. Presumably you can record this number somewhere on the character sheet as like "Combat Contest DC" or something.

If the defender is larger they have advantage on the save.
If the defender is smaller they have disadvantage on the save.

Demonic Spoon
2015-04-30, 09:39 AM
I created a homebrew "tend wounds" use for the Medicine skill that allows you to maximize hit dice on a short rest.

Banned Observant feat - Passive checks are a DM tool that can be applied at will (aside from stealth), and the idea of me making a player's build choice either worthless or overpowered depending on how I happen to use passive checks doesn't sit right with me.

Moon druids don't get CR 1 forms until level 4. Prior, they get CR 1/2 forms.

Malifice
2015-04-30, 10:19 AM
I should also add for my house rules the following rule:

A creature that does not otherwise move can take a 5' step as a bonus action on their turn. This movement does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

This allows for the breaking of flanking, and more mobile combats.

I'll then add the following dot point for the Mage slayer feat:

When a creature within 5' of you takes a 5' step away from you, it cannot cast a spell for the remainder of its turn.

Jamesps
2015-04-30, 11:52 AM

I really like that, I might have to steal it.

I only use one house rule in my game for group checks. It's meant to avoid near auto-successes and auto-fails due to group activities.

*If the group needs to make a check and everyone has to succeed for it to work, then the worst person in the party makes the check.

*If the group needs to make a check, and only one person needs a success then the best person makes the check.

*If the group needs to make a check, and they can all cooperate towards it then the best person makes the check, and they get advantage if anyone else has the skill.

This takes away a lot of the certain failures and certain successes that come with just rolling a whole bunch of d20s due to group size. It also makes formal training slightly more important, as even those with low bonuses can contribute to cooperative efforts if they have a skill in question.

Ralanr
2015-04-30, 12:07 PM
We are currently experimenting with giving our Dragonborn the random 5 or 6 on a d6 recharge for his breath weapon.

It doesn't seem out of line so far.

Love to see how this goes.

I don't remember all of my table's rules. But a few are as follows:

Anyone can get expertise, though outside of a class ability like Rogue or Bard you can only get expertise if you have two sources that give permanent proficiency for that skill. Basically you either have two different skills, or you have one expertise skill. If you choose stealth from a class list and your background gives stealth, you can replace it or have expertise.

If an player has another player behind someone he is attacking, the opponent is flanked. (I don't remember much on flanking)

If you take a level in another class, you may choose to swap one of your saving throw proficiencies for one that the class gives. You can only do this once, you cannot do it again if you take a level in another class after this. (I don't like this rule, but its benefits haven't really come up.)

You can roll insight to figure out what some stats on the monster are. (Don't know how I feel about this one. Makes insight much better, but insight is wis based. I might ask my DM to swap it to investigation so we use an int skill more)

Fralex
2015-04-30, 03:27 PM
If a dragon sorcerer is a dragonborn, their breath weapon is considered a spell for the purposes of Elemental Affinity.

Alchemical items are crafted 25gp per day.
Alchemist's fire deals 1d8 fire damage on a hit, and 1d6 fire damage at the start of the target's turns.
Alchemists can also craft these items:
Alchemist's Spark: Utilized like Fire variant, but deals 3d4 lightning damage on a hit. Also on a hit, all creatures within 5 feet of the target take the same amount of damage, or half as much on a successful DC 10 Dexterity saving throw. Creatures wearing armor made of metal have disadvantage on the save. (50 gp)

Alchemist's Frost: Utilized like Fire variant, but deals 4d4 cold damage and slows the target for one minute on a hit. While slowed, all of target's speeds are reduced by 15 feet and any bonuses to speed are suppressed. It may end the effect early by using its action to successfully make a DC 10 Strength check. (50 gp)

Thunderstone: Can be thrown at a point within 60 feet as an action, where it smashes. When smashed, all creatures within 10 feet of it take 1d8 thunder damage, or half that damage on a successful DC 10 Constitution saving throw. Any creature that fails the save is also deafened for 1 minute, or until they receive any magical healing. (50 gp)

Aura Bomb: A flask of luminous swamp gas and ground foxfire. As an action, throw it at a point within 60 feet to outline everything within 10 feet in harmless ghostly flames. All objects in the area, as well as creatures in the area that fail a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw, are affected as if by the faerie fire spell, but the effect is not magical and only lasts until the end of your next turn. (40 gp)

Fortifying Tincture: This is a simple herbal tonic designed to improve one aspect of your physical capabilities for 10 minutes after drinking. A fortifying tincture can be brewed to boost either Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution. While under its effects, whenever you make a saving throw or ability check with the designated ability, you roll a d4 and add it to the d20 roll. Drinking another tincture while still under the effects of a previous one will cause the previous one's effects to end early. This concoction can be brewed with either alchemist's supplies or an herbalism kit. (30 gp)

Smokestick: As an action, you can snap the end off this short, wooden rod to spark an alchemical reaction. When broken, thick, gray smoke billows steadily out of it, heavily obscuring the area within a 10-foot radius in a matter of seconds. The smoke doesn't rise or sink, but it disperses on its own after 1 minute. Moderately fast wind (at least 10 mph) disperses the cloud early. The stick is too light to be thrown farther than 20 feet on its own. (20 gp)

Fine Ink: Ink of a very high quality, suitable for paying the material cost of magical procedures such as the scribing of scrolls. Can be made in any color, including gold and silver. Can also be made invisible, in which case the writing can be revealed through heat exposure or something acidic like citrus. (50 gp)

Gunpowder: A powder horn containing 30 ounces of gunpowder. (20 gp)

Holy Water: A flask of holy water as described in the PHB. (25 gp)

And follow these rules:
Like all improvised weapons, alchemical weapons requiring attack rolls can also be thrown as far away as 60 feet, but aiming at anything further away than 20 feet imposes disadvantage on the attack roll.

Increase the DCs of saving throws and ability checks called for by alchemical items by the Intelligence modifier of the creator. +2 or +3 is a typical amount for alchemists selling their wares.

A character proficient with alchemist's supplies can attempt to empower any alchemical item by very carefully fusing the essences of two identical items into a single compound. Doing so requires an hour of work and a successful DC 16 Intelligence check. On a failure, both items are ruined. On a success, the item's potency increases twofold. All attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks still occur as normal, but any effects it will have on its target (damage, stat boosts, etc.) are applied twice, and their durations are doubled. In addition, the DC for any saving throw or ability check the new item calls for is equal to the higher of the two combined items' DCs, plus two (for example, combining a DC 11 item and a DC 13 item will create a DC 15 item). An already-empowered alchemical item cannot be empowered again.
Loading a firearm requires the insertion of both a bullet and an ounce of gunpowder. A character possessing a powder horn of gunpowder is considered to have enough doses for three combat-heavy adventuring days, or six combat-light adventuring days (don't count days in which no combat takes place).

Shining Wrath
2015-04-30, 04:22 PM
I have some that are lactose intolerance - e.g., there is, in the entire multiverse, exactly one Simulacrum of a creature, and a Simulacrum of a Simulacrum counts as a Simulacrum of the original creature.

Some of the more amusing ones (IMNHO):

Any divination spell which contacts divine entities contacts a divinity corresponding to your alignment. And the entity contacted does NOT have to tell you the truth, and may not know the answer at all. CE diviners, good luck getting straight answers from demon princes.
I allow rangers to learn new Favored Enemies / Terrains for the usual 250 GP & 250 days study.
There has never been a single dominant empire; hence, there is no language called Common. Humans are the plurality but are only 25%, more or less, of the speaking creatures. Humans speak ... Human. There's a language called Trade Talk which will let you buy a beer, or even a sword, but no one writes scrolls or learned tomes in Trade Talk.
Different nations have different ideas about logical coinage. Dwarves like all their coins the same size; Gnomes, the same weight; Humans and Halflings use the 10-10-10-10 ratio from the book, while Elves (per Tolkien) like 12's and use a 12-12-12-12 ratio. For the relative values per ounce of copper, silver, and gold, I used the values of Elizabethan British coins and came up with approximate values of silver is worth 15x copper, gold is worth 12x silver.

Ramshack
2015-04-30, 04:59 PM
Wow we only play with a few house rules.

Primarily everyone starts with a feat and we remove the variant human option. (everyone just picked human for the feat otherwise)

Sometimes we allow characters to mix and match class features from differen't archtypes of the same class and equal level. For instance, our path of nature paladin liked a different channel divinity option from the path of devotion so we allowed her to switch.

We've also allowed Home Brew Races and Classes before.

But we normally don't mess with core rules

Flashy
2015-04-30, 05:58 PM
My group doesn't have many.

The two main ones are the (surprisingly common) everyone-gets-a-free-feat-no-variant-human thing and requiring proficiency in a knowledge skill in order to be able to roll it.

Malifice
2015-04-30, 06:08 PM
My group doesn't have many.

The two main ones are the (surprisingly common) everyone-gets-a-free-feat-no-variant-human thing and requiring proficiency in a knowledge skill in order to be able to roll it.

Out of curiosity, what do Intelligence 18 people know who dont have knowledge skills?

Like they cant identify things in nature, gods, arcana, history and so forth?

zeek0
2015-04-30, 06:15 PM
While I have not set up my game as of yet, these are the ones I have in mind:

Creatures one size category larger have advantage on opposed Strength (Athletics) grapple checks
Animals and Magical Beasts have proficiency in athletics or acrobatics
Only Warlock levels count towards level requirements for invocations.
Eldritch Blast is now a class ability at first level.
Warlocks get one additional invocation at first level.
When druids shift back into their normal form, they take half of the damage that they took when they were in their wildshape.

Safety Sword
2015-04-30, 08:33 PM
Primarily everyone starts with a feat and we remove the variant human option. (everyone just picked human for the feat otherwise)

So I'm guessing you don't have any humans in your games?

For most classes +1 to every score is vastly inferior to many of the racial features which have some synergy?

ChubbyRain
2015-04-30, 10:49 PM
I have a few that I'm implementing in my next campaign.

1: There is no such thing as anti-magic or null magic. Dispelling and counterspell works as normal but there is no way to full suppress or null magic.

Magic is just part of reality and it takes a deity to anti-magic/null magic. It can not be the avatar if a deity, it must ve the real deal. Illusions can make you think you can't cast spells or you list your ability to do so but an Int save will fix that.

2: Additional ability score "Inspiration". A number of times per short or long rest equal to Inspiration modifier (minimum 1) you may gain advantage on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.

This replaces the current inspiration system because way many DMs forget to give inspiration when a player is using their background, ideals, bonds, or flaws.

3: Sorcerers may choose any spell list they wish as their spells list for levels 1 - 9 but still gain their sorcerer cantrip list.

Malifice
2015-04-30, 11:01 PM
I have a few that I'm implementing in my next campaign.

1: There is no such thing as anti-magic or null magic. Dispelling and counterspell works as normal but there is no way to full suppress or null magic.

Considering your gripes with the power level of full casters, this is an unexpected buff to the casters.

Illusions can make you think you can't cast spells or you list your ability to do so but an Int save will fix that.

Wouldn't this be an enchantment effect?

2: Additional ability score "Inspiration". A number of times per short or long rest equal to Inspiration modifier (minimum 1) you may gain advantage on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw.

This replaces the current inspiration system because way many DMs forget to give inspiration when a player is using their background, ideals, bonds, or flaws.

Why dont you just let players award it - subject to DM veto?

3: Sorcerers may choose any spell list they wish as their spells list for levels 1 - 9 but still gain their sorcerer cantrip list.

See point 1, above.

What buffs do you give martials? You often bemoan their lack of power, yet your buffs seem mainly directed at the casters.

ChubbyRain
2015-04-30, 11:21 PM
Considering your gripes with the power level of full casters, this is an unexpected buff to the casters.

Wouldn't this be an enchantment effect?

See point 1, above.

What buffs do you give martials? You often bemoan their lack of power, yet your buffs seem mainly directed at the casters.

I love playing casters and DMing casters. I don't hate casters, I hate how horribly designed noncasters are. I think so far everyone is playing a caster of sorts in the upcoming game because playing noncasters past level 10 is a waste of time. We are starting at level 10.

Probably, I was thinking an illusion of a caster that kept casting counter spell that making your spells fail. Enchantment can also work.

Because DMs screw the hell up way to much. In AL play and in home games way to many DMs just forget about awarding inspiration or forget what their player's backgrounds and stuff is. Plus I and my friends hate feeling like a whinny baby saying "do I get inspiration for this". The addition of an ability score will allow someone to dictate how awesome they are. We may adjust the number of inspiration you get or may adjust it to only a long rest but leaving it in the hands of DMs is a huge mistake.

Sorcerers get a huge bad end of the stick. They are the wizard little brother again and this fixes it. You get sorcerer cantrips and then spell list 1 - 9 of any class (well except warlock). This gives the Sorcerer an identity.

Right now we aren't giving any buffs to martials because it will take to much effort to bring them up to speed. Barbarians, Fighters, and Rogues just aren't made to go past level 10. I think one player might bring in a Noble Half-Orc Champion Fighter 3/Wild Magic Sorcerer 7 and go Gish and another will be some sort of cleric.

Back on the anti-magic, another reason why we are looking at this is to see if the threat of anti magic is even needed in D&D. If you got rid of that would playing a caster be any different? If you don't dve that then you can make martials more powerful.

We eventually will look into housetules that do increase martial abilities but for now we just don't want to specifically deal with them.

calebrus
2015-04-30, 11:44 PM
leaving it in the hands of DMs is a huge mistake.

Yeah, heaven forbid the person running the game and adjudicating things be the one to decide if someone is role playing well. I should be the one to decide if I am role playing well, and I say that I am, so I have Inspiration.

ChubbyRain
2015-04-30, 11:52 PM
Yeah, heaven forbid the person running the game and adjudicating things be the one to decide if someone is role playing well. I should be the one to decide if I am role playing well, and I say that I am, so I have Inspiration.

Problem is that DMs have to much on their plate already.

This leads to some players either having to feel like they must beg for insoiration when they are roleplaying their player perfectly or it leads to the DM being unfair (not always on purpose) to some players and not the others.

Then we have jerk DMs who think they need to to control player characters instead of letting the player control them.

This allows a simple mechanic to be in the control of the player who can use it as they want it so many times per short or long rest.

Because the game isn't all about the whims of a DM but about everyone sitting at the table together.

People need to get it through their heads, the DM is not always right and it isn't just their game. The game belongs to everyone sitting down and taking time out of their lives to have fun.

People put way to much stock in the term master in dungeon master.

AmbientRaven
2015-05-01, 12:02 AM

I always have inspiration, every thing i say and do is perfect rp!!!

For inspiration I, as a DM, allow other players to point out when they think a player is doing good RP (if i agree they get inspiration, if i dont BL), or, I award it as per normal.
In my eyes a player should never control when they get it, it should be a reward for RP, not for a player to give them selves.
Thats like being at university and giving yourself top grades.

calebrus
2015-05-01, 12:13 AM
I always have inspiration, every thing i say and do is perfect rp!!!

For inspiration I, as a DM, allow other players to point out when they think a player is doing good RP (if i agree they get inspiration, if i dont BL), or, I award it as per normal.
In my eyes a player should never control when they get it, it should be a reward for RP, not for a player to give them selves.
Thats like being at university and giving yourself top grades.

I usually hand out three or four points per session.
At the end of the session, each player chooses one player other than themselves (via blind vote) which they feel deserves it the most for the session as a whole, and those points are allocated for the next session.
A player can have as many points as they can accumulate from other players, and only one point from the DM at any given time.
If you want another point from the DM, you need to spend yours (or give it to someone else) and then earn another.

I use poker chips for a visual cue, so I remember to hand it out and so players remember they have it to spend.
Blue for DM granted Inspiration, white for player granted Inspiration, green for Bardic Inspiration.

AgentPaper
2015-05-01, 12:14 AM
Only Warlock levels count towards level requirements for invocations.

Just a note, this isn't actually a house rule, that's how it works by RAW. Whenever there is a reference to levels in class descriptions, it is assumed that it is talking about levels in that class, and there is no reason to think that warlock invocations are an exception.

Malifice
2015-05-01, 01:03 AM
Problem is that DMs have to much on their plate already.

This leads to some players either having to feel like they must beg for insoiration when they are roleplaying their player perfectly or it leads to the DM being unfair (not always on purpose) to some players and not the others.

Then we have jerk DMs who think they need to to control player characters instead of letting the player control them.

This allows a simple mechanic to be in the control of the player who can use it as they want it so many times per short or long rest.

Because the game isn't all about the whims of a DM but about everyone sitting at the table together.

People need to get it through their heads, the DM is not always right and it isn't just their game. The game belongs to everyone sitting down and taking time out of their lives to have fun.

People put way to much stock in the term master in dungeon master.

Man, we play totally different games.

It's no differnt to having a game of backyard cricket (or baseball) with yoir mates and not respecting (and laughing off) the umpiring calls of the buddy of yours who gives you out LBW (or struck out for my American friends).

He applies the rule, makes a judgement call and the game goes on. Sometimes he gets it right, sometimes he gets it wrong. **** happens. If you let it ruin your fun then you're missing out on a major experience of DND.

Of course the DM is more that just a ref in DND. He also guides the story withoit intruding and is largely responsible for challenging the players and ensuring the game is a good one. In this latter respect he doesn't just umpire the game, but he also sets the fixture and prepares the match ups, and has responsibility not just for a well umpired game, but also an interesting and enjoyable one.

It's almost like you secretly want your DM to be some kind of computer program, that only ever does the former to perfection and never bothers with the latter.

It's just an alien concept to me.

calebrus
2015-05-01, 01:09 AM
It's just an alien concept to me.

I know.
But that's the mindset that 3e & 4e brought about. Players that didn't grow up playing 2e (or basically *any* other TTRPG in existence) feel entitled and empowered, and think that any time the GM has control of anything it's going to go down the toilet.
Earlier editions were about DM empowerment. 3e & 4e were about player empowerment. 5e returns to the earlier style of DM empowerment, and the 3e/4e players despise it. They don't want to give up an ounce of control about absolutely anything.
They'll scream "I decide what MY character does!"
Umm.... no, you don't. You decide what your character attempts. That isn't the same thing.

Ralanr
2015-05-01, 03:23 AM
Another house rule: Trance works as a long rest.

Because if it didn't then what's the point of having trance. -_-

calebrus
2015-05-01, 03:28 AM
Another house rule: Trance works as a long rest.

Because if it didn't then what's the point of having trance. -_-

That's a very common house rule I would imagine.
Just for the record though, the point of Trance is that an elf in the party can be on watch half the night, leaving the rest of the party to get a better night's rest without as much interruption.

Ralanr
2015-05-01, 03:33 AM
That's a very common house rule I would imagine.
Just for the record though, the point of Trance is that an elf in the party can be on watch half the night, leaving the rest of the party to get a better night's rest without as much interruption.

I know. I explained that. But DM overruled.

Tvtyrant
2015-05-01, 03:42 AM
Ported 4E psionics into 5E, basically At-Will powers (now psionic cantrips) with augmentation for powers. Melee attacks use strength instead of mental stats, Psion is basically the same. The Dailies are replaced with 1 per day use of one, then 2 per day after level 10.

Jermz
2015-05-01, 06:54 AM
My House rules:

Expert Bowman
Prerequisite: Proficiency in at least one of the Short bow or Longbow
You are an expert archer and fletcher and are capable of firing rapidly with your bow. You gain the following benefits:

You gain +1 to your dexterity score to a maximum of 20.
Whenever you take the Attack action with a long bow or shortbow and reduce a creature to zero hit points, or score a critical hit with such a weapon, you may make an additional ranged weapon attack with that weapon as a bonus action.
You gain proficiency in bowyer and fletching tools.

Wouldn't this make Assassin Rogues pretty powerful? Especially if they're attacking first in a round from hide/surprise - would they get an unlimited amount of shots, assuming each one dropped a creature?

ThePrez1776
2015-05-01, 08:41 AM
Wouldn't this make Assassin Rogues pretty powerful? Especially if they're attacking first in a round from hide/surprise - would they get an unlimited amount of shots, assuming each one dropped a creature?

No, they would not. It specifies that one gets the extra shot as a bonus action, not a free action. Since you only get one bonus action per round, you only get one extra shot per round. It's like if you Melf's Minute Meteors, where you throw meteors as a bonus action. You don't get to throw all your meteors, because you only have one bonus action in a round. Make sense?

Lost in Hyrule
2015-05-01, 08:44 AM
Mostly, we've done stuff by the book. I am preparing to DM soon, and a few houserules have been put in place.

-Roll an Ability Score pool, then assign freely, but a max of 15 before racial bonuses. (Reasoning being, a fresh adventurer from a mid-sized village probably shouldn't be the strongest man in the world on day 1)

-Offensive spells that use fire must be refluffed to something else when you acquire them. (Setting specific in a big way!)

-Buffed multiclass casters. I found it strange that EK10/AT10 has fewer spellslots than EK20. So now, for calculating effective level, you take CEIL(FullCasterLevel + HalfCasterLevel/2 + ThirdCasterLevel/3). I especially like that putting in a single class into the formula gets you the correct effective caster level, as opposed to the default calculation.

ChubbyRain
2015-05-01, 08:50 AM
I know.
But that's the mindset that 3e & 4e brought about. Players that didn't grow up playing 2e (or basically *any* other TTRPG in existence) feel entitled and empowered, and think that any time the GM has control of anything it's going to go down the toilet.
Earlier editions were about DM empowerment. 3e & 4e were about player empowerment. 5e returns to the earlier style of DM empowerment, and the 3e/4e players despise it. They don't want to give up an ounce of control about absolutely anything.
Umm.... no, you don't. You decide what your character attempts. That isn't the same thing.

Funny, I started with 2e so don't try to pull that "back in my day blah blah blah" crap.

Yeah keep your DM entitled crap and start realizing the game doesn't revolve around the DM. Stop putting so much emphasis on the dungeong MASTER part of the name, it leads to arrogance and crappy games.

Never hear complaints about a considerate DM that runs their game with the idea that players are there to ave fun, but I hear complaints all the time about the dM that has the idea that his (or her) game is exactly just that, his (or hers) and not the players.

@ Trance: I know so many games that works this way that I keep forgetting that it is actually a house rule. It doesn't come up in my games much as no one plays elves.

Jermz
2015-05-01, 08:52 AM
No, they would not. It specifies that one gets the extra shot as a bonus action, not a free action. Since you only get one bonus action per round, you only get one extra shot per round. It's like if you Melf's Minute Meteors, where you throw meteors as a bonus action. You don't get to throw all your meteors, because you only have one bonus action in a round. Make sense?

Ah, true. Silly me. Still, it's a pretty strong feat for the Assassin Rogue, as they could potentially get off two shots in a surprise round if they're hidden.

calebrus
2015-05-01, 10:08 AM
Yeah keep your DM entitled crap and start realizing the game doesn't revolve around the DM. Stop putting so much emphasis on the dungeong MASTER part of the name, it leads to arrogance and crappy games.

Never hear complaints about a considerate DM that runs their game with the idea that players are there to ave fun,

lol, of course you don't, because this is the internet, where people come to complain, not give praise.
What leads to arrogance and crappy games is when players feel entitled to things that don't fit within the scope of the game, because the parameters of what falls within the scope of the game are entirely the purview of the DM.
Because yes, it is indeed the DM's game. The players are helping tell the story, but the story starts with the DM.
It's just a different line of thinking. So by my view you can keep your player entitled crap.
And thank you for proving my point for me.

ChubbyRain
2015-05-01, 11:47 AM
lol, of course you don't, because this is the internet, where people come to complain, not give praise.
What leads to arrogance and crappy games is when players feel entitled to things that don't fit within the scope of the game, because the parameters of what falls within the scope of the game are entirely the purview of the DM.
Because yes, it is indeed the DM's game. The players are helping tell the story, but the story starts with the DM.
It's just a different line of thinking. So by my view you can keep your player entitled crap.
And thank you for proving my point for me.

Sorry but I take my information not just from the internet but a little thing called real life. I know that may seem strange but I actually play in a ton of one shots while traveling for work and I've played in my share of ongoing games.

I have never heard of a complaint about a DM who treats players as people coming together to have fun and play a game with options of their own and I have heard countless complaints about jerk DMs who thinks the game revolves around them and the players can either agree or get out.

MadGrady
2015-05-01, 11:56 AM
We've homebrewed a couple of races, but our overall house rules currently being used in my campaign I'm running are:

1. When you roll a nat 20 on the attack roll, your normal main damage dice is maxed (just the weapon damage - no Sneak attack max or anything like that). All additional dice are rolled. So if my weapon does 1d8 + 3 and I hit a crit, then I do 8 + 1d8 + 3. I instituted this rule because I hated seeing crit roles with double ones on the dice and things like that. I want crits to hurt, and it works for bad guys too. Haven't really had any balance issues yet

2. I let my players draw both weapons if they dual wield without a feat. Honestly, this it makes no real difference except maybe for one round, and even then it hasn't been an issue at all.

3. Inspiration Variant: Called Shots. Players may spend their inspiration to attempt a called shot - an attack made without advantage, but can induce conditions based on location (Blindness to face, reduced speed to legs, disadvantage on attacks to arms, etc). Players spend the inspiration whether or not the attack hits or not. My players have loved this, and it makes that inspiration even more valuable, which means they strive for it. Makes for epic level games.

4. This isn't really a house rule, more of a bad guy variant already present in the book - I roll the HP for my badguys, vs using the HP stats in the Monster Manual. This leads to some weaker baddies, some average baddies, and some stronger baddies, and it means my players never know when the enemy will go down.

Ramshack
2015-05-01, 12:02 PM
So I'm guessing you don't have any humans in your games?

For most classes +1 to every score is vastly inferior to many of the racial features which have some synergy?

You're right, we offer 2 stats at +2 of their choice and proficient in a bonus skill of their choice Instead. Some people like the flexibility and still take human, it seems to be a good mix.

Iolo Morganwg
2015-05-01, 12:16 PM
I am quite satisfied with the rules as written. The only houserule I have implemented is to grant darkvision to Dragonborn.

One rule I am considering is requesting, (requiring?) my magic users to use spell cards. I am hoping that will speed things up.

Flashy
2015-05-01, 01:22 PM
Out of curiosity, what do Intelligence 18 people know who dont have knowledge skills?

Like they cant identify things in nature, gods, arcana, history and so forth?

The idea is mostly that knowledge represents formal training. So an 18 Int person would probably have excellent deductive skills which would make them way better at for example investigation checks, but they're no more likely to know what a Barlgura is than the average peasant if they've never had anyone teach them. 18 Int means you're smart, it doesn't mean you're well educated.

You could still remember basic facts about the world with int checks. Int checks would tell you that this city was founded pretty recently or that there are x gods who do y thing, or that wolves exist. You just need proficiency for information about centuries dead empires or the intricacies of strange magic or what obscure metal that sword is made of. Things you would have to learn rather than being able to cleverly guess.

Honestly, we've found it promotes way more knowledge proficiency AND way more knowledge checks (but then my group leans pretty heavily on exploration/investigative play so YMMV).

calebrus
2015-05-01, 02:15 PM
I have never heard of a complaint about a DM who treats players as people coming together to have fun and play a game with options of their own

That's exactly my point.
OF COURSE YOU HAVEN'T HEARD COMPLAINTS ABOUT GOOD DMS!
Why would you even you think that you would hear complaints about that?
I still don't know what point you're trying to make.

Naanomi
2015-05-01, 09:08 PM
Oh, I remember another one. We use Passive skills a lot more than other tables; essentially using them whenever someone doesn't ask to roll.

Also, Passive Skills don't take an action under most circumstances; meaning that if your passive climb skill is better than the difficulty, you can move at normal speed up the wall... same with swim or acrobatics. We had someone 'passively shove' their way through a bunch of kobolds, it was fun! Passive Intimidation has also been used for a general 'walking tough, keeping people away from us' move.

Someone once asked if they could grapple a third person with their legs (while already holding two people with their hands), and they were told 'only if you can do it passively'. They have since passively grappled an old Halfling woman with their legs.

bulbaquil
2015-05-03, 03:02 PM
I use just a few:

- HP rolls are at least half.
- Variant Human is always allowed, as it encourages players to play humans.
- Grappling is Athletics vs. Str/Dex save. Breaking grapple is Athletics/Acrobatics vs. Str save.
- I add a "sprint" action, which is lke the dash except that, when combined with a move action, it allows triple speed but you have disadvantage on Str/Dex saves and attacks against you have advantage until your next turn.
- "X points of cover" (confers +X to AC/Dex saves) rather than half/three-quarters cover. 8 or higher is considered full cover.
- Most saves vs. illusions are Intelligence saves rather than Wisdom saves.
- Obvious cheese (e.g. simulacrum abuse) is nerfed.

Ralanr
2015-05-03, 06:07 PM
Another I forgot to mention, feats/ASI are counted based on character levels rather than class levels (With the exception of extra rogue and fighter feats which is considered a class feature for them). So multiclassing doesn't cause you to lose feats/ability score bumps.

MadGrady
2015-05-04, 11:36 AM
I use just a few:

- Grappling is Athletics vs. Str/Dex save. Breaking grapple is Athletics/Acrobatics vs. Str save.

I am curious - why this change?

mrfish
2015-05-04, 12:38 PM
Don't play with any house rules right now. I have a few issues that I´d like to fix though.

I believe moon druid has some issues but have been told that there might be an errata concerning this class?

I dislike the beastmaster, might replace the action you spend to make your beast perform with you giving up your move or something like that.

I also have a problem with the meta aspect concerning death saves, might have people roll in secret, relying on their poker face, or having them roll all dice the second someone tends to them.

Surprisingly, I also have a problem with the wizard class and the concentration rules. Might introduce a feat allowing you a "second" concentration, or make wizards able to concentrate on one more spell, while trading off something else, like move.

There are more things that bug me, but I´d like the rules to be mostly what you get from the rule books. Its also no denying that the rules as they are have been tried and tested, while most house rules have not.

1Forge
2015-05-04, 06:55 PM
I usually take it by a case by case basis for character creation (ex: i use modified half orc stats for minotaurs) but i mainly use some of my own weapon care rules (must take care of blade every two days or start rolling vs debuffs, and weapon sundering health based on the price of each object)
Also i home brewed gnommish tinkering rules for making steam punk machines (can make a component part each day thats worth 5 copper of materials, 5 of these make a complex part, and 5 complex parts make an intricate part.)
DM decides cost of parts for automotauns.
Also druids can learn Alter self at second level
Stone golems can be harmed by mundane warpicks but are resistant (half damage)
Rules for mithril and adamantine weapons
And finally stats for a magical gatling gun made of wizrd staffs :smallbiggrin:

Stubbazubba
2015-05-04, 09:18 PM
That's exactly my point.

I'm not going to address all this DM wankery vs. PC entitlement garbage, but aren't these words from the OP yours?

This is not a discussion on why a certain house rule is good or bad. That's for each table to decide on their own, and is completely subjective.

I liked the parts of the thread that weren't thinly-veiled One True Way-isms snapping back and forth at each other. Moar house rules!

calebrus
2015-05-04, 09:24 PM
I'm not going to address all this DM wankery vs. PC entitlement garbage, but aren't these words from the OP yours?

This is not a discussion on why a certain house rule is good or bad. That's for each table to decide on their own, and is completely subjective.

Yeah, those were my words. What does that have to do with the idea that people are supposedly flocking to the internet to complain about good DMs, which will obviously never, ever happen?

Seriously, that's like saying "I never hear people complain about how cute puppies are when they're playing."
OF COURSE you don't hear people complain about things that are universally enjoyed. The entire premise of his argument was flawed. And I still don't know what point he was trying to make....

jaydubs
2015-05-04, 09:56 PM
1. I have luck rolls. Basically, if a player would like something to be in the scene, and neither it's presence nor absence would be determined by the context, they can roll a d100. And if they roll high (purely my judgment based on likelihood), that thing is part of the scene.

For example, my players were trying to kidnap an NPC and were following him through a series of alleys. They eventually caught up to him, and knocked him out. A player asked if there was somewhere convenient to hide the body, like an empty barrel. Since it had neither been described as present or absent in the scene, I asked him to roll luck. On a 60 or higher, there's a convenient barrel to hide the body in. He rolled a 70, there's a barrel in the alley, and they roll the NPC out of town.

2. I allow more than 1 interaction per turn, so long as it seems reasonable. That can be drawing two weapons, opening a door and picking up a letter, lighting two torches with your own, etc. The 1 free interaction is guaranteed, but most else I approve so long as it doesn't get abused.

3. I expand the history skill to include a lot of what was local and nobility in 3.x. Things like important current people, local laws, customs, etc.

4. Charisma only reflects force of personality. Players can choose to have their characters be as attractive or ugly as they want.

5. No PvP unless players both agree to it.

6. I loosen class restrictions on magic items.

Stubbazubba
2015-05-04, 11:18 PM
Yeah, those were my words. What does that have to do with the idea that people are supposedly flocking to the internet to complain about good DMs, which will obviously never, ever happen?

Seriously, that's like saying "I never hear people complain about how cute puppies are when they're playing."
OF COURSE you don't hear people complain about things that are universally enjoyed. The entire premise of his argument was flawed. And I still don't know what point he was trying to make....

Um, maybe it's because you took what he said totally out of context and ignored what was behind those words? Shall we recap?

House rule (which, according to your OP, we should just let be and not get into talking about its validity)

Here's Malifice asking about the rule.

Because DMs screw the hell up way to much. In AL play and in home games way to many DMs just forget about awarding inspiration or forget what their player's backgrounds and stuff is. Plus I and my friends hate feeling like a whinny baby saying "do I get inspiration for this". The addition of an ability score will allow someone to dictate how awesome they are. We may adjust the number of inspiration you get or may adjust it to only a long rest but leaving it in the hands of DMs is a huge mistake.

Here's CR's explanation of the rule.

Now here you come, snidely poo-pooing on CR's rule. See how this is related to your OP?

Not willing to leave it there, you then pick a fight over playstyles, make a bunch of assumptions about where CR is coming from, and frame the different editions as either DM or player empowering.

Never hear complaints about a considerate DM that runs their game with the idea that players are there to ave fun, but I hear complaints all the time about the dM that has the idea that his (or her) game is exactly just that, his (or hers) and not the players.

CR here picks up on your framing; when a DM is restrained, no one complains, but when a DM has absolute power, people complain. His point is not difficult to grasp.

Never hear complaints about a considerate DM that runs their game with the idea that players are there to ave fun,

And you respond by cutting off half of his quote and pretending like he only said one half of it. I mean, why would you do that? Did you think the second half of that sentence, which was similar in structure, tone, and content, was somehow not related to the first half?

So by my view you can keep your player entitled crap.

Man, seriously? Badwrongfun and One True Way-ism all at the same time? I thought your disclaimer in the OP was pretty much specifically to avoid this kind of evaluating?

I have never heard of a complaint about a DM who treats players as people coming together to have fun and play a game with options of their own and I have heard countless complaints about jerk DMs who thinks the game revolves around them and the players can either agree or get out.

He lays out the juxtaposition again, with more detail.

I have never heard of a complaint about a DM who treats players as people coming together to have fun and play a game with options of their own
That's exactly my point.

And you again cut off half of his quote as if each half of his sentence was independent of the other. That's the reason you don't understand what point he's trying to make. Sentences, how do they work?

I mean, this seems pretty straight forward to me: CR says, "I've had bad experiences with DMs completely ignoring Inspiration, so I made this house rule to avoid the problem all together." You respond, "Oh, what a horrible idea to have the DM do what they're supposed to do." That's breaking your own rule, but then you go on to take a broad swipe at all 3/4e players and paint them as entitled children. CR responds by pointing out that you only ever hear complaints about DMs who have your "It's the DM's game, it's the DM's story" mentality, and then you play dumb by leaving out context in quotes and concluding that he's not communicating with you clearly. I don't really care where you stand on DM vs. Player empowerment, but this conversation is ridiculous.

calebrus
2015-05-04, 11:34 PM
I never poo-poo'd on the rule.
I poo-poo'd on the idea that "leaving it in the hands of DMs is a huge mistake." And I will continue to poo-poo on that idea. Change whatever you want House rule whatever you want. But don't claim that leaving the determination of whether or not someone role-played well in the hands of the person running the game is a terrible idea, because that person is literally the best and most impartial judge for it.

Demonic Spoon
2015-05-05, 09:26 AM
4. Charisma only reflects force of personality. Players can choose to have their characters be as attractive or ugly as they want.

This is not a houserule, that's RAW.

Kryx
2015-05-05, 09:44 AM
This is not a houserule, that's RAW.
No it isn't.

Charisma measures your ability to interact effectively with others. It includes such factors as confidence and eloquence, and it can represent a charming or commanding personality.

Demonic Spoon
2015-05-05, 09:52 AM
No it isn't.

Technically correct - I was referring specifically to the fact that it's not about personal appearance.

Celcey
2015-05-05, 10:41 PM
A couple of my house rules:
1. When rolling for health after you level up, if you get less than half the max plus one, you just take half the max plus one.

2. We use plot points, from the DMG. One player has a plot point that they can use in any way. They have it until they use it (it carries over from session to session). Once they use it, they roll for the plot point (it can't be the same person twice in a row), and whoever rolls the highest has the plot point. Only one plot point can be used per session.

3. If you fail 3 death saving throws, you don't die. You're just knocked out till the battle is over, at which point you wake up with 1 HP, because death is inconvenient.

These are the only ones I can think of at this particular moment, but there are probably a couple of others, just because.

Inchoroi
2015-05-06, 09:18 AM

I'm tempted to steal this as well.

This isn't a bad idea, but for my games, all I did was use the Players Grant Inspiration from the DMG.

I usually hand out three or four points per session.
At the end of the session, each player chooses one player other than themselves (via blind vote) which they feel deserves it the most for the session as a whole, and those points are allocated for the next session.
A player can have as many points as they can accumulate from other players, and only one point from the DM at any given time.
If you want another point from the DM, you need to spend yours (or give it to someone else) and then earn another.

I use poker chips for a visual cue, so I remember to hand it out and so players remember they have it to spend.
Blue for DM granted Inspiration, white for player granted Inspiration, green for Bardic Inspiration.

Actually, having them vote at the end of a session on who gets Inspiration at the beginning of next session is an awesome idea. Stolen.

Okay, here's my houserules (long):

* Roll two sets of stats, you can choose between either set, or, if both are not satisfactory, take the standard array.

* You get bonus languages equal to your Intelligence modifier; a negative modifier cannot remove the languages you are granted as part of your race.

* When learning a tool proficiency or a language, you divide 250 days by your Intelligence modifier to determine how long it takes you to learn the proficiency or language.

* Characters can take a five minute "breather" to gain the benefits of a Short Rest; each use of this imposes a level of exhaustion.

* Druids
Circle of the Moon Druid:
Combat Wild Shape: The healing ability of this archetype feature requires a full action, instead of a bonus action.
Circle Forms: At 2nd level the Druid may Wild Shape into CR 1/2, at 3rd Level they may Wild Shape into CR 1.

* Fighter
Champion: The champion archetype has been removed and rolled into the base Fighter features.
Battlemaster:
Menacing Attack: Rather than the frightened condition, the target has disadvantage on all attacks and ability checks against the Battle Master, and may not move closer to them.
Pushing Attack: Applicable target size increases by one step when the Superiority Die increases (Huge at d10, Gargantuan at d12).
Trip Attack: Applicable target size increase by one step when the Superiority Die increases (Huge at d10, Gargantuan at d12).

* Monk: Proficiencies gained from Feats (Tavern Brawler, Weapon Master) are considered Monk Weapons so long as they don't have the Heavy or Two-handed properties.

* Rangers:
Beast Master: You can command your animal to attack on your initiative using a bonus action.
Exceptional Training: It is a free action to command your Beast instead of a bonus action.

* Sorcerer:
Wild Magic: Replace entry 07-08 on the Wild Magic table with a Stinking Cloud, centered on self, cast as a 3rd Level Spell that lasts for 1 minute.

* Warlock
1. Warlocks begins with the Eldritch Blast cantrip for free, and can choose two others, as per the PHB.
2. Warlocks can use mystic arcanum slots to cast enhanced warlock spells known via the pact magic class feature.

Pact of the Chain
All warlocks gain this feature, in addition to either Pact of the Blade or Pact of the Tome, at 3rd level. The Pact of the Chain may also take a Flumph or a Homonculus as an option for the find familiar spell.

Pact of the Blade
You also receive Medium Armor proficiency. You automatically gain the Thirsting Blade invocation at 6th level, which does not count towards your total number of known invocations.

Pact of the Tome
Your tome may serve as an Arcane Focus if both your hands are free to hold the Book of Shadows.

Invocations
Repelling Blast: This Invocation only affects targets sized Large or Smaller, and allows for a Strength Saving Throw to resist.
Mask of Myriad Forms: This invocation now has a prerequisite of 7th level, instead of 15th.

New Invocation: Blade-lore
Prerequisite: Level 3, Pact of the Blade
You learn the Dueling or Great Weapon fighting style (PHB, pg 72).

New Invocation: Warlock’s Curse
Prerequisite: Level 7
You may cast the spell hex without using a spell slot or components.

* Characters gain a bonus feat at level 1, 5, 11, and 17.

* The Alert feat no longer prevents you from being surprised; instead, it grants you advantage on passive perception, as well as it's other features.

* New Feats:
Master Artisan
Through training and dedication, you have mastered the use of a type of artisan's tools. You pick one set of artisan's tools that you are proficient with. When using those tools to craft an item, you double the amount of progress you make each day, after all other modifiers. If you wish, you may purchase this feat multiple times, each purchase applying to a different artisan tool.

Cooperative Crafting
You are adept at communicating and detailing your instructions to your assistants. When using artisan tools to craft an item, any creatures assisting you double the amount of progress that is made on the item being created by the group.

Poisoner
You gain proficiency in the poisoner's kit, if you did not already possess it. In addition, when you create or harvest poisons, you gain two doses when you would normally gain one, and you add your proficiency bonus to the DCs of any poison you create yourself.

* Magic Items: For both the purposes of purchasing and crafting magic items, potions are 1/2 the cost printed, and scrolls and magic ammunition is 3/4 the cost printed.

* Crafting: Crafting Mundane items proceeds at a speed of 5 times your proficiency bonus gp per day.

* Spells
Color Spray:
Color Spray's blindness effect lasts until the end of your next turn, rather than until the spell ends; as written, it only lasts a single round, meaning the start of your next turn, which severely limits its utility in combat. In addition, this changes the spell's Duration to "Instantaneous".

Blade Ward
The Blade Ward cantrip may be cast on another individual, and has a range of 30ft.

In addition to these, I have a Hengeyokai race, by request, that is available, and the villain class options from the DMG.

ThePrez1776
2015-05-08, 12:57 PM
Two things that our group uses:

1. We removed a lot of the spells that circumvent basic needs, eg. Create Food and Water, Comprehend Languages, Tongues, etc. Our group felt like this allowed magic users to get around basic challenges that others were tied to and cheapened certain challenges, eg. being stuck in a desert.

2. taking damage less than 50% of their HP maximum while dying gives disadvantage on the next saving throw, not an automatic failure. We felt it was unrealistic for a character to be potentially killed by very low-level attacks, eg. a 15th level fighter getting shot by a kobold archer for 4 damage, when he has 90 hp.

Malifice
2015-05-08, 09:23 PM
Must add, after doing the maths I am allowing all creatures to add 1/2 proficiency bonus on non-proficient saves in line with 3.5.

I'm finding the gap between good saves and bad saves is too high.

As a consequence I'm finding casters have less reason to MC (a +1-3 on Con saves is enough not to justify the 1st level of Fighter) and Resilient no longer being the 'go to' feat in most builds.

More magic items exist to buff spell DC's and not enough exist to buff saves (ring of protection being one of the few).

It's not too hard to apply to monsters either on the fly. Proficiency bonus being (CR/4)+1 (round up). So a CR 1-8 gains +1 to saves, a CR 9-16 gains +2, CR 17-24 gains +3, and finally CR 25+ gains +4 (meaning most creatures gain the +1 for levels 1-8 play and +2 for levels 9-16).

calebrus
2015-05-08, 09:34 PM
Must add, after doing the maths I am allowing all creatures to add 1/2 proficiency bonus on non-proficient saves in line with 3.5.

I'm finding the gap between good saves and bad saves is too high.

Yeah, we do the same, as listed in the OP.
Without that it's basically auto-success for the caster. At least this way the defender has a chance.

Flashy
2015-05-09, 12:51 AM
1. We removed a lot of the spells that circumvent basic needs, eg. Create Food and Water, Comprehend Languages, Tongues, etc. Our group felt like this allowed magic users to get around basic challenges that others were tied to and cheapened certain challenges, eg. being stuck in a desert.

I'm curious, how do you deal with situations where party members genuinely just don't speak the language of something they need to talk to and don't have access to a translator?

Malifice
2015-05-09, 01:00 AM
Yeah, we do the same, as listed in the OP.
Without that it's basically auto-success for the caster. At least this way the defender has a chance.

I'm doing this with Wizards too:

At 1st level, Wizards are proficient in Arcana and two other skills from their list.
Wizards can prepare a number of spells equal to (1/2 level + Int mod) rounding up. These spells can come from any school. At every even level, a Wizard may prepare an additional spell from the school that matches his arcane tradition (Universalist wizards can instead prepare an additional spell from any school). Wizards who do not belong to the Universalist arcane tradition may prepare an additional spell from their chosen arcane school at 2nd, 6th, 10th and 14th level.
From 2nd level, whenever a wizard casts a spell from his specialised school, he adds +1 to the spell save DC and to attack rolls with those spells.
Starting at 2nd level when a non-universalist wizard adds spells to his spellbook, at least one of those spells must come from his arcane school. A wizard of an arcane school other than the universalist school, doubles his proficiency bonus in Arcana with respect to knowledge and lore in relation to his specialised school.

New arcane school: Universalist

Advanced learning
Beginning when you select this tradition at 2nd level, you add one more wizard spell of your choice (for a total of 3) to your spellbook when you learn new spells every level. All three spells must come from a different school of magic.

Greater arcane recovery
Starting at 6th level, as long as you are holding your arcane focus, you can use arcane recovery as a bonus action on your turn. You may still only use arcane recovery once per day.

Unravel resistance
At 10th level your knowledge of the inner workings of magic has given you great insight into how to overcome a creature’s resistance to your spells. You can use a bonus action on your turn to cause the next spell you cast before the start of your next turn to ignore magic resistance. If a creature expends a use of legendary resistance to save against one of your spells enhanced by this ability, it must instead expend two uses. You can use this ability a number of times per long rest equal to your intelligence modifier (minimum 1)

Arcane focus
At 14th level, your concentration isn’t broken when you cast a second spell that requires concentration, and you can concentrate on two different spells at once. If you lose your concentration for any other reason, both spells end.

The above makes specialist wizards more focussed and provides a more generalist Wizard.

Finally, I have decided to limit cantrips to (3+spellcasting ability modifier) slots (reharge on a short rest) to any creature with the cantrips feature. MC casters can choose which spellcasting ability modifier to use.

The Warlock agnozing blast invocation allows the casting of Eldritch blast without expending a cantrip slot in addition to its usual features.

Flötenschlumpf
2015-05-09, 01:22 AM
Action Surge: Cannot be used to cast spells. Can only be recharged half your fighter level rounded up times per day. Reason: Prevent power creep by cherry picking.
Eldritch blast: Is not a regular cantrip but a Warlock class feature that scales with warlock class level and not character level. Reason: Prevent power creep by cherry picking.
Magical Secrets: Choose two spells from any class, the spells must be of a level you could cast, if you were a member of that class with class levels equal to your class levels as bard. Reason: Prevent the bard from pirating certain exclusive spells from Ranger/Paladin list before members of these classes could cast them themselves.

AgentPaper
2015-05-09, 01:31 AM
For Action Surge and spellcasting, you can simply extend the rule on Bonus Action spells. You can only cast one level 1 or higher spell each turn, any others need to be cantrips. So you can cast Fireball, surge, and cast a Firebolt, but you can't double Fireball.

Malifice
2015-05-09, 01:44 AM
For Action Surge and spellcasting, you can simply extend the rule on Bonus Action spells. You can only cast one level 1 or higher spell each turn, any others need to be cantrips. So you can cast Fireball, surge, and cast a Firebolt, but you can't double Fireball.

I add this text to the end of Action surge:

You cannot cast a spell with the extra action granted from Action surge.

So you can still cast + dash or cast + hide or cast + attack or whatever.

ThePrez1776
2015-05-09, 02:48 PM
I'm curious, how do you deal with situations where party members genuinely just don't speak the language of something they need to talk to and don't have access to a translator?

This is mostly done by how the GM (myself) designs the campaign. I always avoid situations in which the party is simply blocked from advancement because of this. I won't make it so that there's a key NPC who does not speak the language whose information is extremely pressing. This is mostly done so that NPC's can say things that the party isn't supposed to know yet, or to add mystery to the adventure, like if the party finds some ancient sylvan text and they need to find out what it means as opposed to just casting a spell

MeeposFire
2015-05-09, 03:07 PM

Oh please don't do that the bonus action rule is one of the most poorly written rules in the book and is one of the few things I would houserule.

The rule currently forces you to cast a cantrip after using a bonus action spell. This means that if you cast a bonus action cantrip you still have to use a cantrip after it. It also prevents you from casting a reaction spell during your turn. Lastly if you read it closely you can try to circumvent the rule by casting your action spell first and then cast bonus action spells. No DM should allow this to work but it is technically there.

My change to the rule is as follows

In any turn in which you are going to cast a bonus action spell and 1 or more additional spells in the same turn at least on of those spells must be a cantrip.

This enforces what I believe is the RAI which is that when you cast a bonus action spell and an additional spell in the same turn at least one spell being cast that round needs to be a cantrip and also plugs up the possible reading that gets around the rule in RAW (that being of casting the action spell before the bonus action spell which should never be allowed of course).

This of course has nothing to do with whether you should houserule action surge to not work with spells.

calebrus
2015-05-09, 03:14 PM
The rule currently forces you to cast a cantrip after using a bonus action spell. This means that if you cast a bonus action cantrip you still have to use a cantrip after it. It also prevents you from casting a reaction spell during your turn. Lastly if you read it closely you can try to circumvent the rule by casting your action spell first and then cast bonus action spells. No DM should allow this to work but it is technically there.

That isn't what the rule says. That's what the rules lawyers want you to read it as.
The timing is not specified.
It does not prevent a reaction spell, as that is not the same turn.
You cannot circumvent it by order of operations, like the lawyers want you to think you can.

My change to the rule is as follows

In any turn in which you are going to cast a bonus action spell and 1 or more additional spells in the same turn at least on of those spells must be a cantrip.

That is basically exactly what the rule says. You just phrased it differently.

"You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of one action."
See? The order of operations is not specified, so it says the exact same thing your paraphrased house rule says, thus making your house rule redundant. It doesn't tell you what you can do after, it tells you what can be done during that round.
A strict RAW reading of this also means that any round during which you cast a bonus action spell cannot be used to cast a spell with Action Surge, unless the AS spell is a cantrip.

MeeposFire
2015-05-09, 03:18 PM
That isn't what the rule says. That's what the rules lawyers want you to read it as.
The timing is not specified.

That is basically exactly what the rule says. You just phrased it differently.

"You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of one action."
See? No timing specified, so it says the exact same thing your paraphrased house rule says, thus making your house rule redundant.

You need to read it again the actual rule says you could not cast a reaction spell on your turn that is one big difference right there.

In addition my version allows you to cast 1) healing word and produce fire in one turn and 2) shillelagh and cure wounds in the same turn.

1 works with the RAW 2 does not that is also a big difference.

So no that is not the same rule phrased differently it is actually very different.

calebrus
2015-05-09, 03:22 PM
So no that is not the same rule phrased differently it is actually very different.

Yeah, yours is more lenient. The rules as they are being more strict and requiring that every other spell be a cantrip, while yours only forces one of them to be a cantrip.

and my edit addressed your other parts

It doesn't tell you what can be done after. It tells you what can be done, period.
The order of operations changes nothing.
Have you cast a non-cantrip spell this turn? Yes? Then you can't cast a bonus action spell during the same turn.
Reactions (with the sole exception of counterspell) cannot happen on your turn anyway, so the fact that your reaction happens on a different turn means that the bonus spell rules do not apply, which means they do not restrict your reactions in any way.

The only reaction that the bonus rules restrict is counterspelling an enemy caster's counterspell.
The rules don't allow it because of the bonus action spell rules.
But if an enemy caster counterspelled your cantrip, then you could counterspell his counter (not that you would want to).

MeeposFire
2015-05-09, 03:35 PM
Oh believe me I know the argument well about action surge and casting spells in the same round as I am the guy who specifically argued in a very long thread about how action surge does not break the rules on casting spells and only gives you an additional action to cast a spell (which of course needs to be a cantrip if you cast a bonus action spell that round). I just did not want to open up that can of worms again since it was not really the arguing point.

And yes mine is more permissive since I thought it was silly that for instance as a sorcerer you could cast a quickened cloudkill and a firebolt but you cannot cast shillelagh and cloud kill. I am not sold that they really considered since most cantrips are not bonus action casting or that they did not consider how their wording makes it matter which spell you quicken in a round. For instance as a sorcerer if you are going to cast a leveled spell and use a quicken spell metamagic you need to make sure you don't screw up and cast the cantrip with the quicken since it matters.

MeeposFire
2015-05-09, 03:48 PM
Yeah, yours is more lenient. The rules as they are being more strict and requiring that every other spell be a cantrip, while yours only forces one of them to be a cantrip.

and my edit addressed your other parts

It doesn't tell you what can be done after. It tells you what can be done, period.
The order of operations changes nothing.
Have you cast a non-cantrip spell this turn? Yes? Then you can't cast a bonus action spell during the same turn.
Reactions (with the sole exception of counterspell) cannot happen on your turn anyway, so the fact that your reaction happens on a different turn means that the bonus spell rules do not apply, which means they do not restrict your reactions in any way.

The only reaction that the bonus rules restrict is counterspelling an enemy caster's counterspell.
The rules don't allow it because of the bonus action spell rules.
But if an enemy caster counterspelled your cantrip, then you could counterspell his counter (not that you would want to).

The bolded is incorrect read page 190 under the "reactions" header. It says

"A reaction is an instant response to a trigger of some kind, which can occur on your turn or on someone else's"

As you can see it specifically says you can use a reaction on your turn assuming a trigger happens. For instance you are hit by an opportunity attack as you move on your turn. You can use shield to negate it. For a non-spell reaction that works on your turn you can use uncanny dodge on that opportunity attack.

Also you can stop trying to convince me of the whole timing issue as I said no DM that cares about the rule being used would ever let you read the rule in the way I stated as it would effectively nullify the rule altogether so I personally not going to argue with you about that matter since it does not really matter for this part of the conversation. It is just an additional reason for me wanting to change the rule. If it was the only problem with the rule I would not even care because I can rationalize the problem away.

calebrus
2015-05-09, 04:06 PM
OK, so I forgot about shield for a moment.
We're talking about spells cast as a reaction, so things like Uncanny Dodge and the like simply aren't applicable to the discussion.

MeeposFire
2015-05-09, 04:12 PM
OK, so I forgot about shield for a moment.
We're talking about spells cast as a reaction, so things like Uncanny Dodge and the like simply aren't applicable to the discussion.

I only mentioned it as an example of a reaction you could use on your turn just in case somebody out there thought it was only for spells.

Essentially if you want to prevent reaction spells from being used on your turn during a bonus action spell round specifically you should use the RAW.

If you want to specifically prevent casting quickened firebolt + cloudkill but allow quickened cloudkill+ firebolt then you want ot go with the RAW.

Personally I do not see much value to that so I made my rule which eliminates these discrepancies while holding to what I think the spirit of the rule is which is to force you to cast a cantrip in any round you use a bonus action spell.

Kryx
2015-05-09, 04:41 PM
If you wouldn't mind This thread isn't meant for extended debate.

Epicbob
2015-05-09, 05:07 PM
The first thing I did was to create my own weapons list. The RAW list is a botched mess of redundant weapons.

Also, I made simplified fighting styles. They work more like 3e combat feats.

Another one that I use optionally is to use silver as the standard coin instead of gold. The advantages are that you have less coins to track and copper has useful worth.

I got them in some spoiler tags, here.

Fighter
-------
Distance
Gain +2 to ranged attack rolls.

Defense
Gain +1 to AC.

Mobility
Gain +5 ft. to speed.

Offense
Gain +2 to melee damage rolls.

Technique
Gain +2 to melee attack rolls.

Proaction
Gain +2 to initiative.

Paladin
-------
Defense
Gain +1 to AC.

Offense

Technique

Proaction
Gain +2 to initiative.

Ranger
------
Distance
Gain +2 to ranged attack rolls.

Mobility
Gain +5 ft. to speed.

Offense

Technique
The Long property allows reach at the cost of disadvantage against adjacent targets.

The Mounted property allows one-handed use while riding a mountable critter.

Simple Melee Weapons
Name Cost Damage Weight Properties
Dagger 2 gp 1d4 Piercing 1 lb. Finesse, light
Dart 5 cp 1d4 Piercing 1 lb. Light, thrown (range 20/60)
Handaxe 5 gp 1d4 Slashing 2 lb. Light, thrown (range 20/60)
Light hammer 2 gp 1d4 Bludgeoning 2 lb. Light, thrown (range 20/60)
Sickle 1 gp 1d4 Slashing 2 lb. Finesse, light
Unarmed Strike ─ 1 Bludgeoning ─ ─

Club 1 sp 1d6 Bludgeoning 4 lb. Thrown (range 20/60), versatile (1d8)
Javelin 5 sp 1d4 Piercing 2 lb. Thrown (range 30/120), versatile (1d6)
Mace 5 gp 1d8 Bludgeoning 4 lb. Versatile (2d4)
Quarterstaff 2 sp 1d4 Bludgeoning 4 lb. Reach, versatile (1d6)
Spear 1 gp 1d6 Piercing 3 lb. Thrown (range 20/60), versatile (1d8)

Greatclub 2 sp 1d10 Bludgeoning 10lb. Two-handed

Simple Ranged Weapons
Crossbow, light 25 gp 1d8 Piercing 5 lb. Ammunition (range 80/320), loading, two-handed
Shortbow 25 gp 1d6 Piercing 2 lb. Ammunition (range 80/320), two-handed
Sling 1 sp 1d4 Bludgeoning ─ Thrown ammunition (range 30/120)

Martial Melee Weapons
Scimitar 25 gp 1d6 Slashing 3 lb. Finesse, light
Shortsword 10 gp 1d6 Piercing 2 lb. Finesse, light
War pick 5 gp 1d6 Piercing 2 lb. Light, thrown (range 20/60)

Battleaxe 10 gp 1d8 Slashing 4 lb. Thrown (range 20/60), versatile (2d4)
Flail 10 gp 1d6 Bludgeoning 2 lb. Reach, versatile (1d8)
Longsword 15 gp 2d4 Slashing 3 lb. Versatile (1d10)
Morningstar 15 gp 2d4 Piercing 4 lb. Versatile (1d10)
Rapier 25 gp 1d8 Piercing 2 lb. Finesse
Trident 5 gp 1d8 Piercing 4 lb. Thrown (range 20/60), versatile (2d4)
Warhammer 15 gp 2d4 Bludgeoning 2 lb. Versatile (1d10)
Whip 2 gp 1d4 Slashing 3 lb. Finesse, reach

Glaive 20 gp 2d4 Slashing 6 lb. Reach, two-handed
Greataxe 30 gp 1d12 Slashing 7 lb. Two-handed
Greatsword 50 gp 2d6 Slashing 6 lb. Heavy, two-handed
Halberd 20 gp 1d10 Slashing 6 lb. Heavy, reach, two-handed
Lance 10 gp 2d4 Piercing 6 lb. Long, mounted
Maul 10 gp 2d6 Bludgeoning 10 lb. Heavy, two-handed
Pike 5 gp 1d10 Piercing 12 lb. Heavy, reach, two-handed

Martial Ranged Weapons
Blowgun 10 gp 1 Piercing 1 lb. Ammunition (range 25/100), loading
Crossbow, hand 75 gp 1d6 Piercing 3 lb. Ammunition (range 30/120), light, loading
Crossbow, heavy 50 gp 1d10 Piercing 18 lb. Ammunition (range 100/400), heavy, loading, two-handed
Longbow 50 gp 1d8 Piercing 2 lb. Ammunition (range 150/600), heavy, two-handed
Net 1 gp ─ 3 lb. Range (5/15), trapped

_felagund
2015-05-25, 03:10 PM
my first house rule is dont change a rule just by looking at it, consider it, play test the original rule then make a change.

2. active perception checks cant be lover than passive ones.
3. no flanking (just think about goblins walking around PCs every turn)
4. (if playing on grid) One diagonal movement (as a regular 5ft step) within a move action.