PDA

View Full Version : Player Help monster hit dice skills

thecrimsondawn
2015-04-29, 10:32 PM
So I just got to thinking...what skills are class skills when you take a monster hit die level?

I can look at the MM and see some skills are over the level cap, but other then that I dont see how you can tell.
Im sure this is answered somewhere right in front of my face, but my google fu is failing me this night

The creature type in question atm is a fey.
edit: also are you required to take the given feats for monsters, or can you pick them at the given levels that you acquire them?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-29, 10:40 PM
Whatever skills are mentioned in the monster's entry are class skills for its racial HD. A Dryad's class skills are Escape Artist, Handle Animal, Hide, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Ride, Spot, Survival, and Use Rope, while a Gnoll's class skills are Listen and Spot.

DrMotives
2015-04-29, 10:52 PM
As far as the feats go, those are just the choices made by the stock common monster. A custom built one picks as normal. The only exception is if a monster has feat specifically listed as a bonus feat, which is infrequent but happens. Werebeasts get iron will as a bonus feat, I believe.

WhamBamSam
2015-04-29, 11:00 PM
The creature stat blocks give skill modifiers, not skill ranks, often including racial bonus . All skills listed are class skills for the creature's RHD.

You're under no particular obligation to use the listed feats on a customized individual for a particular monster species.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-04-29, 11:04 PM
Source: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/intro.htm)

Skills
This line gives the creature’s skills, along with each skill’s modifier (including adjustments for ability scores, armor check penalties, and any bonuses from feats or racial traits). All listed skills are class skills, unless the creature has a character class (noted in the entry). A creature’s type and Intelligence score determine the number of skill points it has.

he Skills section of the creature’s description recaps racial bonuses and other adjustments to skill modifiers for the sake of clarity; these bonuses should not be added to the listed skill modifiers.

An asterisk (*) beside the relevant score and in the Skills section of the descriptive text indicates a conditional adjustment, one that applies only in certain situations.

Type determines number of skill points, and those listed are the class skills.