PDA

View Full Version : That cant be right.....

thorgrim29
2007-04-17, 12:24 PM
Now I'm pretty sure it does'nt work that way, but according to the rules for magic item creation http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

a continuous item costs 2000xspell level, multiplied by a lot of things. But say i want to make a true strike (the +20 to hit spell) continuous item, using those rules it costs 2000 gp, and thats just wrong, so please tell me where I'm mistaking.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-17, 12:25 PM
1. This has been said before.

2. Those are guidelines, guidelines, nothing more.

Jack Mann
2007-04-17, 12:26 PM
You're not. It's the item creation guidelines that are screwy. The continuous true strike is one of the more common exploits named. Obviously, any sane DM would disallow it.

Ikkitosen
Those rules are optional, amongst other things. They require DM approval.

Also, since True Strike is discharged when used it wouldn't work. But mainly, optional.

Shhalahr Windrider
Now I'm pretty sure it does'nt work that way, but according to the rules for magic item creation...
There's your problem. The pricing tables are not rules. They are guidelines. And they don't work for many items. Especially items that use true strike.

Telonius
2007-04-17, 12:28 PM
It's not right. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050118a)

Use the Correct Formula: One item people frequently ask me about is a ring oftrue strike. The spell provides a whopping +20 insight bonus (javascript:autoGlossaryWindow('Glossary_dnd_insig htbonus')) on attack rolls (javascript:autoGlossaryWindow('Glossary_dnd_attac kroll')) and negates miss chances (javascript:autoGlossaryWindow('Glossary_dnd_missc hance')) arising from concealed targets. It's only 1st level, however, because it is a personal range spell with a duration of 1 round. That means you can normally manage one attack every 2 rounds when using the spell. Also, you can't bestow it on an ally (except for a familiar or animal companion) because of its personal range.
Assuming such a ring worked whenever it was needed and has a caster level of 1st, it would cost a mere 2,000 gp by the formula for a use-activated spell effect (in this case, 1 x 1 x 2,000 gp). Sharp-eyed readers will note that any continuously functioning item has a cost adjustment of x4 (see the footnotes to Table 7-33), which bumps up the ring's cost to 8,000 gp. That's a real bargain for an item that provides so much boost to a user's combat power. Much too great a bargain.
So, what would our example ring of true strike be worth? Insight bonuses aren't included on Table 7-33, but a weapon bonus has a cost equal to the bonus squared x 2,000 gp, so a +20 weapon would cost 800,000 gp. One can argue that the ring isn't quite as good as a +20 weapon because it doesn't provide a damage bonus. That, however, ignores the very potent ability to negate most miss chances. Also, the ring's insight bonus works with any sort of attack the wearer makes. On top of all that, the insight bonus stacks with any enhancement bonus from a magic weapon the wearer might wield. Still, 800,000 gp is a lot of cash and the lack of a damage bonus is significant, so some price reduction is in order. A 50% reduction might be in order, or 400,000 gp for the ring.
Would you pay 400,000 gp for a ring of true striking? I would if I could afford it. At a price of 400,000 gp, our mythical ring of true strike is something only an epic-level character could afford. That's fine, because epic play is where the ring belongs.

Maxymiuk
2007-04-17, 12:29 PM
Not all items adhere to these formulas directly. The reasons for this are several. First and foremost, these few formulas aren’t enough to truly gauge the exact differences between items. The price of a magic item may be modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point. The pricing of scrolls assumes that, whenever possible, a wizard or cleric created it. Potions and wands follow the formulas exactly. Staffs follow the formulas closely, and other items require at least some judgment calls.

Emphasis mine.

Dausuul
2007-04-17, 12:30 PM
Now I'm pretty sure it does'nt work that way, but according to the rules for magic item creation http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

a continuous item costs 2000xspell level, multiplied by a lot of things. But say i want to make a true strike (the +20 to hit spell) continuous item, using those rules it costs 2000 gp, and thats just wrong, so please tell me where I'm mistaking.

You're missing the place where it says:

Not all items adhere to these formulas directly. The reasons for this are several. First and foremost, these few formulas aren’t enough to truly gauge the exact differences between items. The price of a magic item may be modified based on its actual worth ... items require at least some judgment calls.Edit: Ninja'd, repeatedly.

thorgrim29
2007-04-17, 01:05 PM
Ok, thanks, I knew it could'nt that, but I wanted to know just how it worked.

Inyssius Tor
2007-04-17, 04:27 PM
It's not right. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050118a) *snip*

If you can just jump around from "effect" to "spell effect" as you please, a Periapt of Wisdom +4 should cost 48,000 ( 3 x 2 x 2000 x 4) gold. Of course, everything in those tables has "judgment call" written all over it, but I had to point that out.

Emperor Tippy
2007-04-17, 06:56 PM
I let people make all the rings of continuous true strike that they want. Considering that they are 1 time use items. :biggrin:

The problem arises when they try to make items of use activated true strike (cast truestrike on you when you swing a sword). The price is the same and it allows truestrike on every hit and avoids the pesky rules about to hit bonuses. (Its still utterly cheap and is grounds for book to the head syndrome)

Arbitrarity
2007-04-17, 07:40 PM
How is that use activated? Use requires a standard action :P

Thus, it sucks. Even a ring of quickened true strike is only 1 hit per round, and costs 90000 gp.

Edit: Gaaak. Ok.

Emperor Tippy
2007-04-17, 07:42 PM
How is that use activated? Use requires a standard action :P

Thus, it sucks. Even a ring of quickened true strike is only 1 hit per round, and costs 90000 gp.
Nope. Use activation doesn't take any time at all if its part of another action. This activation is part of the attack action.

Tellah
2007-04-17, 08:05 PM
If you want a magical item that does True Strike, my favorite creation is the Monocle of True Strike, which casts it three times per day as a standard action. I priced it at 1,200 gp, which seems reasonable enough. It's fun to do a True Strike power attack, and I really like the mental image of a front-line fighter holding up the monocle mid-battle to get a better look at his opponent.

As a DM, I disallow use-activated items that are activated as part of another action, and that saves me a lot of headaches. Players tend to consider their options more if they have to use a standard action to get a magical effect.