PDA

View Full Version : DM Help balancing craft feats

With a box
2015-04-30, 07:14 AM
wand/staff/rods -> craft stick:smallconfused:(do you have better name?)
potion,oil, elixirs -> brew things(same)
ring, aromor, clothes(like boots of speed) -> craft gears
and wonderous item not listed here-> craft external device
and keep scribe scrolls(I can't find any good place to include this..)
and give bards it (like sheet music)

right now they have really poor names, but would this feats are more balanced then traditional crafting feats?
and some suggestion for better name of those feats

Arael666
2015-04-30, 07:24 AM
I kinda like it, how about this:

Craft "Spell Storage Device" - Wands/staff/rods/scrolls/potions (basically anything that is consumed or have limited charges and emulates a spell)
Craft Weapons And armor - I like this one, don't think it has to change
Craft Wondrous Items - Rings are now considered woundrows items.

with 3 feats you can craft anything, I think thats fair in an average game. Also, oils are included in "brew potion", and I'm pretty sure elixirs also are.

Heliomance
2015-04-30, 08:15 AM
One of my DMs chopped it down to just Craft Permanent Magical Item and Craft Expendable Magic Item. There may have been a third, I don't quite remember. But it seemed to work pretty well.

Segev
2015-04-30, 08:38 AM
There already are really only 4 item-crafting feats in the game, for all practical purposes: Scribe Scroll (unique because you can take it at level 1), Craft Magical Arms and Armor (explicitly required for any magical armor or weapon, which are explicitly defined), Craft Staves (unique because they use the wielder's stats, and one or two feats explicitly reference staves as a unique kind of item), and Craft Wondrous Item (which makes one-shot and charged items such as wands as well as all the wearable gear and even "slotless" items and "handheld" items such as rods).

There is a SLIGHT argument for Forge Ring, since they seem to have an implicit 1.5x unique cost modifier and they do have a reserved body slot.

But there is no reason to ever take Brew Potion, Craft Rod, or Craft Wand, and little reason to take Scribe Scroll if you're not getting it with a caster level of only 1. All of those can be replicated by Craft Wondrous Item.