PDA

View Full Version : Races/Classes Never Played at your table?

TheCrowing1432
2015-04-30, 07:29 AM
Im sure every table has them.

Im not talking about obscure things from 3rd party source books, im talking about things that just arent played very often at your table that are common enough.

Ill start.

Dwarf.

No one at our table has played a dwarf...in well....a long time. There was this dwarf factorum that one of our players played for one or two sessions, but we got tired of that campaign.

Anyone got any others that just dont seem to get played?

And Im not talking about banned.

defiantdan
2015-04-30, 07:39 AM
Half-Elf has never been played at my table.

With a box
2015-04-30, 07:43 AM
Half-Elf has never been played at my table.

aren't there a Half-someone Elf?
other half must be half Elf...

nyjastul69
2015-04-30, 07:51 AM
I can't recall anyone in any game I've played playing a gnome, half-orc or barbarian. Although I did see a fighter take a 1 level dip in barbarian once.

Arael666
2015-04-30, 07:54 AM
Of all the tables that I've played in, no one has ever played a Warforged.

Psyren
2015-04-30, 07:55 AM
Kobolds are banned at ours, even in PF-only games.
Strix also gets banned frequently.

Arc_knight25
2015-04-30, 07:55 AM
Surprisingly wizard.

In all of my campaigns, I don't think anyone has gone Wizard.

Wow just thinking about it. In the last like 7 years, no one has gone Wizard. Thank you for blowing my mind as I hadn't really thought about it till now.

Sorc seems to be the go to for our group. The group seems to dislike prepared casting, because even druids and clerics aren't all that common either.

ZeshinX
2015-04-30, 07:57 AM
Gnomes. Through 2e and 3e and into Pathfinder, no one has ever played a gnome in my games.

Psyren
2015-04-30, 08:06 AM
Sorc seems to be the go to for our group. The group seems to dislike prepared casting, because even druids and clerics aren't all that common either.

Let them try Arcanist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/arcanist) - that kind of "spontaneous-prepared" casting might appeal to them. It's like being a sorcerer who can change his spells known every day.

EastbySoutheast
2015-04-30, 08:12 AM
At my table people very rarely play clerics. And if they are ever druids they always take ACF's to get rid of the animal companion saying that they are bad...
Whenever I DM a druid fight they ALWAYS have an animal companion cause I'm trying to make them see the light, and despite how well the druid and his animal pal do no one will take one if they play druid.
Sorry mini rant over

Geddy2112
2015-04-30, 10:54 AM
Kobolds-they are not banned but I don't think anybody I game with has even the slightest desire to play one

Every class has been played at least once, but most people at my table lean towards non magic users, partly because they don't want to bother with magic, and partly because they think grinding melee is the only way to have combat...It is rare to have a party where more than 50% of the characters have any casting ability.

RolkFlameraven
2015-04-30, 10:56 AM
Spirit Shaman and Wilder and the only classes I can think of that have never seen the light of day at some table I've played at. Bunch of classes and races that I've seen played only once though.

GreatDane
2015-04-30, 10:59 AM
We don't usually see half-orc at my table; none of us like playing a dumb character very much. For classes, nobody's ever played a bard.

Lerondiel
2015-04-30, 11:06 AM
Surprisingly wizard.

In all of my campaigns, I don't think anyone has gone Wizard.

Wow just thinking about it. In the last like 7 years, no one has gone Wizard. Thank you for blowing my mind as I hadn't really thought about it till now.

Wow indeed! I guess that keeps your warriors relevant for a lot longer which works in its own way.

EDIT: We have the reverse situation. I think I've seen one (drider) sorcerer in the last decade.

squiggit
2015-04-30, 11:08 AM
Mostly Pathfinder. Never seen anyone play an Oread or Kobold or Gillman.

I've never been in a group with a Druid and only seen a Swashbuckler once.

Seerow
2015-04-30, 11:20 AM
From of core, I have never seen a half-orc in play. Gnomes are rare but I've seen one or two. Also never seen someone play a Paladin. It's come up as an option a couple of times, but I can't remember ever seeing anybody with actual Paladin levels without homebrew being involved. I wanted to run an A-Game Paladin once, but that campaign fell apart before it started.

Outside of core there's plenty. It's one of the reasons I like 3.5, there's so much out there it's impossible to have seen it all, even before you start mixing and matching stuff.

lytokk
2015-04-30, 11:33 AM
I rarely ever see a dwarf or a half-orc, and the only time anyone ever played a wizard was when it was me but I was going into arcane archer. I've only ever seen 1 gnome, and that was because I asked the person who normally plays halflings to please play something else, which kinda defeated the purpose. Don't see regular elves much either. Also, now that I think about it, no one plays clerics either. No one can seem to get past the idea that a clerics job is to heal.

Janthkin
2015-04-30, 11:49 AM
Of core races, Gnomes & Halflings. No love for the little people, for whatever reason. I suspect much of it has to do with the movement rate penalty (though we have had a dwarf in recent memory).

Of core classes, Sorcerers, Wizards, & Paladins.

Our character turnover rate is pretty low, though.

Uncle Pine
2015-04-30, 11:56 AM
Of all the core races, the only one that I have never seen played at my tables is half-elf. At one point a player almost rolled a half-elf barbarian, but then switched to human. To be honest, I think that I've never even created a half-elf NPC.
The second least used race is gnome, but I regularly use it as a base for crazy alchemists, wizards and crafters. Outside core, we had a bit of everything from awakened badger to Colossal venerable dragonwrought kobold to feral half-minotaur <anything>, etc.

Speaking about base classes, I've never had a player roll an Archivist, Ardent, Artificer, Bard, Battle Dancer, Beguiler, Binder, Dragon Shaman, Dragonfire Adept, Dread Necromancer, Erudite, Favored Soul, Healer, Hexblade, Incarnate, Jester, Knight, Lurk, Mountebank, Ninja, Samurai (both CW and OA), Savant, Sha'ir, Shadowcaster, Shaman, Shugenja, Soulborn, Soulknife, Spirit Shaman, Truenamer, Warmage and Wu Jen. But I did have a Commoner PC at the table at one point.
Among these, the only ones I've never used as NPCs as well are Archivist, Ardent, Battle Dancer, Beguiler, Dragon Shaman, Dread Necromancer, Erudite, Favored Soul, Healer, Incarnate, Jester, Knight, Lurk, Mountebank, Ninja, Samurai (both CW and OA), Savant, Sha'ir, Shadowcaster, Shaman, Shugenja, Soulborn, Spirit Shaman, Truenamer, and Warmage. Which is still a lot of never used classes. I guess I like to stick to the basics and build from there. :smallredface:

TrollCapAmerica
2015-04-30, 12:03 PM
Hmm in 22+ years of gaming its actually changed every group and edition

1st ed with Grognards- If its not a multi-classed Elf your not playing

1st/2nd ed with friends in the backyard-Multi-classed Elves with a tiny sprinkling of single classed humans only using classes not available to Elves [Monks and Paladins and some Kits]

3rd ed with friends-Nobody that became a regular has ever played a Barbarian Monk Bard or Sorceror.Nobody has ever played a Halfling. An incredibly stupid individual that was another players ride was the only source of a Dwarf or Half-Orc and he was to lazy to walk across the room with a plate of sphaghetti without spilling it over character sheets. We have allowed in outsiders that have never lasted more than a few sessions and are the only Bards or Halflings we have encountered [and all have gotten themselves killed] . Once a regular played a Gnome Illusionist as a long term character. Another strange casualty was the disappearance of Clerics as nobody other than me [when taking time off DMing] has even touched one

PF/5E with group I met through college-Nobody wants to play a Cleric and "be the Healer" Probably the most diverse group ive played with because they have no clue about optimization and want to try everything.I do wish they would remember to actually name the characters they make though

Ahhh sharing your backstory is fun

j_spencer93
2015-04-30, 12:21 PM
Well

Any psionic besides a psychic warrior has never been played, and even psychic warriors was just to dip into a prestige.
Arcanist, dread necromancer, jester, marshal, warmage, healer (one is coming up though), beguiler, montebank, factotum (idk if spelled right), magewright, mystic, savant, sha'ir, shaman,

Races:
I think i have had about every race played by this point except those weird draconic flying things in FR that can bestow negative levels, Kir-lanan or some crap.

think that about covers it

Sian
2015-04-30, 12:24 PM
i think all races have figured at the tables i attended ... if not equally since i can only remember 2 or 3 Gnomes and the same ammount of Half-orcs and Halflings. Class-wise i think the rarest is either Ranger or ... well any base class in complete.

Theodred theOld
2015-04-30, 12:26 PM
Of the core races, gnomes have been notably absent from our sessions, including npcs. For whatever reason we just wrap our heads around gnomes. Every core class has been played at one point or another except for monk.

Ssalarn
2015-04-30, 02:39 PM
Halflings. Every other core race is pretty well represented in our gaming history, but halflings just don't make it to the table. Gnomes seem to fill in the small race requirement for us more often than not.

Sorcerers are the least represented core class in our games; I think I'm the only one who's ever played one, and that was like one time, as a drow envoy who started as an NPC before my other character.... parted ways with the group.

PsyBomb
2015-04-30, 02:48 PM
My groups love trying random stuff, but I have not yet seen a Tactician actually played at the table. For races, I have seen them all used, but half-elves are very rare. Only had two, and they were multiclassed builds

Ssalarn
2015-04-30, 03:04 PM
My groups love trying random stuff, but I have not yet seen a Tactician actually played at the table. For races, I have seen them all used, but half-elves are very rare. Only had two, and they were multiclassed builds

If we're including psionic classes, I don't know that I've ever seen anyone play a Wilder, and that's in both 3.x and Pathfinder/DSP. Literally every other psionic class (including the 3.5 Complete Psionic classes, even the Divine Mind) has seen play at least twice.

PsyBomb
2015-04-30, 03:08 PM
If we're including psionic classes, I don't know that I've ever seen anyone play a Wilder, and that's in both 3.x and Pathfinder/DSP. Literally every other psionic class (including the 3.5 Complete Psionic classes, even the Divine Mind) has seen play at least twice.

Heh, I've done two of those personally (although one was a one-shot, I was playing as Elsa at level 6)

Thurbane
2015-04-30, 04:33 PM
All of the PHB races have been played in our games, but precious few outside of that: Goblin (result of a reincarnated elf), Half-Ogre (RoD), Aasimar, Illumian and Catfolk.

Personally, I would like to see many more get played. I'd like to run an Equiceph or Ibixian, myself.

Spore
2015-04-30, 04:53 PM
For some weird reason everyone avoids bards as they seem like the weird stepchild of rogues, sorcerers and fighters. One of our first PCs SCREAMED bard but went for Fey Bloodline Sorcerer. A second one close to the bard fluff went for Protean Sorcerer. My own Lore Oracle could've been a Archivist Bard honestly, as well as a Cleric of the Goddess of Secrets and Freedom. Or a Wizard, or a Sorcerer.

For races, only Halflings are pretty much never used. I have a Halfling Cavalier/Paladin but other than that no one has even touched the Halfling race. They even want to cut Halflings from our homebrew worlds retconning existing Halflings to Gnomes (and other Fey folk). Only my PC and the necromantic maniac working for the BBEG are the only important Halflings.

Necroticplague
2015-04-30, 05:06 PM
I think I may very well be the only one at my table who has even considered anything that isn't a Core race. Or applying a template to anything.

Hypername
2015-04-30, 05:18 PM
Well in my group noone has ever played a Dwarf (I'll make one though) or a Halfling. Usually Halflings are reserved for NPCs.
Also noone apart from me has ever played a Half-Elf.
Of the Featured and Uncommon races only one Strix, a couple of Tieflings and Aasimars, a Catfolk, a Dhampir, a couple of Kitsunes and a Fetchling have seen play.
As for Classes, noone has ever played Arcanist, Brawler, Investigator,Shaman. Only I have ever played Sorcerer and Bloodrager once.

ben-zayb
2015-04-30, 05:21 PM
If we include the more popular subsystems of psionics and maneuvers, nobody ever used a psionic class except for soulknives and only one person ever used ToB material.

atemu1234
2015-04-30, 05:24 PM
No one in my group has ever played a half-orc half-human.

Thurbane
2015-04-30, 05:38 PM
In terms of classes, we rarely stray outside of core, or occasionally core + PHB2. I'm usually the only DM who allows stuff from other books in my group.

Outside of core, we've had: Beguiler, Dragon Shaman, Duskblade, Factotum, Favored Soul, Knight, Swashbuckler, Warblade, Warlock and Warmage.

...so many classes we haven't played. :smalleek: