PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can Blink spell be used to move through a wall?

Cendorn
2015-04-30, 07:33 AM
Hi,

3rd level spell "Blink" says: "At the start of your next turn... you return [from the Ethereal plane] to an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within 10 feet..."

So, can the space I return to be one I couldn't see from the material plane (e.g. on the other side of a 5' wall), but that I can see while on the ethereal plane?

I.e. can I use the spell to move through a solid wall?

BR
Cendorn

GutterFace
2015-04-30, 07:55 AM
if you cannot see the other side, how do you know the wall is 5' thick?

Cendorn
2015-04-30, 10:06 AM
Can you not see through the wall while on the Ethereal plane?

If not, then the case is of course simple.

GutterFace
2015-04-30, 10:35 AM
Can you not see through the wall while on the Ethereal plane?

If not, then the case is of course simple.

that's a good question....the DMG says you have limited sight on the Ethereal Plane because of "mist" so....possibly your vision is even more limited? but i don't see anything else about the Material Plane's physical presence being translucent....

jkat718
2015-04-30, 12:13 PM
if you cannot see the other side, how do you know the wall is 5' thick?

Wall of glass/force/bars? Holes in the wall? Obviously not helpful in most dungeons, but could be (situationally) useful.

Shining Wrath
2015-04-30, 12:32 PM
Sounds like the RAI is that you don't gain the ability to do this ... but it's an interesting question, because when you return it is from the ethereal plane, and thus you need to be able to choose your destination while there. Where you just might be able to see stuff.

But yeah, if there's one brick loose in the wall, go for it.

Vogonjeltz
2015-04-30, 04:12 PM
Hi,

3rd level spell "Blink" says: "At the start of your next turn... you return [from the Ethereal plane] to an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within 10 feet..."

So, can the space I return to be one I couldn't see from the material plane (e.g. on the other side of a 5' wall), but that I can see while on the ethereal plane?

BR
Cendorn

Nothing in the spell says you can see through walls, so no you couldn't use the return function at the end to go somewhere you can't see.

That being said, you are only seeing the material plane, so you could walk past the vision of the wall to the other side to see what is there and reappear on that side if so desired. You just can't port past it without using your movement is all. And if you're standing in the wall when the effect ends you get the benefit of not dying as long as there's a visible space within 10 feet.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-30, 04:15 PM
I'm less sure how this spell would interact with things like arcane eye and bound vision. If you can see it, but just don't have line of sight, I suspect it should still work by the RAW, even if it involved moving through a solid wall of force or something else that it probably shouldn't.

Dexam
2015-04-30, 11:21 PM
Hi,

BR
Cendorn

While you are Ethereal, you cannot see through a solid wall. However, because you are Ethereal, you could Move through the wall, see what's on the other side, and then return to a space within 10 feet that you can see.

Chronos
2015-05-01, 02:58 PM
You can't use your move while ethereal, because you're only ever ethereal when it's not your turn.

VoxRationis
2015-05-02, 03:10 PM
I take it Blink no longer works like I remember it (AFB currently). How does it work now (also, what in the world was it useful for back in the day)?

SharkForce
2015-05-02, 03:26 PM
I take it Blink no longer works like I remember it (AFB currently). How does it work now (also, what in the world was it useful for back in the day)?

these days you have a chance to become ethereal at the end of your turn (roughly 50%) and at the start of your turn if you are ethereal you can become material again in a location you can see within 10 feet.