PDA

View Full Version : Hoard of the Dragon Treasures

ArcaneGlyph
2015-04-30, 10:12 AM
This is the first thing I am running in 5th ed and so far the campaign seems very very light on any magic items or scrolls and potions. I am considering adding some, but I don't want to break the campaign balance. Any suggestions from those who have completed the module?

BRC
2015-04-30, 10:18 AM
5e is generally much lighter on magic items than 3.5. This is intentional, so as to avoid the Christmas Tree effect that would show up earlier.

Personally, rather than try to insert more magic items, I would tweak the magic items to be sure they're going to be relevant to your party. If you don't have any PC's using two handed weapons, don't give them a magic greatsword.

also +1 leather armor is totally worthless, since it gives the same bonuses as studded leather.

Mandragola
2015-04-30, 11:02 AM
You're the DM, so do what you want! If you think it would be fun to have some magic items then add them. Maybe look ahead to see if they'd break anything.

A tip though: there's not much balance in hotdq, so nothing to break. It's incredibly dangerous - actually borderline impossible. You're likely to find that you need to add healing just for the characters to survive chapter one.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-30, 11:23 AM
Two popular options:

Hand out consumables as the default magic loot. The items will be used up, so you don't have to deal with your players being permanently more powerful. Potions are simple, easy, and lore-friendly.
Use items of the "almost useful" variety, which are more flavorful than anything. There's a whole thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?399328-List-of-Mostly-Useless-Magic-Items) of these, growing daily.

coredump
2015-04-30, 01:46 PM
HotDQ is *very* light on magic in the beginning episodes, even by 5E standards.

You can add some, or you can 'move' some from later episodes. (And some of the magic is almost impossible to get or find....)

OTOH, the lack of magic items hasn't really effected gameplay much. Be careful when adding items, its very easy to add too many in 5E.

Safety Sword
2015-04-30, 06:27 PM
Two popular options:
Hand out consumables as the default magic loot. The items will be used up, so you don't have to deal with your players being permanently more powerful. Potions are simple, easy, and lore-friendly.

One important thing to remember when you do this is that it's OK for the NPCs to actually use the items too!

They don't just carry around scrolls and potions for heroes to loot off them.

Easy_Lee
2015-04-30, 06:38 PM
One important thing to remember when you do this is that it's OK for the NPCs to actually use the items too!

They don't just carry around scrolls and potions for heroes to loot off them.

Definitely. That's one of the things that game makers in general often forget. I can't tell you how many MMOs I've played where NPCs don't use the weapons and armor they drop, or don't drop the weapons and armor they use.

It might encourage players to set ambushes, or end fights more quickly, or coordinate their attacks so as to prevent NPCs from using their consumables. But I wouldn't see that as a bad thing.

Madfellow
2015-04-30, 07:03 PM
This is the first thing I am running in 5th ed and so far the campaign seems very very light on any magic items or scrolls and potions. I am considering adding some, but I don't want to break the campaign balance. Any suggestions from those who have completed the module?

I added two magic items to my run of HotDQ: a +1 spear belonging to Frulam Mondath and a +1 sword belonging to Draelmorre Borngrey. Frulam's spear is made of dragon bone and grants its wielder a boost in confidence. Draelmorre's sword is of elven make and grants its wielder an unshakeable sense of hope.

Falcon X
2015-05-01, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I'm giving my people more items than the book says. But most are oriented towards my specific character and game. For example:

1. For the rogue - Major plot device. So, in my game, I'm blending multiple modules into one giant story capstoning in 2nd editions Die Vecna Die. So, in the Episode 2 cave, I had our newest player, who has no clue what it is, find the Eye of Vecna. It immediately compelled her to keep it a secret. She will be holding this thing the whole game with nobody else knowing!

2. Druid - I did a side quest for episode 4 that gave her an upgrade to her shillelagh. She dipped it in a pool of water that is effectively a bubble to the positive energy plane, and the staff started growing leaves on the top of it every day that had random, minor-potion-like effects. Got this one on a side-quest involving her caravan employer.

3. Warlock - Minor Chain Blast-Shape upgrade. Yeah, slightly OP, but the Warlock has been really sucking up to his patron. I gave him a rod that has one of his eldritch blast rays bounce to a second target for half damage. He got it on a side-quest by exploring a short cave.

4. Elturel fun and games - Masterwork greatword and potions - While in Elturel, I had Unthar Frume give a festival where there were games with prizes. The party got vouchers to potion shops, clothing shops, and one got a masterwork greatsword (yeah, I homebrewed it in).

ad_hoc
2015-05-01, 11:34 AM
Here are two ways you can seamlessly add magic items to it.

You can give 1 item to each of the important NPCs.

You can roll on the DMG treasure tables whenever they find a treasure trove in the adventure.

ArcaneGlyph
2015-05-01, 02:50 PM
Thanks All,

It was mostly scrolls for an increase to the mage's list, though I think I'll be smattering about a few more healing potions as the party gets half gibbed almost every encounter. I think i'll take the advice and re-engineer the loot tables a bit for my party's sake.

Still having fun and about halfway through the book so far :)

Mjolnirbear
2015-05-01, 03:48 PM
For wizards or those with the Ritual Casting feat, adding scrolls is important, else you eliminate some of the best reasons to take these options.

My DM, rather than bother with it, made a house rule: I could spend down time and gold to research rituals. I don't actually get the benefits until level 8 when I choose my next feat. My sorceror suddenly has more casting options!