PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What spells for a Factotum skillmonkey? A Factotum Gish?

Mr Adventurer
2015-04-30, 11:25 AM
I'm struggling a bit with my spell selection on my Factotum. He does some skill monkey/face stuff and some combat. He's 18th level.

There's no party wizard and the only other spellcaster is a Druid.

Our sources allowed are the WotC sourcebooks except relating to psionics. No Dragon or Dungeon.

At the moment I keep a Draconic Flight spell to give me wings; Locate Object because it's super useful for finding stuff; Bite of the Were tiger or bear for when more combat power is needed; and a Dimension Door or Greater Dimension Door.

I can have one 7th level spell and some 6th level spells.

I really like the spells I cast to feel like just the right thing for the right occasion.

bekeleven
2015-04-30, 05:33 PM
I don't have much time to answer this, but as a jumping-off point, I'll give you the spells I had collected for a 15th-level factotum assassin in an old campaign.

6: Greater Anticipate Teleportation (SC), Greater Dispel Magic, Disintegrate, Contingency, Gemjump (SC), Superior Resistance (SC)
5: Wall of Force, Fabricate, Overland Flight, Shadow Evocation, Dominate Person, Leomund's Hidden Lodge (SC), Shadow Form (SC), Teleport, Major Creation
4: Translocation Trick (SC), Create Fetch (SC), Polymorph, Shadow Conjuration, Ray Deflection (SC), Trollshape (PHB2), Freedom of Movement
3: Shivering Touch (SC)
2: Alter Self, Invisibility, Whispercast (LoM)
1: Nerveskitter (SC)

This is a good list for stealth, subterfuge, utility, and a bit of multipurpose/combat (Polymorph, Trollshape, Disitegrate, and Shadow spells mainly). I focused somewhat on passive buffs since I spent combats doing other things - Many of the higher-level spells here last all day. Being 15th level, my factotum obviously had no 7th level spells. As a quick list, I recommend Elemental Body (SC) as a long-term buff, Energy Absortion (CM) as a long term buff that's not as good, Glass Strike (SC) for undead and constructs, Ironguard (SC) to be basically invincible, Body of War (SC) for punching, Limited Wish for anything, You never know when you'll need to Plane Shift, Scalding Touch (MoE) if you can pump DCs, Amber Sarcophagus (BoED) if you can't.

Oh, if you don't like Scalding Touch or Amber Sarcophagus, look at Sonorous Hum (SC) + Spectral Dragon (SC) for boss fights.

SinsI
2015-05-01, 07:13 AM
What spells do your party members have?
What magic items (that cast spells) do you have?

Frankly, at lvl 18 your wealth should be high enough to make your question moot, as you can afford any spell scrolls you need - just select something that you are sure to use almost daily.

Mr Adventurer
2015-05-12, 07:22 AM
Thanks for those good responses so far!

As I mentioned in the OP, the only other player is a Druid. He tends to use his spells for buffing and blasting. We don't have any other spellcasters, so I'm a bit worried about needing to fill essential gaps that a Wizard would normally take care of at this level.

It's a freewheeling, low-op game. We're restricted in what items we can have by what's available in towns (you need a big settlement to find the items you need at 18th level) and the time needed to craft the custom items we want - the campaign is on the clock.