PDA

View Full Version : What's the one trick you can't believe your GM allowed?

Septimus Faber
2015-04-30, 12:02 PM
[deleted.]

SixWingedAsura
2015-04-30, 01:08 PM
Less a trick that I did and more of a trick I let my players get away with. During an infiltration mission in a modern day game, two of the players literally walked right in the front door, guns being worn openly and had the gall to tell the security there that they were there to use the restroom...a nat 20 later and I was too busy laughing at the sheer audacity to tell them no.

Friv
2015-04-30, 01:12 PM
Boat catapult.

Specifically, the exact conversation went something like this:

A: "Man, we have got to do something about this Dukantha problem."
B: "I could try to ram his boat. I have a magic power that lets me take 1 damage to prevent all damage to my boat from one hit."
A: "Yeah, but his boat is a giant demon-monster. It won't take any damage."
B: "True. It's a shame I don't have anything to turn my boat into a holy weapon. Those ignore demon soak."
C: "Yeah, that's too bad. I can make my arrows holy with magic, but it's not like I can fire a boat from my bow."
B: "... or can you?"

Me (as GM): :smalleek:

mikeejimbo
2015-04-30, 01:22 PM
Boat catapult.

B: "I could try to ram his boat. I have a magic power that lets me take 1 damage to prevent all damage to my boat from one hit."
B: "True. It's a shame I don't have anything to turn my boat into a holy weapon. Those ignore demon soak."
C: "Yeah, that's too bad. I can make my arrows holy with magic, but it's not like I can fire a boat from my bow."

I would be thrilled if my players worked together like that.

darkscizor
2015-04-30, 01:39 PM
As a GM, I and my groups are very partial to grafts.

In my homebrew RPG I made at the beginning of 8th grade, one PC received a transformation into a centaur after he was petrified from the waist down by a beholder. Then, the next PC was killed by a hellhound while attempting to attach it's head to his hand. In my D&D 5e campaign later, one PC won a gladiatorial murderfest and gained a T-Rex eye. A monk PC came very close to winning and adding the T-Rex in question's claws to his hands. Almost.

The Grue
2015-04-30, 01:41 PM
I once nuked an army by detonating a complete Necklace of Fireballs.

I don't think spell areas are additive like that, but it was cool as hell and my DM was grinning like a kid on Christmas morning.

Keltest
2015-04-30, 01:56 PM
We killed a dragon by dropping an enlarged stone dwarf on it from a high altitude. Shockingly, the dwarf surived once he was returned to flesh.

Hunter Noventa
2015-04-30, 02:03 PM
We realized that there was a dungeon down a well, effectively, and rather than go right in, we went to visit the local alchemist we'd befriended and got a sample of his pet brown mold, the kind that grows when exposed to fire, put it into a box, strapped several vials of Alchemist's Fire to said box and dropped it down the well. We were low level enough that this was terrifyingly effective biological warfare.

Genth
2015-04-30, 02:08 PM
Me: "Does this old ruin of a castle have ventilation shafts?"
GM: "Errr... Yes, sure"

*Cue the tiny, stealthy Wayang witch creeping through the ducts and hexing everything into piles of goo, without being seen and using ventriloquism + cackle to make it's voice appear to be coming from everywhere at once*

Frozen_Feet
2015-04-30, 03:13 PM
Letting my players bombard the imperial capitol with multiplying, exploding, undead hamsters from inside an undead dragon they'd turned into an airplane.

Note to self: animate dead for that system needs better rules.

The craziest I've gotten away with... hmmm... oh yeah, playing an aged racist crime boss (while wearing a pimpin' mustache, I might add) and during the character creation process, announcing the Duke that had us all imprisoned was my son. Also, insinuating the horrible screams from down the hall way were from little girls. I tried to add "or maybe little boys, don't remember which way that lousy bastard swings", but then I got vetoed. :smalltongue:

Mexikorn
2015-04-30, 03:24 PM
Not as impressive as some of the things I read here but my druid once combined a summoned Dire Skunk's spray/fart attack with a Gust of Wind spell as an improvised debuff to my enemies.

Red Fel
2015-04-30, 03:26 PM
Some of the best tricks I've seen - alas, none of my own devising - were from the same campaign, a Dragonlance campaign with a permissive/mellow/awesome DM who thought that, if you could make a reasonable argument for something and it would be fun for everyone involved, you should be able to do it.

Revolutionary, I know.

Here are three of them:

One of our players really wanted to play a robot. Our DM cobbled together some construct stats and declared him a "Divine Construct of Reorx." (We didn't have Warforged, we were so poor.) This player then came up with ways to mount various things - a bag of holding in his chest cavity (he kept a cat in there sometimes), crossbows on his forearms, all sorts of things. And the DM rolled with it, because robot. The Divine Construct served another of our PCs, a Gnomish engineer. At one point, our current location - a small desert oasis town - was being approached by a hostile force of Black Knights. Our Gnome asks if there are magnifying glasses and mirrors - standard goods - available in town, and in what quantities. Buys up a bunch of them. Does some skill checks - aided by the Divine Construct - and declares that he is going to build a parabolic laser. Allowed. Several ranged attack rolls later, the Black Knights - stupid enough to attack a desert town in midday in their painted-black full plate - have been boiled in their own juices. Another of our PCs was a Black Robe Wizard with a fondness for Necromancy. She had a Robe of Bones (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#robeofBones). You know the one - black robe with skeletal patterns on it, rip off a pattern and it turns into an undead. Well, her player had a question. Yes, by RAW, there is no way to re-attach the patterns. But a Robe had to be made somehow, right? And it involved necromancy and the Craft Wondrous Items feat, right? So what if she had that feat? Could she raise her own undead, then weave them into the robe for storage? Answer: Yes, yes she could. And that's how she stored her undead dragon.
I mean, I can believe he allowed this. He allowed awesome stuff. I'd be impressed if other DMs allowed it, though.

The Evil DM
2015-04-30, 03:50 PM
Dwarves with magical cannon balls which double as earth elemental prisons. The prisons break after the cannon ball strikes a stone target releasing the angry elemental spirit into the target.

Fire several volleys of those at enemy fortress.

In 2nd ed a DM allowed me to research a spell that would permanently reduce the size of a boulder to a tiny grain of sand. It was a variant of an existing spell and the DM wondered why I wanted it.

Over the course of several months game/real time I collected boulders into a tiny vial, storing the vial in my Leomunds Secret Chest.

Then I researched a special magical item. A golden ring about 8 inches across with a field that would cast dispel on any items passed through the ring. Almost like a demagnetization coil but it was a demagic coil. DM thought ok what damage could that do and let me research it.

Along comes enemy army. I retrieve my vial of boulders, fly up in the air and sprinkle the boulder sand through the ring raining boulders from the sky.

Sith_Happens
2015-04-30, 03:53 PM
Boat catapult.

Exalted, you're doing it right.

GrayGriffin
2015-04-30, 04:05 PM
Using Intimidate to resist a mental intrusion. My logic was that there should be something sentient on the other side of the intrusion attempt, and therefore intimidating it would break its concentration/get it to back off.

Later on I also used Intimidate against a bunch of trees radiating a fear aura, rolling high enough to make one tree completely lose its fear aura.

Keltest
2015-04-30, 04:12 PM
Using Intimidate to resist a mental intrusion. My logic was that there should be something sentient on the other side of the intrusion attempt, and therefore intimidating it would break its concentration/get it to back off.

Later on I also used Intimidate against a bunch of trees radiating a fear aura, rolling high enough to make one tree completely lose its fear aura.

Don't you need to be sentient (ie feel emotions) in order to be affected by intimidate?

Rhaegar14
2015-04-30, 04:23 PM
So this one time, we were in a dungeon in a pocket dimension of the Negative Energy Plane to retrieve the Sword of Kas. We were fighting the dungeon's final boss, a lich, when the hallway we were in exploded and opened itself to the void and we needed a way to cross the debris. One one of the larger platforms, we ended up fighting a zombie dragon. Playing my werewolf, I jokingly announce that I am going to attempt to mount the dragon.

This was no longer a joke when the DM asked me for a roll. I'm pretty sure I got a natural 20 on my Athletics check. Two turns later and I've made the Nature (somehow) check to make the thing submit to my will. All six of us climbed on it and we ended up riding it into the last platform where the lich stood, and then the dragon died on arrival because it had about two hit points left when I had gotten it under control.

D-naras
2015-04-30, 04:32 PM
Don't you need to be sentient (ie feel emotions) in order to be affected by intimidate?

No if you are a tree with a fear aura.

Sith_Happens
2015-04-30, 05:17 PM

Hence why that post is in this thread.

Keltest
2015-04-30, 05:22 PM
Hence why that post is in this thread.

Touche....

darkscizor
2015-04-30, 09:24 PM
I tamed five owlbears and a brown bear in one campaign at level one. My DM pretty much allowed any nature roll over 10 to work to tame them, and we ended the campaign soon after.

GrayGriffin
2015-04-30, 10:32 PM

The DM did say I'd have to roll really high (I got 23 on 3d6+6). And it was suggested that the trees were extensions of the will of whatever was behind the evil forest.

BWR
2015-05-01, 12:27 AM
Using Commune to zero in on locations hidden by other magic ("Is X north of this line on the map? Is it west of that line?") Commune was later ruled to be only usable once per adventure.

Using RL physics to create extra powerful 'catapult' attacks. We had a fortified supergolem that was not only immune to magic but had an AMF that reached out absurdly far. Like a couple hundred feet, iirc. It was also murder in close combat and protected by a platoon of rather powerful troops. So we cast Item on boulders and had him DD above the golem and drop the stone from high enough that it hit terminal velocity (or near enough). So big rocks that weighed 500 lbs when shrunk suddenly became 1000 lb rocks falling very fast, with appropriate increases in force and damage. A couple of those did the trick.

TurboGhast
2015-05-01, 08:23 AM
During a 4e campaign, everyone at the table completely forgot that getting push off something gives you a living throw to prevent it, and the DM let me use tide of iron to knock a demon into a river and said that it just straight drowned, because it was too heavy to swim. :smalltongue:

Anonymouswizard
2015-05-01, 09:07 AM
Let's see, we once bound a demon to a notebook to avoid writing anything down when interrogating it.

I also once managed to convince a demon that he had never met me before, after he had read my mind and knew my entire history. We would have caught him easily if he hadn't rolled a critical success to detect the hiding nuns.

tomandtish
2015-05-01, 12:38 PM
Back in the old days (before there were any official rules for druids casting while in a shape-changed form), I'd had a conversation with my DM during creation about animal forms. During that conversation:

Me: "How dexterous do you think a chimpanzee is? I mean manual dexterity".

Him: "I don't know, but I imagine it is pretty high".

Me: "So human or elf equivalent? And not counting strength could do anything a human could?"

Him: "Oh, at least".

(I was playing a Druid/M-U, so was going to have access to the vocalize spell anyway, but got an amulet of vocalize).

Fast forward to two months later. I've infiltrated the menagerie of the BBEG and am hiding among the other chimps. One chimp is being selected by a servant to go to the BBEG's room.

Me: "To make sure I'm selected I'll cast Charm person on the servant".

Him: "But you have vocal components".

Me: "Vocalize amulet".

Him: "But you also have somatic components".

Me: "But if you remember our conversation a few months ago, we agreed that a chimpanzee has equivalent manual dexterity to a human or elf, and can do anything that they could do not limited by strength".

Him: ".... You as****le"!

Thus began the saga of the fireball throwing chimp.

Feddlefew
2015-05-01, 01:00 PM
I've derailed an entire campaign with Locate Object by giving everyone in the party (and important NPCs) UV tattoos, and used at-will Freedom of Movement to ruin elaborate boss encounters.

One DM has banned me from playing a cleric with the Travel domain ever again. The second one hasn't, but probably will when I get t 3rd level spells. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anonymouswizard
2015-05-01, 01:43 PM
I've derailed an entire campaign with Locate Object by giving everyone in the party (and important NPCs) UV tattoos, and used at-will Freedom of Movement to ruin elaborate boss encounters.

One DM has banned me from playing a cleric with the Travel domain ever again. The second one hasn't, but probably will when I get t 3rd level spells. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At least you haven't been banned from optimising (I do it without trying, so one GM basically bans what I want to do and refuses to let me use system tricks. He'd get annoyed at me using Time of Battle for two reasons), to the point that I've recently received a request not to break Werewolf into tiny little pieces.

I expect I'll be banned from using downtime next, seeing as my character is currently optimised towards cranking out magic items.

Feddlefew
2015-05-01, 01:48 PM
At least you haven't been banned from optimising (I do it without trying, so one GM basically bans what I want to do and refuses to let me use system tricks. He'd get annoyed at me using Time of Battle for two reasons), to the point that I've recently received a request not to break Werewolf into tiny little pieces.

I expect I'll be banned from using downtime next, seeing as my character is currently optimised towards cranking out magic items.

My "optimized" cleric was tossed, so I'm using the one with the "useless" domains... :smallwink:

Edit: Yes, my DM has a poor grasp on just how powerful some utility spells are.

Anonymouswizard
2015-05-01, 02:32 PM
My "optimized" cleric was tossed, so I'm using the one with the "useless" domains... :smallwink:

Edit: Yes, my DM has a poor grasp on just how powerful some utility spells are.

Did I ever tell you how I managed to get the Rite of Fetish passed by my GM? By making a character with few dots in any combat skills except firearms. But I have firearms 3, wits 3 and rituals 3, the rite of fetish, a wise guy as a contact, and a corporate wolf as an ally. :smallwink: People never see how horrible 'useless' stuff is until my character pulls out the aggravated damage dealing full auto weapons. I'm the only person in my group who has realised the potential of Create in M&M, for instance.

All the ban on optimising has done is made me better at optimising, with the exception of a trial character for pathfinder. But that one was fun, just because the wizard thought he'd be really useful and take all the blasty spells, one dex-based fighter later and he was complaining about never getting to use his cones (I had suggested that he focus on single target or buffs, but he wanted boom). I had to leave that game before I could go eldritch knight with transmuter levels though.

Freelance GM
2015-05-02, 04:49 PM
Me (DMing): "Sure, the whole party can climb in- the bag of holding is roughly the size of a duffel bag, but there's only about ten minutes of air inside."
Party Ranger: "...Only if we close it."

This single revelation lead to many shenanigans.

Feddlefew
2015-05-02, 05:12 PM
Me (DMing): "Sure, the whole party can climb in- the bag of holding is roughly the size of a duffel bag, but there's only about ten minutes of air inside."
Party Ranger: "...Only if we close it."

This single revelation lead to many shenanigans.

I never thought of that.:smalleek:

DoctorFaust
2015-05-02, 05:27 PM
There was a freeform multiverse game I was in a while ago where the DM allowed me to play a character that could see how to kill just about anything, from gods to concepts to potential futures, with a single cut or by stabbing it under certain circumstances. While this by itself is pretty bad, my character was still limited by what a human could conceivably cut in one go.

A friend of mine was also in the game, and his character gave him access to a weapon that reverses causality to always hits its target. That's also bad.

What made this frankly unbelievable was that the DM had personally approved each players character, knew about our abilities, and then let him give me the weapon.

Anonymouswizard
2015-05-02, 05:32 PM
There was a freeform multiverse game I was in a while ago where the DM allowed me to play a character that could see how to kill just about anything, from gods to concepts to potential futures, with a single cut or by stabbing it under certain circumstances. While this by itself is pretty bad, my character was still limited by what a human could conceivably cut in one go.

A friend of mine was also in the game, and his character gave him access to a weapon that reverses causality to always hits its target. That's also bad.

What made this frankly unbelievable was that the DM had personally approved each players character, knew about our abilities, and then let him give me the weapon.

Shiki with Gae Bolg? No way that could go wrong. :smallwink:

DoctorFaust
2015-05-02, 06:03 PM
Shiki with Gae Bolg? No way that could go wrong. :smallwink:

Well, from my perspective, it went perfectly, but I think the DM would disagree. :smalltongue:

But yeah, Ryougi and Archer is a totally broken combination.

Anonymouswizard
2015-05-02, 06:24 PM
Well, from my perspective, it went perfectly, but I think the DM would disagree. :smalltongue:

But yeah, Ryougi and Archer is a totally broken combination.

Lancer, Archer's the sword summoner.

I'm considering creating a Nasuverse hack for Fate (the tabletop one), but just can't work out how to do reality marbles, apart from a vague 'as extras'. Magecraft would simply be an extra that allowed you to use a couple of skills differently, and noble phantasms fit as extras/stunts depending in the exact type, but reality marbles evade a simple definition, and will probably require a per-case basis. Strangely, Marble Phantasm is easier to stat. I should probably take this to homebrew though.

Sith_Happens
2015-05-02, 10:22 PM
I'm considering creating a Nasuverse hack for Fate (the tabletop one), but just can't work out how to do reality marbles, apart from a vague 'as extras'. Magecraft would simply be an extra that allowed you to use a couple of skills differently, and noble phantasms fit as extras/stunts depending in the exact type, but reality marbles evade a simple definition, and will probably require a per-case basis. Strangely, Marble Phantasm is easier to stat. I should probably take this to homebrew though.

The thing about extras is, sometimes you just have to say "This is what this ability does" without connecting it to existing mechanics. Reality marbles are definitely a case of this; someone manifests their reality marble, the reality marble manifests and everyone in range is now in it, no ifs, ands, or buts. The features of a specific reality marble once manifested, on the other hand, can possibly be couched in existing mechanics depending on what those features are.

BootStrapTommy
2015-05-02, 11:58 PM
I once nuked an army by detonating a complete Necklace of Fireballs.

I don't think spell areas are additive like that, but it was cool as hell and my DM was grinning like a kid on Christmas morning. This, except while in a grapple with a vampire. Took out everyone but the party cleric (fire resistance). Paid for it though. Got bitten just before, DM ruled me infected.

Suichimo
2015-05-03, 12:50 AM
This was in a Pathfinder game. I don't remember the exact details of the story but I had wound up walking up an endless stair case that I was sure had something at the top. The rest of the group had decided that they had better things to do. In doing those things, they effectively turned off the staircase.

This left me in a predicament as I was several hundred feet up, at least. So, as I'm falling, I have the brilliant idea of hopping in to my bag of holding. I proceeded to land safely, much to my DM's annoyance.

Anonymouswizard
2015-05-03, 03:52 AM
The thing about extras is, sometimes you just have to say "This is what this ability does" without connecting it to existing mechanics. Reality marbles are definitely a case of this; someone manifests their reality marble, the reality marble manifests and everyone in range is now in it, no ifs, ands, or buts. The features of a specific reality marble once manifested, on the other hand, can possibly be couched in existing mechanics depending on what those features are.

Yeah, I just never have a chance to get skilled with fate as nobody can be asked to give the 'free game!' a try. Sometimes with a cry of 'I'm dyslexic' (didn't stop a doctor I know writing a PhD thesis or a game). So I don't have the experience to know how the mechanics are twistable/ignorable.

Let's have a Fate Point cost for invoking a Reality Marble though.

This was in a Pathfinder game. I don't remember the exact details of the story but I had wound up walking up an endless stair case that I was sure had something at the top. The rest of the group had decided that they had better things to do. In doing those things, they effectively turned off the staircase.

This left me in a predicament as I was several hundred feet up, at least. So, as I'm falling, I have the brilliant idea of hopping in to my bag of holding. I proceeded to land safely, much to my DM's annoyance.

Did you at least leave it open to let more air in?

Sith_Happens
2015-05-03, 04:21 AM
Let's have a Fate Point cost for invoking a Reality Marble though.

Don't forget a hefty refresh cost for having it in the first place.

Feddlefew
2015-05-04, 12:46 PM
My DM may be restarting the campaign because he lost his notes during a move (or something along those lines), so when I remake my character I'm going to see if I can get him to approve the Celerity domain. Being able to move 70ft per round at first level will be fun. :smallamused:

Edit: Any suggestions for shenanigans I can pull with a speedy cloistered cleric?

Lord Loss
2015-05-04, 06:02 PM
Back in highschool, as a DM I vastly reduced the level adjustments oh half-dragons, and allowed a player to use some refluffed raptoran-specific PRC granting him increased flyby attack damage as a base class (or something similar). I was green, and the results were quite broken, considering the low-op nature of the game (the rest of the party consisted of a Paladin, a Shadowcaster and a Samurai).

Rakoa
2015-05-04, 10:15 PM
In my 3.5 game, I just took the feat Craft Universal Item or whatever the Psionic feat is, crafted up a Torc of Power Preservation, Psychic Reformation'd away the feat, and now I'm the torc with Bestow Power and Earth Power for all PP, all day, every day.

Pretty surprised I'm getting away with it.

GungHo
2015-05-05, 09:28 AM
I didn't know it was a trick at the time, but I was playing a gnome cleric with a crossbow who had a terrible THAC0 (low level) and had a very low chance to hit a rakshasa and I didn't have a magical crossbow. So, I roleplayed that the little guy was praying to his god to be able to hit (I wasn't attempting to meta-game at all, as I was quite new) and I rolled a 20, so I did hit. The DM then had the rakshasa die and said the crossbow bolt was blessed. I then said (to everyone's amazement, and in character), "you mean that **** works? You're the best god ever."

Chimera245
2015-05-06, 12:50 PM
We once obtained a magical amulet, that (among a few other minor powers) acted as a Gentle Repose on whatever body was wearing it.

Later in the same dungeon, we fought and killed a giant monster crab.

When a couple of other party members were complaining about all the crab meat going to waste, I said "Wait, let's put the amulet on it!" then shoved the dead crab on a Tenser's floating disc.

We ate like kings on the week-long trek back to town, and then sold the rest of our exotic seafood to the tavern for a huge profit.

Cealocanth
2015-05-06, 01:30 PM
Back in my greener DM years I actually allowed my D&D party to have and operate an extremely technologically advanced plasma rifle. This thing had virtually infinite charges and could blow a 2' wide hole in pretty much every material on the planet. Gee, I wonder how that could possibly go wrong?

It was meant as a bargaining chip against a dragon that was way higher level than the players that wanted to destroy the town, but it quickly turned into a weapon of mass destruction as is to be expected.

Ares B
2015-05-06, 01:45 PM
Rolemaster: Feeding a Kraken some meat that was laced with cheap, highly addictive herbs, then waiting until it was crippled by withdrawal symptoms. Still a tough fight.

The Second
2015-05-07, 01:56 AM
So, we were in the middle of an ice cave, my fighter/cleric being grappled by an white pudding. Rest of the party was incapacitated by the pudding, except for the party's other fighter.

Me: Take my fire arrows and shoot the pudding, quick!

Other guy: Can I grab the arrows without being grappled?

DM: Hm, roll reflex.

Other guy: 6.

DM: You get grappled.

Me: Crap. Now what?

Other guy: What if I take your fire arrows and my arrows of detonation and stab the pudding with them?

Me: Huh?

DM: Hm, I'd allow it.

Me: What!?

Everyone else: Stunned silence.

Other guy: So that's six fire arrows and ten arrows of detonation...

Me: Just use the fire arrows!

Other guy: Rolls dice. "Oooh." Rolls more dice. "Nice."

Me: Are you even listening to me? Don't use the arrows of detonation!

Everyone else: This won't end well.

The session ended with the party smeared across the walls of the ice cave.

Leon
2015-05-07, 06:16 AM
Ballista's With Weighty Chest cast on the bolts them to stop an otherwise overly powerful flight of Dragons from taking out our airship. Dragons don't fly well when their weight suddenly increases rapidly per bolt in them.

TheCountAlucard
2015-05-07, 08:11 AM
Rolemaster: Feeding a Kraken some meat that was laced with cheap, highly addictive herbs, then waiting until it was crippled by withdrawal symptoms. Still a tough fight.They did something similar in the Exalted supplement, Masters of Jade - agents of the Guild approach the monstrous Grand Amanuta in their ships, and drop overboard a whale carcass stuffed with a fortune's worth of black tar opium, and when the Grand Amanuta lapses into a drugged stupor, the ships' crews peel layers off the behemoth's thick shell.

Said shell scrapings are shaped into lightweight armor plates, ground up as aphrodisiacs, and a number of other purposes; unfortunately fits of withdrawal have led the Grand Amanuta into the trade routes, and it's taken to destroying ships in search of its fix…

Witty Username
2015-05-09, 01:10 AM
Well, these are fun.

I think my best personally(although impossible without DM love) done was turning myself into a coffee-powered lightning cannon. We were fighting a fire monster that could fly, we had no archers and a mage was busy that day. I was the only character that had a ranged attack. I was playing a half-orc ghost fighter with a prestige class designed by the DM(wire-bound berserker, very strong in combat at the cost of paying a lot of health). My ranged attack, I could cut my hp in half to cast a caster level 15 chain Lightning (red lightning that burst out of my chest, was cool). well I couldn't fight very long between my hp loss and fighting the enemy so I got knocked out. Well each player had been given 5 blackbrew potions(DM made so we wouldn't have to rest in this dungeon, drinking one is equal to an 8-hour rest). My friends used one of mine for the healing, I got up cast my lightning, got hit, knocked out, repeat two more times, victory.

My friends best was probably fishing shocker lizards out of a well we needed to go into by fabricating a giant sausage(20ft long), or sacrificing a demon to an evil deity, after feeding it its own hands because we would get more points for feeding it the flesh of a evil outsider(DM objected to the possibility of the demon being a virgin or otherwise pure though).

Dire Moose
2015-05-09, 03:20 PM
Letting my players bombard the imperial capitol with multiplying, exploding, undead hamsters from inside an undead dragon they'd turned into an airplane.

WOW. Mind if I sig this?

Cluedrew
2015-05-09, 05:21 PM
Although I was not involved in this, I would like to but a word out for cheese foraging (http://irolledazero.blogspot.ca/2013/09/we-do-something-significant-part-3.html).

The Random NPC
2015-05-09, 07:50 PM
Three words; Golem Hive Mind.

We were in a campaign loosely based on the War of the Roses, and the intent was that we would have to choose a side. I didn't. Instead I spent all the gold I had gathered to build and telepathically link many golems. After a week, I was able to churn out 512,000 gp worth of magic items a day. I had planned on defeating both armies and then taking over the world to eliminate all crime, but the campaign petered out before that happened.

In my defense, I told the GM that I was planning on doing this at the beginning of the campaign, and if he didn't like it I would change my build.

Sith_Happens
2015-05-10, 03:55 AM
Although I was not involved in this, I would like to but a word out for cheese foraging (http://irolledazero.blogspot.ca/2013/09/we-do-something-significant-part-3.html).

Everything in that abomination of a campaign was a "trick Trekkin can't believe the DM allowed," right down to putting on his pants in the morning.

Cluedrew
2015-05-10, 07:03 AM
Everything in that abomination of a campaign was a "trick Trekkin can't believe the DM allowed," right down to putting on his pants in the morning.Except for the parts where it was "a trick the players can't believe the GM didn't allow"... like standing under trees. The counterfeit gold is another part where Marty let something stupid fly, which makes a very sharp contrast to the Dark Orchid shut-you-down-in-stupid-and-wrong-ways things he does normally. ... The word normally doesn't feel right in this context.

JetpackJimmy
2015-05-10, 07:25 AM
Spark, 0th level orison, sets fire to an unattended object based on the object's fortitude save.

The GM has an entire campaign centered around a GMPC.

Me: Hey, bards wear, like, cloth, right?

I still can't believe he ruled that worn clothes are unattended objects. Sadly, he used DM powers to randomly and inexplicably fizzle my spell, and after I roleplayed in a way that didn't go the way he planned for, it ended up breaking the gaming group.

Anonymouswizard
2015-05-10, 07:39 AM
Except for the parts where it was "a trick the players can't believe the GM didn't allow"... like standing under trees. The counterfeit gold is another part where Marty let something stupid fly, which makes a very sharp contrast to the Dark Orchid shut-you-down-in-stupid-and-wrong-ways things he does normally. ... The word normally doesn't feel right in this context.

I never got past tech support consisting of 'and we'll play part of the audio book where it features', is it worth continuing?

And you're an adventurer, you haven't had time to keep up with tree standing under.

JetpackJimmy
2015-05-10, 07:41 AM
I never got past tech support consisting of 'and we'll play part of the audio book where it features', is it worth continuing?

And you're an adventurer, you haven't had time to keep up with tree standing under.

I... have no idea what you're saying.

Anonymouswizard
2015-05-10, 08:02 AM
I... have no idea what you're saying.

I was referring to the blog linked under cheese forging, I wrote the post before I saw yours, I don't know what there is to be confused about.

Lord Torath
2015-05-10, 10:55 AM
I... have no idea what you're saying.Here. Educate yourself (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?275152-What-am-I-supposed-to-do&highlight=what+am+supposed+to+do). But put on some padded gloves so you don't give yourself a migraine with all the head-slapping you'll do.

Fayd
2015-05-11, 08:29 PM
Once I destroyed two high level golems and a castle gate with Summon Monster II.

See, the party decided we had to get in a hurry, but we couldn't take the golems in a fair fight. However, they were only program to attack if you acted in a hostile manner.

We had a Holy Gun Paladin who by dint of their archetype knew how to make gunpowder. We had a Fighter who happened to be a master smith, and decided to make two large shaped charges, which he very casually walked up to the golems and dropped at their feet. I summoned 2 small fire elementals who made no attack actions... they just poked the charges. One explosion later, we had ourselves a door.

I also beat a monster with a climb speed and lightning breath with Create Pit. See, the spell description only says that the surface has to be horizontal and I made a pit in the ceiling, causing the monster to lose its footing and fall in to the waiting blender that was our Fullblade Wielding Fighter, my multilimbed-claw-rend Eidolon, and our Rogue (who was quite easily flanking the thing).

bobthehero
2015-05-14, 04:50 PM
Using Pathfinder.

Friend Bard is already putting all his points in bluff, uses glibness and rolls very high on the dice, manages to convice a uh... stone? giant that the player is, in fact, an earth giant, despite really being a halfling.

vhfforever
2015-05-15, 03:06 AM
Playing AD&D 2nd, we had to pass through an Underdark city once. Our group was wounded, weary, and low on spells. So, out came the scrolls we had collected over the previous year of campaigning. Mount (high enough level to get elephants) + Barkskin + Some natural attack enhancer that I can't remember + Spook...

...the poor Drow never knew what hit them. Literally, because they didn't know what elephants were.

-

3.5...I had a rogue survive what would have been a terminal fall by Quick Drawing out a Bag of Holding, and then succeeding in a rather high Escape Artist check to fit inside it. I was even fairly surprised he let that one happen.

Gracht Grabmaw
2015-05-15, 06:33 AM
There's an obscure rage power in Pathfinder that lets you detect and track enemies by smell when enraged and I've been basically abusing as a replacement to Blind Fighting.
My oracle/barbarian's standard plan of action before entering a room is basically Obscuring Mist/Darkness-> Rage Mode on->take a few sniffs and go all Daredevil on the poor blind basterds.

Keltest
2015-05-15, 12:27 PM
3.5...I had a rogue survive what would have been a terminal fall by Quick Drawing out a Bag of Holding, and then succeeding in a rather high Escape Artist check to fit inside it. I was even fairly surprised he let that one happen.

Doesn't seem that strange to me, unless the Bag of Holding had less capacity than the rogue took up. People are specifically able to enter as long as there's room, they'll just stop breathing after 10 minutes.

lt_murgen
2015-05-15, 12:45 PM
More fun with a bag of holding:

At the very end of Tomb of Horrors, facing the demi-lich. My fighter/thief with boots of speed ran into the room, grabbed the skull, and shoved it in the bag.

I had to make an attack roll to grab it. Another roll to see if the skull sucked my soul out.

And then it was done.

Several adventures later when faced by a demon-horde in a mountain cavern, that same person ran into the throne room, dumped out the bag of holding, and then ran out.

The_Tentacle
2015-05-16, 10:05 PM
Some of the best ones off the top of my head:

1) We were in a warehouse in Mithrandine fighting a band of quicklings. I was hovering in midair when one of the quicklings, as part of an attack that let him move like 20 squares or something, threw a dagger at me and crit-missed. He then completed his move, at which point we pointed out that he was close to the line between his original spot and me. We argued that the dagger should actually hit him, since a crit-miss is supposed to harm the attacker. Our DM, for some reason, just sighed, rolled an attack vs the quickling, and declared it a hit.

2) This one didn't quite get all the way, but he still let it go really far. Our party warlock was using his ridiculous bluff score and a hat of disguise to sneak into some drow city, when he realized that he didn't speak drow (yes none of us thought about this until right then). When a guard tried to talk to him, he successfully bluffed the guard into believing he was deaf and dumb, somehow. The guard then tried to use drow sign language. The warlock decided that the best course of action was to pretend to be BLIND. I guess that's where our DM drew the line...

3) By far the best one occurred a little after the one above. We were trying to speak to the matron mother of some drow house, but a guard was getting in our way. After spectacularly failing some diplomacy checks, we elected to try to bluff our way in. That wasn't going too well, so our warlock decided to go ahead and throw something down from our Deck of Illusions (a deck of cards with stuff on them that would create an illusion of that stuff when you threw it down). And lo and behold: it was a Draegloth. I believe our wizard (disguised as a drow) began our masterplan by shouting something like "All hail the Holy Baritone!" And some spectacular bluff checks later we managed to convince every single drow there that we were part of a cult that worshiped the Holy Barbershop Quartet. There are some great quotes from this one that I believe our DM (name on this forum Adoendithas) posted on the quotes thread, if you want to look at those.

Feddlefew
2015-05-17, 04:03 AM
So, apparently, one of my friends had a DM approve Metamagic: Explosive spell + Detect Magic. :smalleek:

I have multiple sources backing them up and know the DM in question. They have problems with skimming through instructions in lab, so I can see them missing the important "spell must require a reflex save" part of determining if Explosive Spell can be used.

Anonymouswizard
2015-05-17, 05:39 AM
So, apparently, one of my friends had a DM approve Metamagic: Explosive spell + Detect Magic. :smalleek:

I have multiple sources backing them up and know the DM in question. They have problems with skimming through instructions in lab, so I can see them missing the important "spell must require a reflex save" part of determining if Explosive Spell can be used.

Maybe it used the same procedure as the locate city bomb to squire one?

Feddlefew
2015-05-17, 06:10 AM
Maybe it used the same procedure as the locate city bomb to squire one?

Nope. He explicitly said he cast it as a 3rd level spell. Using the Locate City Bomb trick would add at least +6, unless there was some other thing that would mitigate that.

Forrestfire
2015-05-17, 08:51 AM
A Snowcasted Flash Frost Energy Substituted (Electricity) Born of the Three Thunders Explosive Detect Magic has a +3 metamagic adjustment; 1 from Flash Frost and 2 from Explosive. It checks out.

Now, what doesn't is the likely intended use of it. Born of the Three Thunders' reflex save happens when the spell concludes, so it'd basically be one use per cast of the spell. A full-round action (because Snowcasting is applied at the time of the cast, you need to spontaneously apply the metamagic feats to the spell) and then a non-action to stop concentrating, but it doesn't turn you into Cyclops.

Fell Drain, on the other hand... :smallamused:

Lvl45DM!
2015-05-19, 02:22 AM
Wherin a weapon wields a weapon.
I play a Psychic Warrior with Psychokinetic Weapon and a Soulbound Spiked chain.
The elven wood is under siege from an army of Devils. One of our parties squires got nabbed and we wanted to jailbreak him. The level 13 Barbarian with goes down from a Stop Heart spell and drops his amazing sword. This sword is a gods artefact +2 Greatsword of Speed that eats the souls of all evil outsiders to power up and does +2 d8 damage to evil outsiders. I'm trying to save his life but he loves that sword and refuses to leave with out it and I need to defend myself from attacks as I run with him over my shoulder. So I animate my spiked chain and make IT pick up the sword, wrap around it and take it with us. But there are a bunch of devils between me and the exit and my hands are full.

So my Spiked Chain starts wielding the greatsword getting all of the bonuses of BOTH weapons making it a +4 Speed Evil outsider Bane wounding weapon that does 5d6 damage (both Chain and Sword were Large sized) and it gets my Wis bonus to hit and damge on top of everything else. Oh and it can't be sundered without the sacrificeof an innocent soul of 10HD. We thrash through the devils, escape and live.
Since both weapons are semi sentient they forged a tight friendship and now constantly bug us in battle to do it again.

Lacco
2015-05-19, 09:27 AM
I played a fighter in low-level campaign once.

Our party leader (or jester, depending on how you look at it) dragged us into a fight. I covered the retreat and got myself captured.

The party left for "impregnable fortress" guarded by a magic shield. The group that captured my char wanted to get into the fortress. And it was just a first part of a large army.

The group was lead by a woman.

Cue myself, sweet-talking her into letting me join her faction, under condition that I will open the door into the fortress and remove the shield, because my party "deserted and backstabbed me and I want to return the favour and be on the winning side".

I was on a roll. I convinced "her" (my GM) to let me borrow 10 loyal men (who would let themselves get killed on order). We practiced a fight choreography, so that my escape would be "convincing". I specifically asked for the high-level NPC that captured me to lead a fake duel that ends with me killing him. All for the sake of "it must be convincing for them". So I asked them to shoot few volleys of arrows after I run away. And for lots of torches so they see me escape ("hey, it must look like you are going to execute me").

I was so convincing, my GM was left speechless and asked for no roll. All this took some 10 minutes in next room, while the party members went for snacks.

When they came back, the GM narrated my escape, me killing 10+ men, including her captain and running to the fortress.

Of course, I did not betray them - I was the honorable type. But I got a lot of XP for the fight and roleplay...

Ettina
2015-05-19, 11:00 AM
OK, so I've been playing a tibbit dread necromancer with an incredibly good racial hide & move silently check, with my only other party member being a part-succubus abomonist (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Abomonist_%283.5e_Class%29) who's built up a collection of wacky abominations.

We'd had some nasty run-ins with a group of bandits, and my character was out for blood against them. So, in this one town, we're looking up stuff to buy, and my character comes across alchemist's fire. Meanwhile, the abomonist doesn't buy anything because that player fell asleep. Later, we head to another town that is closer to the bandit camp, and start recruiting NPCs and planning how we'll kill the bandits, and my character has an idea.

On my instructions, the abomonist buys several barrels of oil and modifies one of her abominations, a big rolling charging ball of death named Bubbles, to have pores which he can excrete oil from at will. We come up to the bandit camp in the middle of the night - they do have guards, but we're hanging back so the guards don't spot us.

My character sneaks into camp and climbs up a tree right near the entrance, then shifts back into humanoid form (still hidden) and sits there with the alchemist's fire in my hands. Then, the abomonist gives Bubbles his signal. Bubbles starts rolling in a circle around the camp, oozing oil as he goes. The bandits wake up and sound the alarm, and the abomonist, her other abominations, and the NPCs we recruited start fighting the bandits. I just wait.

A couple rounds later, Bubbles finishes his circuit, and crashes straight through the back door, then rolls through the entire bandit camp to get past me. At the last moment, he closes his pores and leaves the oil trail behind. I drop my alchemist's fire, and then jump down and run up to join the fight at the entrance.

Most of the bandits died in the resulting inferno. The rest killed off all but one of our NPC buddies, and then died to us, including some guy using some really awesome tongue stud to breathe unholy fire (our DM just got the Book of Vile Darkness). I claimed that tongue stud, we got a crapton of cash once the camp cooled down enough for us to search it, and our abomonist claimed the corpses of our allies and the less-burnt bandits for making abominations with. Good fun.

King of Casuals
2015-05-20, 02:29 PM
My GM once let my samurai see a person's backstory by looking deeply into their eyes

Lvl45DM!
2015-05-20, 09:58 PM
My GM once let my samurai see a person's backstory by looking deeply into their eyes

Thats pretty badass actually. Make the Samurai tier 5!

Bard1cKnowledge
2015-05-21, 08:08 PM
I was playing a pregen elf rouge. We were all meeting at a bar and I was already there, drunk as a skunk in a funk. A bar brawl started shortly, I pulled out a short sword, rolled a nat 20 on acrobatics, even with that negative modifier on my dex due to being drunk, I was allowed to *parkour* over a table and stab a guy down his throat. Applause soon followed

Oddman80
2015-05-22, 12:40 AM
My Halfling Barbarian (who dual wielded rapiers) was all by himself in a section of a cavern when... out of, what looked like a smallish pool of water, came a gigantic sea serpent

My DM posed the question: "what do you do"

I can only guess he assumed I would get the rest of the party...

But I responded "Spitz smiles the biggest smile he's ever smiled. He runs full speed towards the cavern wall adjacent to the serpent. He runs up the wall a few feet before pushing up and off it into a twisting backflip - landing atop the serpent's head in a straddle position while driving both of his rapiers into the serpent's skull. Sitting up their with the two rapiers lodged in its head, I should look like I am a crane operator."

The table broke up in laughter as my DM stared slack jawed - unsure how to even begin ruling on it.... And just said "roll it"

It involved 3 acrobatics checks, two ride checks, and two sets of attack/damage rolls. After that night - the combo was dubbed the Spitz Special, and the first thing my character would do in encounters with huge sized (or greater) creatures was to figure out how he could execute the Spitz Special.

Oddman80
2015-05-22, 12:42 AM
I was playing a pregen elf rouge. We were all meeting at a bar and I was already there, drunk as a skunk in a funk. A bar brawl started shortly, I pulled out a short sword, rolled a nat 20 on acrobatics, even with that negative modifier on my dex due to being drunk, I was allowed to *parkour* over a table and stab a guy down his throat. Applause soon followed

I totally read that as "Apple Sauce soon followed."

Velaryon
2015-05-22, 02:49 AM
I was in this Star Wars d20 campaign about 7 or 8 years ago set during the time period of the Knights of the Old Republic games. We derailed that timeline pretty hard, though.

One guy was playing a Codru-Ji padawan named Gallian, and he got a pair of visions through the Force. Both visions started off the same: his master (a pretty badass human named Trayer Barvadeen) fighting a lightsaber duel against Revan (who at this point hadn't gone Sith yet because we were still fairly early in the Mandalorian Wars). In one vision, Master Trayer defeated Revan. In the other vision, he lost. Gallian didn't like these odds, so he decided to take matters into his own hands. He procured an airspeeder, loaded it up with explosives, and tried to blow up Revan with it. Revan survived the explosion, though he was wounded, and it ended up with a foot chase through the streets of Coruscant. Eventually Gallian caught up to Revan and was able to finish him off (going full Dark side in the process and becoming an NPC). But Revan was intended as a major part of the storyline and possibly the BBEG, who was taken out about a sixth of the way through the campaign.

Later in that same campaign, we're chasing down another Sith, a Dashade named Nos. In previous encounters, Nos has been able to hold his own fighting two of our masters at once, and has been able to take on our entire party and nearly wipe us all out. Last time we ran across him, he threw our ship at us (a Corellian corvette!) using the Force to cover his retreat. I... don't actually know why he had to retreat from us, now that I think of it.

We know that this guy is seriously dangerous, so once we got our ship repaired well enough to fly, my character (and Gand Findsman Jedi Consular) uses his meditation and Farseeing power to track Nos to a cave in the mountains of the planet we were on. We started pulverizing the site from low orbit.

You'd think the planetary defense force would be roused by this and come after us. You'd be right. This is where it gets ridiculous (if a team full of Jedi nuking the site from orbit isn't ridiculous and just plain wrong enough already).

My Gand tells the others to stall the authorities as long as possible, then gets in a speeder and flies to the capital city. Using the several million credits we'd somehow stumbled into (this always happens to us in Star Wars campaigns and I'm truly at a loss to explain how), I purchased the entire mountain range in the name of the Jedi Order. With deed in hand, I returned to the ship, presented proof to the authorities that we were firing on our own land, and proceeded to pulverize the entire mountain range to be sure we got the darn Sith.

Somehow, it worked. Somehow, none of us fell to the Dark side (though we undoubtedly should have).

Bard1cKnowledge
2015-05-22, 04:57 PM

And when I got home I feasted on applesauce

nedz
2015-05-22, 07:19 PM

A Cider for the Elf ?

razorback
2015-05-22, 08:35 PM
In a living room far, far across town...
Back in the 1st ed WEG Star Wars...

Trapped in a Star Destroyer, there are 5 of us. I'm a tech type, we have a droid, a Jedi, a wookie pilot and someone else. Manage to sneak aboard a shuttle but we are locked in the security bay.

Me: Can I hack into anything?
GM: Just basic systems.
Me to droid character: Can you hack in?
GM, after we do several skill checks: Yes but you can't get past the security clearances.
Me:Can we get into teh other shuttles systems?
GM: Yes... (looking at me suspiciously) why?
Me: Can we remote it?
GM: Yes.
Me: Can we override the hyperspace safeties and have it make a jump from where it is into the opposite side of the ship?
GM, after some lucky rolls: Uh... yeah...

Needless to say, we weren't able to do this again. Apparently the Empire can learn from at least some of their mistakes.

TurboGhast
2015-05-27, 06:29 PM
These two crazy moves came from side 1 PC games via natural twenties.

Taming a snake with animal handling.
Tricking a villainous noble into going on a hunting trip to a really risky location so I can kill him while he and his one guard turns his back to fight crocodiles.

Bard1cKnowledge
2015-05-27, 08:54 PM
Two words,

Half-orc druid

I know players have freedom to create what they wish, but its still quite silly

Anonymouswizard
2015-05-27, 09:04 PM
Two words,

Half-orc druid

I can beat that, half-orc sorcerer prettier than the elf bard. I still want to bring that character to a campaign that deserves him, as a cleric in 3.5 or sorcerer in Pathfinder, where him becoming the Shaman of his tribe caused a rift where the chief eventually exiled him to solve it. His magic relies a lot more upon using summon monster spells to get creatures to do his bidding than normal D&D magic.

Elbeyon
2015-05-28, 03:45 PM
Two words,

Half-orc druid

I can beat that, half-orc sorcerer prettier than the elf bard. I still want to bring that character to a campaign that deserves him, as a cleric in 3.5 or sorcerer in Pathfinder, where him becoming the Shaman of his tribe caused a rift where the chief eventually exiled him to solve it. His magic relies a lot more upon using summon monster spells to get creatures to do his bidding than normal D&D magic.

I'm slightly confused right now. I find those both very believable.

nedz
2015-05-28, 06:25 PM
Two words,

Half-orc druid

The trick here is for them to then cast Blinding Beauty (Book of Exalted Deeds p92) which makes the "Stunningly Attractive". :smallcool:

Anonymouswizard
2015-05-28, 06:42 PM
I'm slightly confused right now. I find those both very believable.

Mine was an idea where I took a silly concept for my group (half orc magician) and made it work, I posted it because I actually find half-orc druids sort of reasonable, I should have used blue text.

Bard1cKnowledge
2015-05-29, 01:10 AM
Mine was an idea where I took a silly concept for my group (half orc magician) and made it work, I posted it because I actually find half-orc druids sort of reasonable, I should have used blue text.

GET BACK HERE AND ENJOY NATURE OR THOK WILL DESTROY YOU!!!!

Let me point out I was DM at this point in time and I still find it quite silly that a druid even HAS a STR or CON score

Hawkstar
2015-05-30, 09:13 PM
GET BACK HERE AND ENJOY NATURE OR THOK WILL DESTROY YOU!!!!

Let me point out I was DM at this point in time and I still find it quite silly that a druid even HAS a STR or CON score

CON is very important to a Druid in 3.5 - while it gets overwritten, the hit points it gives are constant.

Both are highly important in Pathfinder, since wildshaping doesn't overwrite your natural abilities.

Alex12
2015-05-31, 03:09 AM
Pathfinder, with Path of War, Psionics, and Ponyfinder stuff permitted. Normally, ponies have only one "hand"- their mouths. But unicorns have a feat that lets them use unicorn telekinesis instead of a mouth like a main hand (limited to the square they were in), and use Int instead of Str, and another feat that gives them a telekinetic off-hand, with the same deal. Unicorns get a bonus feat at level 1. Also, since their quadrupeds, their carrying capacity is increased by 50%. Playing a Dervish Defender Warder, dump Str and focus entirely on Int. At level 1, get Int to attack, damage, Initiation modifier, AC, CMD against Acrobatics when recovering maneuvers, and replacing Dex for Combat Reflexes. Oh, and due to a generous ruling from the DM and the fact that the weapons were under telekinetic control, making those AoO didn't require moving.
The preferred tactic was find a chokepoint, sit there, activate the recovery, and watch the incoming enemies get shredded by the telekinetic swords whipping around the room.

omnitricks
2015-05-31, 05:24 AM
Me and my friends are currently playing some sort of horror game using the Alternity system.

So yesterday we were in a car chase with some nazi wannabes. None of us could drive because we had 1) low dex and 2) no specialties in ground vehicles so we left it to generic soldier NPCs to drive for us.

What the party did try to do was fire on the cars chasing us. With another generic NPC manning the mounted machine gun the party can only use their own weapons (peashooter pistols) with the "leader" using his leadership to boost up the soldier using the mounted MG.

I'm the useless character without any training in using weapons but somehow ended up with the really good gear including some sort of specially made kevlar vest and an m16 so I had to join in the fun somehow. I looked at my character sheet (I needed a 4 and above to actually make a shot) and looked at my other skills.

"I am going to roll taunt. It does bla bla bla so what I'll do is train the gun on the driver to give him the penalties to roll. Is he bla bla bla according to the rules so I can add the modifiers?"

GM allowed it and I rolled a 1 on the d20 and a 5 on the d8. Doesn't matter, the 1 was good enough and the GM rolled the driver's drive check with his new penalties.

"Driver was so panicked by the gun and tried to shake it off that when you say Bang! instead of actually firing a bullet he lost control and crashed the car in a big explosion after skidding off the road."

Yeah, Didn't actually expect that I would have been able to kill a car full of people without firing a shot. At most I expected was to lose them lol.

Silva Stormrage
2015-05-31, 05:32 AM
Boat catapult.

Boats are surprisingly common as weapons apparently, my players used one as a giant hammer in a 3.5 D&D campaign.

They were surrounded by a horde of ever growing oozes and need to break through a hard shell covering the exit of where they needed to go. The group on its last legs used a feather tree token and to climb up on it in order to stall for a bit. Thats when the player decided to use that one boat token to create a boat on top of the tree, then wait till the oozes had almost cut through the tree (They were using acid) and summon an earth elemental to push them in the right direction. One player with his 40+ strength held the boat and they just smashed straight through the barrier in one hit and out ran the oozes.

It was pretty epic and they were the right distance and otherwise it would of been a TPK so all in all I was quite happy/impressed with it :smalltongue:

Centik
2015-05-31, 02:21 PM
My story isn't as crazy and game breaking as some of the others here, but in my buddy's Wrath of the Righteous campaign my dwarf paladin was picked up by a flying demon and held a few hundred feet in the air. The demon dropped him and he definitely would have gone splat and died on impact, yet I remembered the grappling bolts I had bought prior to leaving the main city. A good roll later, I had shot and grappled onto the flying demon and basically turned him into a huge, evil parachute of justice to slow my fall and land safely as it tried to fly against my weight.

I imagine doing something like this would have broken his arm as the bolt caught, but I guess mythic characters really don't follow the rules, eh? :smalltongue:

Scheming Wizard
2015-06-04, 12:00 AM
I had a DM who let a belt of freedom of movement offer immunity to time stop on the grounds that time stop impeded you from moving freely. Naturally the whole party bought belts of freedom of movement and a favorite tactic when they bit off more than they could chew would be to tell me the wizard to cast time stop and then for all of us to run away. It saved our lives several times, but it felt dirty somehow.

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-06-04, 08:07 AM
Invoking the Eleventh Maxim (http://schlockmercenary.wikia.com/wiki/The_Seventy_Maxims_of_Maximally_Effective_Mercenar ies). From high orbit. On a Frenzied Berserker.

Immunity to death goes a long way.

TurboGhast
2015-06-06, 04:50 PM
Invoking the Eleventh Maxim (http://schlockmercenary.wikia.com/wiki/The_Seventy_Maxims_of_Maximally_Effective_Mercenar ies). From high orbit. On a Frenzied Berserker.

Immunity to death goes a long way.

... And how did you become immune to death? Why did the DM let you be immune to death?

Bard1cKnowledge
2015-06-06, 06:06 PM
Letting the barbarian handle diplomacy
(By diplomacy I mean of course havinghim try to solo a courtyard of monks after he smashed a door and jumped a gate)

Waste of a command spell to calm him down. Everyone had to make diplomacy checks then and there

Anonymouswizard
2015-06-06, 06:39 PM
Letting the barbarian handle diplomacy
(By diplomacy I mean of course havinghim try to solo a courtyard of monks after he smashed a door and jumped a gate)

Waste of a command spell to calm him down. Everyone had to make diplomacy checks then and there

Sorry, just been watching the latest fate/stay night, I'm just thinking of Illya looking at a rampaging berserker and thinking 'nah, not worth it'.

I'm waiting until I can convince a GM to let me play Gilgamesh.

Kitsap Charles
2015-06-06, 11:36 PM
More years ago than I want to admin, I was visiting a friend Back East, and it happened to be on the weekend of Game Night. Advanced D&D, very large party — like over a dozen players, a regular mob scene. My friend got the DM to let me play his favorite NPC, a high-level cleric/wizard. As it turned out, the party was up against the Final Boss, a very high-powered Lich.

While the rest of the party was trying (and failing) a number of frontal attacks, I cast Invisibility and Flight on myself, then on my next turn I flew up behind the lich and cast Raise Dead on it.

The GM paused a moment, then said "All right, beat his 95% Magic Resistance." I only had one d10 with me, so I rolled.... a nine. "Ninety..." I announced. I rolled again... "...seven." The GM drops back into his chair as cheering erupts among the other players. I beat his BBEG with his own NPC.

Maybe you had to be there. :smallcool:

Oberron
2015-06-07, 12:13 AM
(5th ed)

Our DM let us bolt 5 brooms of flying to a row-boat that we now use as the party's main transportation. Not really anything to stretching but a bit of rule of cool.

Our fighter has been using the instant fortress more as a weapon then a resting place.

I'm playing a rogue as more Brock Sampson than a rogue.

Suichimo
2015-06-07, 01:34 AM
... And how did you become immune to death? Why did the DM let you be immune to death?

Frenzied Berserkers can't die while they're raging.

TheCountAlucard
2015-06-07, 02:09 AM
Frenzied Berserkers can't die while they're raging.They can't die of hit point damage, anyway. They can still be slain by other means, like disintegrate.

Prince Zahn
2015-06-07, 02:38 AM
Ooh I'm liking this thread. :smallbiggrin:

So, this was a good few years back, I played a CM-Inspired warrior Mage who signed everyone into a gladiator fight.
There were two objectives that could secure victory: beat the other 5 teams fighting, or secure this magic sword on an impossibly high coffin/sarcophagus hanging over a pit of molten lava. (A charming challenge for level 5 characters, don't you think?) my players huddled and we hatched a plan. I gave my frog, St. Croaker (heeheehee!) to our bard, who was going through a phase at the time.
Bard:Gross! What am I supposed to do with that?!
Me: *takes off helmet* *puts it on St. Croaker*
Me: Fast ball. Aim high. Good luck!
Next thing our DM knew, the bard cast Catapult on the helmet with the frog in it. our DM's jaw fell, not even aware our bard took the spell. and he asked "You're doing what?"
To put a long story short, my frog reached the sarcophagus with a natural 20 on whatever roll that constituted as. The crowd boo'd at our cheesy victory. We fought a mummy inside the tomb, and the crowd yay'd again: