PDA

View Full Version : here we go again: Animal Companions gaining feats?

j_spencer93
2015-04-30, 12:10 PM
Since they gain feats, is there a way to change their types so they gain feats quicker or is that even possible?
Also, do all types gain a feat every four HD or how does that work?

Jeraa
2015-04-30, 12:15 PM
Since they gain feats, is there a way to change their types so they gain feats quicker or is that even possible?

Every gains feats at the same rate. One at 1st level/hit die, then 3rd, 6th, etc.

Unless you are playing 3.0 instead of 3.5, where it works differently if I remember right.

j_spencer93
2015-04-30, 12:23 PM
crap it is every 3rd not 4th, but does that mean a animal companion gets a feat at first level too? idk why i keep doing that.

Jeraa
2015-04-30, 12:25 PM
crap it is every 3rd not 4th, but does that mean a animal companion gets a feat at first level too? idk why i keep doing that.

Everyone gets a feat at 1st level/hit die. That includes animal companions. The only exception seems to be creatures with no intelligence score, like skeletons and golems. (Though as far as I am aware, there are no rules saying such, so those creatures probably should still get feats despite what their stat blocks show.)

Edit: Wait, there is one place:

* Mindless creatures receive no skill points or feats.

Yuki Akuma
2015-04-30, 12:27 PM
Animals gain a feat with their first hit die and also every three hit dice. Just like everything else in the entire game. There are no exceptions.

Some animals also gain bonus feats, usually something like Alertness or Weapon Finesse. These are in addition to the regular feats they get for having lots of hit dice.

j_spencer93
2015-04-30, 12:30 PM
I think this is my first time dealing with a character with one so sorry if these seem dumb. What if you have a vermin animal companion, it be the same right although it technically has 0 int?

Jeraa
2015-04-30, 12:36 PM
I think this is my first time dealing with a character with one so sorry if these seem dumb. What if you have a vermin animal companion, it be the same right although it technically has 0 int?

Mindless creatures gain no feats from their hit dice/level (Monster Manual page 301).

Bronk
2015-04-30, 12:41 PM
I think there are a few prestige classes like Vermin Lord that have some additional abilities that apply to their mindless vermin animal companions...

Troacctid
2015-04-30, 12:56 PM
Note that animal companions are supposed to be typical for their kind when first gained, so the player should not be allowed to pick and choose their starting feats--they should just have the usual feats given in the Monster Manual. A permissive DM could allow their Druid player to choose the animal's starting feats, I guess, but since that results in a pretty significant boost in power for an ability that is already very powerful, I would not allow it (unless they shell out the cash to buy a casting of Psychic Reformation).

j_spencer93
2015-04-30, 01:00 PM
Well apparently it doesn't matter. With the spider companion feat i still don't gain feats...

Ruethgar
2015-04-30, 01:11 PM
Of course there is also the matter of what feats they should be allowed to take. It you want the choose them freely it is generally accepted that you need to get Exaulted Companion or similar to allow enough sentience to take any feat like Shape Soulmeld or Martial Study.

A liberal reading of the retrain class feature rules could also let you retrain their first HD feat.

Do note that depending on GM ruling, animals that get their Int pumped by their 4th HD ability boosts are no longer animals(and thus can't be animal companions) if you consider the Masters of the Wild definition to be still in effect and not overridden by the MM 3.5 definition which gives a little more leeway in the heading for the definition in saying unless the stat block says otherwise. Do note that regardless, handle animal only functions up to a certain Int.

deuxhero
2015-04-30, 06:28 PM
You can use Heroics (3.5) or Paragon Surge (PF) to temporarily grant them feats.

j_spencer93
2015-04-30, 08:10 PM
I found a way they get feats. Was simple actually. Use the vermin companion rules of the Wotc site.

Necroticplague
2015-04-30, 08:32 PM

Having an INT of 0 and being mindless are very different. Most vermin are mindless, all creatures with INT 0 are unconscious. It's the difference between being dead (CON0) and not being alive (not having a CON score).

ShurikVch
2015-05-01, 03:28 AM
If you use Half-Machine template (Dungeon #91) on your Vermin, it will get 4 bonus feats (selectable out of template's list)

Bronk
2015-05-01, 06:00 AM
I found a way they get feats. Was simple actually. Use the vermin companion rules of the Wotc site.

Whoa, nice find! Thanks!

Dolour
2015-05-01, 07:06 AM
theres a couple of feats that alter your companion type, including hd and nr of feats gained.
Enchanted Animal Companion / Natural Harmony offer a magical beast / plant companion, but its online content.
1st party alternative companions, like the ones from exalted companion, are somewhat boring tho imo...
that being sayd, having a companion that speaks and has an int of 3+ is REALLY a nice thing to have.