PDA

View Full Version : Counterattack (PHB 2) + Haste

Grr
2007-04-17, 04:27 PM
Had this question come up from a player. Do you get the extra hasted attack when using the counterattack special ability?

Person_Man
2007-04-17, 04:34 PM
I have to go home and check the exact wording, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Counterattack gives you an attack action, not a full attack action or a full round action.

But again, I'm pulling this from memory, not text.

Arbitrarity
2007-04-17, 07:06 PM
You only get an extra attack from haste in a full attack action.

What's this? A Cheesing Munchkin? In your campaigns?

:P

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-17, 07:07 PM
Had this question come up from a player. Do you get the extra hasted attack when using the counterattack special ability?

I thought the rules didn't matter, you could just improvise.

Edit: but, yes, by the rules--no, no you don't. This is something easily gathered from the text of haste, which specifies "full attack". No full attack, no extra strike.

Emperor Tippy
2007-04-17, 07:19 PM
Only if you dance around on your left foot while singing a ballad. If you dance on the right foot or perform an ode instead you get hit by a lighting bolt. They don't give the extra attack though if you don't dance.

Except on Sundays that are also full moons. They you get the attack between 9 AM and 1 PM and between 1:10 PM and 3 PM. Between 1:00 PM and 1:10 PM you have a fatal heart attack if you attempt to attack with both of them.

Stevenson
2007-04-17, 07:29 PM

Yes, because being vindicative is always the answer.

Anyway, to answer the question: nope. It's just one attack.

Goff
2007-04-17, 07:39 PM

Hmm...
Aggressive? Check
Pointless? Check
Annoying? Check

Good lord, we've just discovered a chip the size of railway sleeper on this bear's shoulder! Quick get the tranquilizer guns, this is going to take some time to remove!

EDIT: @^Ninja'd

Grr
2007-04-17, 08:33 PM
Bears, while I could just rule that way, regardless of what the rules say... I prefer to have a solid reasoning behind it. Counterattack is a full round action. You make one melee attack. Haste says full attack action. The wording is close enough that it is very easy to see why some players would think they might be able to get the extra attack.

I just wanted to see what others thought.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-17, 08:43 PM
A Full-Round Action is as different from a Full Attack Action as a Standard Action is. They are different action types.

Grr
2007-04-17, 08:46 PM
Duh. .

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-17, 08:50 PM
Exactly, "duh". So why the confusion?

Grr
2007-04-17, 09:47 PM
There wasn't any confusion.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-17, 09:48 PM
Then why did you need to ask the question you asked in the first post?

Grr
2007-04-17, 10:02 PM
Can you read? Or are you having someone else read this to you? Cause I distinctly recall having said why I asked the question already. I wanted to see what others thought. Maybe it would make sense for haste to give them an extra attack during the initial counterattack action since it is a full round action. It is a magical spell granting the character unearthly speed.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-04-17, 10:03 PM
Guys, let's stop smacking each other with our hulking, manly e-wangs. Thread's over.

Matthew
2007-04-17, 10:03 PM
This seems to be getting a bit off topic.

Grr
2007-04-17, 10:05 PM
Bears is specifically trolling my posts. *shrugs*

Merlin the Tuna
2007-04-17, 10:09 PM
Yes. And you're using it as an excuse to engage in just as much flaming and nonsense. And I'm telling you to cut it out, because it's annoying as crap to see you two bickering in every third topic I look at.

Grr
2007-04-17, 10:10 PM
There's an ignore button you can use. =)

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-17, 10:10 PM
Can you read? Or are you having someone else read this to you? Cause I distinctly recall having said why I asked the question already. I wanted to see what others thought. Maybe it would make sense for haste to give them an extra attack during the initial counterattack action since it is a full round action. It is a magical spell granting the character unearthly speed.

I'm not trolling your posts. Your question was answered, and then you went "duh" to the answer. You asked about the rules, you got an answer. This is the first time you've said anything about "would it make sense to...?" It could, sure; neither way makes more sense.

Grr
2007-04-17, 10:12 PM
Well I figured I didn't have to expand on my question, since people like you are so eager and zealous to offer any and all advice at the drop of a hat.

Jasdoif
2007-04-17, 10:12 PM
Maybe it would make sense for haste to give them an extra attack during the initial counterattack action since it is a full round action. It is a magical spell granting the character unearthly speed.Think of it this way: Counterattack is a full-round action because you're "paying" for the counterattack ahead of time. It's like you're getting a single attack on your turn, and then a bonus readied action to get a single attack when you're next attacked. Except it doesn't mess up your order in initiative.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-04-17, 10:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/MerlintheTuna/Random%20Images/MGXQLZXQJTWV4WU2QSL4AG33ASQM6NIH.jpg

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-17, 10:15 PM
Well I figured I didn't have to expand on my question, since people like you are so eager and zealous to offer any and all advice at the drop of a hat.

Sorry, sniping at me doesn't make what you said earlier any more correct.

Jade_Tarem
2007-04-17, 10:18 PM
*Sings* "The party's overrrrrrrrrrr...."

Grr
2007-04-17, 10:19 PM
It was over the moment bears stuck his nose into the thread.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-04-17, 10:20 PM
It was over the moment bears stuck his nose into the thread.Yes, it ended when he came in and gave an answer to your question.

Seriously. Stop.

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-17, 10:26 PM
It was over the moment bears stuck his nose into the thread.

What is this rage-on you've got against me? I pointed out that you could just handwave it--snarkily, I'll admit--and pretty quickly added an actual answer. Then you said that the wording is close enough for it to be confusing, I pointed out that it actually pretty simple... and you said "duh, it is", apparently doing a 180 from the "close enough to be confusing" viewpoint. I'm not sure what you're doing right now, but it's worse than your usual "I'm right, you're wrong, because I say so" posting style.

Grr
2007-04-17, 10:26 PM
Yes, it ended when he came in and gave an answer to your question.

Seriously. Stop.
Haha, you have a serious misconception of what an answer is:

That was his sniping at me before anything else was said in the thread. He only edited in an answer afterwards when he realized I could report him to the mods for it. =p

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-17, 10:28 PM
That's not why I edited in a RAW answer. I did so because just sniping at someone pointlessly is bad, and I shouldn't have done it, so I added a real answer to the snarky one.
Besides which, "the rules don't matter, handwave it" is an answer. It's the one I'd expect you to take, in fact, considering that you've expressed extreme disdain of following the RAW in the past.

Grr
2007-04-17, 10:33 PM
Yup. I ignore rules as written when it makes sense to. You also assumed that because I said "player", that I was talking about a game I was running. It was another player in a game that I am playing in. He's playing a wizard and kept arguing that I should get the extra attack. I sort of agreed it was possible, but not likely and the DM said no.

However, in my campaign, I'll allow it just because it makes sense. As I posted before, I just wanted to see what other people thought without any reason to be prejudiced one way or another about the question. =p

Bears With Lasers
2007-04-17, 10:35 PM
Okay, so... why did you spend several posts complaining about me and snarking at me, if even my snarky suggestion, promptly amended, was the one you'd actually use?

Grr
2007-04-17, 10:38 PM
I guarantee you that any ruling I made on counterattack + haste wouldn't have anything to do with anything you said or did not say.

Roland St. Jude
2007-04-17, 10:54 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Locked.