PDA

View Full Version : Vermin companions- so many options?

j_spencer93
2015-04-30, 01:45 PM
Ok this is a little confusing.

We have spider companion, blessed of Zulkoor (idk if spelled right), vermin keeper and this http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040705a that all give options for vermin animal companions, yet the last options seems the smartest. No feat, most of the same options.
The link even says HD work exactly like how to do for regular animal companions and that your vermin is treated as an enhanced vermin...so assuming that even allows them to choose feats.
Which would be the best?

Urpriest
2015-04-30, 02:20 PM
Those lists have different companions available at different levels. I'd advise figuring out if there's a particular vermin you want, and seeing which list gives you access.

Also, that page explicitly discusses feats. The companion only gets feats after your effective druid level is 6 or higher.

j_spencer93
2015-04-30, 02:49 PM
My point was they give basically the save benefit, although i do agree. Slightly different list might be worth the look but they don't seem varied enough to choose any of the feats over the free variant.
For example, spider companions best option can be taken the same level as the options in the link, thus the feat is kind useless. In that case i think the feat is worse. Actually looking at it Blessed of Zulkoor or whatever is the only option that gives slightly different benefits and lets you choose a huge scorpion two levels earlier then the link.
To me it seems the link options are better I was just curious what others thought.

Urpriest
2015-04-30, 03:25 PM
My point was they give basically the save benefit, although i do agree. Slightly different list might be worth the look but they don't seem varied enough to choose any of the feats over the free variant.
For example, spider companions best option can be taken the same level as the options in the link, thus the feat is kind useless. In that case i think the feat is worse. Actually looking at it Blessed of Zulkoor or whatever is the only option that gives slightly different benefits and lets you choose a huge scorpion two levels earlier then the link.
To me it seems the link options are better I was just curious what others thought.

Yeah agreed, I think in general the free version is better unless there is something specific you want.

j_spencer93
2015-04-30, 04:36 PM
Well i now have to book mark it for players. Honestly seemed dumb to me to basically allow it, and then created 2-3 feats that do what it does to varying degrees.

Urpriest
2015-04-30, 04:38 PM
Well i now have to book mark it for players. Honestly seemed dumb to me to basically allow it, and then created 2-3 feats that do what it does to varying degrees.

WotC designers very rarely talked to eachother. Archaeologists still speculate as to why.

j_spencer93
2015-04-30, 04:55 PM
some reason that cracked me up

Vizzerdrix
2015-04-30, 05:34 PM
If you want the big spider flavor without feat taxes or hoop jumping, I'd like to recommend the watch spider from the book Waterdeep: City of Splendors.
Guard spiders that are magical beasts and druids can take them as if they where on the -3 list. I think they can be improved familiars too.

j_spencer93
2015-04-30, 05:51 PM
Now that is interesting....thank you.