PDA

View Full Version : WotC Website: Child of Khyber

Fax Celestis
2007-04-17, 04:28 PM
The Child of Khyber (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20070416a&dcmp=ILC-RSSDND) hit the Wizards site today. What do people think?

I think it's limited and kinda lame, mostly because it feels like a one-trick pony.

illathid
2007-04-17, 04:55 PM
It's an aberrant flavored dragonmark heir... Nothing someone couldn't have homebrewed easily.

Enzario
2007-04-17, 05:47 PM
It's like a dragonmark heir: it's mostly meant for important NPC's, explaining why they have dragonmarks, since most people don't have enough feats to get a dragonmark.

Assassinfox
2007-04-17, 06:21 PM
I don't like the flavor or alignment requirement.

PinkysBrain
2007-04-17, 06:22 PM
Like most things to do with dragonmarks it's only really useful for NPCs. It's all just just too weak for PCs (Dragonmark heir being an exception).

clericwithnogod
2007-04-17, 07:16 PM
EDIT: I misinterpreted the bonuses as Lesser Dragonmark and Greater Dragonmark. Looking at the Lesser Aberrant Dragonmark and Greater Aberrant Dragonmark abilities, I don't I don't like this as much as I did originally.

jamez
2007-04-17, 08:34 PM
I registered just to respond to this thread. I think this is a GREAT class for Eberron. It is exactly fitting in with the flavor of the setting and is from Keith Baker himself. Fans of the setting have wanted the official version of this class since they found out it got cut at one point and I am glad to see it. Anyway, I am not knocking anyone elses view just giving you mine.

Rock!
--jamez

Merlin the Tuna
2007-04-17, 08:55 PM
Decent hit die, decent skills, great saves, decent BAB, and basically a couple extra bonus feats. I'll agree with the general sentiments so far -- it's a good class to throw on badguys (generic or otherwise) to give them a little bit of extra meat without increasing their power too much. I can see making a decent villain, then tossing a level or three of this on top without being terribly concerned about the party's well-being.

Annarrkkii
2007-04-17, 09:05 PM
Meh. PCs in Eberron tend to be intended for Goodguyhood. That's just the premise of the campaign setting. It's still fresh and new, so DMs aren't scrabbling for new gimicks like they are with Forgotten Realms and Standard D+D—"you're evil," "you're monsters." As such, the Heir of Khyber is just not going to get a lot of exercise as a protagonist hero.

Decently alright, though. Pretty even with the Dragonmark Heir class, if I remember that 'un right.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-17, 09:27 PM
Meh. Bland, Eberron, nothing jumps out as being particularly spectacular.
I won't be using it.

ImperiousLeader
2007-04-17, 10:33 PM
If it granted class progression levels I'd be more keen on it. Still, I could see using it for a darker character.

storybookknight
2007-04-18, 02:17 AM
It might not fit for every campaign I would want to run in Eberron; seriously I could see it either being a part of the game or just not. It adds a sort of David Eddings flavor to the metaplot... rather than just one huge Draconic Prophecy you have the Prophecy and the Dark Prophecy, competing against one another.

SLAs are kinda nice, and you could probably eventually get some of those quickened and stuff...

I suppose I'm sort of less than enthusiastic because I just finished a massive D&D campaign where aberrations were the main villain. Let me tell you, it gets old, eventually, fighting the same old dudes over and over - and to have aberrant dragonmarks be related to Khyber seems a little odd to me. I mean, on one hand, you can do the "just like me only evil" thing with them; on the other I would like them much more if they were an ambiguous subject. "Oh man that guy who just saved me has an aberrant dragonmark but he seems just like a regular dude! We totally wiped them out for some reason, but could he really be that bad?" In my original reading of the subject, I was convinced they were a historical artifact or footnote similar to the lycanthropes, who had been exterminated en masse for no real good reason. Contradicting information has sort of met with only diminished approval from me.

Assassinfox
2007-04-18, 10:34 AM
- and to have aberrant dragonmarks be related to Khyber seems a little odd to me. I mean, on one hand, you can do the "just like me only evil" thing with them; on the other I would like them much more if they were an ambiguous subject. "Oh man that guy who just saved me has an aberrant dragonmark but he seems just like a regular dude! We totally wiped them out for some reason, but could he really be that bad?" In my original reading of the subject, I was convinced they were a historical artifact or footnote similar to the lycanthropes, who had been exterminated en masse for no real good reason. Contradicting information has sort of met with only diminished approval from me.

Quoted for truth. :smallannoyed: