PDA

View Full Version : Magic Jar Madness!

Sheogoroth
2015-04-30, 06:45 PM
This is a weird idea and I'm looking for glaring holes in it.

So first you need a scroll of Bestow curse, a scroll of Magic Jar, and two or three Insanity Mists (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/poison/insanity-mist).

The idea was that the Wendigo disease is actually a curse that can be given with bestow curse. SO, first you bestow the Wind Walk curse upon yourself, take a couple hits of insanity mist, jump into your magic jar and then when your soulless body turns into a truly terrifying CR 17 monster, you just re-possess yourself.

My question is- is there a save to possess the Wendigo?
RAW, there's no save to return to your own body and presumably you would just go insane as a result of the transformation process into a Wendigo.
My friends and I do a pvp character building arena now and again and really want to pull this if it's legal.

icefractal
2015-04-30, 07:12 PM
Looking at the Wendigo entry, there are a couple issues:
1) The transformation occurs over 2d6 rounds, "as you wind walk across the sky". There are a couple failure points there:
a) If wind walking consumes all your actions, you can't cast Magic Jar.
b) Having your body fall lifeless might stop you from wind walking, meaning the transformation never finishes.

2) After the transformation happens, your body is "effectively dead, replaced by a new Wendigo". That could easily be interpreted as you don't have a body to return to any longer, because instead of "your body" there's now "a Wendigo". You wouldn't die immediately (and could attempt to possess the Wendigo, with the usual save), but you would die when the Magic Jar duration expired.

If this is for an arena, then 1 hour/level might be enough though, in which case #2 isn't a problem (the Wendigo does have to fail the save, but it only has +11, not insurmountable). But in that case, you don't need to become the Wendigo yourself, just bring along a random commoner and curse them with it.

Crazysaneman
2015-04-30, 07:19 PM
Well one glaring hole I see is the need for the body to eat another of your race, which a soulless body cannot as it is "left lifeless". Even if it could, after consuming another being of your race, it undergoes a transformation. Making it a whole new creature. No longer your body. If you can't beat it's +11 will save you effectively die because you have no body to return to; that is if you can't find another weaker willed creature to possess.

Sith_Happens
2015-04-30, 07:36 PM
Also, what gives you the idea that Bestow Curse can inflict wendigo psychosis?