PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Humans with Martial Weapon Proficiency

Herbert West
2015-04-30, 08:36 PM
Are there any human subraces that will give me Martial Weapon Proficiency (and a bonus feat)? It doesn't matter what the weapon is. Alternatively, is there a way to get it from an item or location? I have no space to get it from class or feat slots, unless there's a full-casting prestige class that has no entry requirements that I can take at level 5 that will give it to me. I'm stuck with human, or else I'd pick elf or something that gets one.

Troacctid
2015-04-30, 08:44 PM
Applying a template such as Half-Celestial that changes your type to Outsider would give you proficiency with all martial weapons.

What is this for? There might be another way to accomplish what you're trying to do.

deuxhero
2015-04-30, 08:44 PM
Are you trying to qualify for something?

Are other races with a bonus feat (like Strongheart Halfling) usable if they give proficiency?

Zaq
2015-04-30, 08:56 PM
Ruathar can be entered right after level 5, if you're a prepared caster. (Or earlier, if you can hack your way into getting 3rd level spells early, but under normal circumstances, you're looking at level 5 to qualify and level 6 to enter.) Full casting, basically no prereqs, and you get Martial Weapon Proficiency as a bonus feat. It's limited in what it can be used for, but it's basically free to enter.

heretic
2015-04-30, 09:13 PM
I believe that Underfolk (Races of Destiny) are a human subrace and treat both Light and Heavy Picks as simple weapons.

However, I believe they do not receive a bonus feat.

Herbert West
2015-04-30, 09:30 PM
Applying a template such as Half-Celestial that changes your type to Outsider would give you proficiency with all martial weapons.

What is this for? There might be another way to accomplish what you're trying to do.
My current build has 7 prestige classes, one of which requires human, and another which requires MWP. The only "free" level I have is 5, everything else is set. I've already looked for other ways to replicate the class abilities I want, but aside from Illithid Savant, there's no way to get them (and IS is a bit cheesy for my taste). I need a ton of feats to get into everything (9) by level 13, and then more feats on top of that to make the build function as intended. All of my resources except for the ones I've listed (subrace, items, locations) are already accounted for. With LA buyoff, I can add some templates, though! This is a great suggestion, thank you.

Are you trying to qualify for something?

Are other races with a bonus feat (like Strongheart Halfling) usable if they give proficiency?
I have to be human to qualify for a class, otherwise that would be the most efficient way to do it.

Ruathar can be entered right after level 5, if you're a prepared caster. (Or earlier, if you can hack your way into getting 3rd level spells early, but under normal circumstances, you're looking at level 5 to qualify and level 6 to enter.) Full casting, basically no prereqs, and you get Martial Weapon Proficiency as a bonus feat. It's limited in what it can be used for, but it's basically free to enter.
I don't have space in the build for feats to let me cast spells a level early, otherwise this would also work =(

I believe that Underfolk (Races of Destiny) are a human subrace and treat both Light and Heavy Picks as simple weapons.

However, I believe they do not receive a bonus feat.

Man, so close! You're right that it doesn't seem like they do, and I don't think there's any errata for it, nor does the web enhancement give them a bonus feat.

Thurbane
2015-04-30, 10:04 PM
There's also Karsites (ToM) (at +2 LA), who get all martial weapons proficiency.

...although, they are unable to cast spells, so probably no good for your build.

Human Paragon grants a martial weapon proficiency, but is only 2/3 casting progression...