PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Westeros Campaign Stats

DracoKnight
2015-05-01, 04:21 AM
Feel free to suggest changes, or criticize. Feel free to use them too, if you like them :D
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66RprYE6_HHVUlRREVjWG8waWM/view?usp=sharing

DracoKnight
2015-05-05, 02:46 PM
Is there anything unbalanced about the stats?

The_Doctor
2015-05-05, 02:51 PM
What about the variant human from the PHB? Is that allowed? If so, you should specify. Also, I understand that there are only humans on Westeros, but maybe this is an alternate Westeros where such beings exist. Picking a race is at least a quarter of the fun and having it picked for you ruins the effect.

DracoKnight
2015-05-05, 03:42 PM
What about the variant human from the PHB? Is that allowed? If so, you should specify. Also, I understand that there are only humans on Westeros, but maybe this is an alternate Westeros where such beings exist. Picking a race is at least a quarter of the fun and having it picked for you ruins the effect.

Is there a way to make them more diverse without necessarily allowing more than humans into the campaign? I would like to stay somewhat true to the source material. Are there any of the races that could be inserted into the world without changing the flavor of the world?

And I don't believe that the Variant Human would be allowed. It would exceed the power that the other "subraces" get in this setting. In a normal campaign, I would allow Variant Humans, but not this one :P

The_Doctor
2015-05-05, 04:15 PM
What about monsters? What kind of monsters appear in the setting? You should probably specify somewhere.

weaseldust
2015-05-05, 08:08 PM
Honestly, I would probably just make everyone be a variant human. It's almost the make-your-own-race race anyway. The bonuses you give to people from different regions are mostly balanced (though I doubt that, say, proficiency in operating boats is equivalent to proficiency in Perception or Survival), but I'm not really keen on the idea of Arryns making better barbarians and Martells making better rogues, or on the idea of your stats being affected by your place of birth in general. (If you really want different races, you could just about pass off Unsullied as half orcs - hard to kill, probably good at intimidating people given their reputation - and if you wanted to include the Children they'd make good forest gnomes, though they'd have to be in disguise most of the time.)

I also don't see much scope for including classes other than barbarians, fighters and rogues. A little bit of magic could be explained away - the Magic Initiate and Ritual Caster feats, for instance, or even a few levels of cleric, sorcerer, ranger or paladin. But I don't think it fits the material to have paladins in the Kingsguard, for instance, because they don't do magic. (The exception would be if you set the campaign in a Westerosi legend about ancient knights who could do magic, or perhaps in Westeros as imagined by particularly superstitious smallfolk who believe that present-day knights can do magic. Otherwise, you can try to be accommodating - if someone really wants to play a wizard, well, the lands to the East are poorly documented so maybe people there have discovered how to do wizard-like magic - but any magic user is going to draw a lot of attention, and probably suspicion too.)

Did you write this to use in a particular campaign? I think it's the sort of thing where you have to plan it out with all the players because the source material is so limiting compared to vanilla DnD.

DracoKnight
2015-05-05, 09:27 PM
Did you write this to use in a particular campaign? I think it's the sort of thing where you have to plan it out with all the players because the source material is so limiting compared to vanilla DnD.

I did write this for a particular campaign. My players are on board, and excited, since this will be a very RP heavy campaign (they're mostly actors) and they're all aware of the restrictions and limitations, which they're mostly okay with, since the majority of them do watch Game of Thrones.

Giant2005
2015-05-05, 10:40 PM
You can still use races and have everyone be human.
Just use the Statistics of the Elf to represent a Bravossi, use a Tiefling for the people of the Iron Islands. Crap like that - they can all look human.