PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Magic item ehancement cost vs. specific cost (rules question)

dramatic flare
2015-05-01, 05:20 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to gauge the total limit of some magic items as my character gets close to end game levels, and I'm stuck on figuring out exactly how much of what I can add to his weapon and armor. I know the maximum enhancement is 10, but some things have no enhancement cost (Though they do fit into specific places on the enhancement table) and instead have a fixed cost.

For instance, "shadow" is just +3,750gp over base price though it is under the +2 enhancement column. I don't know if that's because d20pfsrd likes to organize things based around relative cost or if those effects actually cost that much enhancement to apply.

So, in order:
Do fixed-cost magic item effects also count towards total enhancement?
Where do you find that ruling? I'd like to be able to reference it myself but I can't find it anywhere.

OldTrees1
2015-05-01, 05:35 AM
So, in order:
Do fixed-cost magic item effects also count towards total enhancement?
Where do you find that ruling? I'd like to be able to reference it myself but I can't find it anywhere.

No.
Enhancement has rules for calculating a gp cost.
Fixed costs do not have rules for calculating an effective enchantment increase (can't cite an absence)
You need to end up with the total cost in gp.
Therefore it goes (total enhancement => gp cost) + fixed gp cost = total gp cost.

Psyren
2015-05-01, 07:26 AM
OldTrees1 is correct.

For instance, "shadow" is just +3,750gp over base price though it is under the +2 enhancement column. I don't know if that's because d20pfsrd likes to organize things based around relative cost or if those effects actually cost that much enhancement to apply.

It's the former - the PFSRD is just trying to index it alongside similar-cost enhancements (assuming of course a non-enhanced item.) In the actual CRB, all the properties are lumped together on one table, but the PFSRD is trying to break them out by relative cost/enhancement.

dramatic flare
2015-05-01, 11:35 AM
Well I guess there's not really a good chance of finding that ruling anywhere then.

Thanks guys.