PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Just a lump on a log...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-17, 08:02 PM
This is one of the very first creatures I ever made way back when, but didn't have a clue what I was doing at the time. So here the fellow is, all spruced up.

-=-=-=-=-

Burl Tortoise

The forest giants tower far above you, their twisted, age-hardened trunks covered with mosses. As you pass one by you hear a faint scraping and one of the infected burls that spot the trees deattaches on four scaley legs and hurls itself towards you...

Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 5d8+5 (27 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 21 (+3 dexterity, +8 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+6
Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d4+3)
Full attack: 2 claws +6 melee (1d4+3), bite +3 melee (1d6+1)
Space/reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce, rake
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 2/-, low-light vision, one with the wood, scent
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +3
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 16, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +13*, Move Silently +7, Listen +8, Spot +8*
Feats: Multiattack, Stealthy
Enviroment: Temperate or Warm Forest or Swamp
Organization: Solitary or Mates
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 6-9 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: -

Having adapted to the most hostile of jungles and woodlands, these fast-moving tortoises have climbed their way to the top of the food chian. Quick, and agile, coupled with a protective shell and scaly skin, these creatures are able to survive and thrive.

The creature appears as an unnaturally lithe, stream-liked tortoise. The scaley legs are very long and look to be made for running and leaping. Each one ends in a four toed foot with long, curving, grasping claws. Covering all this is a large, irregularly shaped, mostly hollow shell with almost no undershell. Its upper shell however is arched and hard-plated, resembling old, gnarled bark. Moss, algae and occasionally small mushrooms grow upon the shell. The legs can be pulled partially within, as well as the head and neck. The head is round and stubby with a sharp, beak-like mouth at the end of a long, flexible neck.

Burl tortoises are about four feet tall, around five and a half feet long including outstreched neck and tail, and generally three and a half feet wide.

Combat
Fights between burl tortoises and other creatures are rumored to be phenomenal. The burl tortoise are generally found clutching trees with their clawed paws that cannot be drawn into the shell. When they hear or smell potential prey below they extend their head and legs and leap down upon the creature.

One With the Wood (Ex): While clutching a tree and remaining unmoving a successful DC 15 Knowledge (nature) check is required to notice the tortoise is not a natural part of the trunk.

Pounce (Ex): If a burl tortoise charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +9 melee, damage 1d4+1.

Skills: Burl tortoises get a +8 racial bonus to hide in forested terrain and a +6 bonus to listen and spot.

Maerok
2007-04-17, 08:08 PM
You scare me, so very much.

Magnor Criol
2007-04-17, 08:18 PM
I like the One with the Wood ability - the Knowledge(Nature) check is pretty unique. Nice touch.

Fako
2007-04-17, 08:23 PM
You scare me, so very much.

Agreed...but at the same time, I can't help but look at each thread posted by VorpalTribble here...the enemies are fun to throw against my party, as one has memorized the MM...

Hazkali
2007-04-19, 02:48 AM
Looks good, might have to try one out in my campaign...

Just one thing I would note, maybe say that the "One with the Wood" ability requires the Knowledge check to be made using Wisdom instead of Intelligence, which is the better attribute for spotting things. Other than that the ability is pretty cool.

XtheYeti
2007-04-19, 07:16 AM
VT you have now officaly accounted for more of my total party killes than every book that wizards have put out. congratulations you are officaly the man

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-19, 07:34 AM
Just one thing I would note, maybe say that the "One with the Wood" ability requires the Knowledge check to be made using Wisdom instead of Intelligence, which is the better attribute for spotting things. Other than that the ability is pretty cool.
Oh, you still got to notice the thing with a spot check if its hiding on the tree. Once you have noticed it however you still have to pass a knowledge check to realize its not just a diseased tree wart.

Realms of Chaos
2007-04-20, 08:32 AM
The only word that comes to mind is "Why"?!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-26, 10:24 AM
The only word that comes to mind is "Why"?!
Well, why not?

Realms of Chaos
2007-04-27, 07:25 PM
Well, why not?

The story of your life, aint it?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-27, 10:47 PM
The story of your life, aint it?
At least a chapter or two anyways :smallwink:

Traveling_Angel
2007-04-28, 01:33 AM
Hmm, do your players ever get paranoid? because with all the entries like this one, I know I would be scared.