PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Do indirect bonuses stack with each other?

Odin's Eyepatch
2015-05-01, 08:14 AM
This is a bit of tricky question to formulate, so I better just start with examples:

Supposing you had the Longstrider spell cast on you, which gives you a +10 enhancement bonus to speed. This, as a side effect, also gives you +4 bonus on your jump checks. Does this bonus count as an enhancement bonus? And does this bonus stack with the Jump spell, which gives you a +10 (or more) enhancement bonus to your jump checks?

Other example:

A periapt of wisdom gives you an enhancement bonus to your wisdom. If you had the feat Stunning Fist, this would boost your stun DC. Ki Straps (MIC) is a magical item that gives you a +2 enhancement to your stunning fist DC. So does the bonus effect of the periapt of wisdom stack with the bonus effect of the Ki Straps?

The list goes on, with other combos of spells that indirectly boost the same checks or stats, but I have no idea if these indirect bonuses count as their original bonus type (like enhancement), or if it is just a unnamed bonus.

This probably is just a simple answer, but I've had no luck finding a rule that clarifies this.

Urpriest
2015-05-01, 08:42 AM
Bonus types don't propagate. The boost to your Wis enhances your Wis, and for the purpose of Stunning Fist DC a higher Wis by any means is the same.

GilesTheCleric
2015-05-01, 08:45 AM
Bonuses of the same type do not stack, except for dodge and untyped bonuses.

However, if you had a enhancement to an ability score, then that would effectively "stack" with enhancement bonuses to something else that include the ability mod as a bonus. This is because the ability mod is just an ability mod, and doesn't "carry with it" any bonus types that it receives.

If you are able to get things like "ability mod to damage" or similar, then depending on the wording those can "stack"(you receive the ability mod several times, and it adds).

Bronk
2015-05-01, 09:49 AM
This is a bit of tricky question to formulate, so I better just start with examples:

Supposing you had the Longstrider spell cast on you, which gives you a +10 enhancement bonus to speed. This, as a side effect, also gives you +4 bonus on your jump checks. Does this bonus count as an enhancement bonus? And does this bonus stack with the Jump spell, which gives you a +10 (or more) enhancement bonus to your jump checks?

Other example:

A periapt of wisdom gives you an enhancement bonus to your wisdom. If you had the feat Stunning Fist, this would boost your stun DC. Ki Straps (MIC) is a magical item that gives you a +2 enhancement to your stunning fist DC. So does the bonus effect of the periapt of wisdom stack with the bonus effect of the Ki Straps?

The list goes on, with other combos of spells that indirectly boost the same checks or stats, but I have no idea if these indirect bonuses count as their original bonus type (like enhancement), or if it is just a unnamed bonus.

This probably is just a simple answer, but I've had no luck finding a rule that clarifies this.

Long story short, yes, bonus stacking is only a problem if you've got multiple bonuses to the exact same stat, trait, ability, etc.

The rules for stacking are all geared towards modifiers directly affecting the same thing, plus there is an example listed under the enhancement bonus entry:

"Since enhancement bonuses to armor or natural armor effectively increase the armor or natural armor's bonus to AC, they don't apply against touch attacks."

This is a direct example of multiple enhancement bonuses affecting the same quality.

Umberhulk
2015-05-01, 09:50 AM
In both cases, yes it stacks.

Necroticplague
2015-05-01, 10:08 AM

Other example:

O.k, answering all of these one by one here;
no, yes,yes.

A derived stat does not care how it was derived. For your jump check, it looks at your speed, without caring whether that speed is just base, base+enhancement, or whatever. It only cares about the speed stat. Then, that derived stat can be boost seperately.

The rules precedence for this is silence on the subject. A bonus to a stat and the resultant increase in derived stats are separate objects entirely. So unless the rules specifically state so, there is no assumed equivalence. They do not say so, ergo they remain separate.

Odin's Eyepatch
2015-05-01, 12:07 PM
Thanks a lot everybody for clarifying all that. It makes a lot more sense now! :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2015-05-01, 01:36 PM
Bonuses of the same type do not stack, except for dodge and untyped bonuses.
That's not right; you're overlooking a couple of types there. From page 171 of Player's Handbook:
With the exception of dodge bonuses, most circumstance bonuses, and racial bonuses, only the better bonus works ...