PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons of Doom (Room 1;2)

Silkenfist
2007-04-17, 08:40 PM
Welcome to the Dungeons of Doom. You are all going to die down here sooner or later. You shouldn’t have insulted the DM’s mother or took his dice hostage in battle. Now you face the consequences. As you enter the next dungeon, all of you step onto a 40 by 40 feet field teleport trap that instantly transports you in the deepest cavern of a dungeon completely unknown to you. There is no escape and there is no exit. Just try to stay alive as long as you can.

Note that you are in separated rooms. No metagaming, no communication between the rooms.

Room 1:
You stay back and decide to help Deckmaster to catch up with the others. You go back for a while to catch up with him and you meet him there, alive and not even soiled. You continue your way up higher into the mountain, but as you ascend you have a weird feiling that something has changed since you went down although you are not able to lay the finger on it. You continue further and further but you don't think that you have yet seen the corridor where you encountered the Sewer Purge. You continue nonetheless and you notice the main hallway becoming more and more narrow. An uncanny feeling builds and you are soon convinced that there is some sort of magic nearby. Suddenly you notice as well that the corridor has become sloped all of a sudden. Unfortunately, you have already stepped on the pressure plate. From behind you hear a click and a mechanism being activated. You turn around only to see a large boulder rolling down the hallway towards you. It is currently 40 feet away from you while traveling at 6 mph and accelerating. The corridor in front of you is about ten feet wide and high, almost all of which is filled by the boulder, and stretches out for another 250 feet in front of you until it reaches an intersection.

Room 2:
After leaving behind the rescue group, you advance through the corridor. You notice that the hallways become flatter and wider and you notice smaller intersections although there is a clear main road at all times. You follow the main route until it becomes rougher and you see a natural cavern appear at the end of the hallway. You hear noise from somewhere in the cavern, so you approach it with caution.
As you sneak towards the opening, you are able to peek into a large natural cavern of about 120 feet in diameter at its widest. The exit of your hallway is in an elevated position on one of the walls with a narrow path leading down to ground level into the cavern. Inside you see a group of half-orcs and humans sitting around a fire, laughing and talking loudly. The path leads to the other side of the cave, but is almost adjacent to the group around the fire. As your eyes adjust to the flickeirng light of the fire, you see some sort of cages lying on the floor with small creatures in them.

These are your situations. You have until Friday, 7 PM Eastern to decide on a course of action.

:durkon:: The Support Thread. Check out Gear and Physical State of you and your companions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40427)

{table="head"]{colsp=3}The Players in the Dungeon of Doom
Aegeus|Alive|Room 2
Akaziel|Alive|Room 2
Altharis|DEAD|Room 1
Amiria, Countess of Mispelling|Alive|Room 2
Calamity|Alive|Room 1
Case|DEAD|Room 1
Castaras|Alive|Room 2
Deckmaster|Alive|Room 1
DLD|Alive|Room 2
Eldritch Knight|DEAD|Room 1
El Jaspero|Alive|Room 2
evnafets|Alive|Room 2
Fredricus|Alive|Room 2
Frigs|Alive|Room 2
GenericPC|DEAD|Room 1
Gezina|DEAD|Room 1
Gnome Barbarian|DEAD|Room 1
GoC|Alive|Room 1
Hivemind Ghost|Alive|Room 2
HyramGraff|Alive|Room 2
Jazzman|Alive|Room 2
KewlKat|Alive|Room 2
Krystal Tiger|Alive|Room 2
Kyrian|Alive|Room 2
Lucid Archon|Alive|Room 2
Maggie the Cat|DEAD|Room 1
Mewtarthio|Alive|Room 2
Meynolds|DEAD|Room 1
Orzel|Alive|Room 1
pendell|Alive|Room 1
pingcode20|Alive|Room 1
Rigel Cyrosea|Alive|Room 2
Rumda|Alive|Room 2
Thes Hunter|Alive|Room 2
Warpfire777|DEAD|Room 1
Zar Peter|Alive|Rooom 2
[/table]

Mewtarthio
2007-04-17, 09:17 PM
Room 2
Mewtarthio, trying his best to remain unnoticed, gagues the distance to the "exit," attempting to tell if he can DimDoor over to it. Of course, seeing as the occupants are apparently humanoid, he also readies his Wand of Charm Monster, just in case someone hostile notices him.

Akaziel
2007-04-17, 10:43 PM
Room 2

Akaziel grips the wall, trying to stay hidden. He prepares the wand and his trident, both can be immediately used if need be. The Anymug is also filled with jelly. And lots of it.

evnafets
2007-04-17, 11:52 PM
(Room 2)
Ok I think what we need here is a distraction.
Maybe we can let whatever is in those cages out. Whats in those cages anyway? Can anyone see from here without disturbing the people around the fire?

Mewtarthio
2007-04-18, 01:00 AM
(Room 2)
Ok I think what we need here is a distraction.
Maybe we can let whatever is in those cages out. Whats in those cages anyway? Can anyone see from here without disturbing the people around the fire?

"Bad idea," whispers Mewtarthio, "I doubt whatever's inside will be particularly grateful to us. I suppose I could try Charming something from here, if I get a good look at it, if we need to release it later..."

((Hey, Silkenfist, seeing as you don't want any communication, and your original posts were in spoiler boxes, do you want the rest of us to talk like this, or is it okay to post normally?))

Silkenfist
2007-04-18, 01:45 AM
Mew: Nah, it's fine. Just write down your room somewhere on top of your post.

DarkLightDragon
2007-04-18, 03:38 AM
Room 2

DLD looks uncertainly towards evnafets. Define "distraction..."

Rumda
2007-04-18, 04:34 AM
Room 2
Maybe I could cause a distraction with this rod...

pingcode20
2007-04-18, 04:57 AM
Room 1

"We need to block the boulder now!" yells Corven.

He has his fingers on his ring, anxious about the incoming boulder. If it closes to 20 feet, Corven will trigger the ring of controlled teleportation to 'port to the other side of the boulder.

DarkLightDragon
2007-04-18, 05:22 AM
((I wonder if room 1 is what I think it is...?))

Akaziel
2007-04-18, 05:42 AM
Room 2

"Huh... distraction, eh? We've got a fire, that can be drenched... things in cages, whatever they are.... and that group over there. What do you suggest we do?"

Jazzman
2007-04-18, 08:18 AM
Room 2

Jazzman (at the moment is visible), aware of his need to stay alive as long as possible so Deckmaster and the others can port back to him safely, focuses on his sword. The blade lengthens, and both it and the hilt widen, and crystallise into adamantine, forming a tower shield, with a handle so i can wield it, that retains the hilt (still holding the stone) and edge of the sword, as well as the tip.

He turns round and addresses the others.

"I can get Rigel close enough to lob a few ditherbombs into the group. I reckon sprays of acid might serve as a distraction."

Jazzman readies his ring of invisibility, ready to hide both him and Rigel if need be.

((lmao, thought of the perfect distraction. I could throw Orzel's rock into the middle of the group. I reckon 5 adventurers suddenly materialising in the centre of their camp would be a distraction and a half XD))

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-04-18, 09:35 AM
Room 2

Ditherbombs would be quite the distraction, but I don't think that's neccesarily going to be a good idea. I could lob the irresistable Ordon Goat Cheese near them. That would be a distraction, and it won't neccasarily make them hostile. If that doesn't work, then we could try the ditherbombs

Calamity
2007-04-18, 11:41 AM
Room 1
*Calamity sees the boulder, and his eyes widen in horror, he comes to his senses though*

"Quick, everyone! Get around me, I will activate the ring of protection!"

*Calamity does what he says*

GoC
2007-04-18, 02:35 PM
Room #1
"There's no way this can be that simple. Whatever is behind the rock must be worse than what's in front of it. Passwall!"
A 5' by 8' by 25' hole appears in the wall like so:

---------------------------
. . . . . T . . . . . . . . . . . . B
-------- . -----------------
--------- . ----------------
---------- . ---------------
----------- . --------------
---------------------------
B=boulder
T=team

GoC jumps into the hole and motions for the others to get in too.
"Calamity, stand just inside the hole and use your ring of protection. If the boulder nullifies magic you won't die and it will prevent whatever is behind the boulder from getting through. If the danger come from the other end you can deactivate it and I will attack whatever monster comes up. Deckmaster, use your tome to find out what is behind the rock."

Calamity
2007-04-18, 03:34 PM
Okay, I'll do as you say GoC, as they say, it's better to be safe safer than sorry. Good idea.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-18, 05:09 PM
Room 2

"Careful, we don't want to provoke them. Yet. We'll need to come up with a plan before we rush in throwing things everywhere. Now, as I mentioned before, I could probably safely Charm a few monsters in the cages, should we decide to release them, but I doubt I'd be able to hold them off from everyone else. Don't worry: If I'd intended to dump the rest of you guys, I'd just 'port over to that exit.

"I think that we should look a bit more closely and see if anyone appears to be important. I could try to Charm them. Failing that, the element of surprise will be lost when whoever I target notices the mental intrusion, so we might as well attack before he can raise an alarm. I don't think that brute force is the way to go here, though: Something tells me these guys won't go down easily. If we get into a fight without a coherent plan, it's every man for himself. Of course, as we're planning for the contingencies, we'll need to look for any authority figures. And I'm curious as to what's in those cages, too. Does anyone have any items that could help?

"...Okay, I'll admit it. A pair of magical glasses and a Tome of Infinite Knowledge would have been useful here."

Orzel
2007-04-18, 06:27 PM
Room 1

Orzel jumps into the hole in the wall. "Once we get the target secure, we're out."

Jazzman
2007-04-18, 06:32 PM
Room 2

"Hang on! I've got it. Amira, could you lend me your slippers? I'll climb across the ceiling invisible, I could get a better look at what's in the cages that way. Someone'd need to hold Orzel's rock if I did that, though."

((oh....oh man, I just had the best idea EVER

Picture this: Combine the Metamorphic Sword with the ring of invisibility, Mug of Endless Grog, and, the slippers of Spider climbing.

Person X climbs up, extends the (invisible) sword across the cave, and makes it into a very wide blade that dips in the middle. Fill up the dip with grog from the mug, then open up the dip, so the grog gets dumped across as many of the men as possible, and right across the fire.

WHUMPH, instant barbecue of most of the people!

....okay, so it's really far-fetched, but I havent slept in about 26 hours, so go figure :P ))

evnafets
2007-04-18, 06:39 PM
Room 2:

Whatever is in those cages doesn't have to be grateful to us. It just has to be causing some distraction among the party at the fire.
While they are tied up trying to get the things back in the cages, we just walk past in the confusion?
Ok, maybe a bad idea.

How many are there around the fire? We could always go with the "Kill everything in sight" plan. Do you think we could take them?

Or we could try joining the party. They're not necessarily hostile are they? Anyone got any dwarven beer?

Or we could try exploring the side tunnels to see if there is a way around the main cavern.

Just tossing out options here

Copacetic
2007-04-18, 06:56 PM
" Hmm, tricky. They could be bounty hunters catching dangerous criminals, or kidnappers catching monsters. O say infor is the best at this time." Frigs crawls onto his bellie and inches across the floor with his sword out.

Aegeus
2007-04-18, 07:34 PM
(Room 2)
Aegeus rummages through his belt and whips out a mirror and a bullseye lantern (filled and lit). As he pulls out the lantern, he covers the opening with the mirror (to prevent the people from spotting him). He then uses the mirror to reflect the light from the lantern over to the opposite side of the cavern.

He whispers: "With a little luck, our friends down there will go off on a wild goose chase while we sneak down this path."

If the people don't fall for it, Aegeus will keep sneaking and hope he isn't spotted.

"I'm thinking that I might be able to stealth-kill one of them with a thrown dagger. I probably won't be noticed because it returns, but I don't want to take the risk. What do you think?"

Deckmaster
2007-04-18, 07:56 PM
Room 1:

I follow everyone's lead, but not before using my glasses' X-ray feature to try and see what's behind the boulder.

GoC
2007-04-18, 08:41 PM
((I bet half the people in room 2 are wishing I was there as I've currently got the most effective multi-target weapon in the party.:smallbiggrin:))

"Deckmaster, what do you see?"

Akaziel
2007-04-18, 11:25 PM
"We need to see if the group is hostile first before doing anything... I've got a plan... One of us goes there and gives a peace offering. If they're not hostile, they'll let us through. If they are... well, someone's gotta back 'em up, preferably with a powerful weapon. Oh, and evnafets, you wanted dwarven beer? I've got some of that." Akaziel empties the Anymug and fills it with said beer.

pingcode20
2007-04-19, 04:55 AM
((No, I've got the most effective Multi-Target weapon - I can wipe out an entire race and then some with it. Granted, it's not much help if you're not trying to kill everything of that race, but still.))

Corven also climbs into the hole in the wall, still ready to trip the ring should everything go kittywhompus.

Rumda
2007-04-19, 05:44 AM
((the rod of wonder CAN be an effective multi target weapon but its more likly to be effectively harmless))
Room 2
why not just use everything at once that will cause a distraction

DarkLightDragon
2007-04-19, 06:02 AM
DLD remains silent, ready to draw her Keyblade and attack if need be.

Kyrian
2007-04-19, 07:05 AM
Kyrian readies Renegade.

pendell
2007-04-19, 08:02 AM
Room 1

Pendell hurriedly follows GoC into the passwall-created tunnel

Are we supposed to have our stuff behind spoiler tags? I don't think we're supposed to know what's going on in room 2, or vice versa.

BTW, GoC FTW! If there's an MVP award at the end of the game, you've just earned points toward that.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Thes Hunter
2007-04-19, 10:38 AM
Room 2

"The distraction is a good idea. However, it will be better to distract them and draw them off. Like Aegues is attempting with his lantern. Can anyone produce an illusion away from us?"

Castaras
2007-04-19, 10:47 AM
Room 2

Castaras twirls her pieomancy staff, thinking.

I could create some food for them to go after...If we knew what sort of flavours they liked to eat...although I have a feeling I'd be the one who was eaten if that is the case...hmm...though we do need some kind of distraction...

Thes Hunter
2007-04-19, 11:02 AM
Room 2

Castaras twirls her pieomancy staff, thinking.

I could create some food for them to go after...If we knew what sort of flavours they liked to eat...although I have a feeling I'd be the one who was eaten if that is the case...hmm...though we do need some kind of distraction...

Meat pies, Monsterous humaniods always run for meat pies. Can't really go wrong there.

Castaras
2007-04-19, 11:05 AM
Castaras nods.

Yes. Poison or no poison?

Amiria
2007-04-19, 11:11 AM
Room 2

Amiria carefully climbs at bit on the wall with her Fuzzy Bunny Slippers of Spider Climbing. "I can target only one of them with my staff, but I could disintegrate a big hole into the ceiling or floor.", she whispers.

Thes Hunter
2007-04-19, 11:48 AM
Room 2:

"I think poison wouldn't hurt. But can you conjour the pies away from here?"

Hivemind Ghost
2007-04-19, 02:54 PM
Suryc ignores the rest of the group and walks toward the exit. If he's stopped. he explains his situation, and respectfully asks to pass.

(Hey, he's a Ninja, they're good with diplomacy.)

Aegeus
2007-04-19, 02:54 PM
Room 2:

"If we all sneak-attack at once, we could probably take them out, but we might get injured. I say we only strike if they see us. But the poison pies are a good idea."

Mewtarthio
2007-04-19, 04:03 PM
Room 2

"Get back here, Suryc; you'll give us all away."

Zar Peter
2007-04-19, 05:21 PM
Room 2

I don't have a clue, I'll take a star of my robe and blow the fog horn and head to the exit, covered in fog

evnafets
2007-04-19, 05:36 PM
What the hell. Got to die sooner or later.

Who's up for going down and joining the party? I got some halfling rations. If we take the beer down as well, they should be friendly right?
They might even invite us to dinner, as the special guests of honour.

Fredricus
2007-04-19, 06:07 PM
Fredricus has been listening at their plans, armed with his doublelightsaber and his rope. He couldn't do much and he wouldn't ignite the saber before he needed to use it.

inky13112
2007-04-19, 06:33 PM
Heh thats what I'd do. Just walk up to them and say "hi". Its simple, and if they're not friendly, you can always just walk away slowly while talking until you have your back to the objective door and then run. Of course its things like that that got my last character in a campaign killed... so, carry on. :smallbiggrin:

Jazzman
2007-04-19, 07:17 PM
In response to Suryc approaching the group, I revert my sword to its original iron form, activate my ring of invisibility, and offer Rigel the option to join me in sneaking past the group to the exit.

If Rigel refuses, I sneak off, ready to gith if discovered. If he accepts, I grab hold of him and we sneak off. If Orzel and co. use the stone to teleport to me whilst in mid-sneak, I'll remain invisible and try and slip away.

If discovered, I'll morph my sword's blade into adamantine and wreathe it in flames, ready to fend off my attackers.

((listing my actions in case the forum has another outage and I can't post my actions in time))

Mewtarthio
2007-04-19, 07:25 PM
Room 2

"Well, this is certainly starting to shape up poorly. If any violence occurs before we're ready, I'm DimDooring over to the exit to heal whoever survives... though with our luck, it'll be the nest of some horrible creature."

GoC
2007-04-19, 09:30 PM
((Thank you Pendell:smallredface:))

Akaziel
2007-04-19, 11:10 PM
Room 2

"I agree with evnafets. Peace is the way to go in this situation. I've got the beer... and a weapon, in case they turn out to be hostile."

Kyrian
2007-04-19, 11:13 PM
Room 2

Kyrian keeps Renegade ready, but would rather peace.

evnafets
2007-04-19, 11:14 PM
Right then. I'm going on down to join the party, bearing a gift of food.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-19, 11:46 PM
Room 2

"So long as you're abandoning all stealth, is it too much to ask for you to do so in an attention-grabbing manner, so that the less trusting of us can slip by? Do you know any magic tricks? Something distracting you can fill the Anymug with?"

Mewtarthio prepares to DimDoor to the exit once the group either appears distracted or notices him.

Lucid_Archon
2007-04-19, 11:59 PM
Room 2

Lucid thinks it over, and decides a dead run is the best option. As soon as one of the other members of the party distracts or disables the creatures, he uses his quarterstaff as a pole vault, extending it to launch himself at the exit. (Unless the creatures are clearly friendly, in which case I wave, smile, and walk by)

Akaziel
2007-04-20, 12:38 AM
Room 2

"If it's a distraction you want, I could cast Jelly Thoughts on them. Fill up the Anymug with Jelly, and throw it somewhere far away, like a corner away from the exit. I'll do that instead... Evnafets, do you have a glass of some sort? I'll be giving you the beer now..."

DarkLightDragon
2007-04-20, 01:24 AM
DLD tightens her grip on the Keyblade but gets ready to run to the exit if things don't go well.

Amiria
2007-04-20, 01:51 AM
Room 2

"Alright, we try it peaceful then.", says Amiria and climbs back to the ground. Nevertheless she casts Expeditious Retreat on herself with her staff for the case that things go awry.

Rigel Cyrosea
2007-04-20, 09:59 AM
I'm going with Jazzman.

Rumda
2007-04-20, 10:04 AM
Room 2
seeing the other leave Rumda hangs back follows close rapier at the ready close enough to rush in if things turned sour but far enough away to seem to be an intimidate threat to the group

HyramGraff
2007-04-20, 10:36 AM
Room 2

Hyram Graff takes a few steps back form the entrance to the cavern and waits for what he presumes will be carnage in the room. He faces the room with his wand of wonder ready to zap any hostile non party members that come toward him and his Si readied in case he needs to start bashing things.

Castaras
2007-04-20, 10:43 AM
Room 2

Castaras prepares to summon some meat pies.

Where should I summon them?

Thes Hunter
2007-04-20, 12:23 PM
"In the direction away from us, and away from the exit."

Thes draws and wields her trusty swiss army blade. 4" of deadly steel.

Thes gets ready to run like hell towards the exit (staying as far away from the monsters as possible) as soon as a distraction pulls their attention (and hopefully themselves) away from the path to the exit.

Castaras
2007-04-20, 12:26 PM
Castaras summons some meat pies with scentless poison away from both exits, and prepares to run after Thes.

Hivemind Ghost
2007-04-20, 03:10 PM
Room 2

Hyram Graff takes a few steps back form the entrance to the cavern and waits for what he presumes will be carnage in the room. He faces the room with his wand of wonder ready to zap any hostile non party members that come toward him and his Si readied in case he needs to start bashing things.

(Emphasis Mine)
Wait, so if I come up to you and try and cut you in half, you wouldn't do anything? Sweet:amused:

KewlKat
2007-04-20, 04:33 PM
Room 2

KewlKat just hangs back, waiting to see how the others fare. If the group turns out to be peaceful, he will come out of hiding and join the rest of the adventurers. If there is a suitable distraction, he will try to sneak past. Otherwise, he will simply stay put.

Silkenfist
2007-04-20, 07:46 PM
More death and mishap: Let's see what happened:

Effect 1: The Illusion Bridge Trap
The good news: There is no boulder to be afraid of. The bad news: There are no walls either...you have been standing on a narrow bridge over a chasm. Walls, ceiling and boulder are all results of a Programmed Image to simulate a normal hallway.

Survival Criterion:
Basically, the survival criterion was: Don't jump off the bridge, for example by trying to scale the wall or bracing yourself against it. Creating a hole in the wall and jumping into it was something I honestly didn't expect to happen.

GoC uses his Staff of Passage to create a tunnel in the wall and invites everyone to follow him into it. His five companions follow but pingcode still keeps his ring ready just in case. Deckmaster uses his goggles to look for hidden monster behind the boulder but fails to find some.
You leap into thin air one by one, your screams narrowly covered by the script disguising them as echoes of your steps in the "hallway". As soon as your feet lose the ground, you take a solid 200 feet fall onto the natural granite floor of the chasm below.
Calamity, Deckmaster and pendell have no way to protect themselves and will be crushed upon impact.
Orzel has the option to speak the command word for his magic rock, although he can't take anyone with him.
pingcode had readied the ring earlier and will be able to use its teleport function.
GoC hits the floor at full speed as well, but the Amulet of Contingent True Resurrection saves him. His body is returned to life at the bottom of the chasm.

Loot Criterion:
There is no loot here...other than the possessions of your dead comrades. GoC will be able to find the broken bodies of Calamity, Deckmaster and pendell sprawled across the floor. Some of their items have broken, but there are still...
A Staff of Ice
A Ring of Protection
A Scimitar
A Tome of Infinite Knowledge
A Ten-Foot Pole
A Set of Thieves' Tools

pingcode20
2007-04-20, 07:54 PM
"A-A-Aaaah!" screams Corven, tripping his ring reflexively and teleporting back onto what he now knew was a bridge.

Clutching the narrow bridge tightly, he peered carefully over the edge, squinting to see if the critical tome was still intact.

"Is anybody still alive down there?" he called, in that irrational, redundant way that humans often do.

Silkenfist
2007-04-20, 08:04 PM
Effect 2: The Slavers
The group in the cavern are just a friendly gang of slavers. They have specialized in crawling through dungeons like this one, picking off helpless creatures. Fortunately for all of you, they are not eager to pick fights against normal opponents.

Survival Criterion:
The bad news: All of your plans were needless. The good news: This is just an Anti-Inactivity-Room: There are no negative effects unless you are completely inactive in the round.

Loot Criterion:
There was something to be gained, though. Everyone who approaches or addresses the Slavers will be rewarded with a Pudgy Halfling Slave on a Leash.

The largest group of you didn't chose the peaceful approach, though. With a variety of distractions, you sneak your way past the Slavers. Aegeus uses a lightshow with his lantern to cover his steps, Castaras and Thes use the distraction of pies randomly appearing. Frigs crawls across the floor while Lucid Archon simply makes a run for it. Jazzman and Rigel Cyrosea use the power of invisibility to bypass them while Zar Peter hulls himself in fog to get past. The Slavers look at the various distractions in amusement and don't intervene.

Amiria, evnafets and Hivemind Ghost chose the optimal path of action, though. The four of them are walking up to them openly and respond to the Slavers friendly calls. They join them at their fireplace, where they exchange stories. They part after a while but not before the Slavers hand them a small will-less halfling slave. Those things might come in handy later.

Rumda and KewlKat have kept themselves behind the group of three, but the rough talk and crude jokes of the slavers had repelled them a bit. They walk past the Slavers as well but they won't receive a gift.

A rather large group had decided to stay in the back and observe rather than act. Mewtarthio used the cover of the various distractions to send himself to the exit via Dimensional Door while the group of Akaziel, Fredricus, DLD, HyramGraff and Kyrian stays with him in the back as well undetermined. After they see their companions signal them from the other side that there is no danger, they follow them, though.

El Jaspero and KrystalTiger are the only ones who remain. They have fallen asleep at the entrance of the cavern where they were easy prey for the Slavers. While the others continue, the two of them will awake on an Ogre buffet table or something similarly lethal.

Silkenfist
2007-04-20, 08:16 PM
Aegeus|Alive|Room 3
Akaziel|Alive|Room 3
Altharis|DEAD|Room 1
Amiria, Countess of Mispelling|Alive|Room 3
Calamity|DEAD|Room 1
Case|DEAD|Room 1
Castaras|Alive|Room 3
Deckmaster|DEAD|Room 1
DLD|Alive|Room 3
El Jaspero|DEAD|Room 2
evnafets|Alive|Room 3
Fredricus|Alive|Room 3
Frigs|Alive|Room 3
GenericPC|DEAD|Room 1
Gezina|DEAD|Room 1
GoC|Alive|Room 2
Hivemind Ghost|Alive|Room 3
HyramGraff|Alive|Room 3
Jazzman|Alive|Room 3
KewlKat|Alive|Room 3
Krystal Tiger|DEAD|Room 2
Kyrian|Alive|Room 3
Lucid Archon|Alive|Room 3
Mewtarthio|Alive|Room 3
Meynolds|DEAD|Room 1
Orzel|Alive|Room 3
pendell|DEAD|Room 1
pingcode20|Alive|Room 2
Rigel Cyrosea|Alive|Room 3
Rumda|Alive|Room 3
Thes Hunter|Alive|Room 3
Warpfire777|DEAD|Room 1
Zar Peter|Alive|Rooom 3
[/table]

:durkon:: The Support Thread. Check out Gear and Physical State of you and your companions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40427)

The Aftermath Phase begins now. If you want to organise yourselves before you enter the next room, you may do so until Sunday, 12 PM Eastern

Mewtarthio
2007-04-20, 08:49 PM
"Well... that was certainly... anticlimactic," mutters a slightly embarrassed Mewtarthio.

Kyrian
2007-04-20, 08:53 PM
Silk...where are you coming up with this stuff, out of curiosity.

pingcode20
2007-04-20, 09:11 PM
((Say, am I able to see to the bottom and/or teleport to the loot? And return to the top of the bridge?))

GoC
2007-04-20, 09:22 PM
((You have got to be kidding me.:smalleek:
I just killed half the "rescue" team.:smallfrown:
Silkenfist apparently isn't using either RL or D&D physics:
It takes 3-4 seconds to get to the bottom. This is enough time for Calamity to use his ring (he had his finger placed to activate it, remember?).))

If you decide to ignore this then GoC will gather the possessions of his comrades, levitate up to the bridge and ask the Tome the following question:

"What are the coordinates (to the nearest ft) of Jazzman's right eye considering the origin at GoC's right eye, the x and y axis' parallel to the floor, the x axis going from GoC's right eye to to any part of the line segment connecting Pingcode20's right eye and the center of the Earth (Pingcode20's eye must have a positive x coordinate), with the wall on the right from GoC's perspective when he's looking at Pingcode20 having a positive y coordinate and GoC's feet having a negative z coordinate?"

He will then teleport himself and Pingcode20 to Jazzman. The "loot" will be divided between the survivers. GoC picks the Tome of Infinite Knowledge so that this tragedy will never happen again. He'd also like the staff of ice as his own staff probably has finite charges.

"I feel incredibly guilty for dragging you all into this. I'm sorry.":smallfrown:

pingcode20
2007-04-20, 09:31 PM
((Or, I could have dropped the ring down to you. It's my ring which does teleport, anyways. Not Calamity's. I was the one who prepared to trip it.

Calamity had the protection ring.

And... uh... aren't you down in the chasm and I'm up on the bridge, courtesy of teleport?

Fine, renaming self to pingcode...))

Pingcode hears GoC's voice.

"Hoy! GoC! Are you okay?" he yells, peering as hard as he could into the cavern.

"Can you get up? I can drop my ring down to you if you need it!"

GoC
2007-04-20, 09:47 PM
((Or, I could have dropped the ring down to you. It's my ring which does teleport, anyways. Not Calamity's. Not I was the one who prepared to trip it.

Calamity had the protection ring.

And... uh... aren't you down in the chasm and I'm up on the bridge, courtesy of teleport?

Fine, renaming self to pingcode...))

Pingcode hears GoC's voice.

"Hoy! GoC! Are you okay?" he yells, peering as hard as he could into the cavern.

"Can you get up? I can drop my ring down to you if you need it!"

Calamity's ring would have protected those three from the fall.

"Yes, I'm fine. Unfortunately the same can not be said of our companions. Considering the fact that your ring has infinite uses while my staff doesn't could you drop it down? I'll teleport up and then we can rejoin the rest of the party."

((The tragic thing is that I've seen that trap before but didn't remember it.:smallmad:))

pingcode20
2007-04-20, 09:57 PM
Pingcode pulls off the ring, taking extra care to hold on tight, and dropped it down to GoC.

"Just put it on an will yourself to the top. Don't forget to bring everything up."

When GoC arrived back on the bridge, Pingcode looked at the possessions of his late companions.

"Say, if you're going to take the staff of ice, could I have one of your other staves? I've got a wand of cancellation, but it's hardly going to help stop a real monster."

Barring objections, he also takes the ring of protection and the scimitar.

GoC
2007-04-20, 10:12 PM
Pingcode pulls off the ring, taking extra care to hold on tight, and dropped it down to GoC.

"Just put it on an will yourself to the top. Don't forget to bring everything up."

When GoC arrived back on the bridge, Pingcode looked at the possessions of his late companions.

"Say, if you're going to take the staff of ice, could I have one of your other staves? I've got a wand of cancellation, but it's hardly going to help stop a real monster."

Barring objections, he also takes the ring of protection and the scimitar.

((We're sharing with Orzel so only 2 items each.
The powerful items are:
Tome
Ring
Staff

I take the Tome and whichever minor item is left over.
Pick one powerful and one weak item.))

GoC teleports up to the bridge using pingcode's ring. He then asks the Tome the question mentioned in the parragraph beginning with ""What" in post #70 in this thread.

pingcode20
2007-04-20, 10:33 PM
((Fair enough. I'll grab the staff and lockpicks then. Oh, and hang on to my ring, in case Silkenfist accidentally moves possession of it.))

"Alright, I'll hang on to the Ice Staff and the lockpicks. Oh, and I'll grab my ring back before I forget it."

Pingcode slipped his ring back on, and puts the staff on his back using a miscellaneous strap which materialised as it became necessary to actually store it somewhere.

"Well, at least I have a weapon now."

He unfurled the toolset and examined its contents. There was, of course, the obvious set of lockpicks - only a basic set, though, sadly - and a variety of tools and clippers, for the thwarting of almost any mechanical trap. Helpfully, most of these tools were also very versatile, like crowbars, pliers, tin snips, and various cutting implements.

After examining the variety of high quality tools in the set, he rolled it back into its 'parcel' form and hooked it to his belt.

DarkLightDragon
2007-04-20, 11:43 PM
((Heheheheheheh... I knew room 1 was the fake boulder trap!))

Orzel
2007-04-21, 12:30 AM
After a 3 word prayer, Orzel yells "Geoportal" and is transported to Jazzman's side. His rock is safely in his pocket and he knows not of the fates of the rescuers.

"Guys, bad news."

pingcode20
2007-04-21, 01:13 AM
((Well, given that Orzel isn't exactly at the scene... why not roll for the ring of protection? 1d100 should be good enough to avoid needing rerolls.))

"Well, it seems Orzel won't be joining us, so let's roll a die - the one who rolls highest gets the ring." He pulled a convenient 100-sided die from his pocket and rolled it on the bridge.

"[roll0]. Your roll."

Silkenfist
2007-04-21, 03:49 AM
Calamity's ring would have protected those three from the fall.

It would have? OK, I will always reverse previous effects or alter them if you give me a good reason. However, I have absolutely no idea how conjuring a barrier will help you if you are already falling at high velocity.

Akaziel
2007-04-21, 05:18 AM
Akaziel sighs with relief. "Onward to Room 3!"

Calamity
2007-04-21, 06:06 AM
The barrier was aleardy activated before the fall.... I am sure I said that.

It would have took the impact, and break, and then I would fall just inches from the ground??

(GoC got me killed!!! :smalltongue:)

Silkenfist
2007-04-21, 06:25 AM
Calamity: Well...the Barrier doesn't simply "take the impact". You may not fall on the ground, but you still fall on a barrier. You hit the barrier with the energy of your fall. Newton's third law dictates that you suffer an identical reaction. If the barrier is solid, it will be the same difference as if you hit the floor and if it is a break-away barrier, it shouldn't slow you down enough to let you survive.
There would be one thing that could save you and that would be an elastic barrier. But given that this property wasn't specified by you in the beginning, I say it is too much of a stretch to say, your ring is able to conjure one of these.

Yes, I know I will be going to pun hell for this. It's cool, evil DM hell has called dibs already.

pingcode20
2007-04-21, 06:35 AM
Although, if it wasn't a localised field (ie. Not personal shield style) you may be able to make a case for creating the barrier directly below you - if it functioned like a Wall of Force, then you could say you created it as you fell so you dropped a not-so-lethal 5ft instead of a crushed-to-a-fine-pulp 200ft.

Such a thing would probably involve some luck, though, given that you had what amounts to a split second to create the barrier before you fell too far and would die anyway.

A break away barrier? Well, if you used all ten charges to hit the 'ground' once every 20ft... you might be able to make a case for 'crippled-for-life'...

Silkenfist
2007-04-21, 07:10 AM
pingcode: It doesn't work either. It doesn't matter whether there is solid matter. As soon as you impact onto "something", "something" hits back. And in addition to all of this, there is the velocity differential. The high amount of G forces you suffer at a sudden stop will likely destroy most of your inner organs even if the impact itself doesn't. I'm not rooting for a high bodycount (OK, that one was a lie...I am. But I try to be fair), but I am a passionate hater of catgirls and follower of RL physics. And physics dictate that there is very few you can do to survive a fall from several hundred feet.

pingcode20
2007-04-21, 07:16 AM
Well, if it was solid enough to stop you, you could make the 'floor' high up enough that you could walk away from it.

As in, creating the solid barrier only 1-2ft down from the bridge, in which case it would be a 5ft fall, not a lethal 200ft fall, and at worst you break a leg.

It's more about cutting down the length of the actual drop rather than breaking the fall.

Silkenfist
2007-04-21, 07:28 AM
Ah, I see. However, the problem is that you have to clear the field of the Illusion before you even realize that you are falling and NOT standing into a spider-hole in the wall. After that, you need another small amount of time to react. You wouldn't suffer the whole 200 ft but it would still be a lot.

Still, you could survive it, although not comfortably. If Calamity says, he would have activated a barrier directly below his feet as soon as he realizes that he is falling, I'll let him succeed in creating a barrier in mid-air. He'll survive the drop, but it will break both of his legs - which is the best possible scenario for him, since if he doesn't land on his feet, his head will suffer too much of a velocity differential and his neck would just snap.

So, Calamity? Is this feasible for you?

GoC
2007-04-21, 09:26 AM
The barrier was aleardy activated before the fall.... I am sure I said that.

It would have took the impact, and break, and then I would fall just inches from the ground??

(GoC got me killed!!! :smalltongue:)

Thanks for rubbing it in.:smallfrown:
I really hope you were able to active your ring. If you did everyone apart from me has broken legs, some modest internal injuries, is sitting on a sperical platform of force 180 ft off the ground.:smalltongue: If the above is the case please wait for Pingcode to collect my valuable magic items before teleporting out.:smalltongue:
Well at least everyone would be alive (no thanks to me, though :smallfrown:).

Silkenfist
2007-04-21, 09:35 AM
Uhm...no. Calamity will be alive, the others won't. To be saved, they would have needed to jump after Calamity AND be on a similar trajectory. I am already producing a good outcome for Calamity because of his own equipment, but for Deckmaster and pendell, it will not work.

Aegeus
2007-04-21, 09:52 AM
Room 2:
"Great... we got ourselves a few disposable minions." Aegeus says. "And I didn't get one. Ah well, on to the next room!"

OOC: What would have happened to inactive people? Nabbed by the slavers?

Calamity
2007-04-21, 11:45 AM
Ah, I see. However, the problem is that you have to clear the field of the Illusion before you even realize that you are falling and NOT standing into a spider-hole in the wall. After that, you need another small amount of time to react. You wouldn't suffer the whole 200 ft but it would still be a lot.

Still, you could survive it, although not comfortably. If Calamity says, he would have activated a barrier directly below his feet as soon as he realizes that he is falling, I'll let him succeed in creating a barrier in mid-air. He'll survive the drop, but it will break both of his legs - which is the best possible scenario for him, since if he doesn't land on his feet, his head will suffer too much of a velocity differential and his neck would just snap.

So, Calamity? Is this feasible for you?

(Meh, works for me...)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

*Calamity realizes he can't get up*

Owwww, I'd rather not be able to feel my legs than feel how much pain I am now..... does anyone have a wheelchair by any chance?

Mewtarthio
2007-04-21, 11:53 AM
"Orzel! What happened? Where's everyone else?"

Copacetic
2007-04-21, 02:30 PM
" Bugger, I didn't get a slave. Onward to room 3!"

Hivemind Ghost
2007-04-21, 02:32 PM
Suryc thanks the slavers and heads on.

"See, what did I say? Now let's get a move on before we find someone not so friendly."

GoC
2007-04-21, 04:18 PM
Uhm...no. Calamity will be alive, the others won't. To be saved, they would have needed to jump after Calamity AND be on a similar trajectory. I am already producing a good outcome for Calamity because of his own equipment, but for Deckmaster and pendell, it will not work.

They did jump after Calamity. See posts #16 (my post) and #17 (Calamity's post).
I'd estimate that the maximum difference in velocity between each person was 5ft/s and the hieght of fall couldn't have been more than 40 ft.
The dimensions of the barrier he can create weren't specified in the Recruitment thread but are probably from 10ft by 10ft to 20ft by 20ft. This means that almost everyone falling after calamity would have hit the barrier too.
As a guy who knows physics you can verify this yourself.:smalltongue:

Thes Hunter
2007-04-21, 05:18 PM
Thes grabs more of the GM's booze and munchs on more of his pretzels, and watches the people argue with the GM. Because hey, if he is going to kill us in even more capricious manner, we might as well enjoy what got us into the situation in the first place.

Copacetic
2007-04-21, 05:35 PM
Frigs concurs and eats Silkie's Funions and drink's his coke

Amiria
2007-04-21, 05:37 PM
Amiria walks towards room 3, with her will-less halfling slave literally in tow. "I wonder what your fate will be my little fellow ... cannon-fodder, trade good, mine-sniffer, food ... hero of the cosmos ... I bet you are excited."

pingcode20
2007-04-21, 06:22 PM
((I was under the impression that the plan was for Calamity to go in last and use the barrier to block the boulder... I doubt that it would have been possible for it to work any other way, and leave Calamity alive - if the barrier was semi-permeable, he would hit it, break both legs, then... uh... fall through and die.

Even if he did say he would follow through first, it doesn't make sense that the person who logically would need to go in last would go in first. As such, I'm going to go with Calamity Survives but he Went In Last.

Besides, I'm still standing by my trip-and-port thing.))

"You're okay!" exclaims Pingcode, after GoC made it back up and he noticed Calamity. Noting that he appeared to be in a bowl created by his ring, Pingcode dropped his ring again down to Calamity, reclaiming it once Calamity managed to get back.

"Well, of what's left... I suppose I'll take the toolset."

He unfurled the toolset and examined its contents. There was, of course, the obvious set of lockpicks - only a basic set, though, sadly - and a variety of tools and clippers, for the thwarting of almost any mechanical trap. Helpfully, most of these tools were also very versatile, like crowbars, pliers, tin snips, and various cutting implements.

After examining the variety of high quality tools in the set, he rolled it back into its 'parcel' form and hooked it to his belt.

"You know, why don't you two swap staves - I think Calamity might need that levitation power more than the power to make ice at the moment."

GoC
2007-04-21, 06:34 PM
((I was under the impression that the plan was for Calamity to go in last and use the barrier to block the boulder... I doubt that it would have been possible for it to work any other way, and leave Calamity alive - if the barrier was semi-permeable, he would hit it, break both legs, then... uh... fall through and die.

Even if he did say he would follow through first, it doesn't make sense that the person who logically would need to go in last would go in first. As such, I'm going to go with Calamity Survives but he Went In Last.

Besides, I'm still standing by my trip-and-port thing.))

"You're okay!" exclaims Pingcode, after GoC made it back up and he noticed Calamity. Noting that he appeared to be in a bowl created by his ring, Pingcode dropped his ring again down to Calamity, reclaiming it once Calamity managed to get back.

"Well, of what's left... I suppose I'll take the toolset."

"You know, why don't you two swap staves - I think Calamity might need that levitation power more than the power to make ice at the moment."

Actualy the plan was for everyone to jump in and then Calamity would activate his force field. I was under the impression that all un-canceled actions are excecuted in the order they are posted.

"I only have a few levitation spells though and we're joining the others (they've got a guy who heals) in a minute anyway."

Kyrian
2007-04-21, 09:56 PM
Kyrian continues onwards, resheathing Renegade.

Fredricus
2007-04-22, 03:38 AM
Fredricus wanders onwards with the rest to the next room

Jazzman
2007-04-22, 04:38 AM
As does Jazzman, sword at the ready, still invisible.

pingcode20
2007-04-22, 05:14 AM
Pingcode finishes the aftermath phase by asking the book questions until he gains enough information to teleport to Orzel (Verified with the question at the end 'Do I have enough information to teleport so my feet are just above the ground are within 1-5ft to of Orzel's location without appearing in any other objects', ad infinitum. With GoC's permission, he would also take the book with him, though it is not strictly necessary.

He also asks questions until he would have enough information to teleport back to the rescue party without actually having seen the location. The same process of asking until it would be possible, and finally requesting it to condense it so he could repeat it. This also includes an additional proviso that it is on top of the bridge.

After gaining this information, he uses his ring to teleport to Orzel, takes his magic rock (with permission), and passes his ring to Orzel. He repeats this information which would allow him to teleport, and sends him on his way.

Orzel could then Magic Rock the rescuers to the main party again.

After this, Pingcode would return the rock, and reclaim his ring.

As this is all non-harmful, It shouldn't be much of a stretch to allow it to occur, given that there is no net gain or loss for any party, barring objections.

Scratch that. I just had an even better idea.

To end the Aftermath Phase, Pingcode asks the book "What is the command word to Orzel's Magic Rock?". He then grabs GoC and Calamity then speaks the Magic Word, teleporting himself and the other two to the party.

Calamity
2007-04-22, 06:06 AM
Hey, guys? Wait, don't leave me here! Why is eveyone teleporting out on me?

Zar Peter
2007-04-22, 06:32 AM
Zar Peter, banging his had on severeal rocks because of the fog, goes forward to the next room.

Castaras
2007-04-22, 06:36 AM
Castaras moves onto the next room, slightly embarrassed.

pendell
2007-04-23, 08:27 AM
Now THAT was tricky. Kudos, Silkenfist! I'll remember it for next time.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Silkenfist
2007-04-23, 04:08 PM
End of Aftermath Phase

pingcode tosses down his ring into the Chasm as soon as he hears GoC's words. GoC then gathers the loot at the bottom of the pit and teleports up to the bridge. There, the two of them notice Calamity lying on a small platform thirty feet below them. They teleport down to the platform, take hold of their companion who has broken both legs upon impact, then teleport to the location, the Tome of Infinite Knowledge, reveals to them as place of the others. Deckmaster and pendell, however, are NOT saved by the force platform. (Actually there is no rule that events occur in chronological order as written in the text. Also, there is a rule that cooperation between players must be coordinated and I still say it is highly unlikely that two people who accidentally go/run/stumble/trip off a bridge have trajectories that bring them to one point when they are already thirty feet down) Also, Calamity will be dragged along by his rescuers until stated otherwise by any of them. pingcode and GoC share the loot from below. GoC takes the Tome of Infinite Knowledge, while pingcode receives the pole, the scimitar and the Thieve's Tools.
Orzel is a bit quicker as he just speaks the command word of his rock and is teleported to the location of Jazzman's sword.

The Revised List

Aegeus|Alive|Room 3
Akaziel|Alive|Room 3
Altharis|DEAD|Room 1
Amiria, Countess of Mispelling|Alive|Room 3
Calamity|Alive|Room 3
Case|DEAD|Room 1
Castaras|Alive|Room 3
Deckmaster|DEAD|Room 1
DLD|Alive|Room 3
El Jaspero|DEAD|Room 2
evnafets|Alive|Room 3
Fredricus|Alive|Room 3
Frigs|Alive|Room 3
GenericPC|DEAD|Room 1
Gezina|DEAD|Room 1
GoC|Alive|Room 3
Hivemind Ghost|Alive|Room 3
HyramGraff|Alive|Room 3
Jazzman|Alive|Room 3
KewlKat|Alive|Room 3
Krystal Tiger|DEAD|Room 2
Kyrian|Alive|Room 3
Lucid Archon|Alive|Room 3
Mewtarthio|Alive|Room 3
Meynolds|DEAD|Room 1
Orzel|Alive|Room 3
pendell|DEAD|Room 1
pingcode20|Alive|Room 3
Rigel Cyrosea|Alive|Room 3
Rumda|Alive|Room 3
Thes Hunter|Alive|Room 3
Warpfire777|DEAD|Room 1
Zar Peter|Alive|Rooom 3
[/table]

Next room will go up later. Let's see, which one you stumbled into...

[roll0]

Thes Hunter
2007-04-23, 04:41 PM
Yay! Together again!

GoC
2007-04-23, 07:42 PM
"Mewtarthio, could you please heal Calamity? And pingcode, could you please give one item to each of Calamity and Orzel?"

pingcode20
2007-04-23, 10:52 PM
"Hmm? Not a problem. I'm hanging on to the toolset, though."

Pingcode holds out the scimitar and pole he had tucked under his arm to Orzel and Calamity.

"Take your pick."

He passes them whichever one of the two they each choose, before following the others.

DarkLightDragon
2007-04-23, 10:56 PM
*DLD looks around*

Anyone else need healing?

pendell
2007-04-24, 09:16 AM
Sooo, now that I'm dead ...

GM, why were you so upset that your sister succumbed to my legendary charms? Were you interested in her yourself?

I mean, ya oughta be thanking me, not killing me. She was staring at spinsterhood into her 30s if I had not intervened out of pure compassion.

Running now,

Brian P.

Mewtarthio
2007-04-24, 09:40 AM
"Alright, I'll see what I can do for Calamity. Though I'm worried that a broken leg may not be strictly considered HP damage, per se. I can definately fix that bleeding and his other injuries."

Akaziel
2007-04-24, 10:36 AM
99? That's bad...right?

Aegeus
2007-04-24, 03:13 PM
99? I'm betting sphere of annihilation bad.

*Digs into the DM's nachos*
Let us eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die!

Silkenfist
2007-04-24, 03:32 PM
Gah...sorry, but I won't get the room up before tomorrow.

Concerning Calamity's broken legs - you should be able to heal the tissue damage and splint the legs. But broken bones are a crippling factor not covered by simple HP regeneration. For now, you will have to crawl, be supported by your companions or use crutches.

pingcode20
2007-04-24, 06:47 PM
Looks like Calamity gets the 10ft pole then.

"Well, uh, I suppose we really need to get one leg working, at the very least. I think I might be able to make splints or a pair of crutches from the 10ft pole, so if you can get a leg working, then I'll make some crutches and you'll be able to hobble along.

Or, maybe you can convince someone to trade you for one of those halflings."

Orzel
2007-04-24, 07:48 PM
"I"ll take the scimitar. Now I have 2 weapons. If I find some vine and branches ,I'll carve a waliking stick." Orzel sighed and juggled his rock. "Onward?"

Aegeus
2007-04-24, 08:18 PM
"I highly recommend that Calamity try to get a halfling slave to walk in front, set off traps, and do other things you need legs for.