PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Underwater armour for an aquatic campaign.

EccentricCircle
2015-05-01, 11:15 AM
I'm preparing a campaign set entirely underwater where the players will all be playing as members of various aquatic races. We decided not to handwave the massive impracticality of wearing metal armour underwater, and it stands to reason that aquatic races would come up with some equivalent of their own through the use of magic, alchemy etc.
Here is the list i've come up with.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1j24wvwplneur1/Armor.docx?dl=0
I've essentially tried to replace the existing armour table, rather than just changing the prices of things like bracers of armour and rings of protection as they stand. I'll be interested to see what people think and to see how it all works in play once the game gets going.

Swimsilk
Most swimsilk garments are not intended as armour, they rarely cover the whole body and cannot stop many weapons. It is possible to buy vests of unusually thick swimsilk, which offer very limited protection. However these are awkward to swim in and so are rarely ideal. Swimsilk armour is available as a padded vest that protects the body, or as a tunic or leotard that offers more protection to the limbs, but at the expense of reduced agility.
Equipment Harness
Equipment harnesses are essential for anyone wishing to carry a large volume of material underwater. These are designed to distribute the weight of weapons and equipment around the body so that it has as little impact on swimming ability as possible.
Steelsilk
The elves long ago found a way to weave fine metal thread into garments of padded swimsilk. These are far more effective as armour and provide a better trade off for the inevitable loss of dexterity. A steelsilk vest is reasonably easy to swim in, while a leotard of body suit offers protection over a larger area, but hampers movement underwater to a somewhat greater extent.
Deflection Bracers and Wraps
For those who can afford magic the deflection bracers are a more practical solution than steelsilk garments. These are cuffs of enchanted silk, worn around the forearms and legs which can magically deflect some attacks. A more expensive variant consists of several bands of silk that wrap around the limbs and body. These are more expensive to enchant and slightly more difficult for the unpractised to wear while swimming.
Warscales
The Mer empire have a different solution when it comes to arming their warriors. Warscale is an alchemical substance which can be painted onto the skin while in a dry environment. When exposed to water it hardens into a coat of scintillating scales which are tough enough to deflect a blade. Wearing warscales is quite an expensive armour option in the long run, since one application will only last for a limited amount of time. The AC bonus granted by an application of Warscale decreases by one for each day that it is worn, unless another coat is applied. Doing so restores the AC bonus to the maximum provided by the new application, remaining days do not stack. The best type of Warscale is that worn by the triton warriors who defend the Mer Empire, this lasts for five days.
Elven Mithrilweave
Mithrilweave is an extremely expensive variant of steelsilk made by master craftsmen among the elves. It is somewhat lighter than the equivalent and provides better armour. However it is not often sold to outsiders, and suits of this armour are often handed down within elven houses.
Atlantean Armour
Conventional Armour is made and used by the Atlanteans. This is not intended for use under water and anyone who leaves an air filled space while wearing the equivalent of full plate armour will quickly sink. It is only used by the guards of Atlantean nobles, and only really for ceremonial purposes.
Defensive Talismans
Defensive talismans are common among the Mer, these are enchanted items that are often worn as necklaces, bracelets or sewn into clothing. They are less cumbersome than armour, but can often turn aside a blade.

I'll be interested to hear any suggestions or comments.

Debihuman
2015-05-05, 10:43 AM
While I have plenty of underwater resource book, it's always nice to see a new homebrew. Where would one get swimsilk? Is this a non-magical thread from an underwater spider?

The bracers are definitely magical so you'd still need to explain the construction costs and all. Craft Magical Arms and Armor feat, appropriate spell and figuring out the cost.

Steelsilk needs a hardness per inch and hit points to be fully fleshed out. . Can it be used out of water or does it lose some properties when dry?

Debby

EccentricCircle
2015-05-05, 11:03 AM
I'm writing more setting detail at the moment. Swimsilk was created by the aquatic elves of Aurėlindė, who bread or discovered a form of aquatic silkworm in the tropical waters of the Coral Hills. Nowerdays most of the underwater civilizations have some means of creating it. They might have reverse engineered it, or stolen silkworms to start their own factories.

I still need to figure out the costs for the magic stuff, yes. That will be the next stage of the project as well as coming up with some more magic items specific to the setting. I'll probably be posting more stuff as I come up with it. although it might not be soon, as this is just one of many projects at present.