PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Boosting CMB vs. CMD Spells - Any Advice?

Miss Disaster
2015-05-01, 05:50 PM
I'm a big fan of the Pathfinder sub-category of spells that specifically require a CMB vs. CMD roll for success. Spells such as Black Tentacles, Mad Monkeys, Hydraulic Torrent, Strangling Hair, Telekinesis, etc.

Since I'm rather new to Pathfinder, I'm not too knowledgeable on what tricks are needed to get these to scale properly into the mid-to-high levels. In 3.5, similar spells were pretty easy to boost due to the vast array of Spell Level boosters that were around. But PF seems to have less Spell Level boosters and the CMB-vs.-CMD mechanic really makes these spells get outdated very quickly (also due to the massive CMD uptick that most PF monsters get as the CR's rise).

So yeah, I have a pretty good understanding of all the various Spell Level boosters that come from feats and traits. But I'm not too savvy on possible magic items or other more obscure game mechanics that help boost these spells efficacy.

---

P.S. I have access to every single PF book, if that helps.

Miss Disaster
2015-05-02, 02:27 PM
Normal attack spells that use "Save vs. XXX" can scale through all the pre-Epic levels by using the Heighten Spell feat.

So I like to think that these CMB-vs.-CMD spells might have a similar game mechanic to help make them more viable through those same levels.

Ssalarn
2015-05-02, 03:13 PM
CMB vs. CMD spells combine well with transmutation effects that decrease your enemy's size or lower their STR or DEX. Probably not exactly what you're looking for but a good tactic nonetheless.

Psyren
2015-05-03, 01:29 AM
Three words: Quickened True Strike :smalltongue:

Note however that not all of these spells are created equal. As written, some of these spells cause YOU to make a CMB check, while others create/summon something, and then THAT makes the CMB check. Most of your bonuses will apply to the former, but not the latter.

Example 1: Black Tentacles states: "When determining the tentacles' CMB, the tentacles use your caster level as their base attack bonus and receive a +4 bonus due to their Strength and a +1 size bonus. " Therefore, even if you have Improved Grapple, it will not help them.

Example 2: Hydraulic Push states: "You can use this blast of water to make a bull rush against any one creature or object. Your CMB for this bull rush is equal to your caster level plus your Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma modifier, whichever is highest." Therefore, if you have Improved Bull Rush, the bonus will apply to Hydraulic Push; as written, your size will apply as well.

Casting True Strike on yourself will work with Hydraulic Push. but not with Black Tentacles, as written.

Miss Disaster
2015-05-04, 04:02 PM
Good point on the different types of CMB/CMD spells.

And yeah, these spells scale a little better at the higher levels when in tandem with party members who have synergetic debuffing abilities.

Geddy2112
2015-05-04, 04:20 PM
Since most spells that have a CMB use your caster level, boosting your caster level will boost the effect of the spell. Things like the moon circlet, greater karma prayer beads(needs a UMD), an orange ioun stone and a varisian tattoo/ mages tattoo, probably in evocation/conjuration as this is the majority to all of the spells that use CMB/CMD.

On the flip side, there is grease, which buffs CMD against grapples as a spell.