PDA

View Full Version : Wild Reaper animal companion question [3.5]

Bad Wolf
2015-05-01, 06:57 PM
The entry for the Wild Reaper Druid ACF's animal companion states that the animal must be an omnivorous or carnivorous animal that feeds on carrion. Which animals do that? All I see is Dire rat, which kinda sucks. If there aren't any good ones, I'm using the CM Elemental Companion instead.

Thatwarforged
2015-05-01, 07:02 PM
Most carnivorous animals feed upon carrion, does it call out for animals that just feed on carrion?
Wolves, Coyotes, eagles and vultures all eat carrion. Though not exclusively.

Also from the Wiki page. Vultures, hawks, eagles, hyenas, Virginia opossum, Tasmanian devils, coyotes, Komodo dragons, and burying beetles. Many large carnivores that hunt regularly, such as hyenas, but also animals rarely thought of as scavengers, such as lions and wolves, will scavenge if given the chance.

Also lets not forget about the long time favorite Tyrannosaurus rex.

Bad Wolf
2015-05-01, 07:17 PM
Not sure, though it seems to mean animals that just eat carrion.

Thatwarforged
2015-05-01, 07:22 PM
Not sure, though it seems to mean animals that just eat carrion.

That would mean just beetles, vultures and komodo dragons are the most of the animals that exclusively eat carrion. Since most ecosystems can't support animals that eat mainly carrion. I would ask the GM, but I would say it means animals that eat carrion whenever possible (Most large carnivores) since this give an actual list not just one animal to choose from.

Bad Wolf
2015-05-01, 07:28 PM
That would mean just beetles, vultures and komodo dragons are the most of the animals that exclusively eat carrion. Since most ecosystems can't support animals that eat mainly carrion. I would ask the GM, but I would say it means animals that eat carrion whenever possible (Most large carnivores) since this give an actual list not just one animal to choose from.

I'll ask around, thanks.

Bronk
2015-05-01, 08:51 PM
There's also the 'Terror Bird' from the Fiend Folio. It specifically calls out being either an apex predator or a scavenger, depending on its ecosystem.

DrMotives
2015-05-01, 09:06 PM
There's the carrion eater from Libris Mortis, which is kinda like a rat-badger thing. Vultures are in sandstorm, ravens & crows certainly eat carrion. Jackals too, and for a komodo dragon just advance a monitor lizard from MM1. Dinosaurs are more arguable, but plead a case for any you think will munch carrion. If vermin are ok, than various beetles, dire cockroach from Underdark, dire maggot from LM, giant slugs and velvet worms from Lost Empires, plus all centipedes.

ShurikVch
2015-05-02, 12:23 PM
According to Wikipedia article, hyenas, wolves, and even lions are carrion eaters; and, maybe, Tyrannosaurus too...

Theodred theOld
2015-05-03, 02:12 PM
Also from the Wiki page. Vultures, hawks, eagles, hyenas, Virginia opossum, Tasmanian devils, coyotes, Komodo dragons, and burying beetles.

Somebody please stat up a Virginia opossum.

PraxisVetli
2015-05-03, 08:54 PM
There's also the 'Terror Bird' from the Fiend Folio. It specifically calls out being either an apex predator or a scavenger, depending on its ecosystem.

+1 to Terror Bird

Bad Wolf
2015-05-03, 09:23 PM
Never mind, decided to go with Sidhe Scholar Druid. Thanks everyone.

nintendoh
2015-05-04, 07:27 AM
Somebody please stat up a Virginia opossum.

Became my new favorite quote