PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Diehard Equivalent

Jowgen
2015-05-02, 10:33 AM
Because of reasons, I may need to acquire the equivalent of the Diehard feat. This means a) ability to auto-stabilize, and b) being able to act as disabled while at -1 to -9.

I feel like I've come across items that do this very thing, but I can't quite remember. :smallannoyed:

Or, if someone could please figure out how to de-construct the pricing of the Basilisk's Mask from Dragon 340 p. 68, as to figure out how much Diehard adds to the price of that item; that might be an alternative.

Solaris
2015-05-02, 10:38 AM
What does that get you that bonus/temporary hit points don't? False life (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/falseLife.htm) could provide a fairly similar benefit at low cost.

Jowgen
2015-05-02, 10:43 AM
What does that get you that bonus/temporary hit points don't?

The ability to auto stabilize and act as disabled at -1 to -9 HP :smalltongue:

I need them specifically. It's a long home-table story that wouldn't add to the thread. :smallsigh:

Necroticplague
2015-05-02, 10:51 AM
Beastland Ferocity gives you this ability exactly.

Uncle Pine
2015-05-02, 11:01 AM
A (slotless) custom item of Beastland Ferocity (SC) is what you're looking for. It's 4.000 gp if slotless, 2.000 gp otherwise. However, note that Beastland Ferocity doesn't automatically make you stable like Diehard does. A cheap way to circumvent this limitation is to buy one (or several) contingent Cure Minor Wounds spells (50 gp each) that activate whenever you go into the negatives (be sure to word each contingency slightly differently so that they don't all activate the first time you go down).

EDIT: i.e. Contingency #1: "When I'm reduced to negative hit points."
#2: "When I'm reduced to negative hit points and contingency #1 doesn't stabilize me."
#3: "When I'm reduced to negative hit points and contingency #2 doesn't stabilize me."
And so on.

Glimbur
2015-05-02, 12:05 PM
You can get the ability from one feat rather than two via Shape Soulmeld: Rage Claws. I'm not sure that does what you need, but on the other hand with some Essentia you can act further into the negatives: die at -13 or -16 or whatever. Check your local copy of Magic of Incarnum for details.

mabriss lethe
2015-05-02, 04:52 PM
While not quite what you want, The Autohypnosis skill might be of some use for you, with a dc 20 skill check to stabilize as a free action and another dc 20 check to allow you to act normally for a round while disabled.

Necroticplague
2015-05-02, 04:56 PM
A (slotless) custom item of Beastland Ferocity (SC) is what you're looking for. It's 4.000 gp if slotless, 2.000 gp otherwise. However, note that Beastland Ferocity doesn't automatically make you stable like Diehard does.

Depends on if you consider bleeding out a penalty, since beastland ferocity lets you fight without penalty. Or, even if you don't, being able to act while dying means you can use Iron Heart Surge to remove the 'dying' condition.

JoranShadeslayr
2015-05-02, 06:47 PM
A brooch of stabilty (MIC page 83) automatically stabilizes you if you get to -1 hp once per day and is only 1,000 gp. Get 4-5 and swap them out as needed.